Group 1: OOC I

DM: Dave
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Group 1: OOC I

#1 Post by dmw71 »

OOC I
Please try to limit out of character chatter in the actual action posts and post that "stuff" here instead.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: OOC I

#2 Post by dmw71 »

This will be unlocked once the game actually begins. For now, please use the Pregame Discussions topic instead.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#3 Post by dmw71 »

Okay, it's technically past midnight here in the Central time zone, so I missed my New Years Day kickoff... which, honestly, feels like a bit of relief. I'm very close to being ready, but I'm not quite there and rushing to launch the game prematurely is probably not the best decision.

Expect to launch sometime later today (Wednesday), but please allow for another day or two delay... just in case.

I have created a new 'Groups' post where I've broken down the ten players into the two groups. For each character, I have the start of their 'footer' information (ravenn4544 and BearSiren817, your character details will be more complete). I will eventually be adding these extra details to all characters, but it is an extremely time consuming process and, at this point, I'm resigned to making this a more gradual process.

In the meantime, two requests:
  1. Can you each please review the information for your character? The topic is locked (I think I might literally cry if anything happened to it), so point out any errors here in the OOC thread. If everything looks good, please provide that confirmation as well. ravenn4544 and BearSiren817, the more information for your characters can be found
  2. I would also like each group to begin discussing group tactics (e.g. marching orders, sleeping orders, etc...).

While not actually so, for all intents and purposes, I am considering the game to be officially in progress. Feel free to begin using this OOC thread instead of the one set up for pregame discussions.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#4 Post by Scott308 »

My character info looks good. However, looking at the other characters' general race/class stats, I noticed for the elf fighter, you have him listed as d8 instead of d10 for HD. Also, as an elf he has Darkvision. I didn't catch any other general errors and can't speak to character specific details.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#5 Post by dmw71 »

Scott308 wrote:I noticed for the elf fighter, you have him listed as d8 instead of d10 for HD. Also, as an elf he has Darkvision.
Thanks for checking. I have fixed the two errors on Gerrin's elven fighter.
-- Project --
-- DM --

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by drpete »

There's a strange feature that the ones you completed seem to have gender/alignment in a different order than the others.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#7 Post by dmw71 »

drpete wrote:There's a strange feature that the ones you completed seem to have gender/alignment in a different order than the others.
That doesn't surprise me. Lol

I added the gender field late and had a feeling I copied it into the wrong position a couple of times. I'll go back and clean that up.

Thanks!
-- Project --
-- DM --

BearSiren817
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#8 Post by BearSiren817 »

My AC is 14 HP 9
Azalea, 1st level Rogue, Dave’s Urban Campaign

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#9 Post by dmw71 »

drpete wrote:There's a strange feature that the ones you completed seem to have gender/alignment in a different order than the others.
This has been fixed.
BearSiren817 wrote:My AC is 14 HP 9
I might be losing my mind, but I think I'm pretty sure that's what I have:
  • BearSiren817 | Dr. Catarina Jones | Tabaxi | Rogue (1) | Alignment: Chaotic Neutral | Gender: Female | HD: 1 (1d8) | HP: 9 | AC: 14 | SP: 30' (Climb: 20') | Initiative: +3 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: No
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Rex »

Strega looks good to me.

BearSiren817
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#11 Post by BearSiren817 »

Oops yep looks good
Azalea, 1st level Rogue, Dave’s Urban Campaign

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Monsieur Rose »

So I have a question about the Tabaxi claws. Can they be used to dual wield? Can Tabaxi attack with one claw, then with the other as a bonus action?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#13 Post by dmw71 »

Monsieur Rose wrote:So I have a question about the Tabaxi claws. Can they be used to dual wield? Can Tabaxi attack with one claw, then with the other as a bonus action?
Interesting question. I did a bit of search and found this Tweet from Jeremy Crawford:
@[b][url=https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/795672593097375745]JeremyECrawford[/url][/b] wrote:"Check out the rule for two-weapon fighting (PH, 195). It relies on weapons that have the light property, which unarmed strikes lack. #DnD"
It kind of makes sense that the 'light' property should apply to a natural weapon, but I'm also trying to play this game rules-as-written and avoid creating too many exceptions.

Let me think on this one.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308

#14 Post by Scott308 »

No. The description of the Tabaxi claws calls them "natural weapons, which you can use to make unarmed strikes."

This does not satisfy the requirements for two-weapon fighting: "When you take the Attack action and attack with a light melee weapon that you're holding in one hand, you can use a bonus action to attack with a different light melee weapon that you're holding in the other hand."

Monks have an ability that specifically allows them to make an unarmed attack as a bonus action. Without a specific exception to the rule, both attacks must be made with light melee weapons. If you attack with claws, that's the only attack you get. Sorry.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by drpete »

It also seems that if they could attack with 2 claws as a default thing, it would say that...

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#16 Post by dmw71 »

Scott308 wrote:If you attack with claws, that's the only attack you get. Sorry.
I was honestly leaning this way as well.

A quick look at the lion (as a monster) shows they have two attacks:
  1. Bite
  2. Claws
A lion can quite clearly use any (or all) of their four clawed paws when making a claw attack, but they all count as the same attack process and they only get one attack/damage roll.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Not trying to rules lawyer, just ran into an oddity. So, for clarification, tabaxi can attack once holding a dagger, then again with a dagger in the other hand as a bonus action. But they cannot do the same thing with the same hands if they aren't holding daggers. RAW, I know. Just odd. :D

Edited:
If you think about the attack as a whole, then it makes sense. It's not one punch or kick, it's the 6 seconds of bare-knuckle fighting that does damage. Same with the claws.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#18 Post by dmw71 »

Monsieur Rose wrote:Edited:
If you think about the attack as a whole, then it makes sense. It's not one punch or kick, it's the 6 seconds of bare-knuckle fighting that does damage. Same with the claws.
This.

I'm pretty sure making a claw attack is a process, and does not consider each claw individually.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308

#19 Post by Scott308 »

It does seem counterintuitive, but I think looking at it like Monsieur Rose describes makes the most sense.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Rex »

Seems fair and appropriate. If you allowed the claw as a bonus action then everyone wielding a light 1 handed weapon should get a bonus attack with their free hand, may not be the best attack but would seem to be allowed by the same logic.

Return to “Tyranny of Dragons - Group 1 (5e)”