[001] - A Spot of Gardening

Faanku
ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: [001] - A Spot of Gardening

#101 Post by ybn1197 »

Enoch wrote:Odo nods in agreement and leans forward to speak into the microphone. "Captain? My name is Captain Vyrner Odo. We were sent by Kal Kasima to help. I know you can't respond, but I want to assure you we mean you no harm. We're going to open the door now. Nod if that's acceptable."

Assuming she does nod or otherwise signal agreement, Odo will nod for Benedict to open the door.
Assuming she nods, Benedict will open the blast doors.

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#102 Post by Faanku »

The Flowerbed, Deep Space, Ankanju Ratri System
Thursday 20-01-3200
00:07

The Captain can be seen to nod once on the control room monitors, and the tension in the staging area seems to dissipate soon after. Weapons are holstered or lowered, though one or two of the pirates remain vigilant. Confirming one last time with the group, Benedict presses a few buttons on the control console and releases the heavy maglock sealing the staging area off, the large doors sliding open and freeing the imprisoned pirates. Several of them move out quickly down the two corridors, ignoring your presence and executing orders given by Captain Nina Rose, who now stands before you flanked by two incredibly grizzled-looking pirates. She herself is unarmed, though her bodyguards both hold combat shotguns in a manner that suggests they know how to use them. After surveying the control room and fixing Skunk with an enigmatic gaze, she greets you in a dispassionate tone. "I'm Nina Rose, captain of this station; but of course you already know that. That's why you're here. Bao doesn't like it when business is irregular, and neither do I." She looks over the party appraisingly, then looks down at the smouldering wreck of the robot. "Hollen, get me security feeds starting two hours before the first breach alarm." Again she glares at Skunk, who seems to move behind Anghar almost subconsciously, as the man named Hollen moves to the rear security panel and begins digging through the security footage. "And while we wait," she says looking to the party. "You can tell me what happened here."
There are roughly a dozen Flowerbed crew now scattered around the station, the majority lurking around their captain with visible weaponry. You are outnumbered about 2:1. You don't think your lives are in particular danger unless you choose to escalate the situation, but for the record assume they're all wearing vaccsuit armour and carry a mixture of TL4 combat shotguns and laser pistols.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#103 Post by Marullus »

Finished with the robot for now, Damian quietly scoops the remains into his duffel as he packs up and puts away his toolkit. He then stands behind Hollen at the rear monitors to watch the screen himself.

eirei
Scout
Scout

#104 Post by eirei »

Leaving the robotic remains to Damian, Silas dusts off his hands and turns around to face captain Rose.

"We were actually hoping you would tell us", he says, looking at the rest of the crew for backup.
"As you know, we were sent here by our mutual friend, who had faith you wouldn't just... up and disappear for no reason. He was right, as usual. Spiked in, docked, found Skunk here nearly dead-"

He pauses, turns towards Skunk and frowns.

"For what it's worth, he was really helpful in finding you. Insisted the captain wouldn't leave her sinking ship. Take it easy on the kid, would you?"

"Anyway, we found the boy, he led us to the damned eggbot here", he says as he kicks the chassis for emphasis, "and then we found you. I reckon your part of the story is more interesting?"

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#105 Post by Faanku »

Thursday 20-01-3200
00:21

Captain Rose's iron gaze doesn't leave Silas' as he explains how they found the Flowerbed, then there is an awkward period of silence as she receives reports from her crew exploring the station, confirming the fates of Vinny and Flint amongst others. One of the older bodyguards flanking Nina Rose swears loudly and punches the wall of the command room when he hears of Skunk's brother's demise, giving the younger boy a look of genuine concern after he regains his composure; Rose remains impassive throughout, but puts a hand on the man's shoulder by way of consolation. The upset pirate raises his weapon and takes a deep breath, but whatever he was about to say is interrupted by Hollen at the southern terminal. "It's done, Captain. That egg thing..." he looks down at hole-ridden robot. "Well, it might be quicker to see for yourself. It ain't pretty viewing, Larsik." His warning is directed to the man with Rose's hand on his shoulder.

The owner of the Heartbreaker's response is calm and measured, every syllable a threat. "That boy was like a fucking son to me, Hollen. Play the goddamn footage afore I send you to hell to meet him."

Without needing any further encouragement, Hollen replays the highlights of the last few days aboard the Flowerbed. It all starts where Skunk said it did, with a disturbance in the storage room caused by the strange metallic egg 'waking up' and transforming itself into the squat, humanoid figure that lays at your feet. Once ambulatory, the robot made its way into the hallways where it encountered the deceased known as Vinny, a torrent of laser fire ending his life before Flint and Skunk came to investigate. After the two of them were mortally wounded, the robot made its way south around the station, murdering Sig in his seat and taking control of the station's security systems. It immediately activated the spoofed emergency alert, sending the station's inhabitants in a panicked rush to the staging area to suit up, before sealing the doorways to both rooms and entering some kind of hibernation mode until it was awoken by the party's arrival. Anyone paying attention notices Larsik's fist clenched tightly the moment Flint is gunned down, and tears form in Skunk's eyes as he relives the moment he lost his brother.

"That's... pretty much it..." Hollen says weakly as the feed catches up to the current time. There is a strong sense of lamentation and anguish in the control room, but all eyes seem to look towards Nina Rose; you get the sense that this crew relies on her guidance even more than Skunk let on, and even Larsik glances sideways at her waiting for her to speak on the matter before opening his own mouth. After taking a breath, she speaks to the gathered party. "Whatever your motives, you've done a service for my crew. Our losses could have been a lot worse if you hadn't handled this anomaly with the finesse that you did. We're down manpower, and morale, but nothing we can't work through." Nina Rose's face still betrays no emotion as she extends her hand to shake your own, but Anghar senses the bittersweet relief she feels that most of her men survived. "The Flowerbed is open to you; though I'm sure you'd rather leave with our delayed shipment as soon as possible."

The rest of the control room, Larsik included, relax somewhat after this exchange. It seems you are no longer seen as a potential threat, so many of them head off to begin exhuming their former friends and cleaning the station. Skunk remains loitering behind Anghar, but almost in a daze, as if the adrenaline that was maintaining his consciousness has begun to fade now that it's finally over. Captain Rose herself awaits your own answer, and seems prepared to answer any questions you may have for her, with Larsik at her side.
Damian can indeed detach the databanks from the robot's remains if he wishes.

explosiveghast
Scout
Scout

#106 Post by explosiveghast »

As he clasps hands with Rose, Agnahr sympathizes with the tragedy and reiterates the words of Silas. "Thank you, Captain. We are all real sorry for your losses. Let us help you with the fallen before anything else. Wait... Straight away, Skunk deserves some rack time and a visit from your med technician. He took a nasty shot and here he is, still kicking. He has not stopped pushing himself once since we met. Solid crew." He nods admirably in recognition at the wounded man. Then, with tremendous concern, he gingerly passes Skunk toward Rose.

"Your hospitality is appreciated and as you say, we do need to complete that delivery. Still, you are a few good men down and if we can assist you with the fallen or investigating this robot threat, I would like to think that this lot would like the opportunity to do some more work offworld. " He searches the eyes of the rest of the team.

Looking toward Larsik at the controls he suggests to Silas and the others, "Maybe we ought to shoot the client a status update."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by Marullus »

"If I may ask, where did this robot come from?" Damian asks Rose, cleaning up his tools and the spare parts.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by ybn1197 »

explosiveghast wrote:Looking toward Larsik at the controls he suggests to Silas and the others, "Maybe we ought to shoot the client a status update."
Benedict looks at the others in their squad before turning to Agnahr. "I suggest we make that a priority before even contemplating any other course of action."

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#109 Post by Faanku »

Thursday 20-01-3200
00:27

"We didn't know it was no robot!" One of the pirates in the control room replies to Damian emphatically. "Was just some weird metal egg when we brought it in. Shit like that usually goes for a packet down planetside, loads of rich cunts willing to pay top cred for mysterious junk. Thought we'd hit the jackpot..." He trails off as Captain Rose interjects after Benedict's comment, her tone sharp and decisive. "No signals from the Flowerbed. There's a relay we tightbeam to from the Heatbreaker, less chance of tracing our location." Larsik nods, as if this is common sense as Rose continues, her eyes on Skunk. "Larsik, get him to the bunks. See that he lives." The scarred older pirate replies in the affirmative and carefully half-carries Skunk over his shoulder out of the control room. As the younger pirate rapidly loses consciousness, Larsik signals to you from behind Rose's back with his head, nodding towards the dorm rooms; it seems he wants one of your crew to follow him.

As they leave, Rose gives one last emotionless look to the robot husk and then returns her focus to you. "The shipment, then. Two of you, follow me." She commands the party, heading towards the storage room.

explosiveghast
Scout
Scout

#110 Post by explosiveghast »

Obligingly, Agnahr steps in to help Larsik support Skunk and bear the survivor toward his bunk.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#111 Post by Enoch »

Vymar Odo Agnahr with an expression of concern as the warrior accompanies Skunk out of the room, glancing back at the captain several times as they make their way out. As Agnahr is in the doorway Odo calls out "we'll keep comms open--keep in touch."

He turns back to the captain with a mostly-sincere businesslike smile. "I'll accompany you, Captain. I believe we have the details about the pickup here..." He pats at several pockets before pulling out his compad.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by Marullus »

Time to lean hard into "Goal: To discover pre-tech truths; no others could understand them."

Hoping to Connect with them (+1) but understand of the GM applies Talk (-1) instead.
Damian gather leads... [1d6] = 4[1d6] = 5
Damian Stavros (HP: 1/1, AC: 14)

Having done all he can with the egg-bot and saved key circuits for later study, Damian slings his duffel back on his shoulder. With Odo, Rose and Agnhar all heading out to do other business, Damian opens up and gets chatty with the crew remaining behind with him in the control room. He chats up whomever seems receptive, comparing notes on seedy locales and spaceborne bone fides, then working his way around to re-asking about where the egg came from and how the crew came to have it to see what he can learn before the leadership files back in.

eirei
Scout
Scout

#113 Post by eirei »

Silas joins Odo and the captain as they head to pick up the shipment.

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#114 Post by Faanku »

Thursday 20-01-3200
00:41

With great care, Larsik hefts Skunk to the large bunk room and gets him onto one of the racks in the corner, with a few of the other crew tagging along. The Flowerbed's Second-in-command looks over the wounded boy's injuries, but the lazarus patch seems to be doing its job. After a few seconds, he takes a deep breath. "Now listen, I ain't one for fancy talk or beating around the bush, so I'll just come right out and speak my mind; when you go, I want you to take the kid with you. You ain't gotta look after him or feed him or nothing like that, he can take care of himself if he's planet-side. Station like this ain't no place for him; he's only here cause of his brother, and HE was only here cause of me." The older pirate looks at you and sighs, as if resigning himself to the fact that more of an explanation is due. "About 20 years back, I used to fly with the craziest bitch this side of the sector. She'd drink anyone in the bar under the table, shoot anyone she thought looked at her funny, then take her pick of the men home to fuck until the sun came up. The sort of crazy you're fucking glad is part of your crew, just so you ain't gotta worry about bumping into her out in the black, right?" He smiles, clearly reminiscing on better times, and one or two of the more veteran-looking Flowerbed crew in the sleeping quarters nod in silent agreement. "Well, that fucking bitch one day says she's found her dream man, gonna hit one more big score and hang up her guns. Never met the guy myself, but he must have been one hell of a charmer to tame her." He clears his throat. "Anyways, the long and short of it is she says her goodbyes, settles down fuck-knows-where on Mejo and that was the last I heard about her, until 5 years later word reaches me that she's gone and gotten herself killed. Old grudge, random chance, who the hell knows, but they apparently found her with a hole in her head you could put your fist through. The husband, dunno if he was there and caught a bullet too, or if he skipped out long before it happened, I just know that the galaxy was out one crazy bitch, who'd left behind a couple of boys." He nods to the unconscious Skunk, indicating that he is one of them. "And now this poor fucker's lost his brother, only person that gave a fuck about him... ah fuck, I'm rambling on trying to ask a simple fucking favour. Will you do this for me? I know you already saved our fucking skin once today and that ain't forgotten, but this would be personal. I'd owe you one, and that ain't something I give away freely." Again the few veterans nod in agreement, and Anghar gets a read that Larsik holds to some twisted kind of honour. "So will you help the kid out?"

Whilst Larsik reveals Skunk's past to Anghar, Nina Rose leads Odo and Silas to the storage room and begins silently disengaging the biolocks on the safe containing the stim shipment, accompanied by a handful of pirates. Once the safe is open, she removes the metalloy case and turns to face the two men. "The number of people aware of the Flowerbed's location until today was 37. Now there are 5 more. 5 people I do not trust with this information. I see two ways to rectify this, and one of them leaves much less to chance. Behind them, Odo and Silas hear the distinctively ominous noise of two shotguns chambering a shell, Rose's emotionless eyes never leaving the far trader's; Silas has a weapon in his hand in a reflexive flash, though even without his combat senses he knows the odds are heavily against him. "Logic dictates that you die here, though doing so will sour our relationship with Bao, which in turn is bad for business. So instead..." Odo and Silas see the shotguns lowered. "...I will ensure that it is in your better interests to keep the secret. So long as you remain quiet on the Flowerbed's location, my lab's products will be made available to you and your crew at generously reduced rates. I would suggest you not encroach upon Bao's market share back planet-side, for my own sake as well as your own, but I am sure a businessman such as yourself can understand the margins to be made on such expertly-crafted merchandise." Her face shows no sign of bragging or exaggeration; she is merely stating an objective fact that her drugs are of incredibly high quality. "This is my offer. Do we have a deal?"
Damian discovers that Hollen actually has a passing interest in pretech artefacts, which is what (combined with a lack of business acumen or other notable talent) originally led him to a less savoury lifestyle. He doesn't have any amazing leads, but he does tell Damian about the time he visited Daphion with a former crew of his to witness the amazing technology they have there, the most notable of which being the Webway. The balding pirate talks happily about how his crew 'made a worthy enough tribute' to one of the nobles and was able to travel between two of the Webway gates, which you understand to be some kind of teleportation device akin to the larger pre-Scream space gates. Unfortunately, the words Artificers Vertices are never mentioned, but that would be some coincidence if they were.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#115 Post by Enoch »

"We have no intention of betraying your location, Captain." Odo seems to realize that his hands went up in a submissive gesture almost as quickly as Silas' gun, and he slowly lowers them as the muzzles do the same.

"As you say, we're among the few that know the location of a facility making high-quality goods, and most of the others are on this station. That's what people in my line of work call a 'trade secret', and we're not like to betray them.

"I suppose we could sell that information for a quick payout, but then what? Best-case scenario, we get a small pile of credits and we're back where we started, except now we have a reputation for being untrustworthy."
He shrugs with a smile. "Even without your offer, I imagine we'd keep information like that to ourselves. Never know when that could come in handy, and you can never have too many advantages out here. But with your offer...I think I can speak for the rest of the crew when I say 'we have a deal'."
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

explosiveghast
Scout
Scout

#116 Post by explosiveghast »

Agnahr grips Larsik by the shoulder and consents, “Assume no debt. It would be an honor to take that kid into our charge! He is pretty banged up but when he awakes dirtside on Mejo, he will be in good care. Your Captain is wise to direct Skunk toward Mejo med techs.”

Releasing the weathered spacer, Agnahr indicates the boy in the bunk. “What should we say of his brother? I understand only that he was valued and a tremendous loss to your crew.”

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#117 Post by Marullus »

Damian Stavros (HP: 1/1, AC: 14)

Having befriended Hollen, Damian exchanges Dropbox info for emails and offers to get in touch if there's anything more interesting that comes up. Pleased with the information gained, he packs up the drone and hangs casually with the crew in the control room until the others come back.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#118 Post by ybn1197 »

Benedict hangs out casually in the room with the others. He will try and keep on eye on the monitors for any hints of trouble.

eirei
Scout
Scout

#119 Post by eirei »

Silas puts his hands up, moves his finger off the trigger and holsters his gun slowly.

"You said it yourself, ma'am - do you really think Bao would've hired someone who didn't know when to keep their mouth shut?"
I have no idea who Bao is but maybe Silas does:

[2d6] = 7 Connect + Int
"You handle yourself like a professional - so are we. Give us the benefit of the doubt."

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#120 Post by Faanku »

Thursday 20-01-3200
01:29

Larsik nods to Anghar, pleased with his answer, before the Sarakoulan's question causes him to takes a breath. "That little bastard was sharp as a fucking needle. Fantastic kid, makings of a real captain right there. Always calm, always thinking... I was gonna pass the Heartbreaker down to him, once I'd gotten too old for it all... Crying fucking shame... Ah hell, I need a goddamn spike." The pirate leads Anghar out of the bunks and along the hallway towards the smaller resting area. Already you notice the Flowerbed's crew has cleaned most of the blood and other biowaste from the interior corridors; if you hadn't witnessed the results of the massacre yourself you'd never believe a brutal murder had taken place here. As Larsik opens the dorm aperture, a couple of blissful faces turn to the doorway and smile widely at the two men entering, the sound of mellow ambient music playing softly in the background. One of them speaks slowly, each word conveying joyous serenity. "Hey there, Larsik. Made a new friend, huh?" The older pirate just nods back to the man who leans back against the wall, then Larsik moves to a white medbox and produces a silver stim injector and two slim stimpacks, handing one to Anghar. "Care to join me, friend? I guarantee it'll be the cleanest ride of your life." He loads the injector as he speaks, releasing the fluid into his arm at the end of his sentence. The old pirate's face immediately relaxes, though he remains lucid. "Goes for all your boys. They've earned it and then some. The kid'll be out for hours anyway."

Meanwhile, Odo and Silas have come to an agreement with Captain Rose, who shakes the former's hand before handing Silas the heavy shipment case. "Professional is what I expect. Good then. I'll see that your shuttle is refuelled and primed within the hour." You notice a subtle red light flash inside her right eye, likely an ocular implant of some sort activating. "You are cleared to leave when you decide, though feel free to rest up and enjoy the facilities here on the Flowerbed; you shall be the first to do so outside of my employment." You realise you are becoming somewhat used to the woman's blank expression as she asks of you. "Is there anything else that requires my attention?"

Benedict's vigil in the control room is uneventful, the station's scanners picking nothing up at all, though Hollen and Damian's spirited discussion on the joys of pre-Scream technology helps pass the time.
Silas thinks he has heard the name 'Bao' before, but trawling the depths of his drunken psyche dredges up nothing concrete. He does remember one time hearing the name spoken by a drunken ganger, before his strung out friend hushed him rapidly and warned him about "what happens to guys like us who crosses someone like that." It's all a little hazy, but what isn't after half a bottle of Stingray's Gut Punch?

If Anghar or anyone else wishes to sample the Flowerbed's produce, Larsik will happily oblige; the stim is purely recreational and offers no mechanical benefits, but is of pharmaceutical quality and does not increase system strain. Skunk will likely be out for at least 8 hours, though how and when you take him with you (if that is the plan) is up to you. Consider the current time in game the moment your shuttle is refuelled and ready to launch, the shipment safely loaded inside the smuggling compartment.

Return to “A Return to Form (SWN:Revised)”