Chapter 1: Prisoners of the Drow

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Chapter 1: Prisoners of the Drow

#41 Post by kalstone »

Raknar - Dwarf Ranger

Raknar looks at the other prisoners to see if anyone seems relieved that the drow is being accused of spying.

Perception: [1d20 + 4] = 3+4 = 7

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by drpete »

Ornthalas' words, whatever their original intention, seem to enrage the priestess.

She orders the Quaggoth “Bring me that one, as well!”

Two of the quaggoth move to grab the drow prisoner, and two move to grab Ornthalas... though Ornthalas is able to avoid the grasp of one of the Quaggoth, the other grabs him tightly, restraining him!

The powerful quaggoth drag the two elves to the front of the cave and force them to the ground.

To Ornthalas, Ilvara intones, in Elvish “You misunderstand your position here, surface dweller... you are on your way to Menzoberranzan, the City of Spiders. If you are docile enough, you may live out your life as a slave. If not...” She snaps her fingers, and the quaggoth haul Ornthalas to the cliff edge, and dangle him over... “... if not, you will be fit for nothing but spider food.” She pauses for a moment, considering, before dismissively indicating that the quaggoth should return Ornthalas to his cell.

You see no sign that she looked at, or thought about a spy during this. What was clear was that she was pissed about being disrespected, and seemed ready to toss Ornthalas off the cliff into the spiderweb below.

Rolls (trying out the dungeon grappling rules quickly...)
Vs Drow:
Quaggoth grapple: [1d20+5] = 11+5 = 16[1d20+5] = 8+5 = 13 dam [1d8+3] = 4+3 = 7
Quaggoth grapple: [1d20+5] = 12+5 = 17[1d20+5] = 10+5 = 15 dam [1d8+3] = 1+3 = 4
11 pts of control vs 14 max: Restrained

Vs Ornthalas:
Quaggoth grapple: [1d20+5] = 10+5 = 15[1d20+5] = 7+5 = 12 dam [1d8+3] = 7+3 = 10
Quaggoth grapple: [1d20+5] = 7+5 = 12[1d20+5] = 4+5 = 9 dam [1d8+3] = 3+3 = 6
10 pts of control vs 18 max: Restrained

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#43 Post by Scott308 »

Ornthalas Venlen

Well, that didn't go quite as I planned, although it could have been worse, the elf thought, communicating with those able to hear each other's thoughts.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#44 Post by kalstone »

Raknar - Dwarf Ranger

"Heh heh. I'll give ya credit. You've got guts."

"If we're going to get moved, that may be the time to try to break out."

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Pulpatoon »

Sabyllos' eyes have been glued to the keys ever since Shoor produced them, tracking where the drow keeps them, and how secure they are. He's making notes on how to mage hand them away at some point, memorizing as much as he can in case he has limited visibility later on.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Rex »

Brana

"That was close, I think we need to act soon."

Has Brana had time to switch a spell to command?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by drpete »

Brana, yup. You have had time to switch spells.

Sabyllos, both of the lieutenants clearly have key rings on their belts. This is different from the guards generally, where you've seen one guard in a group holding the keys in their hands. Why don't you give me an investigation check on that...

Note that mage hand can do various things, but I'm skeptical that it can "slight of hand" without the arcane trickster ability. That would include stealing it off of a guard without him noticing.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Pulpatoon »

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by drpete »

Sabyllos, you didn't notice anything else about the keys...

Ornthalas dealt with, Ilvara turns her wrath on the drow prisoner.

“Sarith! Shoor tells me that you approached Imbros to ask for his help. Congratulations. I am here. State your case.” Ilvara rolls her eyes at this, and looks over at Shoor, before looking back at Sarith, the drow prisoner.

Sarith bows down before her, conscious that he is being watched by the quaggoth and the prisoners, and says "Lady Mizzrim... mistress, please... I beg you. I throw myself on your mercy! I have done nothing. I am innocent. I would never betray you. Please, mistress! Give me a chance to..."

At this point, Ilvara rolls her eyes and her lieutenant, Shoor, smacks Sarith across the face, silencing him.

Ilvara speaks to him slowly, and deliberately. “Stop, Stop... Sarith. You have been found guilty. Of murder. Your sniveling will not save you from your fate, sacrifice to Llolth. Your death will be slow and painful... traitor.” She spits these last words at him, then idly whips him with what seems, at first, to be a cat-o-nine tails. The whips, however, seem to be tentacles, instead. The three tentacles slap Sarith and he winces in pain, before she waves her hand and the quaggoth toss him back into the cage. He crawls back into his spot, back bloody from the whips.

Shoor proceeds to lock the gate, and the drow and quaggoth jailers begin to disperse.

Rolls:
Rod [1d20+9] = 5+9 = 14[1d20+9] = 2+9 = 11[1d6] = 2
Rod [1d20+9] = 9+9 = 18[1d20+9] = 6+9 = 15[1d6] = 3
Rod [1d20+9] = 19+9 = 28[1d20+9] = 16+9 = 25[1d6] = 2
ST: [1d20] = 20

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by ravenn4544 »

Thoril watches the drow traitor get flayed by the tentacles.. and it slams home the memory of his dream the nights before... dark oily tentacles reaching out to --- caress him? How else to describe it? Where are the buzzing insects from that dream? Are they to appear next?

Scott308

#51 Post by Scott308 »

Ornthalas Venlen

Do we include the drow, now? He seems like he would have incentive to escape, although he may believe if he is able to turn us in he would be spared from his fate, the rogue thinks to the others.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Rex »

Brana

Thinking back "I don't trust him, but he may be useful. We just need to be careful in what we tell him."

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by Pulpatoon »

Sabyllos crouches down next to the Drow and says, "If you're to be punished for the crime, you might as well commit it." He then pops back to rejoin the others and let the dark elf stew.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by drpete »

The wheels in the drow prisoner's head are clearly spinning, but he doesn't seem ready to open up with you, at the moment.

In Dwarvish, Buppido, the Derro, mutters "Now'a that is a lady you don't'a mess with. Or the quaggoth. The junior guards. Not so tough. "

The quaggoth prisoner, in an effeminate voice says, in Elvish "Our captors have many of these large servants. To escape, we will need to deal with them, too."

You guys can continue to talk, but please each give me a wisdom save and a d3 roll.

While you are communing, you can effectively translate for each other, so the language thing isn't an issue...

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Rex »

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#56 Post by kalstone »

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by ravenn4544 »

Thoril asks "how many creatures do we need to get past do you think?"

Wis Check [1d20+1] = 4+1 = 5
[1d3] = 3

Scott308

#58 Post by Scott308 »

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Pulpatoon »

Sabyllos: "The Quaggoths are a real problem. Do you think there is anyway to destroy or block the walkway to their cave? That would render them inaccessible and neutralized, wouldn't it?"

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#60 Post by kalstone »

Raknar

”It may be we don’t hafta take out that walkway. It may do to just cut down that rope bridge ‘tween here and that first guard post. All them quaggoths would be stuck on this side.”

Return to “Out of the Abyss (5e)”