Planet New Albion

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Planet New Albion

#1 Post by Ahlmzhad »

As much as the shiny new space port above represents everything great in the galaxy, New Albion represents the dirty underbelly of it all.

The stinking mists coming in off the disease ridden swamps adds to the noxious fumes from the factories and processing plants of the few patches of solid ground to be found here. Centrex City is typical, although it is swamp locked, while most are ports on the violent oceans that cover most of the planets surface.

It's the dry season so you only get about 20 cm of rain a day. Unlike the monsoon season when it just rains continually.

The workers live in rows of identical apartment buildings all of the same drab concrete build with each flat exactly the same. The few managers live in lavish apartments on the tops of the mighty sky towers for their respective corporation. The streets are swarming with the waste and detritus of the civilization that lives out there in the stars, but draws its lifeblood from this and countless other planets.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Planet New Albion

#2 Post by Spearmint »

D'Arcy

Turning up the collar of his trenchcoat against the incessant rain, he exits the covered 'auto cab', refraining to stop and buy from the endless gazebo stands of Albion 'specialities' that straddled the pavements. Fried shrimp, honey glazed shrimp, baked with sea cucumber and rice pattie shrimp...

At least the rain kept the mosquito swarms away if not the rats and urchins of 'Cajunville'. D'Arcy entered the plaza, one of the Artisan Quarters fancy stone and glass shabby edifices and dashing across the marbled tiles, into the reception office of the import and export mercantile. Skins of leviathan gators hung placidly on the walls while a grizzly furred head leered from high above the desks. D'Arcy was never quite sure when dealing with these shady characters if they reserved spaces for an extra flayed human skin or two.

Patiently, he waited to be acknowledged.

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#3 Post by Ahlmzhad »

The full shaggy head of hair coupled with more beard than most ball teams could muster turns and reveals a friendly pair of eyes and a toothy grin.

"How may we help you sir?"

No sooner than the words were out of his mouth than your comm lets out a single beep letting you know a message has just been received.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Spearmint »

D'Arcy

"Your 'estate' manager might be expecting me. D'Arcy, Mister D'Arcy. We had some business to attend to. Excuse me for a moment."

He turns from the desk while he is attended to and looks around, having a subtle recon of the reception, noting CCTV and alarms, exits and doors. He checks his comm for the Incoming.

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#5 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Spearmint wrote:D'Arcy

"Your 'estate' manager might be expecting me. D'Arcy, Mister D'Arcy. We had some business to attend to. Excuse me for a moment."

He turns from the desk while he is attended to and looks around, having a subtle recon of the reception, noting CCTV and alarms, exits and doors. He checks his comm for the Incoming.
Glancing at your message it's brief and coded, as are all messages from Goldie, asking for a meet tonight (let's assume you have code and secure ways of communicating).

As you glance back up that toothy mouth surrounded by a mass of beard says "Ah, yes Mister D'Arcy, he is expecting you", and he leads you into the inner office.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Spearmint »

D'Arcy follows the ursute clerk into the room. He hopes his report will be taken well.

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#7 Post by Ahlmzhad »

The balding man, Brant Groff, with old fashioned eye glasses (odd because most people just opt for the surgery), which he removes as his eyes move from the computer screen in front of him to the familiar face of D'Arcy. Leaning back in his chair he indicates the pair opposite him. He reaches down, you hear a drawer roll out, and the sound of glass on metal. He produces a bottle of one of the better local whiskey's, and tops off his qana mug, and offers you a glass. "So, is it good news?"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Spearmint »

D'Arcy

"I met the bio-life scientist as expected, though his own experiments have been brought to a somewhat, abrupt conclusion. However he was persuaded to share his scholarly dissertations, I have these here along with some design blueprints".

D'Arcy pulls out a bullet from under his belt and bites through the end, tapping the shell on the desk until a small data fragment comes out which he hands over.

"Albion it seems generates more than 167 teragrams of methane into the atmosphere each month from these wetlands. Caused by acetoclastic methanogenesis, , microorganisms of ..... a certain bacteria, classification 'domain archaea', produce methane by fermenting acetate and H2-CO2 into methane and carbon dioxide."He scribbles down a formula, H3C-COOH → CH4 + CO2

"The 'corporation' want to sow diverse types of genetically modified Aerenchyma as the roots and plant shafts causes the diffusion, the seepage of gases, to take place much quicker. Hence the desire to tap into these natural resources. The plans here show the huge demand for solar panels to cover the marshes from which the gas will be harvested. Talk about 'greenhouse gases'. How much is 2,000 million tons of methane worth? So you can get a finger in the pie and I get a fingernail."

D'Arcy leans back in his chair, swilling down a poured glass. He scribbles the formula out again but this time adds =$$$! on the end and stretches to pour another glass for himself and the manager.

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#9 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Spearmint wrote:D'Arcy

"I met the bio-life scientist as expected, though his own experiments have been brought to a somewhat, abrupt conclusion. However he was persuaded to share his scholarly dissertations, I have these here along with some design blueprints".

D'Arcy pulls out a bullet from under his belt and bites through the end, tapping the shell on the desk until a small data fragment comes out which he hands over.

"Albion it seems generates more than 167 teragrams of methane into the atmosphere each month from these wetlands. Caused by acetoclastic methanogenesis, , microorganisms of ..... a certain bacteria, classification 'domain archaea', produce methane by fermenting acetate and H2-CO2 into methane and carbon dioxide."He scribbles down a formula, H3C-COOH → CH4 + CO2

"The 'corporation' want to sow diverse types of genetically modified Aerenchyma as the roots and plant shafts causes the diffusion, the seepage of gases, to take place much quicker. Hence the desire to tap into these natural resources. The plans here show the huge demand for solar panels to cover the marshes from which the gas will be harvested. Talk about 'greenhouse gases'. How much is 2,000 million tons of methane worth? So you can get a finger in the pie and I get a fingernail."

D'Arcy leans back in his chair, swilling down a poured glass. He scribbles the formula out again but this time adds =$$$! on the end and stretches to pour another glass for himself and the manager.
"Well, that's the kind of news I like to get. Who would've thought we could make money off of these damnable swamps. So where do I get my finger in? How much, and how much is your fingernail going to cost me?" He says with a smile that lets you know he likes this, although you know that How Much is always a bit tricky with Brant.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Spearmint »

D'Arcy

"Well Brant, perhaps first we need to establish if the GM Aerenchyma seeds are classified as an 'illegal biochemical'. Some of these government agencies ban certain goods as hazardous or dangerous to the natural environment and it doesn't normally grow here. Have they got a hydroponic lab growing it and can we source some elsewhere?"

He finishes the second glass but refuses a third refill.

"Solar panes and gear to build refineries could be imported from elsewhere. Maybe we are missing a trick though. Most of the land is divided up to feudal lords who don't give a rats' arse about the swamps and marshland. Perhaps you should muscle in and buy some derelict land or access title deeds and then build your own extraction factory or refinery right under their corporation noses. Do you know any diplomatic types into carpet-bagging?"

Having not given further plans too much thought, D'Arcy suggests some opportunities for research ... time and expenses covered of course.

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#11 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Goldie

The small led candle on the table of the small bistro table glints off of Goldie's new teeth with a strangely appropriate glow. He welcome's you and offers you poor from his bottle (a savage local liquor that you've long since grown used to). "Good news my old friend. I come bearing tidings of a most glorious exit from these humble shores". He pauses and watches your expression, then he resumes "I've had the fortunate opportunity to assist in the hiring of a broker, for a most promising venture, and you came to mind". He let's his words sink in, then pours himself a few more fingers, and then says "are you interested"?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Spearmint »

D'Arcy

Takes a glass of the chickory distilled whiskey. Hoarse on the throat but also mellow, with a smoothness of honey. He looked at the rack of roasted boar ribs on the buffet table and could see remnants of such bush meat still between the glinting teeth. He refrained from pointing it out, instead he leaned into the chair to make himself comfortable.

"So another swamp rat wants to cut and run? Glorious exit for an inglorious bastard. So many folk are looking for investment in these shores. Just come from one of the mercs', (Groffs' mercantile) new opportunities opening all the time for research and development. Have a finger in their pie but I suspect you would like a bit more of me than that. I'm intrigued of course as to your promotions and ambitions. What do you have in mind?"

D'Arcy is usually dubious as to the legality of any enterprise of Goldie. Still, he was a faithful contact who wouldn't stitch him up ... well not deliberately anyway. And he had actually sold his own grandma once upon a time. Sometimes though, D'Arcys' pockets talked him into accepting stuff, assignments, little 'jobs on the side', that he otherwise wouldn't be involved with. Presently, being one cheque away from agency bailiffs moving in on the flat and even further credits away from graduating into a pilot seat of his own, D'Arcy leaned back further in the chair and cocked his retro trilby. He was all ears.

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#13 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Goldie leans in, twirling his glass. "Big company is looking to hire people for a new trading house on some remote planet. Not sure where or why, but they're doing it all hush hush, so much so that they're working back channels for hiring. They need someone to be a local fixer/intel guy. If you're interested I'll be happy to get you on the list. You could stand to be out of here.
If you're interested just say the word?
". Then he sits back and smiles, before draining his glass.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Spearmint »

D'Arcy tips his trilby peak so it shadows his face even more. Actually, leaving Centrix for a while might be prudent. Went a bit overboard convinving the biologist to disclose the research he was conducting and dogged enforcement agents what they are ...

"Just how remote is remote?" D'Arcy flinched just remembering the thawing out from the Fleet cryogenic tank. Middle passage or no passage was his travel mantra.

"Back channels sound a little loose and 'fly by night' if you ask me. Suppose you ain't asking me though. Less regulation, less taxation, less questions asked, less questions answered too mind." Debating too many unknown pro's and con's was a futile action. With little else planned and a chance to 'Enlist and See the Worlds' as the navy had put it those four terms ago.

"Okay, I'm in. Put me on the list."

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#15 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Goldie's expression shows his pleasure at your decision. "Well, I wasn't given specifics, but I was told remote doesn't mean primitive. I'll let my contact know you're interested, and we'll take it from there." He then moves into small talk, about past jobs. He'll be ready to talk for a bit, but will need to leave at some point before it is too late.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Spearmint »

D'Arcy knows better than to hang around too much. Questions about 'others on the team' and how much vested interest that 'Three Monkeys', the Illuminati, the 'Family' or any other such big corporation have in the business affair could wait.

Remote could mean less settled government, perhaps turf wars or keeping the next 'Klondike' ore discovery underwraps. He could feel the shotgun butt under his jacket. It could stay there too, until more was revealed.

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#17 Post by Ahlmzhad »

At 11:17am you get a message from Goldie saying they want to meet. A Julianne Agonte will contact you today via email.

At 11:55am you get an email from Julianne Agonte of Vloxmar Corp:

Dear Mr D'Arcy [it's unclear if that is your first or last name]

We at Vloxmar Corporation would like to talk to you about some exciting career opportunities with our field service. If you could please follow the link to set an interview time we would like to discuss these matters further in person. Please submit a copy of your latest resume to me at this email address prior to your appointment.

Sincerely,

Julianne Agonte

The link gives you the choice of the following time slots

3:00pm today
9:00am tomorrow
11:00am tomorrow
1:30pm tomorrow
3:30pm tomorrow
5:00pm tomorrow

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Spearmint »

D'Arcy first name, naval Fleet manifests record under one name, LE career used various alias. A rank of Corporal was ordained on a 'D'Arcy Haddock'

He checks the e-mail and politely responds, sending a brief resume of time in naval academy and freelance research career. He selects the 1.30pm appointment based on going straight away might be perceived as a little desperate, first thing in the morning and last of the day never a good session. After lunch, well that appeared best.

In preparation for the interview, D'Arcy does some research. Not on Julianne Agonte, but on the other interviewee's who turn up in the morning.

Using local connections and a streetwise check, D'Arcy wants to recruit some urchin rogue who can stakeout the building and film who goes in and out. D'Arcy will spend his lunch, combing through data processing any background info he can collate from the computer. Who else is this Agonte dealing with?

Secondly, D'Arcy would like to inform local LE officers that 'something illegal' is taking place, (drugs being sold, some fugutive is inside), so that they bust the place around 5.00pm. That way he can note if this Agonte is ushered out the back by security into an unmarked car or everything is a above board.

In smart suit and cuban heels, D'Arcy arrives at the appointed time and place.

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#19 Post by Ahlmzhad »

When D'Arcy arrives at the location he realizes its a large office block, housing about 3-4,000 employees. It has multiple entrances, and traffic is moving briskly in and out all of them.

His initial contact with LE lets him know he'll have to provide details and evidence before any raid would be launched.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Spearmint »

D'Arcy

Is this the Vloxmar HQ? D'Arcy notes the uniformed lapels and jackets, watching with interest for security patrol patterns and sensors. Noting if heavy traffic, by that he means armoured or
with a turret, is berthed in a parking lot or helipad. No wonder 'Officer Dibble' washed his hands, he thought.

Entering the building through the main doors, Thousands of good citizens plying trade for basic wage while the fat cats cream of the top, pillaging resources and defrauding the Imperium,he thinks.

He strides to the reception making a mental note that he is D'Arcy Topcat, and he wants some cream.

"Hello", he purrs, "I'm here to meet with Julianne Agonte."

Return to “Space Rats Campaign (1st Ed Mongoose Traveller)”