[000] Getting started, some rumors

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

[000] Getting started, some rumors

#1 Post by ffilz »

To get things started, I've assumed you have all made your way to the small capital city of the starting oligarchy, Baglung. Some of you are locals, and some have traveled far to get here. I've taken the liberty of assigning a surname to Gigyansh. So here you are:

The caravan Hanarl and Wenig were travelling with on their way to Baglung was beset by bandits. The only thing that saved them was a group of miners fleeing the bandits to the city. The miners are staying with friends near the pilgrimage site of the birthplace of Topke Goparma.

Gigyansh Subramanian is distantly related to the ruling family, a cadet house. He is close to his cousin, Rishi who is brother of the head of the house. He has heard that a young upstart is trying to claim the ruling family power base. While running an errand for his father, Gigyansh saw some people from the young faction unloading weapons off a mule train into a stall in the Baglung Bazaar. He is pretty sure he wasn’t supposed to see the weapons.

Vicenç Santharam grew up in a family that farms rice for the Tiger’s Nest Monastery. Due to his intelligence and wisdom, the monastery took him in and trained him as a Medium. While there, he thought he saw a beak and feathers under the robes of an acolyte. Nearby is a cave that leads to an ancient dwarven citadel. Rumor has it that the citadel is filled with treasure, now guarded by horrendous monsters. In his exploration of Baglung, he has come across a clan of dwarf exiles, perhaps they know something of the citadel.

Kajal is friends with a beggar at the Kalika Bhagwati shrine. His friend has shown him where he can sleep. They have observed that several of the monks who tend the shrine are addicted to opium.

Prishneena has earned the trust of a wealthy man who donates for the upkeep of the shrine of Rojan Kirana. The man has hinted that the mad priest retreats periodically to an ice cave in a glacier high on Mt. Annapurna.

Samsura has been invited to stay at a cadet house of family Rastogi. Several members of the family suffer madness and rumor has it that the head of the household consorts with goblins from the nearby hills.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: [000] Getting started, some rumors

#2 Post by Pulpatoon »

Wening arranges accommodations near the pilgrimage site for her master, and makes sure he is comfortable and well-cared for after their escape from the bandits, and that his possessions are in good order. Then she asks his permission to go seek the local authorities and, in his name, report the bandit activity. "I am sure that banditry is common enough in these lands, but any worthy ruler, and even most unworthy ones, will want to know that a person of exalted status has been inconvenienced in such a way."

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by redwarrior »

Pulpatoon wrote:Wening arranges accommodations near the pilgrimage site for her master, and makes sure he is comfortable and well-cared for after their escape from the bandits, and that his possessions are in good order. Then she asks his permission to go seek the local authorities and, in his name, report the bandit activity. "I am sure that banditry is common enough in these lands, but any worthy ruler, and even most unworthy ones, will want to know that a person of exalted status has been inconvenienced in such a way."
Hanarl That sounds like the right thing to do. Please see to it.

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by Antman9 »

Vicenç Santharam: Human M Thief (HP: 1/1) (AC: 7 – Leather Armor)
Action/Status: Seeks fellow Adventurers.

Upon entering Baglung Vicenç searches out an average looking tavern, orders a bit of food and drink, and finds an inconspicuous but advantageous spot from which to listen to the rumblings and goings on. His intention is to scout out leads on fellow adventurers. Adventure is what he seeks, what drives him now.
DM - Dragons Belch: A New Beginning (Custom D&D)
DM - Ying Huo Chóng – The Way of Things (Cortex Plus - Firefly)

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by sulldawga »

Gigyansh Subramanian

Gigyansh hears a rumor that there is a cleric of Tantor newly arrived in town and seeks him out. He finds Hanarl at the birthplace of Topke Goparma.

Hanarl, please allow me to introduce myself. I am Gigyansh of the Subramanian house. I heard you had some difficulties with bandits on the road and am very pleased to see you suffered no lasting harm.

I hope to learn what your plans are now that you have arrived. The appearance of these bandits worries me greatly. Does mighty Tantor guide your hand toward... vengeance?

Edited to fix my timeline mistake
Last edited by sulldawga on Wed May 08, 2019 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by ffilz »

sulldawga wrote:Gigyansh Subramanian

Gigyansh seeks Hanarl out at the birthplace of Topke Goparma.

Hanarl, it is good to see you again. I did not know where you had gone, so I sought out the miners with whom you had traveled and was lucky to find you nearby!

Have I offended you? I had assumed you and your traveling companions would stay with me. You are certainly most welcome.

I also hoped to learn what your plans are now that you have arrived. The appearance of these bandits worries me greatly. Does mighty Tantor guide your hand toward... vengeance?
OOC: Just to clarify a bit... Hanarl had a letter of introduction to the Subramanian family (but Hanarl had not met Gigtansh prior to this visit to Baglung). The nature of such between noble families is that hospitality will be most graciously offered and accepted.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Pulpatoon »

Unaware that Gigyansh has already heard about Hanarl's trouble with bandits, Wening is away making enquiries about the appropriate venue for making her report.

Modric
Guide
Guide

#8 Post by Modric »

Samsura

Samsura, new to Baglung, makes his way to Kalika Bhagwati shrine, where he hopes to meet Kajal. While the hospitality of the Rastogi is honorable, their talk of goblins has worn thin.

Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#9 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Prishneena

Prishneena is out of place and unaccustomed to being in the city. She lurks on the edge of the crowded streets, suspiciously watchng the many passers-by going about their business. She has no coin or food or friends or place to stay there but, since she retook her freedom, she has got used to surviving on next to nothing. That said, she knows she must find some paying work soon. You can't live on scraps like she has been indefinitely. It takes a toll on you. Starvation would soon leave her too weak to prove herself and get work as a warrior. She wasn't about to let that happen.

She watches and waits and keeps her eye out for an opportunity. She sees Wening, the young dark-eyed slave girl from the caravan go past and follows her for a bit, wondering what she's up to. Prishneena feels a certain affinity for the girl, them having slavery in common and all. She'd even considered slitting Hanarl's throat in the night and setting Wening free but Wening didn't seem to particularly want her freedom, so she hadn't. If she was honest, Hanarl hadn't seemed all that bad either. It was curious.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Pulpatoon »

Should Wening notice Prishneena on the street, she will invite her to accompany her on her mission.

In Lamarakhi: "These are foreign streets, and it will be safer for us to walk together. Although, when I reach the local authority, I must ask you to step aside and let me represent my master alone." She leaves it unspoken that an obviously destitute, fierce-eyed Lamarakhi warrior in might not help Hanarl make a positive impression on the nobility.

"What brings you so far North? Do you travel alone?"

rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#11 Post by rossik »

Modric wrote:Samsura

Samsura, new to Baglung, makes his way to Kalika Bhagwati shrine, where he hopes to meet Kajal. While the hospitality of the Rastogi is honorable, their talk of goblins has worn thin.

"Welcome to Baglung, friend! What can i do for you?" asks the friendly fat man with a smile wider than his belly

Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#12 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Prishneena

ooc: I feel like Wening is quite perceptive, so yeah, let's say she notices Prishneena following.

Having been spotted, Prishneena brazens it out and makes like following someone to see what they're up to is a totally normal thing to be doing. She visibly loses some interest when Wening tells her where she's actually going but accepts the girl's invitation anyway. She figures, it might lead to something. So why not tag along and see. It's easily the best prospect she has right at that moment.

"I left the life I had before and came north to be free of it," she answers, slightly over-stressing the word 'free'. "And you?".

Modric
Guide
Guide

#13 Post by Modric »

rossik wrote:
Modric wrote:Samsura

"Welcome to Baglung, friend! What can i do for you?" asks the friendly fat man with a smile wider than his belly

"Too much talk of goblins at the cadet house. Is there any news here?"

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by ffilz »

Pulpatoon wrote:Unaware that Gigyansh has already heard about Hanarl's trouble with bandits, Wening is away making enquiries about the appropriate venue for making her report.
Wening in asking around hears that there has been quite some trouble with bandits. The oligarch, nobles and wealthy families have been recruiting warriors to seek out bandit camps and clean them out. Any noble or wealthy family would be able to sponsor bandit suppression expeditions and would welcome details on any bandit attacks suffered.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#15 Post by ffilz »

Antman9 wrote: Vicenç Santharam: Human M Thief (HP: 1/1) (AC: 7 – Leather Armor)

Upon entering Baglung Vicenç searches out an average looking tavern, orders a bit of food and drink, and finds an inconspicuous but advantageous spot from which to listen to the rumblings and goings on. His intention is to scout out leads on fellow adventurers. Adventure is what he seeks, what drives him now.
Vincenc hears plenty about bandit attacks and the nobles and wealthy families sponsoring expeditions to clean out bandit camps. He also hears a tale of a wizard, Devapi, who was taken prisoner by a band of Yak-men and held high in the mountains. Rumor has it Devapi may be the long lost son of dying arch mage Lohitaxa.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Pulpatoon »

Captain Kinkajou wrote:Prishneena "I left the life I had before and came north to be free of it," she answers, slightly over-stressing the word 'free'. "And you?".
Wening lets out the brief, quiet laugh of someone not used to emoting freely. "The life I had before left me. And my new life brought me here. Which is how the gods will it, I suppose."

As they walk, Wening talks to Prisheena of the many things she has learned to admire about Lamarakhi culture—their cuisine, their songs, their advancements in mathematics.
ffilz wrote:Wening in asking around hears that there has been quite some trouble with bandits. The oligarch, nobles and wealthy families have been recruiting warriors to seek out bandit camps and clean them out. Any noble or wealthy family would be able to sponsor bandit suppression expeditions and would welcome details on any bandit attacks suffered.
After Prisheena and Wening learn a bit more, Wening confides in her, "No matter what my master told his father, I think his real reason for heading north is simply a young man's thirst for adventure. Should we find him one? I say we go to the richest noble house we can find, and offer his services as a hunter of bandits. I am confident that this would please my master, and it might serve well to establish you in this area, as well."

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by sulldawga »

Gigyansh Subramanian

The cleric seems uninterested in conversation so Gigyansh decides to spend some time in the local taverns, seeking out sell-swords who may be able to help him learn more about the bandit problems he's uncovered.

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by Antman9 »

Vicenç Santharam: Human M Thief (HP: 1/1) (AC: 7 – Leather Armor)

Vicenç, having had a sufficient meal, and hearing of work to be had, approaches the tavern keep and inquires about the bandit raids, "I understand there is work to be had in the clearing of bandit scourge. I have an interest, and a bit of talent, and would very much like to inquire about this work. Can you point me in the direction of one of these sponsors I've heard rumor of?"

Vicenç will slide a silver piece across the bar if the barkeep looks like he might need persuaded. He will also keep the wizard Devapi in his pocket for when he finds a worthy group of adventurers to accompany him on such a quest.

OOC: How much did the meal and drink cost? So I can update my inventory
DM - Dragons Belch: A New Beginning (Custom D&D)
DM - Ying Huo Chóng – The Way of Things (Cortex Plus - Firefly)

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by ffilz »

sulldawga wrote:Gigyansh Subramanian

The cleric seems uninterested in conversation so Gigyansh decides to spend some time in the local taverns, seeking out sell-swords who may be able to help him learn more about the bandit problems he's uncovered.
Gigyansh wanders into a tavern and overhears his acquaintance Vincenc's conversation about going after the bandits.

Note that Gigyansh comes from a wealthy family that would probably sponsor bandit suppression activity. He knows he could speak to his uncle about it.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by ffilz »

Antman9 wrote: Vicenç Santharam: Human M Thief (HP: 1/1) (AC: 7 – Leather Armor)

Vicenç, having had a sufficient meal, and hearing of work to be had, approaches the tavern keep and inquires about the bandit raids, "I understand there is work to be had in the clearing of bandit scourge. I have an interest, and a bit of talent, and would very much like to inquire about this work. Can you point me in the direction of one of these sponsors I've heard rumor of?"

Vicenç will slide a silver piece across the bar if the barkeep looks like he might need persuaded. He will also keep the wizard Devapi in his pocket for when he finds a worthy group of adventurers to accompany him on such a quest.

OOC: How much did the meal and drink cost? So I can update my inventory
5 sp for the meal and drink. See the reply to sulildawga for the progression of the conversation about bandit suppression activity.

Return to “Frank's Yoon Suin (OD&D|BX)”