008 - Launch ride out to the ruins

ffilz
joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 008 - Launch ride out to the ruins

#21 Post by joertexas »

lenusmars wrote:Sara glances up to the cockpit.

"Ah well, it was worth a try." She looks at Ana. "Just remember that she's the one actually flying this boat.

Sara, makes her way up into the cockpit and takes the copilot chair, strapping in. "Hard to be a backseat driver if you make me sit in a front seat" She quips to Vee.
"Maybe so, but you have way more flight time than me, so now you're legally pilot in command." Vee grins at the redhead. "I really do want a second set of eyes on this approach. There's not much room for error."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

lenusmars
Guide
Guide

#22 Post by lenusmars »

"Legally? And here I thought I was joining a merry band of outlaws." Sara smirks as she queues up the approach sequence Vee has laid out.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by joertexas »

lenusmars wrote:"Legally? And here I thought I was joining a merry band of outlaws." Sara smirks as she queues up the approach sequence Vee has laid out.
"While I admit Foix's devil-may-care charm has it's effect, I do tend to follow the rules. Most of the time." Vee eyes the nav system display. "Speaking of rules, it seems that we're still talking on the air traffic net, for now. I don't know if they will just terminate services and turn us loose, or if they have planet-wide flight following."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#24 Post by ffilz »

You do a flyover. The radiation hazard in the valley is minimal. You could either land in that valley, or one valley over which would require a bit of a trek but it looks like there's a pass connecting the valleys that would allow you to travel without too much exposure. You wouldn't want to do that very many times, but once or twice would be ok.

You do detect a magnetic field emanating from the structure which accounts for the reduced radioactivity in the area. Using the scanning capabilities of the launch (limited, but more than the usual civilian launch would have - this is a Scout service launch) you determine the structure definitely has voids within. There also seems to be a shielded core deep in the structure.

Hey, just though of a question, did you want Squee along in her walker?
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by joertexas »

Vee keys the cabin PA system to her mike. "Okay, the valley where the structure is located seems to be safe to land in. There is a valley beyond that would be even safer, but you'd have to hike through a pass to reach the structure. According to the scans, the structure has interior voids, a shielded core, and a magnetic field that seems to be shielding the structure from radiation."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by shaidar »

Harper replies over the PA

"Sounds promising. If we think their is some kind of enemy force in the structure then if we land in the farther valley there might be less chance of them seeing us coming"

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by joertexas »

"Stand by one," Vee replies. She unkeys her mike and looks across the cockpit at Sara. "Sara, do you see anyone down there?"
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Tiglath »

Foix smiles “Lady Harper you were wasted in the Imperial Navy! I believe your plan gives us more tactical options and flexibility. As soon we have checked out the temple approaches and found a landing zone the launch can join us in the temple valley if all is well. So, we plan to only walk the pass one way but have a secure line of retreat if necessary”.

He immediately seeks Ana’s view “Ana, are we too cautious for a rescue mission?” He adds “For me the only thing that consistently makes people disappear is other people but if there is some environmental hazard in the temple valley then we are surely best not landing straight into it?”

He keys the intercom to the cockpit “Flight crew we are considering an approach on foot via the pass can you find us an optional LZ in the adjacent valley?”

Foix is keen for Squee to add her psionic skills to the "away team".
Player: Jonathan/Tiglath
Sigrun Volsung, 9B7886, Lt Commander, 3 terms, age 31
Gun Cbt 3 (Rifle 2, Pistol 1), Melee Cbt 1 (Axe), Pilot 1,
Gunnery 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1, Recon 1,
Electronics 0, Grav Vehicle 0
Enemy: Imperial Navy (Lunion) Ine Givar(?)

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by joertexas »

Tiglath wrote:He keys the intercom to the cockpit “Flight crew we are considering an approach on foot via the pass can you find us an optional LZ in the adjacent valley?”
"I believe we can, M'Lord. Turning that way now." Vee brings the launch around on a heading to observe the pass and its environs with the sensors as they overfly the area.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Tiglath »

joertexas wrote:"I believe we can, M'Lord. Turning that way now." Vee brings the launch around on a heading to observe the pass and its environs with the sensors as they overfly the area.
Foix laconically returns "Bien".

He then follows up with "If you can find an LZ in the other valley or better still in the pass itself set us down". He manages to break himself out of his military considerations to add "Somewhere out of sight of the temple please, my Knight. I propose that we conduct our recon on foot".

(OOC: I'm happy for us to get out and walk! :) )
Player: Jonathan/Tiglath
Sigrun Volsung, 9B7886, Lt Commander, 3 terms, age 31
Gun Cbt 3 (Rifle 2, Pistol 1), Melee Cbt 1 (Axe), Pilot 1,
Gunnery 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1, Recon 1,
Electronics 0, Grav Vehicle 0
Enemy: Imperial Navy (Lunion) Ine Givar(?)

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by joertexas »

Tiglath wrote:He then follows up with "If you can find an LZ in the other valley or better still in the pass itself set us down". He manages to break himself out of his military considerations to add "Somewhere out of sight of the temple please, my Knight. I propose that we conduct our recon on foot".
"We?" Vee sighs. "And here I thought I would be able to stay with the launch and prop up my feet while you ground pounders go be all heroic." She looks for a place to land as she speaks.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

lenusmars
Guide
Guide

#32 Post by lenusmars »

"Not a soul" Sara replies to Vee's inquiry.
joertexas wrote:
Tiglath wrote:He then follows up with "If you can find an LZ in the other valley or better still in the pass itself set us down". He manages to break himself out of his military considerations to add "Somewhere out of sight of the temple please, my Knight. I propose that we conduct our recon on foot".
"We?" Vee sighs. "And here I thought I would be able to stay with the launch and prop up my feet while you ground pounders go be all heroic." She looks for a place to land as she speaks.
"Don't look at me, I didn't even grow up in a gravity well." Sara laughs as she helps Vee prep to set down.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by joertexas »

lenusmars wrote:"Don't look at me, I didn't even grow up in a gravity well." Sara laughs as she helps Vee prep to set down.
"Me, either," Vee replies as she looks over the glare shield. "There. One o'clock at about three kilometers. What do you think?" She steers the launch into a descent, dropping down to clear the nearest terrain by three hundred meters. "Give me deck plates every time."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

lenusmars
Guide
Guide

#34 Post by lenusmars »

"Looks like it will do. I’ve hit less likely targets" Sara wiggles her eyebrows comically, but her hands smoothly and efficiently adjust secondary controls. "Okay, we’re set, you have the ball."

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by joertexas »

lenusmars wrote:"Looks like it will do. I’ve hit less likely targets" Sara wiggles her eyebrows comically, but her hands smoothly and efficiently adjust secondary controls. "Okay, we’re set, you have the ball."
Vee watches as the navigation icon in her HUD settles on the chosen landing site. "Okay, I've got the bug. Gear down, please." She maneuvers the launch onto final approach to the landing site, keeping a watchful eye on the terrain.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#36 Post by ffilz »

Started new thread for approach.

Is Grimaud aboard or back at the ship?

Do you want Squee to disembark yet?

Is Vee staying with the launch?
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Return to “Wine Dark Rift (Classic Traveller)”