Group 1: OOC I

DM: Dave
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Group 1: OOC I

#201 Post by ravenn4544 »

Maybe you can start a 'Dave's DM Donations' - I'm sure some of us will help :)

For our fearless heroes at the temple - did we get a short or long rest to recover any spells and powers btw?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#202 Post by dmw71 »

ravenn4544 wrote:Maybe you can start a 'Dave's DM Donations' - I'm sure some of us will help :)
Ha, I wish.

But, seriously, I have everything I technically need in Roll20 to continue what I've been doing (I just lose the dynamic lighting and fog of war effects -- which is kind of a big deal, but I'll play around with options to get around that). My investment into Fantasy Grounds will be more calculated than my previous behavior, where I would just splurge. Unless I start actually playing live games, there isn't a lot of sense in my purchasing all the sourcebooks.

The monster books, adventures/modules, and tokens.

Those will be my emphasis, and I'll build gradually.

ravenn4544 wrote:For our fearless heroes at the temple - did we get a short or long rest to recover any spells and powers btw?
No official rest has been taken.

A long rest (8-hours) isn't really an option, unless you want to sleep completely through the raid. A short rest (1-hour) might be possible, but with the group at the front entrance using a battering ram to break in, you strongly doubt the temple will survive for an hour without assistance.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#203 Post by Rex »

Maybe we should try to ambush the patrol group when they are close to the woods and then target the group at the back door so we can get anyone inside out?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#204 Post by dmw71 »

This is a big decision. You guys feel free to take your time and discuss potential strategies.

Once you've settled on a course of action, introduce it in main action thread. I'll move things along again once I know what you're doing.

Feel free to take intermediate steps as well. You don't have to immediately jump right into a fray by attacking one of the groups. If you want someone/everyone to sneak ahead. Feel free (just provide the obvious 'stealth' checks when declaring your intention to do so). From your current position, you can sit and watch the patrol (probably perception, depending upon how you phrase the specific attempt); attempt to look somewhere specific, for something specific (investigation).

Focus on what your character is doing, not the rules. I will decide, based on how you describe what you're doing, how to best handle the request from a game mechanic standpoint.

Strategy talk should be kept here, but any official action you definitely want to take place -- post it in the main action thread.
-- Project --
-- DM --

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#205 Post by drpete »

Strategically, we either kill everyone, or try to avoid some groups while getting the priest out.

If we can, we want to avoid the purple group, or distract them.

Want to wait for the purple group to move around, then take out the weaker guys at the back door? Mages on the humans, fighters on the kobolds (or vice versa)?

Alternatively, we can take out the leader's group... we just don't know how tough he is...

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#206 Post by Monsieur Rose »

I'm assuming since we can see the invaders inside the grounds that the stone wall isn't very tall. So it shouldn't pose either a problem nor complete cover.

I think that because most of us are hurting and some are low on spells we should use subtlety. I like distracting the patrolling party, then attacking the red group. Alternatively, we could just time it so we avoid the patrol and only attack the red group.

Do you think the temple has a secret escape tunnel as well?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#207 Post by dmw71 »

Monsieur Rose wrote:I'm assuming since we can see the invaders inside the grounds that the stone wall isn't very tall. So it shouldn't pose either a problem nor complete cover.
It's like a low, stone fence.

It will provide minimal cover, and would be considered difficult terrain to anyone of size small, but shouldn't be an impediment to movement for anyone of medium size or larger.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Gerrin
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#208 Post by Gerrin »

My vote is hit the front group hard and fast and try and get through the main doors before that patrol comes around.
If I can charm the leader type that will help us out I should think

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#209 Post by drpete »

Front group is fine by me. Who has spell slots left?

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#210 Post by Monsieur Rose »

The front group with the leader that we were expressly told to leave alone because he is too powerful for us? That front group? :D

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#211 Post by Rex »

I don't recall being told to avoid anyone. Strega has cantrips only (Druid Craft and Produce Flame). She can also shape change twice into a forest animal. I could use Druid Craft for a distraction and Produce Flame is my missile weapon.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#212 Post by dmw71 »

Rex wrote:I don't recall being told to avoid anyone.
It was in this post.
dmw71 wrote:...Governor Nighthill gathers the group together to expound upon his request. "It's unlikely any townsfolk will be out by the stream, but any locals you come across should be saved and brought back here, understood?" Once agreement has been made, he stares out between the battlements for a few moments until he spots here. "There," he says, pointing out over the wall and into the crowd. "See the purple cloak?" Sure enough, encircled by at least a dozen guards, the group is able to spot a human-sized figure wearing a long purple cloak with golden embellishments carrying a halberd. "We've been studying them since the invading forces began the assault, and we figure that to be the leader."

"Now, in addition to rescuing any locals, I’d give anything to know what we’re up against, and why. For that, we need a prisoner. A commander, even a low-ranking one, is best -- but I caution you against making an attempt against their leader there. Understood?”
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#213 Post by Rex »

Spoil sport. OK, I think we try for the back door when the patrol is at the opposite side. Cut through the guards as quick as possible and get inside. then we will need to figure out how to get those inside out. Any other ideas?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#214 Post by drpete »

The guards in the back... are they keeping a lookout? They're trying to set the building on fire and are producing a lot of smoke. Can we maybe sneak up on them (once the patrollers go around the other side?)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#215 Post by dmw71 »

drpete wrote:The guards in the back... are they keeping a lookout?
From your current location, you can't tell.

You're welcome to send someone/everyone forward to get a better view (investigation check).
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#216 Post by dmw71 »

In D&D Beyond, I can currently share my content in up to three campaigns. I'm running four.

I'm adding a new player, who will need to create a new character, in the current game of mine where the content sharing is disabled -- so it needs to be turned back on. Unfortunately, it makes the most sense that this game, at least temporarily, be the odd game out.

At least half of you are in one of my other games, so while it's not ideal, you can always jump to the other campaign in a pinch to look something up. Or just ask, and I can easily share with you the links/details for any questions you may have. The Basic Rules which do cover almost everything will still always be available, but I can finagle content sharing between games as needed. For instance, if/when it's time for this group to level up -- content sharing will be back on (and I'll need to turn it off again somewhere else).

It'll be a balancing act, but we'll manage.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#217 Post by dmw71 »

I'm not trying to rush you -- it's a big decision -- but I'm still waiting for a definitive course of action here. The only post made in response to my last update begins with "I think...," so I still need something to go on.
  • Larger group at the front door.
  • Smaller group in the smoke at the back door.
  • Patrol
  • Something else?
-- Project --
-- DM --

Gerrin
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#218 Post by Gerrin »

Since the nasty leader is at the front door, how about following the patrol and then attacking the guys at the back?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#219 Post by dmw71 »

Turned out to be a very busy weekend, and I was barely online. Now it's Sunday night, and when I would normally be starting my updates, I'm about to start watching Game of Thrones.

Then, this upcoming week looks busy for me. Expect this, and all my other games, to maybe lag a bit... probably until Thursday.
-- Project --
-- DM --

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#220 Post by drpete »

dmw71 wrote: ---

Note:
  • drpete, Oskar can't both Attack and Disengage in the same turn as they're both actions, and he only has a single action to take. I processed his attack, but left him in place. If you want him to move (not formally disengage), he can still do that, but he would draw an Opportunity Attack from the orange kobold if he did. Just let me know, and I can adjust before round 2.

---
I think, as a rogue, Oskar can use a "bonus" disengage action, which lets him attack and then jump back out of the way, which was what I was thinking.

Also, can I knock the cultist I attacked unconscious, since we have a secondary mission to get a prisoner? I'm a little confused about who qualifies as a leader... I think we were supposed to get *a* leader, but not *the* leader. Maybe the human cultist would know something?

Return to “Tyranny of Dragons - Group 1 (5e)”