Mission 5: The Cavanaugh Mound: Caddo Me a Favor?

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1 Post by Bluehorse »

On the way to
August 11, 2018
Hot and Humid, clouds rolling in.

Actions? 

Brownie Point Pool  
Dr. Jason O'Roarke:  60/73 (**)
Roy O'Dowd: 37/37
Lionel 'Freight Train' Williams: 63/63
Dr. Vanette Conklin: 46/49 (*)
David "Mac" McAuslan 92/96
Dzjokar "Joker" Jelal 42/42

* - +1d6 on any one roll. (Xmas)

** - Jason has -1d6 on every roll until Aug 24th as he recovers from Snake Venom.

GM Note: Mac rolled a Ghost Die @ the Cavanaugh Mound

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Mission 5: The Cavanaugh Mound: Caddo Me a Favor?

#2 Post by Bluehorse »

On the way to
August 11, 2018 9pm
Hot and Humid, clouds breaking up.

Coming from here:
viewtopic.php?f=628&t=7683&p=430000#p430000

Sometime later...

Thomas and Jean had joined the Ghostbusters for pizza, which Thomas apparently took as a rare treat. After a long supper of conversation and occasional interruptions by locals wanting a selfie with the group. The manager gave them a nice discount since there seemed to be more and more people coming in as social media spread the news of the Ghostbusters eating at the local spot.

They arrive at the church just as the last light in the sky is turning dark and the stars begin to show, as well as the blacken disc that is the New Moon is about a handspan's rise in the east.

Brother Barry is actually there, along with some of the congregation themselves, and you can bet that they notice as Ecto 1 pulls up into their parking lot as they are socializing on their way out the door to head home for some sleep before coming back for Sunday morning services. Brother Barry excuses himself in a hurry and comes up to the team as they are exiting the Ecto and Jean's truck.

Brother Barry Hey, we lucked out, a member of our congregation has a nephew that came out to clear the snakes. He said he had never seen so many in one place. I am so sorry about what happened. We have been praying about you, but once we called the Hospital today they said you were already discharged. God bless...

At the mention of the snakes being disposed of, Thomas chuckled as if to say we'll see...

Without hesitating, Thomas is already walking towards the mound where the shadows seem very deep under all the thick trees. He stops at some point and turns to the shed at to the west and walks towards it, getting one of the wood poles there. As he nears the mow line where the undergrowth starts, he reaches out with the pole and taps around a little before something moves and he uses the pole to pick up another cottonmouth and laughs. Putting it aside gently he turns and looks towards the team and Barry and the now curious Congregation. As if on queue, there is drumming starting and it is coming from the shadows around the mounds. Thomas laughs at their faces a little and turns to walk into the brush, poking around with the stick as he goes and begins singing.

Thomas's Song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnGtg8CblWs

Just kidding! This is it... The other one is a favorite of my sons though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=570ut66Su4E
Actions? 

Brownie Point Pool  

** - Jason has -1d6 on every roll until Aug 24th as he recovers from Snake Venom.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Pulpatoon »

Regarding equipment, Etta assumes that this is not going to be a blast 'em 'n trap 'em operation, so she focuses on bring in detection equipment: The sniffer, the giga-meter, ecto-goggles, and the classic PKE. She'll start out carrying the the goggles, PKE, and sniffer, leaving the giga-meter in the jeep.

After pizza, Etta tries to drop Jason off at the firehouse, with an injunction to get some sleep. If Roy tries to ditch the job, she'll lay a look of maternal judgement on him. "At least come and sit in the car, boy. We'll need someone to call 911 if things go right in the crapper."

When they reach the mound, one of the first things she does is call Mac's phone, to see if she can pinpoint where he dropped it.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Bluehorse »

[b]Etta[/b] wrote:After pizza, Etta tries to drop Jason off at the firehouse, with an injunction to get some sleep. If Roy tries to ditch the job, she'll lay a look of maternal judgement on him. "At least come and sit in the car, boy. We'll need someone to call 911 if things go right in the crapper."
It was not Jason, but Thomas who quickly interjected that everyone must come along. Jean would just shrug. Humor the old man as they say. He has an idea, we will have to go with it. I'm not going to stop him. I wouldn't be that disrespectful
[b]Etta[/b] wrote:When they reach the mound, one of the first things she does is call Mac's phone, to see if she can pinpoint where he dropped it.
*WingWing.... WingWing...* Or whatever the ringtone is for Etta on Mac's phone. Whoever wants to look for the phone can roll 1 moderate Cool to find the phone and 1 hard roll to spot snakes. I will make modifications to requirements behind the screen to your rolls depending on how you go about doing both.

Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#5 Post by Taaz »

Jason comes along and enjoys the pizza and games, following the Thomas when he said they were all needed. They pull up to the mound, he shudders and thinks about everything he went through. He readies his gear; pke meter, goggles, some of the books and research they had on the Caddo in a book bag.
Who Boy, dice roller I hope this was a good idea

Cool(Diminished): [1d6] = 5 Ghost:[1d6] = 6
As Jason is finished he steps twords Thomas, following the old man on instinct. "I swear I can feel my bites itching..." And he looks at the old man, and steels his resolve. Lead the way

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Bluehorse »

Taaz wrote:Jason comes along and enjoys the pizza and games, following the Thomas when he said they were all needed. They pull up to the mound, he shudders and thinks about everything he went through. He readies his gear; pke meter, goggles, some of the books and research they had on the Caddo in a book bag.
Who Boy, dice roller I hope this was a good idea

Cool(Diminished): [1d6] = 5 Ghost:[1d6] = 6
As Jason is finished he steps twords Thomas, following the old man on instinct. "I swear I can feel my bites itching..." And he looks at the old man, and steels his resolve. Lead the way
Thomas gave him a knowing look and lights a cigarette. He takes Jason's arm as he had before and blows some of the pungent smoke over it and cups his hand over it a moment before turning around towards the drumming as he continues singing in the rhythm of it.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#7 Post by Scott308 »

Lionel "Freight Train" Williams

Lionel makes sure to put on all the protective gear. He grabs a proton pack just in case.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Rex »

Mac

Mac follows suit, protective gear, a proton pack and a trap.

He then starts looking for his phone.

Phone Cool +2 BP [4d6] = 14 Ghost [1d6] = 4

Snakes Cool +4 BP [6d6] = 18 Ghost [1d6] = 4

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Urson »

Joker

Joker enjoys the pizza party as much as anyone, favoring the Hawaiian-style with ham and pineapple. He plays a round of skee-ball against Thomas, and is soundly beaten.

At the mound, he'll use any protective gear available. Also:

PKE-meter
pocket tape recorder
proton pack

As soon as he sees Thomas using the pole to deal with the snake, he'll get a pole also.
His face is drawn in concentration, and he has a thin cigar lit, smouldering away.

He finds himself nodding in time with the drumming and taking a surprising amount of comfort from the Elder's chanting.
FA FO

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#10 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy's eyes go wide at the mention of pizza "Yeah! I could go for a slice, just make sure no anchovies." he goes along and enjoys himself at the pizza place. However once eventually at the mound is very hesitant to go near the mound. "Told ya I don't want anything to do with that mound so long as there's snakes about. I've always had a fear of them things and for good reason. I think I'll stay back and keep Jason away from any snakes."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Bluehorse »

On the way to
August 11, 2018 9:10pm

Mac is able to quickly located his phone thanks to Etta's call and he does spot a snake in the undergrowth near it, but it slithers away.

Etta too, spots the phone about the time that Mac does and sees the snake as it continues away from his, so at least that is one that is keeping away from the team that is wading into the weeds and the mud. Mac and Jason both realize that it is much easier to traverse the slippery ground in the special boots.

Brother Barry walks over to Roy since he is hanging back with the jeep. The guy that came over today counted up almost 160 snakes that were removed. He actually had to call a couple of friends for more help and carrier boxes for them to be removed. I can't imagine how there could be more still here... We are going to follow his recommendation and stary trying to mow back some more but then Dr. Molholland said we might be disturbing the site... I am not sure what to do...

Jean though not so confident as her grandpa, also wades into the weeds and kicks at no less than two snakes.

The drumming is indeed louder and Thomas continues to match it as he disappears into the shadowy are under the thicker ivy mantled trees near the mound.

Oh, look! Lightning Bugs!

Inventory
InventoryCarried.JPG
InventoryCarried.JPG (86.96 KiB) Viewed 2131 times
Actions? 

Brownie Point Pool  

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Pulpatoon »

Etta asks Lionel if he'd mind getting the giga-meter out of the car. She assures Roy that he'll be safe in the car. "Play the radio if you get lonely, but not too loud. I need you to be able to hear us, if things get ugly, right?"

Using the sniffer's wand to probe the foliage before her, and making a point of clomping her feet to alert any snakes in her path, she follows the footsteps of the Ten-Chiefs as closely as she can. She gets caught up in the drumming, and can't help but hum along to the Elder's singing.

GreyWolfVT

#13 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy to Brother Barry "Well that's why we have Jean and the chief, the chief made an altar that should help. If our research is accurate." Roy grabs the gigameter and brings it to Etta. "Here you go Etta. I don't think I'll stay in the car Brother Barry is a good conversationalist. Oh and don't forget Mac dropped his phone out there somewhere." ooc: I am confused did Jason actually go out into the snakes again? I thought the plan was not to have Jason out there again?
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#14 Post by Taaz »

He did, hes following Thomas pretty close.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Pulpatoon »

Etta hefts the equipment she's already carrying and says to Roy, "Thanks, honey, but my arms are full. Could you pass that over to Lionel?"

Scott308

#16 Post by Scott308 »

I'll carry that now, Roy. Thanks. Lionel takes the gigameter from Roy and follows Etta.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

GreyWolfVT

#17 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy hands the gigameter to Lionel "You sure you can handle all that gear freighttrain?" he asks with a smile indicating he's joking. Then Roy changes his mind grabs a trap and photon pack and follows Etta and Lionel. "Sorry Barry I'm gonna have to face my fears I think."

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Bluehorse »

On the way to
August 11, 2018 9:20pm

Mac has his phone back. And he along with everyone else can hear the drumming now clearly as the New Moon continues to rise.

Those with the PKE Extensions are getting a slowly building signal of ambient energies. Then the PKEs, as well as those with just (GBI's) Phones, begin to see other readings begin to manifest as the drumming becomes clearer still as they near the mound. Class 1... Class 2... Class 3........................... Class 4.

Jason Only crosses into the shadows below the trees and can seem the dark mound looming over them. Thomas pauses as he sings, taking a long drag on the cigarette, squats down and Jason can just make out him looking a cottonmouth nose to nose and blowing the smoke at it. It quickly recoils and slithers away as the old man chuckles and continues the song. Jason sees a dim golden light coming from what looks like a doorway on the west side of the mound. The light slowly grows until he can see the siloette of a man sitting on the ground before the mound, playing a drum.

The others begin nearing the treeline as PKEs begin giving off readings. The phone giving general readings while those with the three Extesions begin getting more detailed readouts which pinpoint a few different points, two distinctly in front of Jason and Thome and another from the Mound itself. There is also an addisions layer manifesting over the general area that seems to radiate from the sound of the drumming as well as Thomas's song which are working in sync with each other.

Jean Trudges through the weeds, feeling her way along with the shovel handle, also shooing snakes gently away. Watch you step... That's five already and we are barely 20 feet in. I trust grandpa to know what he is doing but this is getting creepy...

They can also see a growing crowd at the church parking lot as people seem to be coming in faster than they are leaving. Thankfully, they all seem to be staying back on the parking area itself, mostly due to Brother Barry's gentle authority to let the professionals do their jobs.

Inventory
InventoryCarried.JPG
InventoryCarried.JPG (116.96 KiB) Viewed 2089 times
Actions? 

Brownie Point Pool  

Scott308

#19 Post by Scott308 »

Lionel smiles as he replies to Roy. I think I'll be able to manage, but thank you for your concern, Roy.

He has the Giga Meter fired up and is trying to interpret its readings. They're in the walls, man!
Brains: [1d6] = 2 Ghost Die: [1d6] = 3
At least he is able to turn it on successfully. Probably.

GreyWolfVT

#20 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy chuckles at Lionel's response, then wrinkles his forehead after Lionel turns on the gigameter and says "they're in the walls man" "You sure you're reading that right?" he asks as he moves up to take a look for himself.

Brains: [4d6] = 10 G: [1d6] = 4

Return to “Mission Archive”