OOC I

DM: Dave
Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

Re: OOC I

#61 Post by Faanku »

As have I. Looks like Alessa panicked somewhat.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by Rex »

Its because she tried thinking when she should have been acting. Her first lesson. :D

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#63 Post by dmw71 »

Rex wrote:Its because she tried thinking when she should have been acting. Her first lesson. :D
:lol:
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#64 Post by Faanku »

Rex wrote:Its because she tried thinking when she should have been acting. Her first lesson. :D
Ice cold.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Rukellian »

Wow, I guess I am starting from the ground up here again. I forgot one of the combat basics, rolling for initiative! :lol:

I made sure to update my one post accordingly.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#66 Post by dmw71 »

Another more general announcement. Apologies in advance for the many tangents which are sure to litter the below, as I can already tell my train of thought is ready to get derailed, repeatedly.

So, my paid subscription with Roll20 expired a couple months ago, and while I did pay to extend it for one month, but I'm not planning on extending it again. I still take issue with many of Nolan's decisions (Roll20 co-founder).

Fantasy Grounds, a competing VTT, announced (on April Fools' Day) that they're finally launching their much anticipated a Kickstarter for their Unity upgrade in a month, or May 1st, or this Wednesday. Now, I'm not a gamer, and don't really understand what Unity is (other than a gaming engine), but it's supposedly a big deal.

Apparently I purchased a standard license for Fantasy Ground back in February of 2016 but never used it as it is kind of a pain to get to work online (where as Roll20 only exists online), and settled on Roll20 instead. Plus, Fantasy Ground does not support dynamic lighting, which is one of the biggest features I look for. Well, dynamic lighting (or line of sight) is being introduced with their new release (and the demo of it I saw looks better than how Roll20 manages it; I like how the full obstacle (e.g. bolder) that ultimately will obstruct vision is in view, instead of the object itself being obstructed as well).

Anyway, I installed Fantasy Grounds over the weekend, and while it pushes the limitations of my now oldish laptop, I did get it to work; not the online part, but the actual application. (Sadly, I have a nagging fear that my laptop won't be able to handle their cool new upgrade... but we'll see.)

Regardless, after a lot of prominent 5e content makers jumped ship and left Roll20 for Fantasy Grounds, they've created YouTube videos about working with Fantasy Grounds and... man, after watching and following along with one of them... holy crap! Fantasy Grounds almost certainly has a steeper learning curve than does Roll20, but it is actually really impressive in what it does. So much so it's almost making me re-think my D&D Beyond investment (which I love), but not quite.

It makes me sick when I stop and think about it, but I've invested over $600 into Roll20 since 2014 when I joined, but I'm ready to start all over with Fantasy Grounds.

Almost.

Aside from the standard license (which I purchased in 2016), I dipped my toes into the water by purchasing the Player's Handbook in Fantasy Grounds yesterday. It really does make character generation a breeze.

But that's the thing. I really need to sit down and assess my needs. Fantasy Grounds for actual gameplay will be great! But, I've played exactly ONE actual game online in the five years I've been a Roll20 member, so do I really need to commit to all the rules (which support gameplay), or just map tiles and tokens?

Either way, I'm pretty firmly convinced that I'm going to switch platforms. Gradually.

A couple other cool things about Fantasy Grounds: The amount of content available, and their prices. Fantasy Grounds pretty much has every sourcebook and adventure/module available, where as the Roll20 catalog is severely limited. I was looking, and they even have the 2e rulebooks built in and available for purchase which I think is outstanding! I almost certainly won't be investing into that ruleset financially (at least not right away), but Roll20 and even D&D Beyond aren't touching older editions. Plus, content on Fantasy Grounds is less expensive.
Books, modules, etc... on Roll20 are full price (e.g. MM = $49.95), where as they're cheaper on Fantasy Grounds (e.g. MM = $29.99). The individual token packs are even a buck cheaper on Fantasy Grounds than they are Roll20 ($4.99 vs $5.99).

I've only experimented with character creation (why, I'm not sure?) so far in Fantasy Grounds, and have zero clue how to make maps (which is pretty much the exclusive reason I even use VTTs), so don't expect an immediate transition.

But do expect one.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#67 Post by dmw71 »

Rukellian wrote:Wow, I guess I am starting from the ground up here again. I forgot one of the combat basics, rolling for initiative! :lol:
Well, if it makes you feel any better, I forgot to call for it.

The one thing that's different about 5e and previous editions (well, at least AD&D editions) is that you only roll initiative once, and remain in that order for the duration of the encounter.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#68 Post by Faanku »

Do you work for Fantasy Grounds, dmw? Because you're selling it very well.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#69 Post by dmw71 »

Faanku wrote:Do you work for Fantasy Grounds, dmw? Because you're selling it very well.
I wish. I barely know how to use it, but I'm really impressed with its capabilities from the limited exposure I do have of it..
-- Project --
-- DM --

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#70 Post by Faanku »

Sorry, I didn't realise you were waiting on my action; I was hoping to get some info about their weaknesses via a knowledge roll before I attacked.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#71 Post by dmw71 »

Faanku wrote:Sorry, I didn't realise you were waiting on my action; I was hoping to get some info about their weaknesses via a knowledge roll before I attacked.
I kind of interpreted your request as being a 'Search' action:
  • "When you take the Search action, you devote your attention to finding something. Depending on the nature of your search, the DM might have you make a Wisdom (Perception) check or an Intelligence (Investigation) check."

With a round being only 6 seconds, I figured it would maybe take that long to study them for useful details.

However, as the combat hadn't really begun yet, I probably should have let you slip that in before round 1 and called for a follow-up action.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#72 Post by Faanku »

No worries. In future I'll ask in PMs and just RP what Alessa may or may not know, because I intend to try and ID everything we encounter (within reason.)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#73 Post by dmw71 »

Faanku wrote:No worries. In future I'll ask in PMs and just RP what Alessa may or may not know, because I intend to try and ID everything we encounter (within reason.)
That's awesome! Now that I know it'll be easier for me to plan for it.

My only request is that you use the private forum and not private messages. We can abuse that private forum I set up for you with as much extra role playing as you'd like.

In fact, I was planning on posting something in there for you tonight. :)
-- Project --
-- DM --

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#74 Post by Faanku »

Aye, I meant the forums, not PMs.
dmw71 wrote:In fact, I was planning on posting something in there for you tonight. :)
Ominous!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#75 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote:Round 1
Before the elf (Feylynn) has a chance to react, her adversary lashes out with it's long, jagged claws, raking her left forearm; then lunges into her form, face first, clamping its jaws about her side, gnawing on her flesh. Only, she feels no pain.
dmw71 wrote:Round 2
The miremal's press their attacks against those in front of them. Feylynn, again, appearing to be lashed by a pair of long, jagged claws and a vicious bite -- but still not feeling any pain as a result of the attacks.
Bluetongue wrote:He tries to study the prone form of Feylynn as the imp continues to gash her, is she breathing? bleeding out? asleep?
Just to clarify:

Feylynn (and Thalian) appear to have been struck, multiple times, but do not appear to have suffered any negative effects. Something seems "off" on attacks made against the miremal's, but you appear to be having some success as the one was seemingly killed.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Rex »

I noticed, I think Luawn would react the way he did even so. I have a couple of ideas, but they are player ideas not character ideas.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by Rukellian »

I'm in the same boat as Rex. I'm trying to react to the situation as Thalian would. :)
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#78 Post by Faanku »

Thirded here, Alessa is rather caught in the moment.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#79 Post by dmw71 »

Turned out to be a very busy weekend, and I was barely online. Now it's Sunday night, and when I would normally be starting my updates, I'm about to start watching Game of Thrones.

Then, this upcoming week looks busy for me. Expect this, and all my other games, to maybe lag a bit... probably until Thursday.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Rukellian »

I understand how these things can be. Thank you for the heads up.

Return to “Tomb of the Hero's Light (5e)”