[010] In The Ruins

ffilz
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: [010] In The Ruins

#181 Post by ffilz »

I'm going to assume Nathan and Taheri respond in the negative about a vargr being part of the scout group.

On seeing the vargr in it's primitive state, Ana reconsiders that she may have misinterpreted the tracks outside. It must have come along later and simply followed the earlier tracks. The radiation inside the structure is minimal. Outside, in the valley floor, it's not great, but not deadly. Even on the routes you took over the ridge between the valleys the radiation level would not be sufficient to cause illness but definitely outside recommended exposure.

The vargr is confused, it clearly does not understand Imperial Anglic... It does recognize that among you are warriors and you clearly are a superior force and it takes an appropriately defensive but not totally submissive posture.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#182 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Cmdr. Taheri

Ah, interesting. La Légion. I think I have heard of them. I new to this general area of space, having served elsewhere.
To Nathan:I know that, Quinn. I am sure they can find something that suits your skill set.

Taheri does not have a problem with Vargar, or any other non-humans, as long as they are not trying to kill her.
SpinwardMarch

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#183 Post by Faanku »

Shrugging with a beaten smile, Nathan accepts the situation. "I suppose the quicker they get out, the quicker we can be off this rock. I hope this Jones is as good as you say."

I'm sure Nathan has thrown his lot in with worse than Vargr. He won't mind their presence.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#184 Post by Tiglath »

Foix gives up trying to speak with the Vargr and instead detaches his sheathed survival knife from the webbing on his chest. He holds it up for the Vargr to see and then carefully lobs it over to land at the canine’s feet.

He radios back to the launch “Vee, send our reinforcements in following the route on our tactical map. It seems this place harbours all manner of indigenous species from Vargr to the “Spiders”. Tell our new friends not to shoot up the wildlife on their way in – Auntie will no doubt want to adopt most of it”.

He adds “Sara, if you want to instantly become my Aunt’s favourite crew member some data capture of the Vargr and these tapestries would do the job. While the comm link remains stable send it back to the launch. If they forward it on to the Kiara Surabi Auntie might tell us what it all means”.

Since the Vargr seems at least non aggressive Foix takes the opportunity to take off his vacc suit helmet. He declares “I’m testing the atmosphere”. After an awkward one handed search whilst keeping an eye on the Vargr he retrieves a somewhat squashed soft blue packet from a pocket. From this he extracts and lights a cigarette, inhaling gratefully he comments “It tastes of Gauloises - atmosphere safe”.

Foix studies the room looking for a door leading (north?) in the direction of our psionic fix on the missing scouts.
Last edited by Tiglath on Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Player: Jonathan/Tiglath
Sigrun Volsung, 9B7886, Lt Commander, 3 terms, age 31
Gun Cbt 3 (Rifle 2, Pistol 1), Melee Cbt 1 (Axe), Pilot 1,
Gunnery 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1, Recon 1,
Electronics 0, Grav Vehicle 0
Enemy: Imperial Navy (Lunion) Ine Givar(?)

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#185 Post by joertexas »

Tiglath wrote:He radios back to the launch “Vee, send our reinforcements in following the route on our tactical map. It seems this place harbours all manner of indigenous species from Vargr to the “Spiders”. Tell our new friends not to shoot up the wildlife on their way in – Auntie will no doubt want to adopt most of it”.
"Will do,, my lord," Vee answers. After a brief consultation with her copilot, Vee sets the shuttle up on a steep descent into the closest safe landing site to the temple entrance. "Lord Foix says he could use your assistance inside," she says over the cabin intercom as the shuttle settles into a slightly bumpy landing.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#186 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Cmdr. Taheri

Out we go. "Lay on Macduff; and damn'd be him that first cries, 'Hold, enough.'" May as well get going, as soon as we are briefed. She is checking her vacc suit and weapons before going anywhere.
SpinwardMarch

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#187 Post by Tiglath »

Grimaud says “Good luck. Squee will direct you into the temple”. He then seems to effortlessly change mental gears and becomes loadmaster/EVA tech. He links Taheri and Nathan’s suit radios to the team’s tactical channel and performs additional vacc suit “buddy checks” for them both before cycling the air lock to let them off the launch.

He transmits "Sending you two with Squee" via his comm which is answered with a laconic "Bien".

A short distance away the entrance to the temple lies at the foot of a massive canine monument. Incongruously (perhaps) the pair are ushered within by a vacc suit clad dolphin using a grav belt for mobility. The dolphin introduces herself as “Squee” and directs them into the entrance tunnel and down a ramp.

(Presuming that they follow directions) they find that at the foot of the ramp the passage continues right but to the left are three doors. One is open and within stand four figures.

One is a local Vargr wearing jack armour and armed with bow and spear. Three figures in Domain of Foix liveried vacc suits are nearby. Two are alert and look the most dangerous being armed with a rifle and autorifle respectively, the other shorter figure operates a handheld scanner or sensor.

(OOC: Apols for "borrowing" Squee to facilitate the PCs joining up. It struck me that we just needed Squee to obey orders so everyone could take their intended actions within the "sealed game environment" that is the tunnel between the advance party and the launch.

Frank we made need a "narrative nudge" here to avoid stalling).

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#188 Post by Ramona »

Ana looks at the new comers and nods, “Morning.”. She doesn’t sound unfriendly, more preoccupied with the room and her own personal dislike of being underground.

Squee,” she says to the dolphin, “maybe you can open a sialohue with this fellow and see if he knows anything.

Ana starts looking at the tapestries and the walls to see if anything seems off.

ie. the shape indicates another opening or maybe an observation area.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#189 Post by Tiglath »

Foix is tall with a muscular build and carries both himself and his squad automatic weapon with confidence. Without his vacc suit helmet his dark hair, vivid blue eyes and classically handsome features are more visible, together with a fine scar across the orbit of his left eye. He is clearly at ease in a tactical environment and greets the new arrivals with a curt nod to each as they enter “Commander Taheri, M’sieu Quinn - we are glad to have you both with us”.

(OOC: That he has their names prior to their arrival either indicates an adherence to social etiquette by his professional staff or maybe perhaps the sort of mind games nobles play to put other folk off guard ;) :) ).

Indicating his two comrades in turn he smiles with genuine warmth as he says “Général Jones gave the welcoming address and this is Captain Sara Kelley. I am the Comte de Foix”.

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#190 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Cmdr. Taheri

She has been around lots of people, so replies formally, I am pleased to make your acquaintance, Comte Foix. Now what would you have us do?

She is going to take a good look around the room for any obvious incongruities... there is the Vargar, but he/she does not look particularly hostile, and is definitely outnumbered.
SpinwardMarch

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#191 Post by Tiglath »

Foix’s smile broadens “Enchanté Madame Commander! Is that a Naval or Imperial Marine rank?”

He replies “As to our task here - well, it seems we encounter new species at every turn so our military posture must remain “flexibly diplomatic” no?"

He continues "The Vargr here seems sensible enough to the disparity in forces to offer no trouble and likewise for the "Spiders" who room off the main tunnel – just as well because they are armed with lasers like your own. As to that please take your tactical cues from myself and Ana and use your laser rifle to provide cover as we move”.

His gaze switches across and meets that of Nathan “I believe this is not your first action M’sieu Quinn? Protect and assist Captain Kelley if you please”.

Returning his attention to both new arrivals he adds “I thank you both for volunteering”. He smiles again confidently “For a rescue even the worst Général needs more rescuers than casualties”. He grins “Fortunately I rate myself a little better than that!”

Edit: minor rewording

lenusmars
Guide
Guide

#192 Post by lenusmars »

Sara holds her breath, watching the scene with controlled anxiety. When the Vargr doesn't respond she lets out a breath and smirks at Ana's eye roll.

At Foix's suggestion she starts recording what she can of both the Vargr and the tapestries.

When the newcomers arrive and she's introduced as "Captain" she snorts. "Void save us from a noble's obsession with rank." She murmurs, continuing her data capture, after waving at the new arrivals. "Give me the Scout service any day."

Sara is tiny, about 5 feet even. Fire-red shorter hair. Cute, if a bit baby faced. And despite her data gathering activities, seems to be keeping a concerned eye on "General Jones"

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#193 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Cmdr. Taheri

Naval, my Lord. As your launch rescued us from a rather long walk, this is the least we can do.
She takes up a guard position where he indicates.
SpinwardMarch

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#194 Post by Faanku »

"Yeah, a real pleasure." Nathan responds to the various introductions with resigned frustration. He can use a weapon and has been in enough scraps to know his way around a fight, but that doesn't make him any more comfortable on the frontlines of a radioactive alien ruin; sentiments his initial assessment of Sara tells him the former Scout share. He crouches down next to his fellow pilot. "You must be getting paid a damn sight more than we are."

Nathan is of average height, an inch off 6ft perhaps. Though the loaned vaccsuit is in the way, his clothes are dated and extremely casual, and his British accent is about as informal as you can get; his every word sounds tinged with sarcasm.
He's also slightly more frail than the average human, but has a pretty high Intelligence stat despite his player knowing next to nothing about the setting or the rules, so bear with me as I pick things up.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#195 Post by ffilz »

I owe a response from the Vargr... I hope I can get to that this afternoon, but before then, don't over commit...
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#196 Post by Ramona »

The tall woman with shocking white hair sticks a hand out after finishing her survey of the room, she’s long and lean with an irritated expression on her face. “Ana, or Anastasia, General Jones was retired a few months back thusly only my ex-command and the Comte are the only one who uses my rank anymore.

She shakes Nathan’s hand first, testing his grip and commitment, “Wait, you’re getting paid? I was just promised a bottle of whiskey and a comfortable bunk.

Taheri’s hand, her grip is firm, “Squiddy.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#197 Post by Tiglath »

It’s unclear whether Foix hears Sara’s murmured comment or not but immediately afterwards he wears a wry smile as he asks “Sara would you forward your data to the Kiara Surabi so Auntie can take a look? Please remind her that we can enjoy the cultural nuances after she’s warned us about anything that translates as “danger, explosive or avoid”.

Turning his piercing blue eyes and winning smile back to Commander Taheri Foix says “Madame Commander, please call me Foix if you wish it – people who fight alongside me generally do”.
Ramona wrote:Ana, or Anastasia, General Jones was retired a few months back thusly only my ex-command and the Comte are the only one who uses my rank anymore.
Foix adds quietly “Indeed, few use Ana’s rank any longer and so maybe Général Jones fades from Imperial memory - but, here in the Rift, La Légion 2nd Infantry and my Paras remember her from the breach at Hessia”.

Sharing the team tactical map to Taheri and Quinn's suit systems he adds “We have a fix on the position of the missing scout team. They appear to be incapacitated but at least now we have enough able bodies to carry them out”.

(OOC: Frank re: the Vargr Foix gifted him/her his survival knife - at least it does less damage than a spear! ;)

We are also looking to continue our progress towards the MIAs via any convenient route north(?) of our position).
Last edited by Tiglath on Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#198 Post by Tiglath »

Faanku wrote: bear with me as I pick things up.[/ooc]
(OOC: No worries! :) Please feel free to PM or post OOC with any notes or queries - I'm sure someone will quickly provide an answer. The Google doc and Frank's web page provide ship plans and a map of the Rift for reference).

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#199 Post by ffilz »

Tiglath wrote:Foix gives up trying to speak with the Vargr and instead detaches his sheathed survival knife from the webbing on his chest. He holds it up for the Vargr to see and then carefully lobs it over to land at the canine’s feet.

He radios back to the launch “Vee, send our reinforcements in following the route on our tactical map. It seems this place harbours all manner of indigenous species from Vargr to the “Spiders”. Tell our new friends not to shoot up the wildlife on their way in – Auntie will no doubt want to adopt most of it”.

He adds “Sara, if you want to instantly become my Aunt’s favourite crew member some data capture of the Vargr and these tapestries would do the job. While the comm link remains stable send it back to the launch. If they forward it on to the Kiara Surabi Auntie might tell us what it all means”.

Since the Vargr seems at least non aggressive Foix takes the opportunity to take off his vacc suit helmet. He declares “I’m testing the atmosphere”. After an awkward one handed search whilst keeping an eye on the Vargr he retrieves a somewhat squashed soft blue packet from a pocket. From this he extracts and lights a cigarette, inhaling gratefully he comments “It tastes of Gauloises - atmosphere safe”.

Foix studies the room looking for a door leading (north?) in the direction of our psionic fix on the missing scouts.
The Vargr picks up the knife and examines it and then tucks it into his belt giving a gesture that can only be interpreted as appreciation.

The air is a bit stuffy, but otherwise breathable. The geiger counters have suggested this far into the ruin the radiation exposure is almost negligible.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#200 Post by ffilz »

Ramona wrote:Ana looks at the new comers and nods, “Morning.”. She doesn’t sound unfriendly, more preoccupied with the room and her own personal dislike of being underground.

Squee,” she says to the dolphin, “maybe you can open a sialohue with this fellow and see if he knows anything.

Ana starts looking at the tapestries and the walls to see if anything seems off.

ie. the shape indicates another opening or maybe an observation area.
You want Squee to come down here to try and use telepathy to communicate with the Vargr?

Return to “Wine Dark Rift (Classic Traveller)”