Group 1: Discussions

DM: Dave
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Group 1: Discussions

#61 Post by dmw71 »

drpete wrote:He doesn't have persuasion...
Just a point of clarification.
  • Everyone has every skill.
  • Not everyone is proficient in every skill.

So, looking at Oskar's list of skills:
Persuasion.jpg
Persuasion.jpg (47.34 KiB) Viewed 1611 times
He has the Persuasion skill, which uses his Charisma ability, but he isn't proficient in that skill.

For everyone, every time, they will always add their ability modifier to the skill they're attempting to use. If they're proficient, they will also add their proficiency bonus.

So, in this case, Oskar would roll a d20 and subtract 1 from his result.
If he was proficient in 'Persuasion,' he would roll a d20 and add 1 to his result (-1 for Charisma, +2 for being proficient).
It's a minor, but important detail.

Make sense?[/ooc]
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#62 Post by dmw71 »

However...

This:
"He doesn't have persuasion, but he's trying to use logic... could that be an intelligence/persuasion check?"

Is definitely possible under the 'Variant: Skills with Different Abilities' rule.

This isn't an automatic thing, where a character can always overcome an ability shortcoming by substituting a different ability they're stronger in, but you are always welcome to attempt it.

If you can make a strong enough case, that's relevant to the situation, I'll almost certainly allow it.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#63 Post by dmw71 »

drpete wrote:If not stopped, Oskar wants to do an invasive investigation of the thing, using his tools. Tinker tools and/or thieves tools would have files, awls, little magnifiers, etc, which might let him poke around intensively, scratching at the surface, etc, to see if it *at least* an actual egg, or something else entirely. He will even poke a small hole in the thing, given that the consensus is that, at best, it's a dead red dragon egg...

Int/Dex w/proficiency [1d20+4] = 6+4 = 10
Using my inspiration:
Int/Dex w/proficiency [1d20+4] = 19+4 = 23

Note: this might be investigation rather than a tool skill. Or it might be both, which might mean advantage...?
Sorry for prolonging this
Oskar definitely has the appropriate tool proficiencies (and background) to attempt what you're requesting.

If the stranger allows such tinkering (I don't want to spoil the next update yet), you can potentially save your Inspiration by working together. Unfortunately, no one else in your group has a similar enough proficiency, but maybe the stranger does? ;)

As for combining investigation and tools to gain advantage... I'll consider this.
-- Project --
-- DM --

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by drpete »

Gotcha :)

The advantage idea comes from p78 of Xanathars. (Tools and skills together) Definitely trying to squeeze the most out of things, but it's cool either way!

https://www.dndbeyond.com/compendium/ru ... lsTogether

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#65 Post by dmw71 »

drpete wrote:The advantage idea comes from p78 of Xanathars. (Tools and skills together) Definitely trying to squeeze the most out of things, but it's cool either way!

https://www.dndbeyond.com/compendium/ru ... lsTogether
Ahh, thanks for pointing out that rule. It makes sense -- so, yes, both your Investigation and your tools would work together in this situation, so you will have advantage (without using your inspiration).
-- Project --
-- DM --

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Discussions

#66 Post by drpete »

For the moment, I've put the second potion of healing on my sheet so it doesn't get lost. If Bren wants it, he can have it, to spread healing mojo around to various spots.

I'm imagining this egg business will be wrapped up, soon. Should we/can we assume that we can shop before heading out, or should we save that for our destination (which I guess is a bigger town...? Are we in a tiny hamlet or something at the moment?)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#67 Post by dmw71 »

drpete wrote:For the moment, I've put the second potion of healing on my sheet so it doesn't get lost. If Bren wants it, he can have it, to spread healing mojo around to various spots.
This is fine. However, until other arrangements have been made, I will assume Oskar is actually carrying it.
drpete wrote:I'm imagining this egg business will be wrapped up, soon. Should we/can we assume that we can shop before heading out, or should we save that for our destination (which I guess is a bigger town...? Are we in a tiny hamlet or something at the moment?)
Don't worry, this egg business is ending soon, yes. Just to remind everyone, it's late at night, and arrangements have been made for a free night of lodging for the group.

What you guys elect to do in the morning is up to you, but you gather that Dahyrst is a small, sleepy fishing town so there are likely to be limits on what's available for purchase, trade, etc...

Maybe the best way to handle requests would be for "you" to ask Briez or Hily for what you're interested in, and they can advise you.
-- Project --
-- DM --

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by ravenn4544 »

Bren added a potion of healing (greater) to his sheet. Makes sense to split up. Thanks for suggesting!

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by drpete »

ravenn4544 wrote:Bren added a potion of healing (greater) to his sheet. Makes sense to split up. Thanks for suggesting!
Cool. I think it's just a regular potion, though, not a "greater" one :)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#70 Post by dmw71 »

drpete wrote:I think it's just a regular potion, though, not a "greater" one :)
It is.

It's just the standard version of it found in the equipment list.
-- Project --
-- DM --

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by ravenn4544 »

Thanks - I see it listed now. I was filtering by 'potions' and the standard version wasn't there but in the basic equipment list as you mention.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by ravenn4544 »

With our new colleague we should update the marching order/watch info above that Dr.P has kindly updated. Suggestions?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by drpete »

Monsieur Rose,

Not sure if it's intended as such, but Rumble's shout could be a "help" for Oskar's intimidation attempt... wanna throw me advantage, and see if we can't scare them off?

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sounds like a plan. Let's do it.
Rumble will help Oskar intimidate.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by drpete »

Cool, thanks... that looks like it might well work!

Intimidate (2nd roll) [1d20-1] = 17-1 = 16

Return to “Tyranny of Dragons - Group 1 (5e)”