atpollard
atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Cycle 1062 (Autumn), Day 40: Hamlet of Gwynedd

#1 Post by atpollard »

DIANA & DOC & IGNATZ & JACQUES & JOSEPHINE & REMY

Cycle 1062 (Autumn): Day 40: Shift 1: Hour 7:00 [Hamlet of Gwynedd: 45N,25W]

Today was Holiday, the last day of Cycle 1062. The 43 F cold kept no one inside. No work was done on Holiday, as it was a day for family and friends and a celebration of life. Second Shift was traditionally the time for family and friends to gather together to share a great feast. It was a way of celebrating the just completed harvest and the full stores that would carry the community through the cold, dark winter ahead. For those that survived the shipwreck, it was bittersweet. Those lost and families far away were more keenly missed. Yet it was also a celebration of a life spared. It was another tradition that the Third Shift countdown to the New Cycle and the 8 bells ringing in Cycle 1063 and the official start of winter were spent in a Tavern singing and partying and consuming quantities of spirits with as many strangers as possible. Second Shift was a celebration of family and third shift was a celebration of community.

A great deal of planning and even some actual work had been accomplished on The Boat ... which still needed a proper name. It wasn't right to just keep calling it "the Boat". Especially since, at 45 feet long it was technically a Ship and needed a small 15 foot boat of it's own to ferry to shore when there was no dock.

Not today. For today was Holiday and every member of the Partnership working to refloat her - Diana, Doc, Ignatz and Jo - was excited to celebrate Holiday. The plan was to share the Family Meal at the Hearthfire and then to welcome in the new cycle at the Grogg and tankard.

Jacques and Remy arrived in Gwynedd during the early hours of Shift 1, exhausted and chose a few hours sleep before anything else. You awoke to the sounds of Holiday preparations coming from the busy main street dock at Gwynedd. The ringing of the town clock announced that it was Seven Bells. One hour until Second shift.
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Cycle 1062 (Autumn), Day 40: Hamlet of Gwynedd

#2 Post by ffilz »

What of the plans for "the boat" have been shared with Doc? He of course would be quite interested in becoming ship's doctor and he has 30,000 credits to contribute to repairs and outfitting. At some appropriate time, he will also share details of the coin he purchased and has been researching.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#3 Post by atpollard »

REFEREE FIAT: Assume that Jo, Ignatz, Doc and Diana are some sort of partners in the ship and all 4 of you both know about it and have been working a combined 64 man-hours on fixing it up.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Leitz »

atpollard wrote:REFEREE FIAT: Assume that Jo, Ignatz, Doc and Diana are some sort of partners in the ship and all 4 of you both know about it and have been working a combined 64 man-hours on fixing it up.
Works for me.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#5 Post by atpollard »

IGNATZ

Cycle 1062 (Autumn): Day 40: Shift 2: Hour 8:00 [Hamlet of Gwynedd: 45N,25W]

Eight bells, the start of Second Shift. The hall at the Hearthfire was decorated and guests had already gathered at the fire to warm themselves, snack on roasted nuts and enjoy hot cider with cinnamon.

Becky entered and shook off her heavy coat from the damp air. She seemed less cheerful than usual, but smiled when she saw Ignatz.

"So there is the knave that spurns my advances." she said with a joking seriousness. "Oh don't worry, I don't bite." ... then she whispered "unless of course, you'd like me to." For a moment there was a mischievous twinkle in her eyes. Then she sighed "My employer was rather disappointed by the failure of my mission. Is anyone looking to hire a courier?" she half smiled.

Turning to face Ignatz head on "I know that you and your friends are repairing some abandoned wreck. Well while you are out there, I would ask you to keep an eye open for a book that might have survived the wreck. It is an old diary. Bound in leather and written in French. There may be a stain on the cover. It was reported to once have been stained with a bloody palm print. I was sent to purchase it and my employers will pay well if it can be recovered from the wreckage." She gave Ignatz a peck on the cheek. "I know I can count on you to help save my job."

Ignatz had returned all but three items which he recovered to their owners. One item remaining was a suitcase containing some clothing and valuables whose wealthy owner had niot survived and who had no known heir to return it to. The second was a chest containing inexpensive clothing that none had come forward to claim and had nothing inside to identify the owner. The third item was the torn book in a canvas sack written in French ...
Cycle 1062 (Autumn): Day 33: Shift 2: Hour 7:50 [Sea near Gwynedd: 45N,25W]

Scanning the waves, Ignatz's heart lept when he spotted a life vest among some debris ahead to the starboard. Pulling the man into the boat, he appeared to be unconscious. When you checked for a pulse, he was already dead. His loosened life vest allowed a weatherproof canvas bag to fall from his coat pocket. Looking to see if it contained some indication of his identity, Ignatz found the now waterlogged pages of the last third of a diary. The last page with writing on it was stained with blood and the back cover had the stain from a bloody palm print across it. The dead man looked German, but the diary was written in French.
... if only you could locate someone who was French to read it [cough ... Jacques].

(Did I mention that I am occasionally not very subtle ... Ref thumb on the scale to give you a reason to get together.)

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Leitz »

The past few days have shown Diana, or "Lady Diana" as referred to by the locals, to be helpful. Of course, willing to help doesn't imply a lot of physical strength nor the least bit of nautical skill. Enthusiasm, though, is evident. She has some cash on hand and an informal retinue of locals and castaways. When adventure options were discussed she looked interested and if the mention of a kidnapped Britannic noble was made she became intense.

Having seen Becky and Ignatz interact for a while, Diana lifted her mug of tea to the lad. "Advance spurning is a dangerous thing, kid. Might want to reconsider," she said. And winked.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Urson »

Jo
Having spent another long shift- or was it two? The time seemed blurred by the hard, productive work- Jo was looking forward to the time off.
She pulled out her notepad, now battered by hard use, and jotted a few lines.
Contact the experts at Dry dock re: greenslime in the fuel tank.
Look for a skilled diver to help recover the boiler.

She bathed and dressed in the only nice dress she owned, then went to join the Partnership.
FA FO

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Pulpatoon »

Ignatz flushes at Becky's flirtation, but does his best to remain poised, as he has practiced in his mirror. Standing up to greet her, he says, "I apologize for how busy I've been, and for neglecting you so ruthlessly! But, lucky you, you've caught me at on a day when I haven't been dipped up to my earlobes in engine grease. We should make the most of it! Let's finally have that dinner and go dancing, tonight."

When she mentions her employer firing her, he sympathizes. "That cad! You could hardly be considered to blame!" But when she mentions the book, he merely says that he'll "keep the appraising eye thoroughly peeled." He feels a need to ascertain the book's nature before troubling Becky with it. He still recalls the murder on deck, and can't shake the feeling that it is a drama not yet completed.

"Becky, may I introduce you to The Right Honorable The Lady Hayes? Your Ladyship, this is Becky, a fellow survivor of the New Dawn." To Becky, he says, "I'm honored to say that her Ladyship has entered into the partnership to rehabilitate the... the boat."

Later, Ignatz will ask Lady Diana how her French is.

Regarding the other scavenged items, Ignatz will supplement his own trunk with any useful items from the rich suitcase, and then donate the rest of its contents and the cheap trunk to a local church or aid organization.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Leitz »

"To the boat," Diana said, and lifted her tea. Even on such celebratory days her mode of dress was the same; hidalgo. She smiled at Becky. "I think the poor boy would faint if you kissed him on the lips, Rebecca. Save that for later. Care for some tea?"

Diana enjoyed the Hearthfire and did her best to socialize with everyone. Of course, Reginald had an invitation, as did Claud. Still, today was not about business.

When Ignatz asked about French, Diana shook her head. "My apologies, but I never took to languages very well. Nor, really, to business, but it seems we will need to sort out what needs to be done, who does it, and who pays for it. As we've discussed, I should have some money available to help the project along. All for a buy-in, of course."

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#10 Post by atpollard »

JACQUES & REMY
Cycle 1062 (Autumn): Day 40: Shift 2: Hour 8:10 [Hamlet of Gwynedd: 45N,25W]

Jacques and Remy followed the beach to the northwest and arrived at a small boatyard (#53) with a 30 foot boat under construction in the slip and several smaller fishing boats on the beach and the dock undergoing various repairs. Of course there was no work being done today. As you climbed the ladder from the beach to the wooden "main street", a bell chimed Eight Bells from a large multi-story stone structure (#52) to the East. The changing of the watch for the local constabulary announced that whatever else that Great House was, it was also the local gaiole (jail). To the west lay only a Church and a Fishing Village crowded with poor blue collar workers ... an excellent place to hide, but a poor location to find food and lodgings. So a quick, discrete check that the necklace was well hidden, and the two companions hurried slowly past the sturdy door and stone walls that threatened incarceration, nodded a greeting to the new Constable just coming on duty for Second Shift, and headed north up Old Town.

Most of the buildings between the Stone Manor and the ferry were houses containing a small cottage business and a private residence. It would be a long walk alongside the constable to get to the Ferry (#37) and the next part of town. Fortunately, just as the constable appeared ready to show you some attention, the sound of laughter and a toast caught your attention coming from a sleepy inn, the "Hearthfire" according to the sign, located uncomfortable close to the Constable station for a residence, but conveniently placed for an immediate escape from unwanted attention. With a subtle nod, Jacques and Remy slipped into the Hearthfire Inn and blended into the crowd gathered to celebrate the Holiday Feast. The constable did not follow you in, but continued to walk his patrol.

"To the boat," shouted an odd collection of people gathered in one corner.

Jacques and Remy stood near the warmth of the fire to take the chill of the past few days living in the cold out of their bones. Two ladies appeared to be joking at the expense of some very proper blushing gentleman. Later a comment passed between a woman dressed as a Hidalgo (young Spanish nobleman) and the very English formerly blushing gentleman ... "read French" was all that Remy was able to catch of the comment as he focused on accessing how great a threat the armed female Hidalgo might be.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Jacques

Glad to be out of the weather and away from the inquisitive eyes of the constable, Jacques's spirits are on the up and up. With a side glance at Remy, Jacques moves a bit closer to the group.

"Excusez-moi. I can't help but overhear that you needed someone to read some french? What did you have in mind? Some groundbreaking philosophy, some blood-pumping tale of bravery, or perhaps some blood-pumping romantic poetry for your lady friend here, n'est-ce pas?" Jacques bows to the ladies and winks at the gentleman.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Pulpatoon »

Is Becky still with us?

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Leitz »

Pulpatoon wrote:Is Becky still with us?
In general, atpollard's style is to let you determine what makes the best story.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Urson »

Jo

Jo is here with the rest of the Partnership, looking just a bit uncomfortable. She smiles at the jokes, laughs in the right places- but her heart doersn't seem to be in it.
Somewhere in the Common room, a fiddler begins playing, and is joined by a concertina. The music is upbeat and lively. Jo smiles a genuine smile and gets to her feet, dancing along with the music.
Ignatz! Join me! she laughs, her face the face of a carefree 16-year-old.
FA FO

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Pulpatoon »

Ignatz's face drains of color when Jo invites him out to dance. His gaze snaps over to Becky. "W-would you care to join us?" He gamely holds an arm out to her.

He regrets leaving an opportunity to speak with the fortuitously arrived Frenchman, but he doesn't dare bring up the book while Becky is around, and he's not sure what to think of a man who would respond to something overheard from a whispered conversation. He'll just have to put faith in another opportunity to meet with a francophone.

AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#16 Post by AsenRG »

Remy looks amused at the man's face whitening and turns to Jacques.
"Say, Monsieur Jacques...is becoming pale when invited to dance some kind of custom of the civilized people? I've seen it twice already and it's mighty weird! At the isles, when a girl invites you to dance, you smile and dance her clothes off. My people tend to pale in front of grave danger, instead."

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Leitz »

Diana grinned wickedly at Ignatz' terror. "Go, dance. Becky and I will talk about you while you're off with a beautiful woman."

Hearing the new men speak, Diana turned and smiled, "Gentlemen, I don't believe we've had the pleasure. I'm Diana and my friend here is Becky. Becky's too-scared-to-ask-to-be-a-gentleman-friend has eyes only for her, and I think he's warming up to the idea almost as much as she is."

"And you are?"

Diana is wearing Hispanic Hidalgo clothing, and pistols that seem used to being used.

OOC: Not sure what nationality Jaques is from, but he would likely recognize Diana's accent as proper Britannic.

AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#18 Post by AsenRG »

"My name is Remy Hernandez, miss. I'm coming from the isles that the locals here call Spine of the World", he bowed clumsily. It wasn't as if he moved clumsy, more like he was unused to the motion...but still wanted to show respect.
"Still don't know what's scary about being a gentleman...but ok, they're your friends. Maybe your customs are only confusing to me!"

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Pulpatoon »

With a pleading look at Becky, Ignatz heads off to join Jo, his face burning. He knows the others are having sport with him, but oh, dash it! Can't they see the sticky situation he's in? Delicate feminine sensibilities hang in the balance!

He does not recognize that his are the only sensibilities perturbed by the present situation.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Jacques

Jacques eyes light as he hears Diana's accent. "Ah. A Lady from Britannia, I hear. Well pleased to meet you." His English is quite good but flavored with a strong french accent. "I am Jacques, and we are recently new in town, having spent some time floating about." He bows, more practiced than Remy, and continues.

His eyes take in her Hidalgo attire and exposed guns. "I suspect you and I may have some things in common, my Lady. Perhaps we may buy you two a drink and join you?"

Jacques is an older gentleman, dark and below average height. He is wearing well-tailored clothes of some value that look like they have seen some sun recently. He carries a cane, walks with a slight limp, and is most decidedly French.

Return to “Wild West Waterworld (Classic Traveller)”