Quest #23 "Even The Jungle Wanted Them Dead"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Quest #23 "Even The Jungle Wanted Them Dead"

#2041 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I will keep a running tally of willing participants for Chaunceys obelisk search here as well before starting up a new thread.

So far the list looks like this...
Chauncey
Avaala
Luther
Wes
Bonnie?
Cealwyn?

If possible, I would like to avoid one player running 2 characters in the same mission again, so probably no Jax or Daisy.

Let me know if I missed anyone or if there are others interested in going along.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#2042 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

Jaxsen uses his speed and dexterity to follow the Kobold as far as he can. When there is absolutely no further sign of the creature, Jaxsen carefully notes his location, blazes a few of the trees and then heads back towards Luther. He continues to blaze a tree often enough to establish a trail.

"I'm sorry, Luther," he says when they re-meet. "He got away. But I didn't get the impression he was smart enough to lead me away from his group, so I cut markers to at least point us in the right direction. Once we establish the direction he fled in, we should find their lair in that direction. You're the tracker, though. Is that idea sound?"
"There is no spoon."

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#2043 Post by SirOwen »

Avaala it is then! Besides, with the events unfolding for Jaxsen, it looks like hunting down some Kobolds may be occupying more of his time than I initially considered. (Now I just wonder if anyone else wants to ride that bronco as well?)
"There is no spoon."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#2044 Post by Urson »

Luther
Good thinking, Jax. But don't ever underestimate a creature's instincts. There's a bird back home called a killdeer. The mother bird will fake a broken wing to lure predators away from her chicks.
I'd like to think that the kobolds will leave the hives alone,
now that they know we're watching for them. But I doubt we'll be that lucky. Do you think we can hire someone to stand guard?
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#2045 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

"Actually, Luther," Jax says. "I think I'm going to follow this up myself. If I can get closer to their lair each time, eventually I will find it." He thinks about it for a moment and then continues, "Not that I plan on attacking them by myself. But once I know where they are, I can bring others to help clear them out." Looking around near where Luther set up his snares, he adds, "I would appreciate it if you could show me how to set those again. Even if I don't catch anything, they might be an excellent distraction."
"There is no spoon."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#2046 Post by Urson »

Luther
I hope you don't feel like I'm leaving you in the lurch.
I have another task I need to start. Just remember to gather more people than you think you'll need. Little creatures tend to get vicious when they're cornered.

Luther will take all the time necessary to make sure Jax knows how to handle the traps- including building more.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#2047 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bonnie

Bonnie goes looking for Jaxsen and eventually finds him over near the beehive. "Jaxsen. There you are. I've talked to Chauncey and he's insistent on heading out to find that obelisk. Since it's described to be in the area near the Dragon, I'm going to go with him. Two birds and all. Are you interested in a longer trip than previously intended?"

She looks around at the beehive and traps he's setting. "What animal are you trying to catch? Dogs?"

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#2048 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

LUTHER-
"No, indeed, Luther!" says Jax. "You have shown me the best way to deal with this, and taught me a new skill. I am actually quite grateful. I do not plan to go to war with these... Kobolds, is it? I just intend to find their lair. Then I will gather a swarm and we shall finish them off. Best of luck with your other mission. Keep your swarm close!"

BONNIE-
"As much as it pains me, my duties here will prevent me from meeting the Dragon this trip," Jaxsen says. "They are called 'Kobolds' and they are small humanoid raiders. They have started on the hives, but I believe if they are not stopped, they will start on the livestock next. The problem is, they are very quiet and able to swing through the high branches almost as well as the Phanaton. So I have my work cut out for me here."

So, do I get a "Mission Starter" XP bonus if it's just one character?
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#2049 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Absolutely! Just let me know when your ready and what you’d like to call your solo expedition and I will get a thread started for this mission. :D

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#2050 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bonnie

"No problem. I'm betting the Dragon will still be there later." She winks and looks at the traps Jaxsen is working on. "Kobolds, huh? Why are you using animal traps? Let me guess, you caught one, but it just reached down and freed itself?"

"If you want to trap humanoids, you need man-traps. Are you looking to capture, wound, or kill?"

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#2051 Post by SirOwen »

OGRE MAGE wrote:Absolutely! Just let me know when your ready and what you’d like to call your solo expedition and I will get a thread started for this mission. :D
Ready when you are, OM! How about "Into Kobold Country."
"There is no spoon."

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#2052 Post by SirOwen »

Monsieur Rose wrote:Bonnie

"No problem. I'm betting the Dragon will still be there later." She winks and looks at the traps Jaxsen is working on. "Kobolds, huh? Why are you using animal traps? Let me guess, you caught one, but it just reached down and freed itself?"

"If you want to trap humanoids, you need man-traps. Are you looking to capture, wound, or kill?"
Jaxsen Reiter

"Originally, we were looking to capture," says Jaxsen. "Now, I just want to distract and scare them off. I think this will still serve that purpose." After a moment, he adds,"Bonnie, you've traveled the island longer than I have. Do you know where there is a swamp?"
"There is no spoon."

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#2053 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bonnie

She ponders the question for a bit. "I haven't seen a swamp yet, but there are giant lizards on the west side of the island. They seem and smell like they would fit in at a swamp." She pauses, then voices her concerns.

"Swamps can be hazardous in normal circumstances. I'd bet that they are deadly on this island. You aren't thinking of going swamping by yourself?"

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#2054 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

"No... no." Jaxsen responds to the idea that he might be planning a solo trip into a swamp. "I'm from the mountains myself.... just something a friend told me."
"There is no spoon."

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#2055 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bonnie

"Good to hear. We should really get some exploration expeditions going sometime. Just scout around and flag areas of note." She nods to Jaxsen and starts to go.

"Enjoy your kobold hunt. Remember to come back alive."

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#2056 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

After Bonnie leaves, Jaxsen gets back to work. His plan is a bit different than before, however. He changes the traps around to become scarecrows. Whether or not they catch a leg or not, thin twine under the sand sets them up to all go off when any of them are triggered. If even one trap is set off, there will be snapping and popping sounds all over the place. His hope is that if the kobolds set them off, they will immediately run away.

Once those are in place, Jaxsen retrieves his halberd and moves once more into the jungle. He follows the blazes he marked earlier, until he returns to the point where he lost track of the captured Kobold earlier. He moves off the actual path and climbs into the foliage, hiding himself and waiting.
"There is no spoon."

Return to “Completed Missions”