Action Thread 6

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Action Thread 6

#101 Post by tkrexx »

Phanstern will observe the strange creatures' style of fighting, still curious to see how much damage each can take.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#102 Post by Vargr1105 »

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#103 Post by Alethan »

OOC: Are people considered to be in melee with the creatures now, GM? Is there a chance of friendly fire hits?
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by rredmond »

Alethan wrote:OOC: Are people considered to be in melee with the creatures now, GM? Is there a chance of friendly fire hits?
yes, at the very least Ogre has moved up. Others are moving up to attack.
I'll resolve the actions tomorrow. I think I'll start going to a "DM Action Post" schedule of every Tuesday and Thursday (if not quicker) to get this game regular. Some of you post frequently, others may be waiting for something to happen, or unsure if they've posted or not. If we go with Tuesday and Thursday, that gives plenty of time for folks to strategize and post. If you haven't posted by that point, I'll move forward without you. I'll start next week, unless there's real good reason not to. It seems fair to expect two posts a week.
Please let me know (in OOC or in PM) if this will be an issue. Thanks folks!
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#106 Post by Alethan »

Not wanting to fire into melee and chance hitting someone from the party, Freda drops her sword and charges the nearest insectoid creature.

To Hit, Melee (THAC017) [1d20] = 4

That's not going to do anything...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by rredmond »

Day 1– In the complex – 7:29 a
Round 1

Sorry guys, work is installing new phones, thus the internet was down until now. :( Please check the map for any alterations needed. Arrows will go into melee, I’ll move Blodgett and Elwita up into the action as well.

As Ogre moves forward, the others prepare to attack. The creatures are quicker than the party though (Creature initiative [1d6] = 6) and the one in front (1) with two arrows in him responds in a hissing voice “You attacked us! You will be the ones who are killed!” and they rush forward to meet your attacks.

Phanstern and the Dredd one watching from behind are astonished by the speed of the attackers. As the two groups clash, the party is hoping their greater numbers are victorious.

As Elwita moves forward to melee she meets the first creature who attacks her, both swords flashing and both find their way under her guard, and her armor!

The second creature faces Elwita and Blodgett and focuses both swords on Elwita, possibly not even thinking that Blodgett is a threat, but Freda’s magical armor and skill of the dodge serves her well as neither hit.

The third creature focuses it’s efforts on Eljayess. Both swords hitting [1d20] = 16 [1d20] = 17 for a total of ([1d8] = 6 [1d8] = 1) 7HPs damage.

The last creature attacks Ogre, who isn’t caught unawares, and neither attack can find it’s way past his magic armor and shield.

Freda attacks the nearest one with her sword. But the blow doesn’t land. Eljay finds similar targetting issues with the spear.

Elwita misses with her hammer. And Blodgett badly misses with his short sword.

Though firing into melee is tricky business, Kayen was able to get off an excellent shot, hitting creature #4. But all four creatures are left standing and all four appear to press the attack.

Thus we end round 1. I’ll need an initiative roll from one of you, and called actions from everyone for Round 2. Everyone gets one attack this round.

Picture1.gif
Picture1.gif (88.51 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
[/b]HPs: Elwita - 26/50; Ogre - 45/45; Delgath - 25/25; Karraway - 31/42; Blodgett - 10/20 ; Freda - 34/40; Phanstern - 25/25; Eljayess - 11/25; Kayen - 25/25
WIH: Elwita: war hammer (cross bow), shield; Ogre: Long sword (20' radius light) (short bow), shield]; Delgath: Staff; Karraway: mace, shield; Blodgett: short sword (sling); Freda: long sword (long bow), shield; Phanstern: dagger, lantern; Eljayess: Spear, shield (long bow); Kayen: long sword (long bow), shield]
MO: Eljayess, Blodgett, Ogre, Elwita, Freda, Phanstern, Delgath, Kayen, Karraway
Consumables: Bullseye Lantern (Phanstern) - (1 hours, 0 minutes left) 80' radius, 10' wide beam; Torch - Delgath (60 minutes 40’ radius), Torch - (not lit, 60 minutes), 40' radius.
--------Spells: Delgath 1-4/4, 2-1/2, 3-1/1 : Karraway: 1-5/5, 2-5/5, 3-2/2: Phanstern: 1-4/4, 2-2/2, 3-1/1; Eljayess: 1-3/4, 2-3/3; Kayen: 1-3/3, 2-2/2

This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by tkrexx »

Initiative:
[1d6] = 4

Phanstern's bushy eyebrows furrow, then raise as he blinks in surprise. They speak! I conclude then that they also understand... His voice trails into a low humming and his hands swing in wide arcs. Deciding against his original intention, he attempts a Hypnotism spell. Wouldn't it be nice, his voice smooth and cool, if you would sit down and talk with us for a bit? What tales we could share!

1-6 creatures:
[1d6] = 2
Oh, muffles! Spell marked off.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#109 Post by Nuke66 »

Eljay backs up a bit, looking to parry, the insects have given her pause both due their speech and martial skill. Hopefully this can be resolved peacefully.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#110 Post by saalaria »

Nuke - loving your optimism! How many arrows are hanging out of them?!

Dredd fires up magic missile - can someone confirm how many missies Dredd gets - its 1 more for every 2 levels isn't it? So he gets 3 I believe

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by tkrexx »

Yes, 3 @ 5th.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#112 Post by Vargr1105 »

Upon seeing the creatures speak and the reactions of severel of his party members, Kayen backs down and chooses not to reload his bow.

When he notices the wizard Dredd beginning to cast a spell beside him he screams "Dredd...No! wait!"

Without really thinking the elf lunges at Dredd, attempt to jolt him and thus prevent him from unleashing his sorcery.

ooc: saalaria is going to hate me for this. :) Btw Dredd's pic on the character sheet threda is missing. Better check that out. Also, does attempting to interrupt Dredd's spellcasting require some kind of roll?

ooc edit: given what the GM said below I guess Kayen will go on cinematic, slow-motion Noooooo... and fail miserably to stop the magic missile from departing and uneringly hitting its target. Drama galore! ;)
Last edited by Vargr1105 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#113 Post by rredmond »

Dredd is behind you and with a 1 segment cast, even if Kayen realized (by the verbal component) that magic missile is being cast I'm not sure you'd be able to stop it.
Between Phanstern's Hypnotism spell and your shout I'll allow a retcon of Dredd's action (PbP makes it difficult to be a "well-oiled machine") especially since I've allowed a looseness to the action posts.
But unless someone can argue how Kayen can get a chance to spoil the spell, I don't see how it can happen.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by max_vale »

Ogre shook his head and did his best not to scream out what he was thinking; which was.....I TOLD YOU SO!; to his companions who were suddenly talking about a parley. In the meantime; he did his best just to parry the incoming attacks by the Insect-man; while not replying in kind.

OOC: I don't remember if 1st Edition had any "Parrying rules" or not (and I'm at work, so I can't check right now); but Ogre's just trying to block attacks with his shield and sword.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#115 Post by rredmond »

I'll check the books. But I believe it's your STR to hit bonus becomes a penalty for the attacker and you can move backwards without a free attack being taken on you.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#116 Post by saalaria »

Dredd will hold off (if possible please Ron). Wanting to see how the situation develops before acting.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#117 Post by rredmond »

Day 1– In the complex – 7:30 a
Round 2

Heh, there’s a bonus against the creatures’ saves for use of the expletive “muffles” :) . Anyone who hasn’t posted I’ll assume are parrying.

The creatures are [1d6] = 6 a bit quicker than you all.

There’s a massive flurry, as you can hear the leader make a whispery clicking laugh, but they are taken aback that everyone seems to be fighting defensively.

This leads to abysmally poor attacking on their part, and the two thrusts where they might have been able to pass your defenses are easily parried.

Phanstern and the Dredd both start to cast spells. But Kayen twitchy and dramatic “NOOOOO!” as well as Phanstern’s casting gives Dredd reason to pause and hold off casting. Then Phanstern says:

tkrexx wrote: Wouldn't it be nice, his voice smooth and cool, if you would sit down and talk with us for a bit? What tales we could share!

Two of the creatures seem to halt in there attacks, one momentarily confused, while the other (the leader) stops and says “Why yes, that would be good," says the creature as it sits down in the middle of the fight. The other creature affected looks at the leader sitting, quizzically, then starts shaking his head. The other two quickly glance over but press on their attacks.

End of Round 2. #1 is on the floor, and #4 appears confused. #2 and 3 don’t seem to be letting up at all. I’ll need an initiative roll from one of you, and called actions from everyone for Round 3. Ogre and Elwita are both specialized so they can (if they desire) attack first and last in this round.

HPs: Elwita - 26/50; Ogre - 45/45; Delgath - 25/25; Karraway - 31/42; Blodgett - 10/20 ; Freda - 34/40; Phanstern - 25/25; Eljayess - 11/25; Kayen - 25/25
WIH: Elwita: war hammer (cross bow), shield; Ogre: Long sword (20' radius light) (short bow), shield]; Delgath: Staff; Karraway: mace, shield; Blodgett: short sword (sling); Freda: long sword (long bow), shield; Phanstern: dagger, lantern; Eljayess: Spear, shield (long bow); Kayen: long sword (long bow), shield]
MO: Eljayess, Blodgett, Ogre, Elwita, Freda, Phanstern, Delgath, Kayen, Karraway
Consumables: Bullseye Lantern (Phanstern) - (59 minutes left) 80' radius, 10' wide beam; Torch - Delgath (59 minutes 40’ radius), Torch - (not lit, 60 minutes), 40' radius.
--------Spells: Delgath 1-4/4, 2-1/2, 3-1/1 : Karraway: 1-5/5, 2-5/5, 3-2/2: Phanstern: 1-3/4, 2-2/2, 3-1/1; Eljayess: 1-3/4, 2-3/3; Kayen: 1-3/3, 2-2/2
------Hypnotism: 6 minutes left

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#118 Post by tkrexx »

Initiative: [1d6] = 5

Taking in the entire situation, the Illusionist whispers: Dredd, please be ready to save my ignorant carcass if this fails... To the Bugs, he continues. Excellent! Many thanks, friend! He will approach Bug#4 & Bug#1 within 5 feet, keeping them between himself and the other two, and seat himself cross-legged on the murky floor. He addresses Bug#1, the speaker. I notice your companions do not understand my speech. Perhaps you will translate for me. You can see my friends have lost the will to fight; we have made a grievous error. We heard you approaching and we thought you were more of those awful Orcs! (They don't fancy us, for some reason.) Please ask your friends to join us here in this conversation. My name is Phanstern. How are you called?

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#119 Post by saalaria »

Dredd stands ready to magic missile any who attack Phan. He moves so he can see all 4 bugs if needed

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#120 Post by ToniXX »

Blodgett puts his sling in his pocket and draws his short sword. He listens as Phanstern talks to the bug men, and keeps an eye on the others. He'll attempt to parry any incoming attacks.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Return to “Slave Pits of the Undercity”