Session 6: The Stone Tooth

DM: Dave
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Session 6: The Stone Tooth

#1 Post by dmw71 »

The Stone Tooth
The journey north from Blasingdell does take the advertised three days. On the morning of this third day, you find yourself passing through brooding pine forests and deep vales.

From where you stand now, maybe 50 yards before the gradual rise begins that eventually develops into a steep incline, you catch sight of a tall, steep hill that rises to a prominent bare knob of rock — the Stone Tooth:
Stone Tooth.jpg
Stone Tooth.jpg (207.94 KiB) Viewed 1337 times
A thin spire of smoke rises from some unseen point high on the hill’s slopes.

You can also make out a steep, narrow road or track that runs back and forth across the face of the mountainside.

---

Okay, guys, beneath the tall spire-like formation is rumored to be the great cavern system where Durgeddin and his followers founded the stronghold of Khundrukar.

How do you want to proceed?

Regardless of your decision, or stated actions, please remember to include the "if needed" roll.

---

Date: 19 Flamerule 1489
Time: 09:33 (Sunrise: 06:04, Sunset: 20:11)
Temp: 63°F
Conditions: Cool.
Light Sources:
  • None.
Known Conditions/Spells in Effect:
  • None.
Character Status
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Session 6: The Stone Tooth

#2 Post by dmw71 »

So, what's the plan here, guys?
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#3 Post by Scott308 »

Qelgrax Klilxuac

Hmm. I don't like seeing that smoke. I was hoping we would be the only ones here. Maybe the story about the orcs was real. He sighs, before heading towards the path.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#4 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben scowls at the smoke as if that would stop it "I don't like that smoke one bit either. Orcs great lets hope not but time will tell." the gnome falls in line following Qelgrax.

Ability/Skill/Stat Check Rolls [1d20] = 11
Last edited by GreyWolfVT on Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#5 Post by Shaede »

Rickwrick

Well, where there's smoke, there's fire...and maybe something to eat. Though, I bet orcs don't like blackberry pie too much! The newcomer tried his best to keep the air light and happy. Deep inside, he was a bit hesitant to take on a whole gang of orcs. Maybe, we should try to sneak up there and see what we see. Rickwrick then cast a spell that would help each of them hide a bit better among the brush and he tried to do his best to do the same.
Cast Guidance on Everyone in Turn: You touch one willing creature. Once before the spell ends, the target can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to one ability check of its choice. It can roll the die before or after making the ability check. The spell then ends.

Stealth: [1d20+5] = 11+5 = 16
Guidance: [1d4] = 1
Extra d20: [1d20] = 3

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sky

"What do you mean? The smoke can only be good news. This is supposed to be a long-lost fortress under this hill, right? In a cavern?" She looks around. "There's a lot of ground out here, to find a hidden fortress in a hidden cavern. Smoke may mean people we could get information from. If we're lucky, maybe they'd even be friendly."

Sky skips along, her spirits buoyed by the new find. "Let's go up the path a bit. No reason to make the climb harder than it needs to be, right?"

If Needed: [1d20] = 18

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#7 Post by dmw71 »

Follow the Path
Keeping their eye on the smoke rising off in the distance, the group elects to simplify their climb and follow the established path. The path, mostly worn dirt with mixed stones and rocks, winds slowly but steadily. It takes just under and hour to hike the approximate half mile until you reach the point in the worn path that is nearest the spire of smoke which originates roughly 200 feet above your current position, and maybe 300 feet off the trail to your right.
Path to Smoke.jpg
Path to Smoke.jpg (211.8 KiB) Viewed 1274 times
It is possible to ignore the smoke and continue along the path.

---

Actions? Regardless of your decision, or stated actions, please remember to include the "if needed" roll.

---

Time: 10:11 (Sunrise: 06:04, Sunset: 20:11)
Conditions: Cool.
Light Sources:
  • None.
  • None.
Character Status
-- Project --
-- DM --

GreyWolfVT

#8 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben looks at the path and back at where the smoke is coming from and shrugs "What do ya guys think? Check the smoke's source out or just forget about it and keep following the path?" the gnome asks.

Ability/Skill/Stat Check Rolls [1d20] = 10
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Scott308

#9 Post by Scott308 »

Qelgrax Klilxuac

On the one hand, I'd prefer to avoid the smoke, as it could be someone hostile there. But I also don't wish to have a potential unknown enemy at our backs. If they notice us, they could follow and ambush us, or get us as we come back. I would rather see what we may need to deal with now, when we are healthy and have our spells, instead of weak, hurt, and depleted on our way out, possibly being chased by someone...or some...thing!
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sky

"Well put. Right. Let's go crash this cookout." Sky crouches down and starts slowly making her way through the trees towards the smoke. She pulls out her crossbow as she does so.

Stealth: [1d20+5] = 16+5 = 21
If Needed: [1d20] = 17

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#11 Post by dmw71 »

Great, I'll move you guys this weekend.
-- Project --
-- DM --

GreyWolfVT

#12 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben nods his head "Sound advice. Plus who knows they might have treasure or food."

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#13 Post by dmw71 »

Chimney
"What do ya guys think? Check out the source of the smoke, or just forget about it and keep following the path?" Kelben wonders aloud.
"I'd prefer to avoid the smoke, as it could be someone hostile there," Klilxuac starts. "But I also don't wish to have a potential unknown enemy at our backs. I would rather see what we may need to deal with now, when we are healthy and have our spells, instead of weak, hurt, and depleted on our way out, possibly being chased by someone...or some...thing!" Sky produces her crossbow and nods affirmatively. "Well put." she adds.

"Right. Let's go crash this cookout."

The group picks their direction and begins traveling towards it, knowing that spotting the source while trailblazing off the established path and into a heavily forested area will be more difficult. "Just keep moving straight," is a routinely uttered reminder or mantra of sorts.

The strategy pays off.

After several hours of careful travel, and shortly after the incline begins to grow more steep, the forest begins to give way to a rocky hill. The trajectory of your incline doesn't change too drastically once reaching this point, but the visibility increases significantly, and you know you're definitely on the right path:
Chimney.jpg
Chimney.jpg (57.67 KiB) Viewed 1233 times

After another hour, near the peak, the source of the smoke reveals itself. A fissure in the natural rock -- maybe six feet long, and between two and three feet wide at its widest -- emits a thin stream of smoke which wafts upwards and begins to spread.

While it releases smoke, this chimney or vertical channel does not give off significant heat. At least not at the surface.

---

Actions? Regardless of your decision, or stated actions, please remember to include the "if needed" roll.

---

Time: 13:37 (Sunrise: 06:04, Sunset: 20:11)
Conditions: Cool, still air.
Light Sources:
  • None.
  • None.
Character Status
-- Project --
-- DM --

GreyWolfVT

#14 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben seeing no foes to thwart decides backtracking to the path is wisest. "Alright well we have a volcano apparently so shall we make for the path and get back on track?" the gnome asks before starting back to the path.

Ability/Skill/Stat Check Rolls [1d20] = 2

Scott308

#15 Post by Scott308 »

Qelgrax Klilxuac

Well, this was an unexpected surprise. At least we know we have nothing here to be concerned with. I feel this has been worth the extra trip, but now we can make our way back to the path, as I see our gnomish friend is already doing. As he speaks, he is looking around to make sure there is nothing of import that is less than obvious.

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#16 Post by Shaede »

Rickwrick

The halfling followed his new companions through the brush and bramble. They were on the hunt for the mighty smoke monster, or at least that was how he built it up in his head. As they approached his hands became twitchy, and he was ready to take it on. To his pleasant suprise, there was no such beast. A chimney or volcano of sorts continued to billow steam and smoke from the ground. Rickwrick shrugged, and nodded to the other's assessment. Yes, to the path! he exclaimed.

GreyWolfVT

#17 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben the gnome stops briefly to add a smart remark "Well I mean unless anyone wants to sacrifice a virgin or some such thing. You know how the old tales go." then proceeds back to the path the way they came as soon as everyone else is in tow.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sky

Sky looks around for a virgin. "It seems like I left it back in town. Next time."

Sky takes a moment to peek down the hole. If she's able to, she'll lay down and listen at the hole. Checking for heat first, of course. She'll try to identify the smoke by smell.
Perception: [1d20+3] = 12+3 = 15
If Needed: [1d20] = 14

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#19 Post by dmw71 »

Chimney
As the rest of the group prepares to retreat the hour-long trek back towards the main path, Sky, after failing to locate a virgin, curiously creeps towards the fissure and tests it for heat. After it proves to be tolerable, she peers over the edge.

It's a deep drop -- maybe 100-feet. The details of only one feature on the wide floor at the end of this descent can be guessed:

A circular fire pit, maybe 5-feet wide, roars steadily.
fire pit.jpg
fire pit.jpg (20.52 KiB) Viewed 1167 times

Inhaling deeply, the half-feline recognizes the scent of burning wood and roasting meat.

---

---

Time: 13:38 (Sunrise: 06:04, Sunset: 20:11)
Conditions: Cool, still air.
Light Sources:
  • None.
  • None.
Character Status
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308

#20 Post by Scott308 »

Qelgrax Klilxuac

When Sky catches up with the group, the dragonborn inquires after what she found. Anything of interest, Sky?

Return to “Tales From the Yawning Portal (5e)”