Out of Character Chatter

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Out of Character Chatter

#61 Post by Leitz »

Stressing over the main work and a secondary work task as the major presenter for a project pitch. No post until later today, assuming my brain hasn't totally fried. Stefano will support Kiki and reinforce the team.

Also, wasn't Stefano's chat with Antil at 2 PM, like Freds? Did we talk to clones or bots? :)

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#62 Post by atpollard »

I can just change Fred to 3PM.

It is not like the time we posted 40 posts all 4 hours off because I added 2 hours when I should have subtracted 2 hours for the time zones in MY game. :oops:
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by Spearmint »

Papageorgious-Michaelides

regarding gunsmith name, 'firearms Fred' is okay but ... you obviously didn't think of 'Wham' by George Michael? then?

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#64 Post by atpollard »

Spearmint wrote:
Papageorgious-Michaelides

regarding gunsmith name, 'firearms Fred' is okay but ... you obviously didn't think of 'Wham' by George Michael? then?
:D
I actually just picked FRED really early in the Character Concept ... before rolling attributes, even.
He was just an ordinary shopowner working in an ordinary shop who one day decides to sell the business and become an Interstellar Traveller!
Fred seemed a good name for an 'ordinary joe'.

The rolls in CharGen required some adjustments to the original plan ...

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by The Bindoner »

Sorry to have neglected to post - busy, and no notifications to remind me. My attention is back.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by Leitz »

Various notes on the posts; PbP is difficult to fully convey nuance and Stefano's player doesn't have the people skills Persuade-4 or Int-C provide.

Stefano is not bothered by D'Arcy's play, though he does seem to disdain it. His comment on shooting him vice Kiki was dead earnest; Kiki, due to her longer affiliation with Stefano, likely heard a very personal undertone.

The real OOC question is "what would make this team a good fit"? The characters are not ship-wrecked on a desert isle or whatever, everyone still has a choice to come or go. Stefano's choice of words like "team player", "on board", and "trusted agent" suggest the type of person he's looking for. How does D'Arcy fit that?

Note that it may already be clear to some, but Stefano's player recently quit drinking coffee as is even more dense than before. :ugeek:

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#67 Post by atpollard »

"Embracing Your Inner Mediocrity" has a chapter that points out that any effective leader must weigh a careful decision whether replacing the person in front of you is likely to result in someone even worse. The author argues that the key to happiness is not to strive to be the absolute best (unless you are a brain surgeon), but to be above the median, so replacing you will more likely result in someone even worse.

If you are the busiest person in the office and the hardest worker and always volunteer, then anytime additional work comes up ... you will get it, because you are so dependable.
The "Best" get to enjoy those 60 hour weeks for 10% more pay, while the "mediocre" earn 90% as much for a 40 hour week (and get to spend time with their family). The boss' nephew still get's the promotion, either way. :)

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Spearmint »

The role playing issue of team normally has everyone best buddies meeting in the tavern. Here we have a different scenario because though everyone can give 100% of their skills equally to a team, the equality of reward is less even.

I am happy to role play D'Arcy. His comment , "Who decides when someone is deserving to be shot?" is a genuine one and worthy of thought. He wanted to provoke Stefano with the question of 'would this level of betrayal lead to a sanctioned murder?" and deal with a dilemna posed to Nicolas Cage character in Windtalkers. How far would you go to keep the mission secure? For the marines, shooting one of their own.

In Stefano's quest to make trillions in corrupt deals, would his profit be shared equally or pro rata?

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by Leitz »

Great stuff, and one of the reasons OOC chatting helps. I would have missed a lot of the connotation that D'Arcy and Stefano easily pick up on.

Let me give it some thought; Stefano thinks much faster than I. :)

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Stirling »

Ultimately it becomes a challenge to DM Ahlmzhad, to create a campaign that brings out scenes and plots which each player character contibutes to equally using different skillsets and attributes. I don't think characters get more powerful increasing in hp much but skills may grow. And reward, usually credits or ship shares.

My character Tiberius is essentially a scout rather than marine grunt and his motivation is exploring frontier regions and eventually financing his ability to captain his own vessel.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by The Bindoner »

Sorry, I seem to have posted in the middle of an exchange. I am used to a forum that holds a reply if someone has posted while I was typing, so I assumed I was following on directly. I will try to keep the thread in a seperate tab and refresh before hitting submit in future.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by Leitz »

I'm rather enjoying it.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by Leitz »

Bindoner, sorry if I got confused. Should I remove my post until Kiki responds?

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by The Bindoner »

I'm rather enjoying it.
Ech, should repost? I saved the text...
Bindoner, sorry if I got confused. Should I remove my post until Kiki responds?
No. Leave things. THe confusion was mine - rushing to post while we cook/clean/eat is not ideal...

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by Leitz »

The Bindoner wrote:Ech, should repost? I saved the text...
Yes, please. I think it still fits, though Stefano has answered.
No. Leave things. THe confusion was mine - rushing to post while we cook/clean/eat is not ideal...
No worries. When things get crossed I usually include the last couple lines of someone else's post. Since it's getting near my nappy time I'm looking forward to seeing how things develop. Especially since Stefano talked about Kiki. :)

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Leitz »

Okay, that was funny.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by The Bindoner »

Glad it was taken in the spirit intended. :)

Going to stop editing and go to bed now.

dragoner
Scout
Scout

#78 Post by dragoner »

Don't mind if I join in at the table?

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#79 Post by atpollard »

Yeah, when should Fred arrive "in the morning"?
I'd love to make a "Fred" entrance to the room. :)

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Leitz »

I think the current room scene is a hiring conversation, not sure it's open. It is, however, waiting on me so I need to get to it.

I can see connection options for Dev and Fred, happy to write something up unless you want to. While only two connections grant skills we can have as many as we want.

Return to “Space Rats Campaign (1st Ed Mongoose Traveller)”