Character Generation

Golem
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: Character Generation

#21 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Golem wrote: In C&C task resolutions are resolved by using a base of either 12 or 18 to beat. 12 is used if the attribute needed is a primary attribute, 18 if it is a secondary attribute. The player chooses which attributed to be the primary. Humans get 3 attributes which he can mark as primary, demihumans get 2. Choose wisely!
Hmm ok....
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Golem
Tracker
Tracker

#22 Post by Golem »

GreyWolfVT wrote:
Golem wrote: In C&C task resolutions are resolved by using a base of either 12 or 18 to beat. 12 is used if the attribute needed is a primary attribute, 18 if it is a secondary attribute. The player chooses which attributed to be the primary. Humans get 3 attributes which he can mark as primary, demihumans get 2. Choose wisely!
Hmm ok....
Page 15, PHB...

There are two types of attributes: primary and secondary. Of the six attributes each character has, the player selects a few to be primary attributes. The remaining attributes are secondary. The distinction is important when determining the outcome of many actions in Castles & Crusades. When a character uses a class ability, such as a rogue attempting to pick a fat giant’s pocket or a ranger tracking a brigand through a dark forest, an attribute check is rolled to determine if the action is successful. Each class ability has an attribute check associated with it. If the class ability’s associated attribute is one of the character’s primary attributes, the character has a greater chance of successfully performing the task. The same principle holds true for the other aspects of the game in which an attribute check is required.

Attribute checks are explained in greater detail later (see The Castle Keeper and the Game - Attributes and the Game). For now, just remember that the selection of primary and secondary attributes significantly affects the possibility of success for many actions in the game. Attribute checks associated with a primary attribute are significantly more likely to succeed than those actions performed with a secondary attribute.

Page 16, PHB

PRIMARY AND SECONDARY ATTRIBUTES
There are two types of attributes: primary and secondary. Primary attributes are those physical or mental abilities in which a character is particularly well trained or very experienced in using. Secondary attributes are those the character uses with only average skill. A player selects the character’s primary attributes after choosing a class and race.

Human characters have three primary attributes. Demi-human races (dwarf, elf, gnome, half-elf, halfling and half-orc) have only two primary attributes. Each class has one primary attribute associated with it that cannot be changed. The player selects the others. So, a human character receives one primary attribute designated by the class and the other two are selected by the player. If playing a demi-human character, the player can select only one additional primary attribute. For example, the primary attribute for the ranger class is strength. If the player chooses to play an elf, he or she selects one of the five remaining attributes as the other primary attribute. If it were a human ranger, the player would select two more primary attributes rather than just one. The remaining attributes are considered to be secondary.

Page 18, PHB

PRIME ATTRIBUTE: There is one prime attribute designated for each class. If the character is human, the player is allowed to choose two more prime attributes for that character for a total of three. All other races allow the player to choose only one more prime attribute for a total of two.

If you have any questions about this, don’t hesitate to reply.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#23 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Ok so does that mean Charisma is already designated as a Primary and i select two others? Or I only get to select one other than Charisma? Be cause i already have Intelligence selected as one and Charisma as the other. As for choosing wisely I'm selecting my highest stats.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Rex »

You have to take Charisma as one and you pick one more. Intelligence would benefit your Bard skill of Decipher Script, not sure what else it helps. Str or Con would allow you to carry more, but not sure what else it would help. Mine was easy since Rangers have a bunch of skills that use Dex and Wis and I had to take Strength.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#25 Post by Scott308 »

I think this is pretty much done.

Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Golem
Tracker
Tracker

#26 Post by Golem »

Scott308 wrote:I think this is pretty much done.

Approved!

tpj
Tracker
Tracker

#27 Post by tpj »

Hi everyone. I'm working up a character as quickly as I can.

Initial stat rolls: [3d6] = 10 [3d6] = 12 [3d6] = 9 [3d6] = 12 [3d6] = 13 [3d6] = 8

Taking the standard array instead for an Elf Druid: Str 13, Int 8, Wis 15, Dex 15 (14 +1 racial), Con 11 (12 -1 racial), Cha 10

Starting gold Druid: [2d10x10] = 13x10 = 130

tpj
Tracker
Tracker

#28 Post by tpj »

First pass at my druid. I think I got everything.

Golem
Tracker
Tracker

#29 Post by Golem »

tpj wrote:First pass at my druid. I think I got everything.

Approved! You may now post your character in the finished characters thread. Oh! And please include an image.

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#30 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Here are my rolls: Stats: STR:10, INT:10, WIS:13, DEX:16, CON:12, CHR:12

And here is the character: Xyl Jinglesmith

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#31 Post by Ahlmzhad »

I had forgotten to include my +1 Int racial modifier, and I hadn't put the class and race features into notes. Here they are now.

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#32 Post by Ahlmzhad »

One question: How do you handle checks for class skills that are not in a prime attribute?

Golem
Tracker
Tracker

#33 Post by Golem »

Ahlmzhad wrote:One question: How do you handle checks for class skills that are not in a prime attribute?

the challenge base would be 18 and not 12. It would much better for Xyl to have his Primes in both Dexterity and Intelligence, but that is up to you.

Golem
Tracker
Tracker

#34 Post by Golem »

Ahlmzhad wrote:I had forgotten to include my +1 Int racial modifier, and I hadn't put the class and race features into notes. Here they are now.

Approved! Go ahead and add your character to the Finished Characters thread.

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#35 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Golem, then I will switch my 2nd Prime to Intelligence as you suggest.

Return to “The Umbrage Saga (Castles & Crusades)”