Late One Night... (adventure starts here)

SpinwardMarch
Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Late One Night... (adventure starts here)

#101 Post by Jernau35 »

Jrec

Jrec hopes that the game will be poker and not some strange local variant. Though with the eternal confidence of a gambler, he's quite confident that if it is, he can learn it quickly and well.

Hopefully Jrec is a better poker player than I am! :lol:

I'll put a 2d6 roll below to get the ball rolling. (In a spoiler to maintain the element of surprise for anybody who doesn't want to know :D )

I believe his Gambling skill adds 1 to that?
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#102 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Amazingly enough, the game is standard poker. Because the Referee says so.

I have confidence that Jrec will do well. Not so sure about the sub captain, he seems to have been drinking a little before the group arrived. He is rather depressed looking.
For the first hand, he rolls: [2d6] = 4

(Requesting assistance from group members for creative way to run the card game. Remember, I am new at GM-ing games.
Sorry about not posting sooner, my brain is melting. It has been slightly hot outside this week: 105°F.)
SpinwardMarch

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#103 Post by Jernau35 »

I did a bit of Googling and came across this game "Avandra's Favor". It's based on 2d6 rolls, so might be adapted here. Would "buying" the extra d6 roll be a good poker simulation?

https://geekandsundry.com/run-the-gambl ... -campaign/

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#104 Post by spanningtree »

Maybe the best 2 out of 3 on the Unseen dice roller?
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#105 Post by SpinwardMarch »

I will go with the extra 1d6. That works for me.

The group can't do much about the Research Station until they can get there, which may involve unique card games.
SpinwardMarch

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#106 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Picking up the thread again... and moving the timeline along.

Jrec wins the card games. The captain's color has drained, and he looks helpless. He has lost all of the money to make this month's sub payment.

What kind of agreement does the group make with the captain?

Over to you!
SpinwardMarch

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by Jernau35 »

Jrec

"You played well captain, but tonight just wasn't your night". Jrec gathers up his winnings.

"I've got some good news for you though. Fortune might be about to come your way. My associates over there would like to talk to you about an idea we have..."

Jrec indicates the rest of the group.

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#108 Post by spanningtree »

Ringar

A bit of a business proposition really... taking a sip of beer. We have a job at hand that needs a submersible to complete.... a submersible and its pilot. Maybe... we cover your payment and you support us for this job?

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#109 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Captain Mirakru looks around at the group, confused, and slightly panicked. He has just lost nearly all of his available Credits to Jrec. He is now officially broke.

I... alright, what is it you want to do? You have the advantage, and my Credits. I hope this... job... this won't be something I will completely regret.

Jrec has "liberated" Cr 5000 from Mirakru.
Off to the side of the table, Chiree appears for just a moment, with what for chirpers is a large smile. He then "disappears" again. Fortunately, no one else in the room noticed his sudden appearance.

Actions?

Note: I will shortly provide more detailed maps of where the research station is located, and what you need to get before you leave.

From the book: "The exact location must be specified by the referee, and suitable rumors or charts provided for the benefit of the adventurers. Guess I have homework. :?
SpinwardMarch

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#110 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Imperial Date: 307-1106

Sorry for the delay. I created and uploaded the maps. Finally. Next, scan of submersible...

viewtopic.php?f=784&t=8532

You are currently in the unnamed main city in the center of the map. Your destination is in the group of small islands (in blue) at the bottom of the map.

I want to skip to the trip to your destination. You have secured the cooperation of the captain... as well as securing most of his money. He will be delivering the previously mentioned shipment of some kind of cargo to an outpost village/town near the research station. Which I have decided does have a fueling station.

Your "ride:"
The submersible has a crew of eight, including the captain, and carries up to 12 people; it is also capable of carrying 8 tons of cargo. It is similar to the primitive subs of WWI.

Most of the time they run surfaced. Once they reach arctic waters (north or south) on Vanejen, they run submerged to avoid ice. Navigation is by compass and charts, and using the thick glass ports in the forward hatch for visual observations.

Dimensions: 45.0 meters long, 4.5 m. high, 3.7 m. wide at the middle. Maximum diameter is 4.5 m. near the center.
Propulsion: 2 diesel and 2 electric motors, plus battery sets.
Fuel capacity: 16 tons
Distance on "full tank:" 4400 km/10 days at optimum cruising. (4000 km = about 5 hexes)

Captain Mirakru will welcome the group on board, and will not notice Chiree entering with you.

Actions?
SpinwardMarch

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#111 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Alright, I think I have things together, and get this going again. Huzzah for flatbed scanners.

First of all, meet Chiree, the Chirper.
chiree.jpeg
chiree.jpeg (24.87 KiB) Viewed 3219 times
And now, the submersible boat in which you will be travelling.
submersibleboat.jpeg
submersibleboat.jpeg (27.42 KiB) Viewed 3219 times
Where you are going:
continent2.3.jpeg
continent2.3.jpeg (786.01 KiB) Viewed 3218 times
SpinwardMarch

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#112 Post by spanningtree »

Ringar

Okay, we've secured transportation... where exactly we going?

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#113 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Where are you going? Follow the red line on the map... yes, that far. The Research Station is located between the small islands.

The sub will need to be refueled several times. Each hex on the planet map is 800 km. In optimal conditions, the subs have a range of 4400 km/ten days. The captain has cargo that (conveniently) needs to be delivered to the island nearest the Research Station.

Speed:
surfaced, full speed, 21 kph, (one hex in 38 hours)
submerged: full speed, 18 kph (one hex in 44 hours)

This trip will take some time. Be prepared to have something to do while on the sub. The ship does carry extra cold weather gear for passengers.

This is why the group needed formal transportation. Note that those islands are similar to Greenland, mostly ice covered in the center, with some bare land at the edges. In winter, they are completely covered in snow. Icebergs are common; the submersibles became popular, as they make delivering passengers and cargo around polar regions much easier.
SpinwardMarch

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#114 Post by ffilz »

Sounds like we need to procure cold weather gear.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#115 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Yes, you may want to get some warm clothing. The sub does have some extra coats, etc. for passengers, but something that actually fits your character properly may be a good idea.

The price list is in the Comments & Stuff thread.
Let me know what each of you choose.
SpinwardMarch

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#116 Post by ffilz »

Giotto will purchase the TL 8 heatsuit for 420 cr, he already spent 100 cr on a communicator, so that leaves him 480 cr.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#117 Post by ffilz »

Giotto will also ask Captain Mirakru: Does your submarine have a standard docking fixture for docking with underwater docking collars?

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#118 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Captain Mirakru looks puzzled : Underwater docking collar? We use the forward air lock to exit the ship, if necessary, when it is underwater.

He pauses, realizing the group is not familiar with the excellent aquatic products* of Margrave Steel.

Normally, the H-6 runs at the surface, and submerges only when there is too much surface ice. The ship model is only rated to a maximum depth of 200 meters, and we rarely reach that depth. Do you have any other questions about the H-6? He seems to be proud of the Vanejen ship-building industry.

This is your opportunity to let the captain spew facts about the submersible. Ask away.

Your shopping trip is successful, and all members of the group have TL 8 heatsuits, in appropriate sizes.

*for TL 5.
SpinwardMarch

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#119 Post by spanningtree »

Ringar

Does the vessel have any way to protect itself? How about navigation underwater? Does you use compass? Anything else?

Are there any travel restrictions we should be aware of? Patrols?

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#120 Post by Jernau35 »

Jrec

"Anything like dangerous wildlife? Or pirates? Or smugglers?"

Then Jrec considers something the captain mentioned. "What if you do have to get out underwater? You have wetsuits and stuff like that of course, right?".

Return to “Research Station Gamma (Classic Traveller)”