Late One Night... (adventure starts here)

SpinwardMarch
SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Late One Night... (adventure starts here)

#61 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Chiree gives what for him is a smile and looks happier. I give you great thanks. I cannot promise the elders will give up their coins. They are from a time long ago, and are special. Perhaps they will be pleased with our return and give you several.

I do know that I can probably help you find a broken ship with many things in its hold. Ships sometimes land on rocks and sink.

1. Given the tech level of 5 (like 1900-1930 in our world), much commercial transportation is by ships. You probably saw advertisements for the submerisbles, which are combination cargo and passenger vessels. One of the ruling families, the Margraves, have the monopoly on steel and metal construction materials. They have developed and produced the Margrave H Series submersible boats.

2. The original adventure (1980) has gold as Cr200 per ounce. I think that Cr1000 is better. Today's spot price is around $1400/oz.
SpinwardMarch

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#62 Post by spanningtree »

Ringar frowns: I don't know, I am already down on my luck here, we all are. Can you offer something more sound? So far you have only said "I cannot promise" and "I can probably"... how about "I will"?
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#63 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Chiree looks puzzled. I will do my best to have the elders reward you with coins, when my brother and sister are returned. That is all I can promise. I am sorry. He looks genuinely despondent.

There are other beings in that bad place, also being held. I hope to be able to let them go as well.

To move the plot along... it is getting late, and you all return to your respective hotel rooms/apartments/boarding house. Where is Chiree staying for the night?

Madox has a job interview the next day, at a warehouse on the docks. You figure your background in the Merchant Marine will be helpful.

What is everyone else doing?
SpinwardMarch

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by Pulpatoon »

December suggests Chiree stay at Ringar's place. "It is too risky to move him through the streets. But, of course, that means greater risk for you, as host. If you would like, I could stay, sleep on a cot, and be on hand just in case any trouble starts up."

December starts to research shipping and travel schedules, trying to figure out a way to get to this southern facility.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Jernau35 »

Jrec

The ex-marine prepares to return to his room, when he catches Chirree's remark about finding a broken ship with things in it's hold.

"That sounds promising. Assuming any of it works". He thinks it over for a minute. "I've heard submarines are used a lot here. Maybe we could...get one...somehow. Or some other way..." His voice tails off.

Jrec leaves, intent on investigating the feasibility of "borrowing" a submersible or an air/raft. (Specifically, the kind of security they are kept under).
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by ybn1197 »

Madox gets all his things ready as soon as he returns to his room. It would be very unseemly to be late to his interview, they have been few and far between and he couldn't mess it up. This thing with Chiree sounded promising enough be he needed cash to get off this planet and he needed to hedge his bets. The thing with the others and the Chiree would get him off planet faster if it panned out but no one pays for berths with empty promises.

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#67 Post by spanningtree »

Ringar

Absolutely, the Chiree can stay here. To dangerous to be on the move.

Ringar will work with Jrec to try an secure transport.

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#68 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Thank you very much. The people throw rocks at us, when they see us.

He will look around the room and asks to take a spare pillow and a chair cushion to make a sleeping nest.

The next day, Madox will go to the job interview, and submit his paperwork. There are a number of other applicants for the position, so he will have to wait several days to find out if he gets the job.

On the way back to his room, he drops into a local marine supply house, just to check out what is available at this tech level. While there, he overhears a conversation between a customer and the shopkeeper:

Yeah, Captain Mora is about to loose that submersible. He spends too much at the gambling tables and now the idiot can't make the payments. He even has a job waiting, if he can only get a crew. Thing is, he hasn't bothered to advertise for a crew yet. Gambling. Ugh.

What do you do? What is everyone else doing?
SpinwardMarch

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by ybn1197 »

SpinwardMarch wrote:Yeah, Captain Mora is about to loose that submersible. He spends too much at the gambling tables and now the idiot can't make the payments. He even has a job waiting, if he can only get a crew. Thing is, he hasn't bothered to advertise for a crew yet. Gambling. Ugh.
"Pardon me, you say this Captain is looking for a crew? Any idea where I can find him?"

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#70 Post by SpinwardMarch »

(the shopkeeper): So looking for some work? His ship is at the docks for the submersibles. If you head over to the dock area, ask for Captain Enli Mirakru. With luck, he won't be off someplace gambling. If you can get him away from the card tables, he is a good submersible captain. Knows his stuff.

Will Madox go back to find the group or go to the docks first?

Actions?

(hand wavy bits on city geography, unless the group has other ideas)
SpinwardMarch

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by ybn1197 »

Madox thanks the shopkeeper and returns to find the group and let them know about the submersible.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by Pulpatoon »

December: "Are any of us skilled gamblers? We could try to win the craft off him. Or is that too fanciful? We should just go get ourselves hired onto his crew, shouldn't we?"

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#73 Post by spanningtree »

Ringar

Even if we won the ship from him who would pilot it? I can pilot star ships but not so sure a sub would be something I would bet on myself for. Maybe we could hire him as crew?

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#74 Post by SpinwardMarch »

See the Comments/ooc thread for more info and rationale for my action.

To assist the group, the referee is going to give Harvan Jerec (Ex-MarineTrooper) Gambling-1.

This should be fun. :lol:
SpinwardMarch

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by Jernau35 »

"Gambler is just another word for loser" Jrec says, confidently. "Those of us who know what we're doing are called winners".

"We win the sub, go on the mission, and sell the sub when we get back. That gives us even more money to buy passage off this damn slab."
He gives his best effort at a smile and spreads his arms out in a what-could-be-easier? gesture.
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#76 Post by SpinwardMarch »

What could possibly go wrong?
Usually said just before something really bad happens. But, we shall see.

Have December, Giotto, and Ringar also been looking for work/ways to generate funds?

How has Ringar been getting along with Chiree?
SpinwardMarch

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by Pulpatoon »

December has been researching travel routes between here and the southern island, as well as looking for work as either a medic or a computer tech. When Jrec starts talking seriously about gambling, December gets a deck of cards so the company can play, and see just how good Jrec is.

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#78 Post by spanningtree »

Ringar has been getting along with Chiree. Making sure the little guys get suitable food, etc.. Rangar looks for work at the starport.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#79 Post by ffilz »

Giotto will also be looking for a job. He will also suggest before taking leave of the room that we all purchase personal communicators in the morning.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#80 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Excellent idea, Giotto.

The personal communicator is one of the more popular off-world tech items.

"Small, ear-piece-type short range communicators with long-life batteries. Weight is negligible, and the communicators are undetectable to the casual observer. Range: 10 km across open areas, less than 1000 meters underwater. Price: Cr100 each."

There are several specialty shops which sell items like communicators. I will assume you will separately buy your own comm. unit; everyone going in at once would probably cause you all to "come to the attention of people in high(er) places." Like those cops. Unless you really want another chat with them.

Chiree can't wear one, but he will manage, using his own talents.

And now, everyone please roll 2d6 and post your results.
SpinwardMarch

Return to “Research Station Gamma (Classic Traveller)”