Re: Character Creation

#21 Post by Endeavor »

Great!...was hoping so...

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#22 Post by Computer +1 »

I am thinking about going with a militant wizard. That cool?

Shonuff
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#23 Post by Shonuff »

Computer +1 wrote:I am thinking about going with a militant wizard. That cool?
Actually, they are well liked and there is a military academy within Gothmoor.

yes it's fine.

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#24 Post by Bhart »

A question on how you interpret alignment...Do you believe that a Thief could be Lawful Neutral?

Shonuff
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#25 Post by Shonuff »

Bhart wrote:A question on how you interpret alignment...Do you believe that a Thief could be Lawful Neutral?
*tries not to get into 40000 page alignment discussion*

To me, Alignment is not a rigid end-all, be-all descriptor of every single action a character makes. It should be a general direction the MAJORITY of the character's actions lead towards.
Lawful neutral says in the book, you follow the laws of the land, and care not the sway of good or evil. As long as the law is observed and followed, your actions should be neutral as far as good or evil.

That being said. Yes i can say i believe a thief should be able to be ANY alignment. Stealing food to feed starving family members, is not an evil act.
In Christian civilization, THOU SHALL NOT STEAL is the main reason fantasy rogues must NOT be good. I think, that THAT thinking ruins my fantasy world. If the law of the land is "thievery is legal as long as you are not caught," then thievery is LEGAL, and LAWFUL. If you steal food to feed starving children..and not get caught: that is LAWFUL GOOD thief in my book.

Just how I see the gray answers of "Alignment"

Yes If you follow the laws of the land, and use thieving skills justifiably within the laws of the land, Lawful Neutral is fine for a rogue.
(but be warned.. i do watch alignment and basic path of actions the characters make...)

P.S. Thevery and the thieves guild within Gothmoor have a twisted set of laws..even signed off by The Shadow King himself.

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#26 Post by Bhart »

Shonuff wrote:
Bhart wrote:A question on how you interpret alignment...Do you believe that a Thief could be Lawful Neutral?
*tries not to get into 40000 page alignment discussion*

To me, Alignment is not a rigid end-all, be-all descriptor of every single action a character makes. It should be a general direction the MAJORITY of the character's actions lead towards.
Lawful neutral says in the book, you follow the laws of the land, and care not the sway of good or evil. As long as the law is observed and followed, your actions should be neutral as far as good or evil.

That being said. Yes i can say i believe a thief should be able to be ANY alignment. Stealing food to feed starving family members, is not an evil act.
In Christian civilization, THOU SHALL NOT STEAL is the main reason fantasy rogues must NOT be good. I think, that THAT thinking ruins my fantasy world. If the law of the land is "thievery is legal as long as you are not caught," then thievery is LEGAL, and LAWFUL. If you steal food to feed starving children..and not get caught: that is LAWFUL GOOD thief in my book.

Just how I see the gray answers of "Alignment"

Yes If you follow the laws of the land, and use thieving skills justifiably within the laws of the land, Lawful Neutral is fine for a rogue.
(but be warned.. i do watch alignment and basic path of actions the characters make...)

P.S. Thevery and the thieves guild within Gothmoor have a twisted set of laws..even signed off by The Shadow King himself.
Good enough for me. I will not get into the many reasons why I disagree with the book's definition of the Lawful-Chaotic axis of alignment. It would indeed devolve into a 40k page discussion.

But, at the risk of starting that avalanche, what alignment would you assign a thief who is dedicated and loyal to his guild and its leadership but willingly breaks the law of the land. He sticks to every guild rule and tradition, always respects the hierarchy of leadership, and would kill or cause suffering of another person if it furthered the goals of the guild?

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#27 Post by Stonjuz »

Sounds to me like you are speaking of a chaotic guild. Loyalty to such guild would require some form of chaos. And since the guild's wishes are carried out, good or evil, i would final judge him/her as chaotic neutral.

Ive already second-guessed myself twice now. :?

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#28 Post by Bhart »

Stonjuz wrote:Sounds to me like you are speaking of a chaotic guild. Loyalty to such guild would require some form of chaos. And since the guild's wishes are carried out, good or evil, i would final judge him/her as chaotic neutral.

That is my problem. Chaotic people by definition are individualists, have little use for laws and regulations and dislike authority. Loyalty, dedication to tradition and rules, and acquiescence to authority are Lawful behaviors.

Anyway I don't want to make this a big debate. I'll go with what ever alignment makes sense to the DM. Still deciding between the thief or a fighter.

Endeavor

#29 Post by Endeavor »

Hey I'll stay out of it (mostly hehe its Sunday and theres nothing else to post) but I just want to add my two pence:

I don't believe you can commit theft and be a 'Lawful' character, whether you are Robin Hood (notice the 'Hood' in the name :lol: ) or a flat out pick-pocketer. Stealing is stealing (but that doesnt mean its unjustified or evil, just chaotic)...but to each their own, and as mentioned, the DM is the boss and the alignment system really doesnt cover the spectrum of human (and non-) behavior by a longshot; its up to the player to flesh out the definition of their alignment IMHO

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#30 Post by Stonjuz »

Shonuff wrote: If you want a particular class/kit, run it by me here i'll let ya know.

I have True Bard, from Bard's Handbook listed on my sheet for now.
Would consider changing to Merchant. (Doubt you will allow it, it is in the Skills and Powers)
Pros :
- extra gold 60 (that would help him get his lute out of the pawn shop)
- +1 reaction in cities
- +2 appraisal
- social rank for Business

Cons :
-loss of True Bard ability - Legend Lore
-potential -2 to all reaction rolls if defamed

Let me know, but still considering
Last edited by Stonjuz on Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#31 Post by Bhart »

Bhart wrote:
Stonjuz wrote:Sounds to me like you are speaking of a chaotic guild. Loyalty to such guild would require some form of chaos. And since the guild's wishes are carried out, good or evil, i would final judge him/her as chaotic neutral.

That is my problem. Chaotic people by definition are individualists, have little use for laws and regulations and dislike authority. Loyalty, dedication to tradition and rules, and acquiescence to authority are Lawful behaviors.

Anyway I don't want to make this a big debate. I'll go with what ever alignment makes sense to the DM. Still deciding between the thief or a fighter.
Never mind I've decided on the thief and I'm going with a chaotic alignment. :twisted:

Rotten
Tracker
Tracker

#32 Post by Rotten »

I'm going to wait until everyone else picks. ;)

Endeavor

#33 Post by Endeavor »

I was going to go with a Witch kit but the kit is giving me a headache and since computer +1 is going Mage, I'll avoid the redundancy and try to round out the group. Is there a Storm God honored and existent temple in Gothmoor? If so, can I use the Stormlord kit in Faiths and Avatars?

Or screw it I'll just be a reg cleric and skew my spheres and everything towards storm and elements.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#34 Post by Stonjuz »

Rotten wrote:I'm going to wait until everyone else picks. ;)
"Be fast or be the healer", my Saturday night game always says.
Why wait? I admit that an unbalanced party, one without heals, trapsmith, arcane, or short of blades, is not desired, but most/sometimes life ain't fair.
Is pbp much fun if there is no healer? I have no idea, but I bet I would remember it.

Rotten
Tracker
Tracker

#35 Post by Rotten »

Stonjuz wrote:
Rotten wrote:I'm going to wait until everyone else picks. ;)
"Be fast or be the healer", my Saturday night game always says.
Why wait? I admit that an unbalanced party, one without heals, trapsmith, arcane, or short of blades, is not desired, but most/sometimes life ain't fair.
Is pbp much fun if there is no healer? I have no idea, but I bet I would remember it.
Healer is one of my preferred classes. :)

Shonuff
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#36 Post by Shonuff »

Stonjuz wrote: I have True Bard, from Bard's Handbook listed on my sheet for now.
Would consider changing to Merchant. (Doubt you will allow it, it is in the Skills and Powers)
Pros :
- extra gold 60 (that would help him get his lute out of the pawn shop)
- +1 reaction in cities
- +2 appraisal
- social rank for Business

Cons :
-loss of True Bard ability - Legend Lore
-potential -2 to all reaction rolls if defamed

Let me know, but still considering
I'm okay with the True bard, And i'm okay with the Merchant. But realize we might not STAY in the city. but again. i'm leaving that to you guys...and what your characters decide to get into.

Endeavor wrote:I was going to go with a Witch kit but the kit is giving me a headache and since computer +1 is going Mage, I'll avoid the redundancy and try to round out the group. Is there a Storm God honored and existent temple in Gothmoor? If so, can I use the Stormlord kit in Faiths and Avatars?

Or screw it I'll just be a reg cleric and skew my spheres and everything towards storm and elements.

Nimbos (Nim-boze) Image
Rage son CN
Storms, Destruction, Rage, Rebellion
Greater Deity
A Storm cloud with three lightning bolts down.

INFO: Nimbos is known through the realm of Thaaed as the god of destruction, wanton rage and ceaseless storms. His temper is shown within the clouds that gather, or the earth that rumbles, or the boil within someone’s blood.
Nimbos hates his father, Silvein. Many believe this relationship is the source of his rage and tantrums. Before Nimbos took the portfolio of Storms and Destruction, Silvein forbade Nimbos from fighting the other gods who held those portfolios. Rebellion deep within the Godling’s blood pushed the son into the fight, and Nimbos slew the other gods, taking his own place in the upper pantheon. His father, Silvein knew his son was not ready for the power or the responsibility of the Upper pantheon and had cut off most of the natural fury of Thaaed from his son. This is the true reason for Nimbos’ inner rage.
Nimbos will often come to Thaaed as an avatar, often forming as a large storm cloud, then manifesting into a 10' tall berserker wearing furs and wielding twin battleaxes. His face is usually blurred, and featureless, except for two burning red eyes. His twin battle axes throw lightning as a 20th level magic user, and when they hit sparks explode from the contact point, doing another 4d6 damage.
Nimbos rules from his Keep of Storms on a demiplane created from pure storm clouds. Lightning and stinging rain surrounds his keep. Quasi-elementals of lightning, steam and smoke do the Anger god's bidding.
Followers of Nimbos are akin to their god and his personality. Most are quick to anger, and short on patience, as is Nimbos. Many barbarians follow Nimbos mainly for his freedom to rage. His priests or shamans called, “Tempests” favor clubs, maces and things that explode things, rather than cutting them. To call upon Nimbos during a rage or battle is a great blessing, but to have others claim you are within the “grip of Nimbos” is even greater. Nimbos loves chaos and wanton destruction over loyal prayers and simple babbling to the clouds.
Priests and shamans who pray to Nimbos often are more level headed than the warriors and fighters that pray to him. Their focus is more on Storms, natural destruction and seeing the power of nature and the sky destroying the land, natural or manmade during storms.

Stonjuz wrote: "Be fast or be the healer", my Saturday night game always says.
Not sure if it's fun to party wipe with no healer..but as the DM..HELL YES its fun :)

OKay so we got:
A Bard
A Swashbuckler Fighter
A Cutpurse Thief
A Priestess of Nimbos

okay....what else we missing? Who hasn't posted/decided yet?

Endeavor

#37 Post by Endeavor »

Nice, tastey. Taking a Priestess of Nimbos for sure. I want to give her an urban background i.e she was an orphan taken in by a Priest of Nimbos (to serve as a handmaiden (?) or what not) so I will throw a few NWPs that have a streetsmart ring to them, up for DM approval, of course.

Thanks for the flesh-out, Shonuff!

...and BTW me too Rotten..Healer and Bard are my default classes; fun stuff!

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#38 Post by Stonjuz »

Shonuff wrote: I'm okay with the True bard, And i'm okay with the Merchant. But realize we might not STAY in the city. but again. i'm leaving that to you guys...and what your characters decide to get into.
But is the biggest word in that sentence, :D, not STAY.
You scared me just enough to leave it as is.
Another Pro to True Bard.....50% less chance of being ripped off (by the Daggers code).
First time I ever thought less creation gold was better.

Evan turns to the street, leaving the pawn shop with his fifteen coins and some newly-gotten adventuring gear.
Taking one last look at the old Gibsophonic, he says to himself. 'Sure hope I know what I am doing' , then thinks to himself,...
'Even if I loose this ticket, I've had my eye on the new Fendermeister for awhile now anyway.'

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#39 Post by Computer +1 »

I will flesh out my militant wizard today.

Any information about the military academy?

Rotten
Tracker
Tracker

#40 Post by Rotten »

How about a Peasant Hero Kit Fighter - if my "hometown" can be Gothmoor.

Return to “Gothmoor: City of Shadows”