Pregame Discussions

DM: Dave
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Pregame Discussions

#1 Post by dmw71 »

Let's start here.

As the title of this thread indicates, let's park all the pregame discussion here.
  • Do you have a character concept in mind?
    • Feel free to share it here.
  • Are you interested in something that isn't found in the Player's Handbook?
    • Make that request here.
  • If you're new to 5e and have any burning questions?
    • This is the place to ask them.
  • Have thoughts on how to split the players into two groups?
    • Here's the place to make those suggestions.
Really, anything goes. ;)

So, while it may still be a while (at this point, I'm thinking it will realistically be sometime after the New Year), I'm excited to at least get things started.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Pregame Discussions

#2 Post by Pulpatoon »

Character Concept: Kañ-Demir, Dwarven Monk
Kañ-Demir is a Tuvan name that, the Internet tells me, translates as "Iron Iron." So, the most iron. Sounds Dwarven to me.

The character is modeled on Tuvan wrestlers:
The idea is that he comes from a monastic tradition called the Pantocrators (which is Greek, meaning "Strength over everything" and is used to refer to either Pankration wrestlers or an ascendant Jesus) who seek to perfect wrestling with physical opponents as a way of overcoming spiritual and philosophical obstacles. His spiritual quest is to grapple with ever-increasing opponents, until, ideally, he wrestles a god. It doesn't have to be a big god.

Mechanically, the issue is that the point-buy creation means this guy isn't actually very strong (DEX and WIS take priority), and 5e grappling is straight-up STR-based. But my hope is that, between levels 1 and 17 there will be opportunities to boost his STR. And, in the meantime, there may be fun with having a character with failure baked right in.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by drpete »

Hiya!

I'm new to 5e, but I've been reading and trying to get my head around the subtle points.

Pulpatoon, if you want a wrestler, I think you should go for it :) Sacrifice some of that wisdom (what is it super useful for here? I can't tell, but then I am new to 5e) and make the powerful wrestler you want!

Im thinking about making a dwarven rogue... a locksmith/ tinker. Looking around online, I see that there are some background choices connected to the campaign. Should we/ can we consider including that stuff?

The question of how/ why we are motivated to want to fight these dragons is a good one. There's the traditional revenge story, but are dragons either "high tech" or do they have rare components in their bodies that a crafter might want to do something with?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Rex »

Hi All,
I am open on what I want to run. I generally prefer fighters, fighter/thiefs (scouts) and clerics but am willing to play anything really. I may go with a half orc just to mix it up a bit. My experience with 5e is limited, I have only played in Dave's just finished urban investigation game. Starting to get the rules but by no means an expert at them. As far a splitting up the groups, the idea of less experienced in 1 group sounds OK, but it might help the DM if there is at least 1 experienced player in that group. just some random thoughts, more latter I imagine as ideas are brought up.
Rex

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#5 Post by dmw71 »

Pulpatoon wrote:Mechanically, the issue is that the point-buy creation means this guy isn't actually very strong (DEX and WIS take priority), and 5e grappling is straight-up STR-based. But my hope is that, between levels 1 and 17 there will be opportunities to boost his STR. And, in the meantime, there may be fun with having a character with failure baked right in.
Regarding this, the point buy system is actually a variant rule -- which, I'm not opposed to. In fact, I probably prefer it to the standard array. However, the actual method mentioned for generating ability scores is the traditional 4d6c1 method.
3. Determine Ability Scores wrote:"You generate your character’s six ability scores randomly. Roll four 6-sided dice and record the total of the highest three dice on a piece of scratch paper. Do this five more times, so that you have six numbers. If you want to save time or don’t like the idea of randomly determining ability scores, you can use the following scores instead: 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8."
I do want everyone to use the same method, but I'm open to hearing which method you guys prefer. Feel free to discuss.
drpete wrote:Looking around online, I see that there are some background choices connected to the campaign. Should we/ can we consider including that stuff?
Yes, definitely... I was fully planning on working with each player to feed them some extra background flavor for their character; either one of the items from the adventure, or possibly something custom. But, yes, I do plan to start each character with something that ties them to the game's start.

I will set up private forums for everyone later today and we can hold those conversations there.
drpete wrote:The question of how/ why we are motivated to want to fight these dragons is a good one. There's the traditional revenge story, but are dragons either "high tech" or do they have rare components in their bodies that a crafter might want to do something with?
If by "high tech" you mean magical, then there is some of that; but they also would have natural components (e.g. blood, scales, etc...) that would be of interest to the right person.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Rex »

I prefer rolling, but can work with any method.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#7 Post by dmw71 »

Rex wrote:As far a splitting up the groups, the idea of less experienced in 1 group sounds OK, but it might help the DM if there is at least 1 experienced player in that group.
Another factor to consider, which you guys can discuss, is preferred playing styles. It might be beneficial to have some blending between the two, but if there are players that cringe at the thought of social interactions and having to role-play... putting them in a group with all bards might not be the best idea.

Honestly, given how long this game will almost certainly run, the 5e experience level will become less and less of an issue over time. Players, I think, will pretty quickly pick up the intricacies of the game, at least those specific to their characters (which is probably enough to start). I know the first two characters I ever created were both fighters, and it didn't take long before I became almost bored with my second one because, at least mechanically, it was just repeating the same thing over again and I was yearning to try something different.

We'll find a good balance, I'm sure.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#8 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote:I will set up private forums for everyone later today and we can hold those conversations there.
These have been created. I, as the DM, will see the entire list; you, as the player, should only see the forum created specifically created in your name.

If anyone does not see a private forum (for the benefit of those that haven't used a private forum previously, these private forums can be found above the actual game forum):
Private Forums.jpg
Private Forums.jpg (308.25 KiB) Viewed 1370 times
To start, I will create a general topic where all of our discussions can take place (from questions about the rules, suggestions, requests, etc...), but other topics can/will be created as needed as the game progresses.[/ooc]
-- Project --
-- DM --

BearSiren817
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#9 Post by BearSiren817 »

I am thinking about a Tabaxi Rogue Archeologist/Traveler. Named Dr. Catarina Jones. Friends call her Kitty. She swindled her way into studying at Candlekeep for a couple of years and has a self proclaimed doctorate degree. She is very curious and more about unraveling the mysteries of an artifact than the actual item.

I prefer standard points than rolling. Or the point buying variant.
Azalea, 1st level Rogue, Dave’s Urban Campaign

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by ravenn4544 »

I am thinking about a Dragonborn Sorcerer with a red dragon(fire) ancestry.

Origin something like: His (Brenzavur Fyrebrand) clan, while a lawful good society dedicated to Bahamut, was raided just before his hatching by an attack of Githyanki and a Red Dragon on some mission of conquest and dissent. The hatchery, polluted by magical influence of this ancient being, spilled over into creating the unusual traits carried by Bren.

Not sure how tough the going will be so maybe a single party makes sense in the beginning? But I think 5e kind of customizes these adventures for a given number of players so maybe a non issue.

I'm up for any die rolling method. Clarification - if we do get 18's on an ability, does the race attribute bonus allow for greater than 18?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by drpete »

I should say that im flexible about character creation method, though I would prefer a method where we could at least assign as desired, so that we can have some control over the shape of the character.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#12 Post by dmw71 »

ravenn4544 wrote:Clarification - if we do get 18's on an ability, does the race attribute bonus allow for greater than 18?
The only two games I've run both used the point buy method, so having an ability score higher than 18 wasn't possible.

But, if we do go with the 4d6c1 method, and you do roll a 17 or an 18, I suppose it is possible to begin with a score above 18. It may somehow I'm not aware of be possible, but you can't naturally increase any ability score above 20:
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#13 Post by dmw71 »

drpete wrote:I should say that im flexible about character creation method, though I would prefer a method where we could at least assign as desired, so that we can have some control over the shape of the character.
If you guys do end up rolling for your ability scores, the rolls are not applied in order and can be assigned however you'd like. That's by the book.

There's definitely more risk when rolling, and I don't want anyone to be unhappy with their character (especially in what promises to be a very long campaign), so... I don't know? Point buy is the safest, but it is kind of boring.

Feel free to continue to discuss this, and definitely weigh in if you strongly prefer (or despise) a particular method.

I'm definitely going to need to make a few decisions here pretty quickly (e.g. point buy vs rolling for ability scores, milestone advancement vs tracking experience points, etc...), so don't worry about this dragging out too long.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#14 Post by dmw71 »

ravenn4544 wrote:Not sure how tough the going will be so maybe a single party makes sense in the beginning? But I think 5e kind of customizes these adventures for a given number of players so maybe a non issue.
This will kind of depend upon the party size. The adventure, as written, is balanced for a party of four characters. We have eight players. Possibly more (as people have previously indicated an interest but haven't signed on yet), so I'm thinking two separate groups will be the easier than doubling the number or toughness of every encounter.

As the title of the campaign suggests, there will be dragons in this game. Adding a second dragon to an encounter, or making one twice as tough, could be really dangerous.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Gerrin
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#15 Post by Gerrin »

I'm kicking around the idea of a half-elven wizard/blade singer. Although as I read through the players handbook i keep getting distracted by other stuff

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Rex »

Does the module recommend a certain class mix? Or something that is required class wise? If so we should make sure each group has it. I will hold off on deciding until we hear from a few more players.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#17 Post by dmw71 »

Rex wrote:Does the module recommend a certain class mix?
No, it really doesn't.

This, again, will be a pretty massive campaign. There will be plenty of opportunity for combat, but it's entirely possible to resolve potential combat situations through social interaction. There is a Cult of the Dragon which is causing problems... and actual dragons! There are allies, and enemies, and factions. You may need to find things, investigate things, interrogate things, speak with things, deceive things, sneak past things, hide from things, translate things, track things, etc...

Depending upon how you decide to play a particular situation, there will be the potential to put all the skills to use:
  • Do you want to attack them, or try to talk with them?
  • Do you want to persuade someone, or intimidate them?
  • Do you want to deceive someone, or wow them with a performance?

A party doesn't need to be perfectly balanced, but having too much of one thing at the expense of everything else is probably not advisable.

Actually...

This will serve two purposes:
  • First, it will make sure every is able to get a character created in the die roller (which, for new users, does require a separate account (use can use the same credentials, however));
  • Second, it will give each player a bit of flavor to work into their character... which may be useful. You're free to share this information with the rest of the group, or not. ;)

So, everyone, can you please make a 1d20 roll and post the results into your private forum?
(Note: The Campaign ID for this game will be 726.)
There's a pretty good tutorial on using the die roller (here), but definitely feel free to let me know (here, or in your private forum) if you have any questions and I'll be sure to help.

We're getting closer....
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Rex »

Posted in private forum.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#19 Post by Scott308 »

Pulpatoon wrote:But my hope is that, between levels 1 and 17 there will be opportunities to boost his STR. And, in the meantime, there may be fun with having a character with failure baked right in.
When a character hits levels 4, 8, 12, 16, and 19 in a class, you have the option of picking up a Feat (assuming Dave allows them) or applying 2 points to stat increases, not raising higher than 20. There are magical ways to increase stats beyond 20, but are few and far between.

As Dave knows, I have a fair amount of experience with 5e, probably more than anyone else on the board, and I'm happy to help if anyone has rules questions or want help with character creation. As for my character, I'm working on a concept. I am thinking something from Volo's. I'm waiting to see what my d20 roll provides, but my character should be...interesting.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Rex »

For those of us considering a cleric/druid, what gods are we using?

Return to “Tyranny of Dragons - Group 2 (5e)”