Expedition: Halfpint: Mapping the Forest - 12 Oct 2021

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition: Halfpint: Mapping the Forest - 12 Oct 2021

#61 Post by Spearmint »

prompt for actions, attack rolls from Halfpint abd Berta please. Amishona (npc) will fire two arrows into the tree stump this round then run with her axe next.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by onlyme »

Halfpint will not attack this round, as others are flinging things in. Melee exposes her to friendly fire and ranged exposes Fairfax.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#63 Post by rossik »

Berta charge in battle, ready to defend one of her group! She tries to bash the stomp, as her weapon wouldnt have much effect to cut the root.

[1d20-1] = 20-1 = 19 [1d6-1] = 6-1 = 5

(ooc: sweet Moradin's beard! thats maximum for both dice, sans my modifier)

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by Spearmint »

Logging Site:

In the small wooden cabin, Laila reacts instinctively to the orc grasping her and stabs him to death. Wiping the bloody blade clean she just walks out the room with few words or reasons. As she gets to the door, the Halfling's cries for help are distinctly heard. Berta rushes in where angels and Halfpint fear to tread. Fairfax struggles against the grasping roots. They have his legs entwined and it drags him towards the toothy maw, snapping in anticipation of a succulent nibble. In fear more than in faith, Fairfax flings his hammer at the chomping stump. The shaft bounces on the ground and stops upright, the hammer head wedged between to incisors which crunch down upon the Halfling as the Wolf-in-Sheep's-clothing tries to bite into his victim as he is half stuffed into the cavity. The former puppet 'squirrowleer' mannequin now dangling from the roof of the mouth like some bizarre uvula.

Crunch ... amazingly the hammer stands just a partial inch taller than the halfling's leg and much stouter. The creatures bites down and loses teeth as the strong implement refuses to buckle like a toothpick. In fury, the W-I-S-C uses a second root stem to grab the offending article out of it's mouth. Blood and sap intermingle with the loose and broken gnashers of the stump. The dwarf's hammer blow further adding to the crushing effects. Amishona sends a volley of arrows into the barkskin aberration. They 'thunk' into the stump with little sprays of sap spurting out as the shafts impale. Thedla looses a stone to minimal effect.

Amishona bow attack [1d20+1] = 17+1 = 18 damage [1d8] = 2 [1d20+1] = 14+1 = 15 [1d8] = 1

okay, initiative and next actions please. Fairfax is still grabbed and entwined by the roots.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by onlyme »

Halfpint takes her sword and tries to pierce a root.
short sword (thac0 16) [1d20+3] = 10+3 = 13; [1d6+1] = 3+1 = 4
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by Zhym »

Thedla finds himself frustrated that all he can do is sling rocks at in the general vicinity of the remarkable plant. "Get away from the plant!" he pleads. "It's no threat if we aren't near it, and it's a rare plant. It would be a shame to destroy it if we don't have to."

Sling (THAC0 20): [1d20+1] = 4+1 = 5 [1d4] = 1
rossik wrote:[1d20-1] = 20-1 = 19 [1d6-1] = 6-1 = 5

(ooc: sweet Moradin's beard! thats maximum for both dice, sans my modifier)
By Marullus's crit rules, that should be 11 points of damage or 1 damage and a special effect. I'm surprised no one went for making the WISC let Fairfax go as a special effect.

rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#67 Post by rossik »

Zhym wrote:By Marullus's crit rules, that should be 11 points of damage or 1 damage and a special effect. I'm surprised no one went for making the WISC let Fairfax go as a special effect.[/ooc]

this is supposing we all knew about this rule, hehe.

Berta raises her hammer, like she was going to spike the creature stump to the ground.
"May your gods forgive us for killing it, Thedla. But it must be done""

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Zhym »

I did point out how the rule works and the option to use it to relase Fairfax here: viewtopic.php?f=353&t=8991&start=40#p443667 :)

rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#69 Post by rossik »

Zhym wrote:I did point out how the rule works and the option to use it to relase Fairfax here: viewtopic.php?f=353&t=8991&start=40#p443667 :)

Just saying, as not all of us are that familiar with the game, or even have english as first language ;)
But thanks for the reminder and the link!

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Spearmint »

I have thought of a good description for the critical effect. The hammer bounces on the floor and comes to a standstill, upright in the maw of the creature. As it tries to bite the half long it clamps down upon the short but strong hammer shaft which sticks between upper and lower teeth, cracking them and putting them out. The tree bites the hammer not my leg.

She tries to bash the stomp, as her weapon wouldn't have much effect to cut the root.
I used both of those effects for the critical hits and character actions. I also didn't penalise Fairfax another round of auto-grappling damage from the strangling stump roots. I am applying the benefits of good hits but it just hasn't released (or eaten) Fairfax yet.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#71 Post by Bluetongue »

Fairfax grits his teeth, a little more comfortably than the creature can after knocking out a few of the large incisors. Still caught up in the grasping root, he decides to perform one of his 'miracle escapes' as demonstrated in local fayres and festivals to much applause and aplomb.

In my introduction he used some handcuffs as part of an act at the festival which he still has, though thankfully the locks are open and not restrained on his wrists. I would like to reach into my pouch and grab them, opening the handcuff and fastening it around the grasping root and the one flailing my hammer or another closer stalk. I have no other weapon to hand so must be creative.

Fairfax 'to hit' grasping vines [1d20] = 17

Sleight of hand % [1d100] = 19

rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#72 Post by rossik »

rossik wrote:
Zhym wrote:By Marullus's crit rules, that should be 11 points of damage or 1 damage and a special effect. I'm surprised no one went for making the WISC let Fairfax go as a special effect.[/ooc]

this is supposing we all knew about this rule, hehe.

Berta raises her hammer, like she was going to spike the creature stump to the ground.
"May your gods forgive us for killing it, Thedla. But it must be done""

(ooc: facepalm: i believe i rolled but forgot to post. the rolls are stored anywhere? )

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by Zhym »

rossik wrote:(ooc: facepalm: i believe i rolled but forgot to post. the rolls are stored anywhere? )
You should be able to find them in the dice roller using the "Search" button in the character list. It looks like this:

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#75 Post by Faanku »

As the other two rush towards the melee, Laila uses the distraction outside to surreptitiously resume her search of the non-confirmed dead orc.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Spearmint »

Logging site.

Sheep in wolf clothing: initiative, grapple, bite, bite damage [1d6] = 1 [1d4] = 4 [1d20] = 4 [1d6] = 3

Laila about to step out the cabin procrastinates enough for the others to step ahead of her. She sneaks back to confirm the kill and frisk through the dead orc' s pockets.

Thedla advises caution. His sling launched stone gathers moss, rolling yards away. Berta and Halfpint join up to attack the grasping root, hammering and slicing the thick tendrils. Amishona joins in the frantic melee with her chopping axe. The tough roots are sinewy and difficult to sever, strips of bark are frayed off revealing splitting inner cords.

Fairfax struggles, he gets whipped towards the chomping maw, open wide with pointy teeth like a bear trap. He gets a glimpse of the mouth and inside an undigested long arm. Thankfully he wriggles away from the chomp but the constricting coils squeeze more life out of him. -4 hp

Frantic, he attaches his cuffs to another root, hoping he to anchor himself. 'Clink', the cuffs snap around a vine but not the one he intended. As he is pulled, the attached stalk is pulled. The cuff slides down to to end and Fairfax comes eyeball to eyeball with the creatures eyeball. A bulbous leaf rimmed oracle that states at him in surprise.

actions and initiative please.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#77 Post by Bluetongue »

Fairfax Socrates

As you drown visions of your life flash before you, family, friends, fiesta's. Choked and asphyxiated, he strangely thinks, "Don't look at the light!" as if eternity especially tunnel was calling him.

Reaching for the root that has frayed bark and inner cords, he tries his best impression of tearing it asunder like a mad man going through a directory or a lion roping his prey. Red in the face like a squished plum about to pop, he hopes he doesn't splatter blood on the others if he dies burst and that his gives the tree stump the sh!ts.

Strength check vs 10, [1d20] = 17 escapology [1d100] = 54

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by Zhym »

From a hopefully-safe distance, Thedla continues slinging stones into the general vicinity of the carnivorous plant.

Sling (THAC0 20): [1d20+1] = 9+1 = 10 [1d4] = 3

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by onlyme »

Halfpint continues slashing with her half-sized sword, but to little avail.
short sword (thac0 16) [1d20+3] = 7+3 = 10; [1d6+1] = 2+1 = 3

someone other than me, please roll for init, please...

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Zhym »

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”