Character Creation

thirdkingdom
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Character Creation

#1 Post by thirdkingdom »

We're going to keep the character creation process confined to this thread. Please copy the initial rolls I provided when making your first post in this thread.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Character Creation

#2 Post by sulldawga »

thirdkingdom wrote:
sulldawga wrote:Interested.
1. Str, Int, Wis, Dex, Con, Cha:: 6#3d6 10 15 12 9 8 17
2. http://orokos.com/roll/729953: 6#3d6 13 11 8 14 8 10
3. http://orokos.com/roll/729954: 6#3d6 4 12 9 13 10 6

Look at that juicy Charisma score in item #1! I'll say you can go ahead and swap any two scores.
I'm playing a mage. Taking the #1 set of scores.

Going to swap the 15 in INT with the 17 in CHR.

Then going to drop WIS to 10 and raise INT to 18.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Pulpatoon »

Moved this post over from the LFP thread:
Pulpatoon wrote:Alright, so, at present, my 7th level Thief has the following knacks and skills and whatnots:
Aldus wrote:===Knacks===
Rogue’s Luck (+1 to Saves)
Skillful (+3 Skills)
Toughness (1d8 HD)

===Skills===
Athletics: Expert (≥5)
Deception: Expert (≥5)
Profession (Tailor): Skilled (≥10)
Trickery: Proficient (≥15)

===Class Abilities===
Thief Abilities (1d20 ≥ 14; faster disadvantaged; slower advantaged)
Climb: 10’/round (+5)
Disable: 1 minute (+5)
Hear Noise (+2)
Read Languages: 3 Turns (+3)
Sleight of Hand (+5)
Sneak: 1/3 movement (+5)
Spot Hidden: 1 Turn per 10x10’ (+5)
I can climb or do sleight of hand with either system. I'd rather use skills than thief abilities for these, because the mechanics are more favorable.

Climbing
Skills: [1d20-1 ≥5] (80% chance of success)
Abilities: [1d20+5 ≥14] (55% chance of success)

If I switch my Knack from Skillful to Thievery, the new arrangement would likely result in:
Skills: [1d20-1 ≥10] (55% chance of success)
Abilities: [1d20+6 ≥14] (60% chance of success)

So, skills are still better.

When you say I could roll with advantage, which system would I be rolling in? How much do I have to have to have in skill-climb to get advantage in ability-climb or vice versa?

I'm sure this all sounds horribly min-max of me, but at present I have a lot of character resources tied up, double-dipping on some core capabilities, and I want to make sure I understand the system enough to make some intelligent choices. Given you knowledge of how these systems play out, do you have any suggestions for how I should set this character up?

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by thirdkingdom »

Pulpatoon wrote:Moved this post over from the LFP thread:
Pulpatoon wrote:Alright, so, at present, my 7th level Thief has the following knacks and skills and whatnots:
Aldus wrote:===Knacks===
Rogue’s Luck (+1 to Saves)
Skillful (+3 Skills)
Toughness (1d8 HD)

===Skills===
Athletics: Expert (≥5)
Deception: Expert (≥5)
Profession (Tailor): Skilled (≥10)
Trickery: Proficient (≥15)

===Class Abilities===
Thief Abilities (1d20 ≥ 14; faster disadvantaged; slower advantaged)
Climb: 10’/round (+5)
Disable: 1 minute (+5)
Hear Noise (+2)
Read Languages: 3 Turns (+3)
Sleight of Hand (+5)
Sneak: 1/3 movement (+5)
Spot Hidden: 1 Turn per 10x10’ (+5)
I can climb or do sleight of hand with either system. I'd rather use skills than thief abilities for these, because the mechanics are more favorable.

Climbing
Skills: [1d20-1 ≥5] (80% chance of success)
Abilities: [1d20+5 ≥14] (55% chance of success)

If I switch my Knack from Skillful to Thievery, the new arrangement would likely result in:
Skills: [1d20-1 ≥10] (55% chance of success)
Abilities: [1d20+6 ≥14] (60% chance of success)

So, skills are still better.

When you say I could roll with advantage, which system would I be rolling in? How much do I have to have to have in skill-climb to get advantage in ability-climb or vice versa?

I'm sure this all sounds horribly min-max of me, but at present I have a lot of character resources tied up, double-dipping on some core capabilities, and I want to make sure I understand the system enough to make some intelligent choices. Given you knowledge of how these systems play out, do you have any suggestions for how I should set this character up?
Quoting my answer here:
thirdkingdom wrote:I guess my assumption was that the thief-adjacent skills would be chosen by non-thief characters that wanted the chance to do something kinda thiefy. If it were me, personally, I would spend skill slots on stuff other than what I got for free. I would strongly recommend Riding, at least at Proficient (this goes for everyone). This is going to be an overland campaign. I mean, yeah, skills are in theory better if that's what you invest in, but at 7th level you, assuming an average distribution of points, should succeeding at most thief abilities 50% of the time. This, by the way, lines up roughly with the thief abilities at 7th level according to B/X.

But, if you want to spend skill slots on thief abilities that's totally your call. And by Advantage I mean I'd allow you to roll twice and take the better result.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by thirdkingdom »

sulldawga wrote:
thirdkingdom wrote:
sulldawga wrote:Interested.
1. Str, Int, Wis, Dex, Con, Cha:: 6#3d6 10 15 12 9 8 17
2. http://orokos.com/roll/729953: 6#3d6 13 11 8 14 8 10
3. http://orokos.com/roll/729954: 6#3d6 4 12 9 13 10 6

Look at that juicy Charisma score in item #1! I'll say you can go ahead and swap any two scores.
I'm playing a mage. Taking the #1 set of scores.

Going to swap the 15 in INT with the 17 in CHR.

Then going to drop WIS to 10 and raise INT to 18.
sully, the scroll your character has contains the 5th level spell Faithful Hound p. 62, Lab Lord Advanced. Remember, you can either cast the spell from a scroll, which erases it, or you can study and memorize it, which doesn't memorize it.

Your character also has a spellbook with the following spells (1st, 2nd, and 3rd level spells,: 2d4+2 9 2d3+2 6 1d4+2 3. You can trade two spells from the below for one spell of your choice, of the same level. This can be done once per spell level.

1st level. Spider Climb, Enlarge, Hold Portal, Allure, Mending, Read Languages, Sleep, Shocking Grasp, Shield.

2nd level. Pyrotechnics, Stinking Cloud, Strength, False Trap, Invisibility

3rd level. Blink, Hold Person, Clairaudience

VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#7 Post by VonAlric »

thirdkingdom wrote:
VonAlric wrote:I'm interested in giving this a go.
1. Str, Int, Wis, Dex, Con, Cha:: 6#3d6 10 6 9 6 9 11
2. http://orokos.com/roll/729996: 6#3d6 12 7 11 11 12 5
3. http://orokos.com/roll/729999: 6#3d6 4 9 14 15 14 15

Again, swap any two scores. Shame about that 4.
Yeah, that is a shame. This was tough to decide. Think we shall go a fighter route. Take the third set of numbers and swap the Str and Wis (oh boy).
It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by thirdkingdom »

VonAlric wrote:
thirdkingdom wrote:

Yeah, that is a shame. This was tough to decide. Think we shall go a fighter route. Take the third set of numbers and swap the Str and Wis (oh boy).
Cool. I'll give you starting gold and magic item rolls.

VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#9 Post by VonAlric »

Question. Looking at the saving throws as listed in the Hex Revised Classes pdf and the character sheet and the five categories do not match up. How are you adjusting for this?
It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by thirdkingdom »

VonAlric wrote:Question. Looking at the saving throws as listed in the Hex Revised Classes pdf and the character sheet and the five categories do not match up. How are you adjusting for this?
Ah. The character sheet was an old one I copied from a previous game. The one in the character document takes precedence.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by thirdkingdom »

VonAlric wrote:
thirdkingdom wrote:

Starting with 6,000 gp, a sword +1, 3 arrow +2, and a shield +2.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by thirdkingdom »

You guys are starting with a fair amount of money. You can bank as much of it as you like; your factor will be able to store it safely for you. You're welcome to purchase as much as you'd like before the start of play: mounts, mercenaries, trade goods, whatever. Once play begins you'll find that Junction is somewhat limited in terms of what you can buy. There are larger markets further towards civilization, where you'll probably want to go for big ticket items: selling magical items, purchasing warhorses or a lot of mounts, or hiring large numbers of mercenaries.

For the start of play, however, we'll assume that you've essentially got unlimited access to goods to prep for your adventures.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by sulldawga »

Is it ok to spend multiple Skill slots on one Skill at 1st level?

With my +3 INT, I get 4 to start, plus one more at 4th level.

I'm thinking about going with Riding (Proficient), Knowledge - History (Proficient), and Magical Engineering (Expert).

EDIT: What sources can I use to choose spells, if I decide to do the 2 for 1 deal?

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by thirdkingdom »

sulldawga wrote:Is it ok to spend multiple Skill slots on one Skill at 1st level?

With my +3 INT, I get 4 to start, plus one more at 4th level.

I'm thinking about going with Riding (Proficient), Knowledge - History (Proficient), and Magical Engineering (Expert).

EDIT: What sources can I use to choose spells, if I decide to do the 2 for 1 deal?
That's fine. Use LL Basic or B/X if your going to swap out spells. LL Advanced are rare spells.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by thirdkingdom »

HP for Aldus: 1d8+1 6 2d8+2 14 3d8+3 17 4d8+4 24 5d8+5 22 6d8+6 37.... 38 hp, since the total for sixth level was higher than the total for seventh.

HP for Telemachus:: 1d6-1 3 2d6-2 5 3d6 12 3 3 4d6 11 4 4...

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by sulldawga »

The last couple of rolls for Telemachus got cut off.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by thirdkingdom »

sulldawga wrote:The last couple of rolls for Telemachus got cut off.
You can just click the link to the rolls.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by sulldawga »

Have you considered adopting the 5e rule where some Utility spells can be cast as Rituals, with a longer time to cast, but don't count toward the number of spells cast per day?

It would increase the usefulness of spells like Read Languages.

Also, can you look at the description for False Trap? It gives a duration of 6 turns per level but the description says it "permanently" creates the false trap. Which is it?

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by sulldawga »

thirdkingdom wrote:sully, the scroll your character has contains the 5th level spell Faithful Hound p. 62, Lab Lord Advanced. Remember, you can either cast the spell from a scroll, which erases it, or you can study and memorize it, which doesn't memorize it.

Your character also has a spellbook with the following spells (1st, 2nd, and 3rd level spells,: 2d4+2 9 2d3+2 6 1d4+2 3. You can trade two spells from the below for one spell of your choice, of the same level. This can be done once per spell level.

1st level. Spider Climb, Enlarge, Hold Portal, Allure, Mending, Read Languages, Sleep, Shocking Grasp, Shield.

2nd level. Pyrotechnics, Stinking Cloud, Strength, False Trap, Invisibility

3rd level. Blink, Hold Person, Clairaudience
Going to dump False Trap and Pyrotechnics for Knock.

Going to dump Blink and Clairaudience for Fireball.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by thirdkingdom »

sulldawga wrote:Have you considered adopting the 5e rule where some Utility spells can be cast as Rituals, with a longer time to cast, but don't count toward the number of spells cast per day?

It would increase the usefulness of spells like Read Languages.

Also, can you look at the description for False Trap? It gives a duration of 6 turns per level but the description says it "permanently" creates the false trap. Which is it?
Let me think on ritual magic. I would say False Trap creates a permanent spell. Otherwise it would just be silly.

Return to “A Brave New World (OSE)”