Quest #21 "Island Hopping"

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Quest #21 "Island Hopping"

#3461 Post by Quonundrum »

Yeah ... quite a bit of work planned for Andron. Assuming he gains a level in magic-user and identifies all ten magic items (not counting the puzzle box), he will need 5 days. Although technically, it's two hours each day to recover the constitution per cast.

1 day for spell research, but probably split into two days with Identifications.

At least 1 day to attempt Mending Sir Crestbrook's statue, depending on if it works and how many casts are required.

1 or more days to analyze the minotaur dais diagram, decipher the non-Common parts in the bundle of notes, and finish translating the fairy tale book for any information about the wizard.

I think we could weave in a trip to the native village amongst this. We'll need at least 1 day to rest, but assuming 2 days and gaining a M-U level, these are the actions Andron would do first:

Day 1: Identify the gloves and ring. Spell research.

Day 2: Identify the pink powder and water sprinkler. Spell research (if need more time) or study the diagram.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3462 Post by ravenn4544 »

I like the idea of getting an idea of what we gained from all that time invested. I like the idea also of trying to unweave what the hell the dais means and if it's connected to anything else on the island (I don't really read the other active quests if there is some connection to be made) - this seems like the opening to a larger more higher level quest maybe. The kobolds are a loose end it seems.. and the killer trees... and the CATS!!

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3463 Post by Jernau35 »

A summary would nice. Unless it completely contradicts what we think happened. Then I'll settle for "The big wizard did a magic thing :D "

A trip to the village sounds good. Or if SirOwen comes back, taking a trip with Jaxsen to the kobold lair he found.

If the kobolds are stealing stuff from the dwarves, they may have a way to get past the dwarves guards that might be nice to know about. (I doubt the dwarves are guarding their trash, but maybe the kobolds know a trail or something.)

And of course, there's my favorite method of finding adventures here: looking at the big map and saying "I wonder what is over there?" :?:
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3464 Post by Quonundrum »

Now that you mention it, I am curious about that small island to the east.

:D

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3465 Post by Quonundrum »

I'd really like to know about the amulet. Best I can figure is that it's some kind of amulet of life saving that Melania found before arriving on the island. Her soul was saved in it when she was killed, but it seems to gradually transform the wearer (Cora) into the same form (medusa). The mind is also likewise slowly changed to that of the trapped soul until eventually it's completely replaced.

Oh, and speaking of Cora, did we actually manage to avenge her such that Cresty would regain his detect evil ability?

kruk
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#3466 Post by kruk »

Lerrick would like to know more about the Cora's mace and it's magical property. Knowing that the rightful owner should be a follower of Athena she will attempt to find one on the Island and give it to the person. However, if she can't find a follower right away she hold onto it until she can. There is also the vial of strange pink powder and the finger indented little decorated box with clear liquid in it.. Finally, the protection egg containing the six vials of liquid. Not so sure about its purpose since it was found in the same location as the other strange treasures including the chime of devouring. I don't know if this items were part of Andron's list to identify. :)

Lerrick would love to continue to adventure with this group. If there is a need however for a soon to be 4th level cleric for a side expedition she would be more than willing to be a part of it. One group can never have enough clerics can they.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3467 Post by Quonundrum »

The mace and powder are included in the identification list, along with the egg, assuming all six potions would be included as one. If not, might be better to taste test them first or at least check if they're all the same type.

The tiny decorated box was used to store the contact lenses Melania gave to Marquees. Those gave him a petrification gaze. Brutus subsequently sucked the eyeballs from Marquees's decapitated head, so ... yeah, they're probably ruined now.

Andron learned this from a deciphered note:

Marquees

My love, I know you don't like wearing the contacts, but their use will be quintessential in making our eventual escape from this place. The wizard doesn't know about them, so it is imperative that we keep them secret for now. Please continue to wear them when you can, since they have no affect on us or our young. You must try to get accustomed to them so they can be used to their utmost effectiveness against our foes once the time comes.

It is important that you keep them wet when you are not wearing them. The case is filled with a salty solution of mannish extract and fairy tears, which should keep them crystal clear and usable forever, so take caution not to spill any of it. Since they will allow both you and I to turn our enemies to stone, I cant wait for you to put them to use.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3468 Post by Jernau35 »

There's also the sea monster lurking up the beach, on the water gatherers' trail. That does need to be dealt with and should be a short adventure, since it's really just about defeating it.

The "Snares & Pits" (?) group is returning soon too. They might add extra firepower if we need it against the sea monster.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3469 Post by Rex »

The sea monster and village are both trips that would interest Tlachtga.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3470 Post by wolfpack »

Gramble has a stone and will carry the sprinkler until it is ID'd.

I would like to keep the fellowship together, I think we have done well together so far

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#3471 Post by OGRE MAGE »

It is currently midday on the 21st for this group, so you will have the afternoon and evening to start some of this stuff. (and more time in the tavern for the fighters) :lol:

It is extremely likely that you all leveled, and in both classes where applicable. Some of you might have actually gained more XP than you needed to level. (I will explain that situation when we get to it)

Q has the gist of the contacts down. The tiny sealed box with the liquid inside was a contact case, the contacts fit into the little depressions for storage when not in use. These were a gift from Melania to Marquees, so they could be more alike and more dangerous, I guess. Once Marquees lost his lifetime mate at the hands of the wizard, he started to slowly slip into insanity, often forgetting that he even had them in. That's how Cresty was turned to stone, since the Maedar don't possess that ability normally. It is also true that Brutus ate the squishy parts of the severed head of his enemy, so the powerful contacts themselves are now presumably lost.

I will keep pecking away at these questions as I get time in between reading back through 175 pages of posts.
:roll: :lol:

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3472 Post by Rex »

1,501 gets Tlachtga to second level
3,501 will get her to third
I suspect she is the one or one of them anyways that you will need to explain.

kruk
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#3473 Post by kruk »

Quonundrum wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:31 am
The mace and powder are included in the identification list, along with the egg, assuming all six potions would be included as one. If not, might be better to taste test them first or at least check if they're all the same type
Very good. Lerrick can ask around the Island if there are any followers of Athena. Other than that the cleric can enjoy some rest and relaxation and a the fine...tasty...grog at the treehouse.

and special thanks to Andron for taking the time to identify these items. Let me know the cost when the time comes. :)
Last edited by kruk on Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3474 Post by ravenn4544 »

How many days has it been since the Troll ate Devlin? Is that the seamonster folks were referring to when we were on the boat back to the town?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#3475 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Quonundrum wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:42 am
I'd really like to know about the amulet. Best I can figure is that it's some kind of amulet of life saving that Melania found before arriving on the island. Her soul was saved in it when she was killed, but it seems to gradually transform the wearer (Cora) into the same form (medusa). The mind is also likewise slowly changed to that of the trapped soul until eventually it's completely replaced.

Oh, and speaking of Cora, did we actually manage to avenge her such that Cresty would regain his detect evil ability?
Of course the first thing you would ask about is the destroyed amulet. :lol:

I will preface this by saying again that you guys unintentionally unearthed at least 3 separate encounters that each happened nearly simultaneously one after the other, causing a lot of confusion between what was relevant and what was just filler. There was a lot of fishing for answers in an empty pond from that point on, but I couldn't really express that dilemma while some of the other things were still actively in play. So.....

This isn't something you would necessarily know, or ever need to know, but the amulet had nothing to do with Melania at all. That was all Cora, who herself still hadn't sorted through all the many aspects inside the caves. It was obviously cursed, and since destroyed, so I would rather not answer a long string of questions about things that are no longer in play.

As far as Cresty is concerned, the results of the mending spell should shed a little light, whenever you are able to get around to that process.

The mace is clearly designed to be used by a follower of Athena, but since there are none of them around on the island to my knowledge, in the hands of a non-follower, it acts as a +1 weapon, and nothing more.

The pink powder has yet to be identified, but Kruk seems to have a grasp on what that might be used for, so I will leave it at that.

The six potions would all need to be identified separately, not as a package deal, but taste tests can sometimes be effective. (and sometimes be deadly) :lol:

Lots of great ideas for quick missions so far, but lets not forget about the big picture in all of this mess. You all remember the big picture, right? :lol: (hint: its a circle)

I think the troll encounter was over a month or so ago already, so this new threat must be something different. Characters are always welcome to ask around about such things IC if they like. :D

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3476 Post by ravenn4544 »

The big picture is a circle? I feel like Alordan is trying to fit a square into it :)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#3477 Post by OGRE MAGE »

:lol:

Good thing we have Andron to lean on then. :D

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3478 Post by Quonundrum »

Here's a hint about the circular bigger picture.

And that was such a cop out with the amulet. :P :D

Cora just happens to find in the altar a silver snake amulet which makes her worship a serpent god, has a bunch of pet snakes and right next door used to live a medusa ...

I'm sticking with Andron's theory. 8-)

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3479 Post by Quonundrum »

This is OOC but should be common knowledge in the town by now. There's a new sea monster that attacked a group on the beach about where the sea troll was killed. Large, many tentacles, many teeth. What probably wouldn't be common knowledge is that a few others have also located the creature's underwater lair off shore.

Concerning the bigger picture, our group knows about the obelisks, but not where they are (aside from the cryptic map etched on the bracelet) or how to use the magic orb to activate them. They did find that old hymnal to Pelor and there is a ruined temple in the jungle. The two might be linked? ;)

Andron also won't charge anything for identifying the items. He'll just need 100GP worth of pearls for each cast, and we happen to have found a string of 21 pearls of unknown value. :D

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3480 Post by Jernau35 »

Maag has the necklace of 21 pearls. He has no problem handing over the 17 pearl necklace to Andron if he needs to use those 13 pearls to identify anything. After all, those 9 pearls belong to everyone. :D

Return to “Completed Missions”