Mission 3: What Have You Read on Kindle?

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Mission 3: What Have You Read on Kindle?

#1 Post by Bluehorse »

En Route
What Have You Read on Kindle?
Aug. 9, 2018, 4:00pm
Hot Humid, but Pleasantly Welcoming

The team makes ready to head out to the local Orthodox Church on the outskirts of town. As the 5 teammates pile into the Jeep SUV with fresh stickers, they realize it can seat 5 people rather comfortably as long and long tall Roy is up front with the Wheel Man Lionel. The back seat is less comfortable, but they can manage. If they ever get that 6th teammate on duty, they may have to figure out something. For now, there is still plenty of room in the back for gear, and they are officially mobile. That is what matters. Lights, Sirens, and maybe some additional equipment from HQ, and they will have a bonified true Ecto 1! Too bad that as they head out, they realize the radio is shot. The signals keep going in and out, making listening to even local music a pain. They do catch a few snippets here and there, as well as a brief news story talking about the ribbon cutting. The DJ mentions: Well, looks like Father Belmont and
*************ders are at it again. I tell ya, I don't ************************** if they did! Maybe someone should just set them up a boing r************************* Wouldn't that be fun to watch? You can follow me on Screecher @TheRealDJTom and tell me what you thi************** In the meantime, here is a little something to welcome our new local hometown heroes.
The team is greeted with the first 8 or so bars of "Ghostbusters" before losing signal all together other than an AM station that seems to play nothing but a yodeling song over and over on a loop.

As Roy's GPS navigation on the company phone leads them down Roger's Ave, the stop and go traffic is not too bad by big city standards, and it takes about 20 mins to drive all the way across town. Soon the road seems to open up shortly after passing the last of the big restaurant chains and before they know it, they are cruising at a good 45mph in more or less open highway and crossing the river into Barling, AR. Once up the surprisingly scenic hill, they are in what frankly looks like a much smaller miniature version of Fort Smith. The road is lined on both sides with mom and pop businesses that all appear to be doing very well and seem very clean and well maintained. A little slice of Americana without the industrial feel of Downtown Fort Smith they have seen the past couple of days. In the amount of time to justify the old joke, blink and you'll miss it, they are crossing out of the town proper and spot the new interstate being built, with big signs proclaiming. "Another mile complete! Your mileage made this possible!" with a big picture of none other than Mayor Sanders himself, Big smile, big cigar, and bit white hat.

Just past the interstate, they spot the old Army base, Fort Chaffee... or what is left of it. As they are directed down the road labeled Mahogany Ave., they can see many of the structures seem to have been destroyed with most of the foundations and plumbing still visible where the buildings were before.

Not quite a half mile down the straight road, they quickly can make out the old Amry Chapel that, sure enough, has a modest sign out front reading Orthodox Christian Church. There is a small cross over the door and a very welcoming feel that mirrors the aura of the Church of the Living God in such a starkly opposite way for Etta, that she cannot help but feel like there is a spider at the base of her spine again.
St.GnAOC.JPG
St.GnAOC.JPG (93.5 KiB) Viewed 6724 times
The feeling of this place though is warm, welcoming, and pure. Somehow you all get a feeling like this is almost surreally tranquil like you are stepping back into something of a better time in the 1950s your grandparents might have talked about or in the idyllic Americana movies of that time. Either way, everyone feels a little lighter in their step, and some of the natural tension of day to day life feels like it has been relieved from you.

Actions?

Brownie Point Pool
Dr. Jason O'Roarke: 62/66 (**)
Dr. Vanette Conklin: 55/57 (*)
Lionel 'Freight Train' Williams: 52/58 (*)
Roy O'Dowd: 64/64  (**) (***)
David "Mac" McAuslan: 58/58 (**)

* - +1d6 on any one roll. (Xmas)
** - No Ghost Dice on any one roll. (Xmas)
*** - +1d6 for the next use of the Ghost Trap

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Mission 3: What Have You Read on Kindle?

#2 Post by Rex »

Mac

"Run the test and see if we get anything."

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#3 Post by Scott308 »

Lionel "Freight Train" Williams

Pulling into the parking lot, Lionel has a chance to get a good look at the church. Looks nice and friendly. Killing the engine, he gets out of the Jeep, pocketing the key as he stretches.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#4 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy hops out and stretches and casually looks around. "Quaint place isn't it. Reminds me a bit of home."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Pulpatoon »

Etta pulls the PKE out of her cardigan pocket and takes a reading

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Rex »

Mac

Mac will take a look around and see what he can notice from the parking lot.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Bluehorse »

En Route
Aug. 9, 2018, 4:04pm

Etta whips out her PKE and the readings are... good. It is not neutral... but this is the least reading heavy area she has seen since picking it up, and what readings she sees are what are technically called in Spengler's Guide as "Good Vibes". The kind consistent with consecrated ground like at well-kept places of worship, community centers, and Buddhist temples. For all intents and purposes, this place checks out. This would be a great place to keep in mind as a safe haven in the future.

As for the other teammates, what you see if what you get. The church is very well kept and maintained. There are fresh shingles on the roof and what appears to be fresh paint. The lawn is manicured and the sidewalks seem to have been very well maintained, and fresh gravel has been spread out on the parking area as well.

Actions?

Brownie Point Pool

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Pulpatoon »

Etta shows the display of her PKE around the cabin of the SUV. "With vibes like this, I might join the congregation."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Rex »

Mac

"Me too, looks nice from here. Lets go see what they have to say."

Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#10 Post by Taaz »

As they load out Jaso looks at the readings Etta has taken. Fascinating, the valence on the ambient PKE is following a similar ionization rate and pattern as the positively bathed Mood Slime, I've never seen anything like this. He starts taking and recording readings with his own PKE and sniffer, takes some soils samples from around the outside and denotes the longitude and latitude, writing as much as he can. Often he will pull on a set of the Ecto Goggles while examining the grounds to see if there is anything missed by the naked eye. He walks up too the church and looks around for any historical plaques or anything of significance before going in.

Sorry I missed a few posts been really busy, if you need or want rolls let me know.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Pulpatoon »

While the begoggled Jason collects samples, Etta walks up to the nathrex door and checks to see if it is open. If so, she'll stick her head in and see if anyone is around. If locked, she'll knock.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Bluehorse »

Jason sees nothing out of order one way or the other. The sniffer and PKE record the data and uploads it all to his laptop because technology is a thing and we want it to be convenient... pending a 1 on the ghost dice.

Etta finds the door is open and swings easily on old but well-oiled hinges that don't squeak but sigh contently. She sees the room is well shaded but not dark, with the stained glass windows letting in just enough light to keep it comfortable, and there are fans turning from high on the ceiling and despite its age, the building is air-conditioned. She sees a man in his late 60's working around the alter. He looks up and smiles warmly.

Hello, ma'am. I am Papa Popascu. How can I be of service? He speaks with a small hint of an accent but it is hard to pick out.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Pulpatoon »

Etta: "Oh, Father, am I glad to meet you. I'm Dr. Conklin, and outside you'll find my colleagues..." She swings to the door open to reveal the Ecto and jumpsuit-clad Ghostbusters. "We thought you might be able to assist us in one of our investigations. And may I just say, this church is absolutely lovely! More than lovely—it feels like a haven of repose."

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#14 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy walks up behind Etta and smiles politely to the 60 yo man and waves "Hello I'm Roy."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Rex »

Mac

Mac wanders in with Roy. "And I am Mac, nice to meet you."

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#16 Post by Scott308 »

Lionel "Freight Train" Williams

The big Ghostbuster walks right up to the old man, offering his hand to shake. Mr. Popascu, pleased to meet you, sir. My name is Lionel. Should we call you Papa, or Father...your holiness...? Sorry, I don't want to call you by the wrong title, but I guess I already did, huh? My apologies, sir.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Bluehorse »

En Route
Aug. 9, 2018, 4:10pm

PPP The elderly priest laughs and the wrinkles on his face come to life showing he has been this jovial for a long long time. He waves everyone in as he moves out from behind the altar where he was working and welcomes them. Papa or Father is fine.
I would like to say don't call me Mr. That was my dad, but he was Papa, too. And so was his father. You could call it a condition.
he grins as she nears. Everyone is welcome here. Come in, shut the door, please. It's hot outside! My grandpa used to argue with one of the archdioceses who thought air conditioning was a sin. He saids to him, Your Holiness! Let us have air conditioning, and we will show them that church is where people come to get out of the heat. Well, it feels nice in here... so I suppose you know how that went over. What can I do for you, and don't worry about formalities, I certainly understand.
PapaPopascu.JPG
PapaPopascu.JPG (43.21 KiB) Viewed 6680 times
Actions?

Brownie Point Pool

Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#18 Post by Taaz »

Jason takes a few readings as the others file into the church and records it. He puts away the equipment and begins looking around the church making his way inside behind the others. Padre, and nods. We were hoping to talk to you about an entity we are researching. Are you familiar with the legends of a demon named Kindle? The name came up in an investigation and that thread lead us here.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Bluehorse »

Jason wrote: Padre, and nods. We were hoping to talk to you about an entity we are researching. Are you familiar with the legends of a demon named Kindle? The name came up in an investigation and that thread lead us here.
Shhhhhhhh! the priest waves his hand emphatically as if to banish something from the air. He happy demeanor drops instantly and he pales a little. He quickly turns towards the altar and crosses himself three times, murmuring something.

Once he is done, he turns and looks over his shoulder with wide eyes. He was rattled. He motions them forward. We don't speak such names. I can give them power over you. Please, do not say that here. he looks around and waves them along. Follow me...

He does the old man shuffle towards one of three doors in the back of the church and rattles a key in the lock, opening it. He waves to them again. Come, come!

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Rex »

Mac

Follows along, much more alert now.

Return to “Mission Archive”