EVENT: The Fall Festival

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: EVENT: The Fall Festival

#41 Post by Jernau35 »

Piers is initially content to watch the archery competition until he sees Billy's attempts with his sling. "Y'now, I might just give this a go myself," he remarks to any nearby young ladies who happen to be paying attention (and even a few who aren't). "I've felled a few goblins too, in my time. Not just dragons".

Piers submits his sling for inspection, and then awaits his turn to step up and shoot.

Sling Bullet (THACO 16): [1d20] = 19
Sling Bullet (THACO 16): [1d20] = 17
Sling Bullet (THACO 16): [1d20] = 8

Piers grunts and sighs after his last shot. He makes a show of testing the wind direction and shaking his head as he walks away. "Ahhh...a freak gust caught that last shot", he grumbles.

No bonuses for Dex or sling to apply. 6th level, with Spiritual Strength bonus.
Last edited by Jernau35 on Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Stirling »

Foxy O'Hare

A late entry into the archery competition, Foxy takes an 'uncareful' aim, firing a brace of arriws that fly wild of the targets and land thuddkng Into the grass much closer to the score caller. Her final arrow seems to twang viciously off her bow and goes cracking into the wooden frame holding the target up. Normally three 'duck eggs' 000,

"That's a bullseye for me, got the target right between the legs."

She turns without another word and returns to the jousting practice.

Foxy: Shortbow short range: [1d20+3] = 3+3 = 6 arrow damage: [1d6] = 4
Foxy: Shortbow normal range: [1d20+2] = 3+2 = 5 arrow damage: [1d6] = 4
Foxy: Shortbow long range: [1d20+1] = 11+1 = 12 arrow damage: [1d6] = 2

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Dirk Bronson continues to call out the scores as they are made for each contestant. When Brother Piers steps up he reminds the crowd about the prohibitions on clerics against using pointed weapons. I've never heard Sir Piers give a sermon, but it it is anything like his weapon choices, perhaps you would do well to avoid the Abbey on the Ford. Then the bullseye. Perhaps I've spoken too soon! I suppose even something dull can be on target. 4 points! Then again, Another 4 points! Baudh smiles upon you Sir. Dirk laughs as the third stone flies wide. If the poor soul with a rock in their skull steps forward, I am sure Sir Piers will offer to heal for them. If not, you can always visit the Fountain of Absolution.

Sir Piers totals 8 points!

When Lug approaches, Sir Branson reminds him that the bow in only on loan. Don't pull on that too hard with those muscles friend, else I fear it will snap! After Lug has hit the outer ring once, and the outer bailey twice, Dirk calls out 4 Points! Perhaps the Ranger requires a larger target? Would a dragon do? As the crowd's laughter dies down, Dirk is sure to remind everyone that Lug was in that party that killed the Dragon Scatha. Visit the new, domed building to see his handiwork - Scatha's skeleton, erected here at the White Tower!

I've PM'd Sterling, but Foxy needs 3 close range shots, not one of each range.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Baxtaw?
Stirling wants me to use his first round of shots, which I'll modify later today or tomorrow. But I need her THACO, please.

Also, there is still time to sign up for the other contests. :)

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Stirling »

Foxy (F5) thac0 16 I believe.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

PM sent to Dram. If he doesn't post in a day or so, we might call him a no show. ;)

Any more stories? More clerics? More melee entrees?

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Dram »

Baxtaw first shot- Not feeling the Luck this round.

Shot #1
L.Bow tohit[1d20] = 4, todam [1d6] = 4

Shot #2
L.Bow tohit[1d20] = 10, todam [1d6] = 1

Shot #3
L.Bow tohit[1d20] = 8, todam [1d6] = 3
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Shoot! I am realizing I've lost a few posts to this game. I had posted about Foxy, but it isn't here now.
Translates to 6, 6 and 14. 2 misses, one bullseye.
Dirk Branson smiles mischievously as Foxy O'Hare approaches the targets. Look out all, here comes the Flame of the North, though I don't doubt that there are a fair few men in the southlands that still hold a flame for this one! He looks visibly disappointed when she misses the target the first few times. We're not giving points for "warm up" shots, love.When her third shot hits the bullseye, he smiles. That a girl! Right in the heart, like Cupid's own arrow! But 4 points won't be enough today. But don't worry all, Miss Foxy O'Hare will have a chance to skewer her opponents in the joust. I hope you all make it. Watching her ride a horse is a sight to behold! Enough to make a man jealous!

When Baxtaw steps up to fire, Dirk remains silent as the crowd murmurs in disappointment. After the third shot there is a slight pause as he looks back at Bremen, as if to say, "Are you sure you want to trust your life with this guy?" Finally he clears his throat. 1 point for another of the slayers of Scatha. Very noble of Mr. Baxtaw to, errr, make sure someone else goes home with the prize money he has offered!

He quickly changes topics. After some consideration, because we have a Cleric in the tournament, it wouldn't be fair to move the targets to long range, or his shots will all fall short. So we'll make it one more round, only. Winner takes all. Unless there's a tie. Then there will be a shoot out. The baileys are moved to 100' out.

Round 2, Medium range for all bows, long range for a sling. So Piers is firing at -1
Lug - round 1, 4 points

Akaara (Amistad's vassal) - round 1, 8pts; round 2
Stantz (Bremen's vassal) - round 1, 12pts; round 2
Sir Piers - round 1, 8pts; round 2
Billy, the horse boy (peasant) - round 1, 6pts
Baxtaw - round 1, 1pt
Foxy - round 1, 4pts
Since it is mostly NPCs moving on to Round 2, and Piers cannot score at long range, and because I've let this drag out, I'll abbreviate the final rounds.

Also, I need Baxtaw's THAC0, please, so I know if he moves on to the final round.
Last edited by Rusty Tincanne on Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Spearmint »

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I have edited the previous post to include Baxtaw's scoring, and remind folks how the targeting works.

Dirk looks on with lust in his eyes as the lithe translator-archer takes her shots. One bullseye, and two on the outer edges. Seeing Foxy is out of sight, he remarks, 8 points! Lovely shots from a lovely woman! The curves on your... bow. So nice. Perhaps I can pull your string later?

Stantz steps up again, this time without a word, allowing his shooting to speak for him and the Kinghts of Baudhil. Dirk, doesn't let it go though. Sir Stantz, my brother in arms! You represent our order well! Three more bullseyes! andother 12 points! Huzzah!

Round 2, Long Bow (THAC0 15) - [1d20+1] = 16+1 = 17, [1d20+1] = 14+1 = 15, [1d20+1] = 13+1 = 14:shock: That roller is loving his bowmanship!

Sir Piers is last to go, then the clerical melee!

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Jernau35 »

Sir Piers steps up for the second round. He does a few arm stretching exercises, mostly for the benefit of watching young ladies. Then he lets fly.

Sling Bullet (THACO 16): [1d20] = 15

Sling Bullet (THACO 16): [1d20] = 11

Sling Bullet (THACO 16): [1d20] = 16

After his third shot Piers turns away, pleasantly surprised, but trying not to show it.

Piers is doing pretty well too :)
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Dram »

Baxtaw lines up for the second round. THAC0 15 Luck is not with me today. I have my Master Work Bow I usually use not this old one.

L.Bow tohitTHAC0 15[1d20] = 1, todam [1d6] = 4
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#53 Post by Bluetongue »

Somewhere on the festival field ...

"and now ladies and gentle folk, warriors and wizards alike, gather round and be amazed at my latest death defying, gobsmacking, eye popping amazing ..."

The intrepid hobbit strips off down to his briefs, "yes you madam, step forth don't be shy. Attach these gorilla strong cuffs over my wrists and behind my back ... and now Sir, place me in yonder sack and tie the top in your favourite shoe knot ....and yes, you pair of tower guards (muffled) pick me up and dunk me in yonder water filled barrel, placing lid securely on top. I shall escape with my last breath, to your amazement, cheers and appreciative coinage. Coinage madam not cleavage, but that may be appreciated too!"

Duly fitted for the act Fairfax takes a deep breath and chokes on the regurgitated keys to ensure he struggles pitifully. Kicking and banging in the sack and in the barrel he only succeeds in rolling it over and down some pathway, spueing water along the way. Coming to a crashing standstill, a limp sack wriggles out the barrel.

"Err .... Anyone? "

Sleight of hand % [1d100] = 73

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Stirling »

Tocen in between marshalling for Foxy and off duty, the Sgt-at-arms tries his best to recruit from the mercenary groups and adventurers gathered for a scouting trip west.

Charisma roll [2d6] = 11

It seems Foxy's besmirched reputation among the Baudh knights and the rumours of werewolves take precedence this side of the river. He will try again back in Gaul.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#55 Post by Bluetongue »

Fairfax

approaches the tent of Foxy O'Hare . He sees her man at arms on guard, recognising him from the tavern. 'The one with the hat full of sick'. Is this woman warrior the best person to follow? he wonders. Well the mage seemed keen, so with a flourish he introduces himself to the guard.

"Excuse me Sir. I heard your recruiting call and have been recommended by my mage friend Tanor that Miss Foxy needs brave hearts and quick wits and well, a man of my talents."

He waits for the guard Tocen to wave him in or wave him away.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Dram »

Baxtaw backs out of the bow competition. This old bow string has snapped Good luck to the rest of you. I must find a horse to purchase. As duty calls once again.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Stirling »

Tocen: Sgt-at-arms to Fochelle de Coulthard, looks at the young halfling with a wry smile. He notes the handcuffs are still on his wrists.

"Perhaps you need a little hand to help you cough up the keys?" he says and signals for the 'man of skills' to wait. He enters the tent and after a brief word, the curtains are drawn back and Foxy waves him enter.

"Foolish hearts and dimwits are needed too!"

She details her plans to scout across the westward hills, to trace the ruins of the Red Robes of Monoc and to secure the gap between blighted lands and the edge of the great forest. Her map deciphering points to some areas of interest. We might also touch base with the new dwarven Kingdom.

"The road is trapped and tricked by the designs of kobolds. A master locksmith is very useful to our group safety. People who follow me do so under no compulsion or command, we share risk and reward equally. And your friend, the young mage? You are both welcome to join. We leave from Gaul after the festival here concludes."

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#58 Post by Bluetongue »

Fairfax Socrates

"Sorry, I didn't introduce myself. I am Fairfax de Socrates, man of many talents and few coins. I spent five to get here but the festive crowd are less liberal than in the south. Maybe you are the investment I seek? I have asked the bard of your tales and he says many maidens get betrothed under your archway and children play with imaginary flaming arrows to remember your deeds. I can't make arrows burn but I can pick locks ... eventually ... and I can tell better stories than your guard."

He has a pony and cart which can travel cross country so won't burden your party. He looks around to see if Tanor followed him or not.

the 'de' added to his name just to make it sounds as noble.

Lobo89
Squire
Squire

#59 Post by Lobo89 »

Tanor

I'm in as well. I'll need to buy a horse in Gaul. Good that we are departing from there.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Marullus »

Marullus wrote:Rusty Tincanne asked me to let folks know he has a family emergency and will be offline for a brief hold until it resolves. He intends to return as soon as he can and remains excited to play/GM things. Please keep him and his family in your prayers and thoughts.

Return to “(IC) Settlement - The White Tower”