Chapter 2: Hell's Back Road

Pulpatoon

Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Chapter 2: Hell's Back Road

#142 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Anurak

As they walk, Anurak admires Urethria's shapely behind. He's disapointed she's chosen to walk quite as far ahead of him as she has and irritated that the tiresome decapitates insistently prevent him from approaching her any closer. Shouldn't he and Urethria be walking side-by-side, hand-in-hand? It's almost as though she's avoiding him. Nah! That can't be. Not after how swimmingly everything's been going between them. She's probably just having to put on a show so that oaf Yithbara doesn't discover how they feel about one another.

For a while, Anurak concentrates on offering Urethria his loving support, demonstrating the depth of his feelings by beaming them directly and continuously into her mind, bombarding her with warm romantic overtures and irresistable imagined exotic delicacies. If anything, Urethria seems to edge slightly further away at this, and it feels to Anurak as though their thoughts are no longer entwined. Sigh. What had she sneered as she tied up his colleagues? Something about "getting away from the mental ramblings of the moronic foreigners." So, she was a little tetchy. Once they were together he was sure he could help her be the better person that she so desperately wanted to be deep down inside.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#143 Post by Pulpatoon »

Operation: Unfathomable! Day Three: Late Afternoon
Amidst a company of bewitched thralls to Urethria, Anurak beams with deeper adoration than any of them.

Dr. Thontorious is obviously distressed by the sight of his colleague. The mission at the core of his being to to find and stop Gormontine, and yet there is an implicit understanding that Urethria wants him to stay back here. The bear's face is contorted with mental conflict. "Urethria!" he half-yells, half-growls, "This is the very man of whom I spoke to you so recently! Professor Zabon Gormontine! He has terrible designs upon the Nul Rod!"

From the distance, you hear a high voice enquire, "Ephraim?"

Suddenly the two parties ahead are in conflict! Urethria is yelling, decapitates are rushing forward with their spears, and Gormontine's armored companions are firing flashes of light that make a distinct PEW PEW! sound.

At the sight of battle, Thontorious tries to dash forward, but the decapitates who stayed behind to guard you lower their spears and make it clear that he should stay put.

In the conflict, Urethria's mental domination is shaken. Anyone who is presently charmed can roll again to break free (1d20+INT bonus ≥ 16).

Also: last chance on bone picking: Did anyone either collect Wither's crushed form (as Greminus had requested with his dying breath) or loot his body? Spell books are very expensive.

ACTIONS?
Next update: Wednesday!

rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#144 Post by rossik »

*Drooling

[1d20] = 1

Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#145 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Anurak

Seeing Urethria in danger, with barely any hesitation to consider his own wellbeing, Anurak seizes the momentary opportunity while the decapitates are occupied with Doctor Thontorius and scurries away to save his beloved. I'm coming my love. Racing forward as fast as his rather short legs will carry him, with heart in mouth and shield and cleaver in hand, he imagines valiantly throwing himself upon Urethria to knock her out of the way of Gormontine's companions' light blasts and heroically fighting to protect her. Don't let me be too late!

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#146 Post by Pulpatoon »

Dr. Thontorius lunges forward to confront Gormontine, and Anurak runs alongside to assist the object of his devotion. Decapitates move to stop them, but they are sent bowling over by the force of the rushing pair. They will reach the conflict ahead next round.

Ahead, Professor Gormontine fires a cone of energy above the heads of Urethria and the decapitates. The armored figures fire off thin beams of energy. Yithbara dives out of the way of one such beam. He avoids being struck by it, but throws himself hard on the cavern floor. "Bow to my will, you melon-skulled fool!" cries the Priestess Urethria, She flashes mystic light from her jewel at the Professor, but it does not have any noticeable effect. Several of the decapitates throw their javelins at Professor Gormontine and his companions. Some miss, but one clearly strikes home on an armored figure, only to bounce harmlessly off. Another is aimed to skewer Gormontine, but its flight is interrupted mid-air a few feet from the Professor with a shower of sparks. "BEEP-BOOP. DESIST. CEASE. DESIST." intones one of the armored figures.

Dice: ACTIONS!
Update: Friday

Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#147 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Anurak

Desperate to protect his beloved from the dastardly Gormentine, and also to show Urethria that life with a loving boyfriend with real thoughts and true feelings for her is far superior to the empty life of mindless automatons that she knows, Anurak races to the shapely priestess's aid. He has a brief moment to feel rather proud of himself and how far he's come in such a short a time. Never before has he been brave or had a girlfriend like Urethria to put himself on the line for... well any girlfriend at all really. It gives him an odd, warm kind of sensation inside.

"That's my girlfriend you're shooting at!" he yells proudly and accusingly at Gormentine and the row-bots (Strange that there don't appear to be any oars in sight).

Then, making his passionate imaginings reality, he flings himself valiantly at Urethria to knock her out of the path of a hail of incoming fire, hoping that the beams hit his shield but just doing his best to be her hero really. (If this was a John Woo movie, this bit would be in slow motion.)

Should Anurak survive his reckless gallantry (or should that be 'stupidity') he will lay there for a moment, heart pounding, gasping for breath, gazing longingly into Urethria's deep green eyes and then he will jump up and continue to bravely protect her in whatever way he can... mostly with his shield and cleaver... but with his life if he has to... and all the while hoping that he's going to heroically survive this and win the girl, just like all the heroes in the best stories he's read.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#148 Post by Pulpatoon »

Urethria chants and makes odd gestures around her jewel, which glows with an eerie purple light.

"That's my girlfriend you're shooting at!" shouts Anurak, tackling Urethria to the ground, fouling her aim as crackling purple waves of energy strike the roof of the cavern.

Yithbara closes in on Gormontine, but is blocked by the two armored figures, who use the pinch-point of the bridge to bar anyone reaching the Professor. Yithbara's scimitar bounces harmlessly off the armored figures. Behind him crowd the decapitates, but their weapons are no more capable of scratching the iron hides.

The armored beings raise their arms in a threatening gesture, and suddenly the hands begin to spout white, sudsy foam! The foam covers Yithbara and the decapitates, briefly making them look whimsical, like confectionary figures of marshmallow and icing. But then the foam hardens, trapping all but one of the decapitates!

Gormentine now strolls casually over to the tangle of limbs that is Anurak and Urethria. "Thank you for your assistance," he says to Anurak. "Please hold her still."

Addressing Urethria, he says, "I have no wish to harm you. I am on a mission of the highest priority and it would be vastly more efficient to procure your cooperation. I seek the Nul Rod. You are a Nul Priestess. Logic dictates that you are a likely source of information on its whereabouts."

Urethria moves the withering heat of her gaze from Anurak to Gormentine and looks like she is about to say something blisteringly vicious, but then her expression changes. She briefly concentrates, and holds her silence.

Forty feet behind her, the four decapitates guarding the adventuring party break into a run towards the bridge.

Dr. Thontorious has drawn his ray gun. "Gormentine. Zabon. You must stop this! Think... think of how all this will look to your promotion and tenure committee!"

Dice: ACTIONS?!
Next update: Friday

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#149 Post by Zhym »

Bubba watches the spectacle, wondering if anyone will remove his manacles and trying to pick out who has his sword.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#150 Post by Pulpatoon »

Zhym wrote:Bubba watches the spectacle, wondering if anyone will remove his manacles and trying to pick out who has his sword.
One of the decapitates that had been guarding you is carrying a backpack that has the Sword of Demolition strapped to it. This decapitate is now running towards the bridge.

rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#151 Post by rossik »

For Doctor Gori , all of this looks very confusing. He likes the funny name priestess, but that guy is trying to harm her! So, logic say that he must interfere. If possible, he will shoot at that bad person.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#152 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Galot tied up and disarmed does his best to watch while trying to somehow free himself.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#153 Post by Pulpatoon »

GreyWolfVT wrote:Galot tied up and disarmed does his best to watch while trying to somehow free himself.
What is Galot doing to free himself?

GreyWolfVT

#154 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pulpatoon wrote:
GreyWolfVT wrote:Galot tied up and disarmed does his best to watch while trying to somehow free himself.
What is Galot doing to free himself?
struggling and wiggling his arms and wrists as I'm not entirely sure what material was used to bind him.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#155 Post by Pulpatoon »

GreyWolfVT wrote:struggling and wiggling his arms and wrists as I'm not entirely sure what material was used to bind him.
Pulpatoon wrote:Yithbara comes along and binds their hands with some manner of tough cord made from long strands of fibrous fungus.
You may choose to try to either break your bonds (check STR) or wriggle free of them (check DEX). In either case, you need to beat a 20.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#156 Post by Zhym »

Bubba strains against his bonds and shouts the command word for his exploding sword.

Str: [1d20+3] = 19+3 = 22

What the hell. Let's see what happens!

Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#157 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Anurak

Dammit! Why did nothing ever go quite as planned?!! Anurak had put his life on the line, hurling himself between Urethria and a hail of fire, at not inconsiderable risk to himself, to valiantly save his girlfriend so that she could see how much he really did love her and to release the floodgate on her own tightly repressed feelings. He'd done all that willingly mind you, solely out of his love for Urethria and without any hint of mind-control, and what? Now she was angry with him?! I mean, come on, that hardly seemed fair... Or what was that other expression... 'cricket'. Yes, 'not cricket'. He'd definitely heard that somewhere. Though he didn't really know much about the game itself, as he'd only seen it once and at some distance, while catering in a remote province. It seemed to involve a ball and various sticks that you either had to hit with the ball or hit the ball with. It didn't really make a lot of sense to him but then that was true of most sports. They were all pretty much pointless self-licking lollipops. Hmmm... lollipops. Now there was something he hadn't tasted in a while, it hadn't been cold enough. Anyway, he supposed his mind was perhaps wandering a little.

He turns his attention back to the current situation, just as Urethria looks like she is about to say something blisteringly vicious in response to Gormentine. Anurak's heart swells with love and pride at his girlfriend's fierce defiance. What a woman! He immediately decides to forgive her for being angry with him. She is after all just such an awesome girlfriend that it's hard to hold any kind of grudge and besides, she is obviously in a tight spot and under a lot of pressure right at the moment. Anyone would be a little snappy under such conditions and, on top of everything, she really does kind of seem to need his help, however tough she wants to appear on the outside. If she needs me, I'm absolutely going to stand by her, Anurak thinks. I mean that's what being a boyfriend is all about.

Hey, are you in here? I'm with you okay, he reaches out to Urethria in his mind. I mean, I know you're really tough and cool and well... amazingly hot, but it looks like we're in a bit of a spot here. We can't let Gormentine get his hands on the Nul Rod or he's going to give it to the Sorcerer King and wipe out every last bit of organic life in the universe. So, how do you want to play this? I'm thinking maybe for now I should play along with him and pretend to restrain you. What do you think? I mean, I'm happy to play it another way if you have a different idea.

ooc: Apologies for my rather verbose replies at the moment. I've been shooting for Anurak's rambling mind driving Urethria a little crazy, so have been deliberately waffling on... but I confess this is also one of my real-life strengths :D

GreyWolfVT

#159 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Galot tries the less brutish manner and tries to use his dexterity to break free.

DEX Save [1d20+2] = 2+2 = 4

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#160 Post by Pulpatoon »

The decapitate guard abandons their prisoners to rush forward and rescue the Priestess Urethria.

Bubba flexes and snaps his fungal bonds, calling out the activation word to his magic sword.

Strapped to the backpack of a decapitate, the Sword of Demolition begins to countdown in a calm, contralto voice. "30... 29... 28..."

Doctor Gori loads his little crossbow and fires it at the melon-headed Gormontine. As soon as he releases the mechanism, he feels the sense of deep satisfaction that comes with recognizing a true shot. Sure enough, the bolt whizzing across the cavern, its aim true, and lodges itself in mid-air, several feet before the target. Energy crackles around the bolt's shaft, and then there is the sense of a bubble popping. The energy blinks out, the bolt falls to the stone slabs of the bridge, and Professor Gormontine falls over backwards, crying, "My forcefield!"

"27... 26... 25..."

Anurak telepathically plies his troth to the cruel but lovely Urethria, whose delicate grey features flush with rage. "Get aside, you fool!" she shouts. Anurak is blinded by a brilliant white light and deafened by a loud crack as a bolt lightning erupts from her jewel.

The bolt of lightning arcs through Anurak's chest (-23 hp), strikes one of the armored figures even as it attempts to duck away (-12 hp), and finds the prone Gormontine (-23hp).

Anurak dies instantly. The armored figure drops to the ground, smoking and emitting sparks. Gromontine's burning flesh peels away, revealing, incongruously, armor underneath.
Gormontine's limbs still move, weakly and erratically. "I... w-w-w-will... not be... zzxt! stopped!"

"24... 23... 22...:

Doctor Thontorious steps forward, his face a mask of tragic resolve. "I'm reluctant to contradict a colleague, but I see no other choice. This has gone entirely too far, Zabon." He fires his ray gun directly into Gormontine's strange metal chest. The Professor jerks, his body cracks open in a shower of obscure mechanism, and he dies.

"22... 20... 19..."

The remaining armored figure aims a beam of pink light at Thontrorious. The bear's limbs grow rigid and he crumbles to the ground.

"18... 17..."

The single decapitate at Urethria's side attempts an attack on the armored figure, but it's scimitar is turned harmlessly aside by its metal hide.

Galot struggles with his bonds, but makes no progress.

"16... 15..."

Urethria pushes Anurak's charred body off her and stands, brushing soot off her robes, just as the four additional decapitates reach her. "Kill that thing," she orders, pointing to the armored figure. "And release them," she indicates Yithbara and company trapped in the foam. "And shut up whoever is doing that infernal counting!"

"14... 13..."

ACTIONS!
Next update: Monday!
Alas, poor Anurak! There will be no retirement to a little bungalow in the Black Ooze River Valley, cooking crispy little pancakes for Urethria! He will be sorely missed.

Dice:

Return to “Operation Unfathomable (Knave)”