Utility Detail - Thoril, Sabyllos

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Utility Detail - Thoril, Sabyllos

#41 Post by ravenn4544 »

Thoril nods determinedly and grunts "Do it." While Sabyllos does whatever he's going to do, Thoril looks to see if the ladder would fit in this room (if he pulled it up instead of kicked it out if he gets the keys). He'll eye up chainmail that will fit him and a hefty battleaxe to wield if there is one...

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Pulpatoon »

Sabyllos: "Jimjar, avail yourself to such arms and armor as appeals to your greedy little heart."

He casts mage hand, and uses it to pull the keys from the webbing below, and send it to Thoril. He then holds his manacled wrists out, expectantly.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by drpete »

Sorry about the delay...

You cast mage hand, and send it down to recover the keys.

Though normally this would be pretty visible, as you are sending it down, you hear Topsy cry out from a distance, calling Turvy's name.

At the edges of your vision, you see Turvy break and run toward the barracks rope bridge. The guards below are distracted enough by the commotion that you are able to retrieve the key!

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Pulpatoon »

Grinning at the good luck, Sabyllos sends the keys to Thoril. "Unlock me! Then I'll unlock you."

As soon as everyone's hands are free, he starts rummaging through the goods, looking for studded leather armor that fits, and loading up on equipment—crossbow, bolts, a dagger or two, and, if he can find it, a hatchet or axe for chopping some of these rope-bridges spanning the chasms. If there is time, he quickly investigates the contents of the other bags of supplies.

At the same time, he tries to monitor what is going on down in the guard room below. Are they chasing after Topsy? Getting curious about what we're up to? Ignoring everything?

"It sounds like the others are making trouble. We should take out these guards, and then distribute some of this bounty!"

Is my baby spider with me, or back in the cell?

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by ravenn4544 »

Thoril quickly unlocks the manacles and waits for his turn. He's excited to be able to have a chance to escape imprisonment.

"Let's suit up and peek at what we have down here - not sure I can take on two by myself but maybe they'll be surprised. We can grab some more gear after and take it with us for the others..."

He looks quickly for a suit of chainmail that will fit and hopefully a battleaxe that will sit well in his grip.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by drpete »

Since everybody else is in combat speed, we'll go slow here, too...

Thoril and Sabyllos quickly remove their manacles with the keys.

You hear what sounds like a bunch of shouting on the rope bridge leading to the waterfall. The drow are shouting for some prisoners there to surrender.

Stuff is definitely happening outside, and you may have a very short amount of time. What things do you want to do first (remembering that armor takes a long time to put on...)

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Pulpatoon »

Is Jimjar with us? Is my baby spider? How are the guards below us responding to the noise?

By any chance do any of the the sacks of equipment look familiar? Does this repository contain the equipment taken off of him when he was captured?

Light armor takes one minute to put on, right?

Sabyllos elects to first don studded leather.

Second priority: collect weapons with which to arm the others in a sack or something.

If there are sounds of guards coming up the ladder, he will stop donning armor and fire down on them with Eldritch Blast.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by drpete »

Just the two of you slipped your captors and went up the ladder. Jimjar, Shuushar and Turvy are below, though it sounds like Turvy is distracting them (for the moment) and creating quite a fuss.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by drpete »

As you start suiting up, you hear a sharp rise in the excitement level below. It sounds like Topsy and Turvy have jumped off the bridge!

Below, Jimjar calls up to you to hurry up!

You also hear, faintly, the sound of a horrible buzzing, like the sound of thousands of awful bees approaching from a distance...

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Pulpatoon »

drpete wrote:Below, Jimjar calls up to you to hurry up!
Are the guards still below? Where is Jimjar calling from? If the room below is clear, Sabyllos will start kicking weapons down the ladder hole while finishing up buckling his armor, telling Jimjar t pass them out.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by ravenn4544 »

Thoril, finishing up donning his armor and weapon, will drop down and face the guards in the room during the distraction! He will let Sabyllos gather more weapons for the others while he clears a path.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by drpete »

You are still donning your armor, not finished... it takes 10 rounds, and things are operating more or less in combat time at the moment. Should anyone come up during your time donning the armor, I'll let you know.

Jimjar is below, and he looks free of guard interference. You can tell there are guards essentially right there, by the sound of it about a dozen now, but their attention is diverted at the moment.

Do you want to pause your getting dressed to send stuff down, or continue getting dressed?

The buzzing sound is getting louder. You hear an alarm horn ring out from the area near the Quaggoth den!

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by ravenn4544 »

I'd rather finish getting dressed and not send stuff down which would alert the guards.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Pulpatoon »

Hrm. I'm tempted to abandon armor and grab an axe to cut down the bridge leading to the quaggoth cave. We're in a lot a of trouble if they overrun us. On the other hand, if there's a dozen guards down there, I might never make it to the bridge. What do you think, raven?

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by ravenn4544 »

I'm tempted to abandon the armor and just grab a weapon and head down and see what we got. Seems surprise is on our side? Any spell to hold a dozen guards? :)

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Pulpatoon »

I got Mage Hand and Eldritch Blast, and Command memorized. It's a one-person one-shot spell, so not great against a crowd.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by drpete »

Soooo...? :)

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Pulpatoon »

Oh boy, I might really regret this.
Sabyllos hands the studded leather armor over to Thoril. "Hang onto this, and collect enough arms and armor to pass out, will you? I'd be terribly grateful."

He digs around for a hand axe or hatchet, not looking for a weapon, but a tool. Once he has something suitable, he mutters to himself, "Dispater hold and keep me for his service," before flying down the ladder.

The intention is to Dash-dash-dash to the bridge that connects the guard station to the cells and, from there, the Quaggoth cave, and chop it down. If his dash is interrupted, he will resort to Eldritch Blasting his way out.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by drpete »

Ok... there are bags and such in the armory.

The stuff in the armory:

Chain shirts
Studded Leather
Shields
Hand crossbows
Bolt cases
Shortswords
Daggers
Bags of caltrops
100 foot coils of rope
Building hammers
Bags of iron spikes

Let me know what, specifically, you want to take, then we can figure out the details of the dash :)

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Pulpatoon »

Dang it, not an axe or hatchet among them.

Okay, raven, how about this: We both grab swords, but ignore the armor for now. You go after the bridge with the sword, since you have the good Strength. I'll grab caltrops and a crossbow/bolts to give to Jimjar.

We leap down into the guardroom, and Jimjar and I try to distract and keep the guards at bay while you hack down the bridge. As you dash away, I'll throw the caltrops down behind you, to limit pursuit.

Return to “Out of the Abyss (5e)”