Mission 5: The Cavanaugh Mound: Caddo Me a Favor?

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Mission 5: The Cavanaugh Mound: Caddo Me a Favor?

#81 Post by Urson »

FA FO

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Bluehorse »

On the way to
August 11, 2018 9:45pm
Cooler and Humid, clouds clearing, New Moon & Dark.

Joker calms himself down and looks down at his equipment...

Which goes boom? 1 PKE 2 Giga [1d2] = 2

Apparently, while he was distracted by fear, he made a clumsy adjustment to the gigameter, and though it records some great information, it also crackles and dies, giving off a puff of smoke and the smell of sulfur. He'll have to wait to get back to the firehouse to see what it picked up before the electronics overloaded and shorted out. For now, the Gigameter is a handy paperweight.

Meanwhile, he can see on the PKE that the "Purple Walers" are more traditional specters and are definitely coming from the top of the mound by the marked elevation on the readout. a small collection of Class 1 numbering about 5, but for now it is hard to tell as they are still coalescing.
Jason wrote: Thomas ten-chiefs is helping us learn how to respect you, and we can make sure that whoever lives near this holy place respects it as well. Our main goal is helping, if we can help you too that's a job well done for us.
A'ya'hi'ya's white head stares right at Jason. I smell your blood and it is known to us. You survived the brush with death and yet you court to know it still? Curious. Yes. You show respect. You value the honored dead and see them with unveiled eyes.To you we will speak for the white people. an oddly inhuman human arm gestures up to the Purple Walers. The dead of your people are restless. They were buried on a mound dedicated to the red people of the river. They are forgotten. the same hand points to the church. Why do your people pray but not for the dead who are so close? Why do they not answer the call of the loyal drummer who stays in service to all forgotten of all people put to rest here? Why is pole of the crossroad long rotted away into the earth? At this last reply, A'ya'hi'ya points to a spot between them.

Everyone would notice there is one head looking at each of them. The white on Jason who is communicating to A'ya'hi'ya, and everyone else, regardless of where they stand, has on of the black cottonmouth heads looking at them, flickering white tongues at them as he speaks clearly in everyone's minds.

Thomas Everyone but Jason hears Caddo. Jason hears the odd echo of english in his mind. Your words are true.
I will speak with those that use this land. I will find the cedar pole, to mark the spot as it was marked before. We will paint and maintain it as our grandfathers did. We will teach the new generations how to do the same. These people...
he waves around to the team. They will speak to their peoples about doing the same. We will pay honor to you, and your children. We will honor the ancestors here as we do other places. We will teach these people how to do the same

Jean tears her gaze away from A'ya'hi'ya and looks to Mac and Etta in turn, her eyes looking for support and input before she looks back to the snake spirit and up at the Purple vapors that continue to moan and scream atop the mound.

Inventory
See last post

Actions? 

Brownie Point Pool  
Dr. Jason O'Roarke:  50/73 (**)
Roy O'Dowd: 36/37
Lionel 'Freight Train' Williams: 52/63
Dr. Vanette Conklin: 35/49 (*)
David "Mac" McAuslan 82/96
Dzjokar "Joker" Jelal 36/42

* - +1d6 on any one roll. (Xmas)

** - Jason has -1d6 on every roll until Aug 24th as he recovers from Snake Venom.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#83 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy notices Joker looking at the smoking gigameter and thinks (Another repair when we get back to the firehouse...) and merely rolls his eyes... he uses this to try and collect his thoughts and calm himself.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#84 Post by Scott308 »

Lionel "Freight Train" Williams

Unsure of what is going on or being said, Lionel is just happy that it wasnt him that broke the equipment!
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#85 Post by Taaz »

"The Cedar..." Jason pulls out his notebooks from his bag and begins flipping thought the case notes. He flips around a bit looking for the ceremony, to show A'ya'hi'ya they could fulfill their vows.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Rex »

Mac

Mac smiles back at Jean and tries to be comforting as he watches the snake entity.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by Urson »

Joker
Joker looks over the Gigameter, wincing occasionally when he touches a hot spot on the casing. He shakes his head and hangs the tool on his belt
FA FO

Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#89 Post by Taaz »

Here it is he shouts, holding up a notebook, looking at it intently.
Bluehorse wrote:...the ritual as a time each month when they could communicate across the viel that separated the earthy and spiritual worlds. They would gather usually at a cross road. Erect a pole carved from the heart of a cedar tree. Painted black on one side, green on the other, it was erected with the black side facing north, the green side south. The leader stood on the dividing line or “road” at the west side of the pole...
The Cedar pole, black and green, we can replace this and honor the Ghost Dance again. I realize you have and all the peoples here have been done a great disservice. Your lands have been desecrated and worse. We cant make up for that but we can start doing better. Tell us how we can make this right for you and I promise I will see to it.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Bluehorse »

A'ya'hi'ya looks with all heads at Jason. Erect the pole and reawaken the old traditions. This will please the dead. What of them? the deity points to the vapors atop the mound. they are beyond my help. It is up to your people.

Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#91 Post by Taaz »

What are they he says turning to look up the mound, the Dead?

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Urson »

Joker

Joker remains silent, studying his instruments. Deep inside, he feels more relaxed as the Thump- thump of the drummer continues.
FA FO

GreyWolfVT

#93 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy shakes his head at Joker but the sight appears to have calmed him down as well.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by Bluehorse »

On the way to
August 11, 2018 9:50pm
Cooler and Humid...New Moon & Dark.

A little worried about Pulpatoon. Not like him to be gone so long. Either way, I going to begin moving this forward and pray for the best.

Everyone seems to step back and let Jason take center stage as he has a revelation about the significance of the cedar pole in the old ritual Roy, Etta, and Mac had dug up during their rigorous research on the Caddo and the assistance of Dr. Mulholand. At mention from Jason about replacing the pole and returning to the ghost dance, A'ya'hi'ya seems to perk up and the heads nod. Yes. This is good..

Thomas nods as well and gestures around to all involved. This can be done. This will be done. Our people are few today, though they were many before, but we are still true to the old ways. We will bring those ways back here, and something new for those who are here with you as well.

A'ya'hi'ya points to a place where a greenish and golden light sqirl in an area no larger than a foot and seem to dance with one another. The crossroad between worlds is here, and so the pole must be placed here as before to mark that sacred place.
This place where your world connects with their's
he points to what Jason can see is the golden light from the doorway of the mound.

When Jason ask about the class 1 ghost looming over the top of the mound, A'ya'hi'ya turns half his heads towards the purple mists and wales atop the mound. These spirits are those of the white people who were buried here. They are restless.
What can your people do for them to bring them rest? Their own people, disrupted as well as forgot their graves, even when rediscovered, they are discarded.

Joker Can see from the PKE that the ghost atop the mound are weak but distinctly different. they are unable to create a defined form and are merely vapors and otherwise disembodied voices. They seem anchored to that stop atop the mound. The area of the drumming, the mound, and the place indicated by A'ya'hi'ya all have not changed and seem stable and no longer growing or increasing in energy output. Using the knowledge they have gained from research, it doesn't take long for Etta to realize that as the New Moon reaches its zenith the field may very well begin to diminish as it once more sets in the west.

Jean remains silent and seems to be calming down as she gets over her initial shock of seeing a very real myth of her people's superstitions? No... this was real, and she could see that now. She broke away from her grandfather and began dialing something on her phone.

Inventory
See last post

Actions? 

Brownie Point Pool  
Dr. Jason O'Roarke:  50/73 (**)
Roy O'Dowd: 36/37
Lionel 'Freight Train' Williams: 52/63
Dr. Vanette Conklin: 35/49 (*)
David "Mac" McAuslan 82/96
Dzjokar "Joker" Jelal 36/42

* - +1d6 on any one roll. (Xmas)

** - Jason has -1d6 on every roll until Aug 24th as he recovers from Snake Venom.

[quote="Bluehorse"][/quote]

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#95 Post by Scott308 »

Lionel "Freight Train" Williams

Like the linebacker he is, Lionel waits to get word on whether he needs to take down a spectre.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by Rex »

Mac

Mac watches intently, trying to figure out if he should try to get a better angle on the restless dead at the top of the mound.

GreyWolfVT

#97 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy continues to try and calm down while also in awe of the creature he merely researched earlier in the day now being very much real and in 'person' before him now.

Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#98 Post by Taaz »

Jason nods along with Thomas, solemnly, and makes precise notes about the location of the pole.

He looks up the hill at the vapors and then looks to A'ya'hi'ya I will do everything I can to give them peace, I will speak to the holy man who looks after this land about honoring them so they can move on.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by Bluehorse »

A'ya'hi'ya nods again and his hand reaches out towards the glowing lights one the ground. As he raises his hand there is a beam of light that rises up out of the ground about 8 feet tall and abruptly stops. Beam is the proper name for it... it seems solid... tangibly intangible. Like you could touch it and at the same time your mind tells you that you could not. We await the holy man. Bring the White Shaman.

Thomas gets the oh shit... look on his face and then when everyone else looks at him he clears his throat and shrugs, pointing over his shoulder with his thumb. His face says it all. Well? Someone go get the poor bastard...

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by Urson »

Joker

Joker glances around at his fellow 'Busters, then turns to head for the church. He moves as quickly as he can, still on high alert for snakes.

When he finds Brother Barry:
Brother, we need your help at the mound. If you will come with me, please?

Once they are back in the trees, Joker says, Thomas was able to... call up a spirit revered by the Caddo. It is horrify, but it seems harmless for now. It wants to talk to you.
FA FO

Return to “Mission Archive”