First Adventure - DCC #67 Sailors on the Starless Sea Part 1

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: First Adventure - Sailors on the Starless Sea

#381 Post by AQuebman »

ragnboneshopper wrote:"Hold there, lad, what ya be doin?" Rolfo says to Uriel. "I dunno if breakin them all is best or not, tils we know what lies over yonder..." He watches the boat at anchor in the bay, nervously.

Heltel climbs the menhir again and looks up and down the shoreline for any sign of a boat.

Burt ignores Rolfo and helps Uriel smash the skulls.
Heltel climbs the menhir again and looks up and down the shoreline but finds no boat other than the dragon boat that's out a ways into the water.

MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

#382 Post by MrHemlocks »

"Burt, let's do it. Let us swim out to that location where the spirits are taken to. What you say man?" While waiting for Burt's response, Uriel scans the area where the spirits fled and tires to judge the distance. Also, he looks around the area to see if there are any other means of travel other than to swim the water to the other side or head back up the stairs.

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#383 Post by ragnboneshopper »

"Ya can't be serious!" says Rolfo at Uriel's suggestion to swim to the island. "I'd be loath ta step on a boat, myself, but ta swim, I won't do it. No, Martha, I won't do that..." Instead, he asks around for anyone who has a torch or lantern to help him try to send a signal to the boat in the harbor.

Burt laughs at Rolfo. "Don't like the water, friend dwarf? Well let's see..." Burt spits and, with Uriel, gauges the distance to the island to see if it is realistically swimmable. If they determine they might make it, he'll give it a shot, preferring the known activity of swimming to waiting around for unknown terrors.

Meanwhile, Heltel comes down from the menhir and combs the beach for any large pieces of driftwood that might work for building a raft to cross the waters.

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#384 Post by AQuebman »

MrHemlocks wrote:"Burt, let's do it. Let us swim out to that location where the spirits are taken to. What you say man?" While waiting for Burt's response, Uriel scans the area where the spirits fled and tires to judge the distance. Also, he looks around the area to see if there are any other means of travel other than to swim the water to the other side or head back up the stairs.
Burt and Uriel note that the zuggrat is give or take about 50 yards away. The boat is much closer if they wish to swim to that instead and it looks like the rigging could be climbed to get aboard.
ragnboneshopper wrote:"Ya can't be serious!" says Rolfo at Uriel's suggestion to swim to the island. "I'd be loath ta step on a boat, myself, but ta swim, I won't do it. No, Martha, I won't do that..." Instead, he asks around for anyone who has a torch or lantern to help him try to send a signal to the boat in the harbor.

Burt laughs at Rolfo. "Don't like the water, friend dwarf? Well let's see..." Burt spits and, with Uriel, gauges the distance to the island to see if it is realistically swimmable. If they determine they might make it, he'll give it a shot, preferring the known activity of swimming to waiting around for unknown terrors.

Meanwhile, Heltel comes down from the menhir and combs the beach for any large pieces of driftwood that might work for building a raft to cross the waters.
As you carefully check around the beach for driftwood Heltel notices that the sand is churned by hundreds of bestial feet, talons, and hooves. He also discovers a single trail of human footprints close together, likely from being bound along with 4 silver coins.

MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

#385 Post by MrHemlocks »

AQuebman wrote:
MrHemlocks wrote:"Burt, let's do it. Let us swim out to that location where the spirits are taken to. What you say man?" While waiting for Burt's response, Uriel scans the area where the spirits fled and tires to judge the distance. Also, he looks around the area to see if there are any other means of travel other than to swim the water to the other side or head back up the stairs.
Burt and Uriel note that the zuggrat is give or take about 50 yards away. The boat is much closer if they wish to swim to that instead and it looks like the rigging could be climbed to get aboard.
ragnboneshopper wrote:"Ya can't be serious!" says Rolfo at Uriel's suggestion to swim to the island. "I'd be loath ta step on a boat, myself, but ta swim, I won't do it. No, Martha, I won't do that..." Instead, he asks around for anyone who has a torch or lantern to help him try to send a signal to the boat in the harbor.

As you carefully check around the beach for driftwood Heltel notices that the sand is churned by hundreds of bestial feet, talons, and hooves. He also discovers a single trail of human footprints close together, likely from being bound along with 4 silver coins.
Noticing that Hetel has found some tracks Uriel turns to Burt. "Before heading out in that water let's follow these tracks and see where they lead. For it would appeare that a solo human was captured and dragged along the beach to his, more than likely, untimely death. These tracks might lead us to the place where the lost souls remain and haunt this place. What you say?"

Uriel, waits a bit to see if Burt or the others will come along. If no response he will venture forth and follow these traks left in the sand...

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#386 Post by NJWilliam »

Aengus, Bronn, Crow, and Darvin head over to help follow the tracks found on the beach.
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#387 Post by Vargr1105 »

Goratrix likewise advances to check the tracks.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#388 Post by hedgeknight »

"Tracks good...mysterious boat bad," Eldarial mutters as she climbs down the menhir and follows the others.
Winter is coming...

Fearghus
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#389 Post by Fearghus »

Fruldrick follows in tow of the rest of the group, occasionally looking back to make sure nothing sneaks upon them.

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#390 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Heltel picks up the silver coins and looks them over for any distinguishing characteristics, then motions the others to join him. "This trail certainly leads somewhere, though I wonder if we want to go there..."

Burt agrees with Uriel, and even Rolfo reluctantly leaves the lookout on the bay to follow the tracks.

(Heltel drops back, Burt to the front, Rolfo bringing up the rear)

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#391 Post by AQuebman »

MrHemlocks wrote:
AQuebman wrote:

Noticing that Hetel has found some tracks Uriel turns to Burt. "Before heading out in that water let's follow these tracks and see where they lead. For it would appeare that a solo human was captured and dragged along the beach to his, more than likely, untimely death. These tracks might lead us to the place where the lost souls remain and haunt this place. What you say?"

Uriel, waits a bit to see if Burt or the others will come along. If no response he will venture forth and follow these traks left in the sand...
DM: You notice it's not a single human's footprints but several sets of human footprints tightly held together as if they were bound.

After investigating you all see that the footprints seem to come out from the stairs and go directly to the water and end.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#392 Post by hedgeknight »

"As much as I fear to say it, I believe the ship is our destination," Eldarial says, her voice a harsh whisper.
Winter is coming...

Fearghus
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#393 Post by Fearghus »

Fruldrick shakes his head, "What an evil ship. It simply floats: looking at the shore waiting for its sailors. Lady, I hope you are wrong in assuming those sailors are us". The halfling then looks at the massive stone and back to the ship, "The menhir seems like a mockery of a lighthouse as much as a table for slaughter, doesn't it"?

MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

#394 Post by MrHemlocks »

How far is from the shore to the boat?

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#395 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Burt turns again to Uriel: "That's it, mate. If it's swimming out to the ship that needs doing, lets get it over with..." He will attempt to hold onto his spear while making the swim out to the ship.

Heltel moves to swim out to the ship with Burt. "There may be souls to save onboard. I will go with you..."

Rolfo, however, stands rooted to the sand: "No, Martha, not that. No dwarf takes to the water. I'll be here, lads..." He takes up a position of watch where he can see both the island and the ship.

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#397 Post by AQuebman »

ragnboneshopper wrote:Burt turns again to Uriel: "That's it, mate. If it's swimming out to the ship that needs doing, lets get it over with..." He will attempt to hold onto his spear while making the swim out to the ship.

Heltel moves to swim out to the ship with Burt. "There may be souls to save onboard. I will go with you..."

Rolfo, however, stands rooted to the sand: "No, Martha, not that. No dwarf takes to the water. I'll be here, lads..." He takes up a position of watch where he can see both the island and the ship.

Burt and Heltel swim out to the dragon prowed longship and along its side find they can climb up into the ship. As Burt begins the climb up he feels something slither around his torso and then squeeze tightly wrenching him up off the rigging and knocking the breath out of him.
[1d20+8] = 5+8 = 13

All can see from their various vantage points huge dripping wet tentacles rising out of the water. One of which holds tightly onto Burt

DM: I need initiatives for everyone though don't feel that means you have to act in combat it's more to tell the order in which actions take place.

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#398 Post by NJWilliam »

Aengus, Bronn, Crow, Darvin Initiative: [1d20] = 8

Aengus and Crow ready their spears.
Darvin readies his elven short sword, again looking to see if it's glowing, but losing hope now that it ever will.
Bronn loads a stone in his sling.

All four of them back away from the edge of the water, since they hope to avoid melee with the tentacles and whatever they are attached to.
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

Fearghus
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#399 Post by Fearghus »

Fruldrick is on the shore: Initiative [1d20] = 5 -1 (Agi) = 4

The halfling shrieks as the tentacle grabs the man.

MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

#400 Post by MrHemlocks »

"OMG"! Uriel, seeing his companions in need of help steps into the water and prepares to swim to their rescue if needed.

int roll... 6 http://www.unseenservant.com/Default.as ... ampaign=89

Return to “AQuebman's DCC Campaign”