Pregame Discussions

DM: Dave
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Pregame Discussions

#61 Post by dmw71 »

Computer +1 wrote:We may have difficulties with so many exotic character types if we need to deal with people.
A bugbear, a dragonborn and a tabaxi are uncommon and would meet with distrust, no?
I just started to do some cursory reviews of the character sheets on D&D Beyond and noticed this as well.

I'm less concerned with a tabaxi than I am bugbear or half-orc. The dragonborn with (evil) red dragon ancestry scares me quite a bit, too. There are going to sections (plural) of this module that will be extremely challenging for these more exotic types, so I do have genuine concerns.

This is going to be really interesting. :D
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#62 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote:There are going to sections (plural) of this module that will be extremely challenging for these more exotic types, so I do have genuine concerns.
I've been sleeping on this (literally), and don't worry about it. I can make this work.

But, ravenn4544, because it requires such a minimal change, and will be the most difficult to work around, maybe consider switching from a chromatic (evil) to a metallic (good) dragon type for your ancestry.
-- Project --
-- DM --

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by drpete »

Alright... so are we going into this knowing each other, or is it more of a meet situation? Should we figure out how rp split up, and maybe forge a few connections, if we want to start tomorrow?

A suggestion was to split by exotic/traditional. I propose either that or half and half, then either put the good creatures together, or split them up. Next, should one of the parties consist of three dwarves, or should we split them up? :)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#64 Post by dmw71 »

drpete wrote:Alright... so are we going into this knowing each other, or is it more of a meet situation? Should we figure out how rp split up, and maybe forge a few connections, if we want to start tomorrow?
I still want this to be the case (and, in case it isn't obvious, the 'Session 0' thread originally mentioned is this one, the 'Pregame Discussions' topic):
dmw71 wrote:Session Zero
  • All characters will be familiar and comfortable with all other characters to start the game. How the characters met, and the details of these connections, can be detailed as a group in this public 'Session 0' thread, or worked into the background of each character individually. However, because the group will face many significant challenges, I'd like these ties formalized before the game starts in order to ensure a strong sense of camaraderie and loyalty.
However, now that there are (or will be) two group, the members of each group will know each other, but not necessarily the members from the other group. If that makes sense.
drpete wrote:A suggestion was to split by exotic/traditional. I propose either that or half and half, then either put the good creatures together, or split them up. Next, should one of the parties consist of three dwarves, or should we split them up?
This is really for you guys to decide.
-- Project --
-- DM --

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by drpete »

Soooo... are these two groups in the same continuity, or are there two separate games going on? :) Are we racing to see who kills Tiamat a year from now? (j/k)

Alright... here are two proposals for groups:

For both, split up nature folks, rogues and arcane casters.

1) Splitting the good/ evil exotics

Group 1:
Tabaxi Rogue
Human Warlock
Bugbear Barbarian
Dwarf Ranger

Group 2:
Dwarf Rogue
Dragon born Sorcerer
Half Orc Druid
Elf Fighter
Dwarf Monk

2) "Good Exotics" Party/"Evil Exotics" Party
Group 1:
Tabaxi Rogue
Dragon borne Sorcerer
Dwarf Ranger
Dwarf Monk
Elf Fighter

Group 2:
Dwarf Rogue
Bugbear Barbarian
Half Orc Druid
Human Warlock

Any thoughts on either of these groupings? Other suggestions, like do we want to talk about rp styles, as was suggested above?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#66 Post by dmw71 »

drpete wrote:Soooo... are these two groups in the same continuity, or are there two separate games going on? :) Are we racing to see who kills Tiamat a year from now? (j/k)
The background details I fed each player really serve one function -- drive the characters to the town of Greenest.

The way the module is written, the game essentially begins with the party arriving at Greenest. That, I think, will still be the case; the groups will be arriving from different directions (but, it's possible I might have one (but not both) of the groups actually start in Greenest already). Either way, with both groups quickly finding themselves in the same small town, it's likely they can be brought together quickly.

I'm thinking, even with the two groups (and the group members of those groups being friends), there can potentially be some fluidity as there won't be anything stopping the characters from moving between groups. And, technically, there's nothing stopping both groups from coming together and forming one larger group. At least temporarily. Nine is a LARGE number for a single party, though, so I don't think the single party approach will work very well long term.
-- Project --
-- DM --

BearSiren817
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#67 Post by BearSiren817 »

I was thinking about going with one of the backgrounds included with HotDQ. “Every five nights, you have a strange sequence of apocalyptic dreams. The world is destroyed by cold, choking fumes, lightning storms, waves of acid, and horrible fire. Each time, the dream ends with ten evil eyes glaring at you from the darkness. You feel a strange compulsion to travel to Greenest. Perhaps the answer to the riddle of your dreams awaits you there.” So maybe I met up on the way with people on the way or just in Greenest. This sounded perfect for my Tabaxi. I can’t imagine her not needing to uncover the mystery of these dreams and then to stay on that path.
Azalea, 1st level Rogue, Dave’s Urban Campaign

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Rex »

9 seems a lot to handle in 1 group. I haven't figured out how to see everyone else's backstory in D&DBeyond so don't know how they may have a bearing on how we split up the groups. I will not trust the Dragonborn if we are in the same group. My background has me witnessing and being orphaned by a wyvern killing my parents, and I have developed a hatred for dragonkind. It will be tempered if he is metallic as I am NG and a devote follower of Mielikki, but he will need to earn my trust for sure. Perhaps it would make for some good roleplaying as long as Ravenn4544 is OK with it.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by ravenn4544 »

I changed from red to brass ancestry to make things more manageable. I'm okay RP'ing something that like. I'm open for any party configuration - if there is anything to help when we get the wrong spell cast on us that would help - or we're all dead anyway :)

My character is mostly done. Need to update the above and round out some equipment i think.

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#70 Post by Computer +1 »

I am not sure how the backgrounds will all have us being friends. It prolly makes more sense for everyone to know one other party member at least a bit and then for everyone to get used to each other over time.

Its still going to be quite a bit for Dave to juggle, we didnt make it easy with our character choices.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by drpete »

My character, the dwarven rogue, is a well respected artisan/engineer in Dwarven clan circles. He doesn't have an explicit connection to Dragons, but he's Lawful Good, and likely to want to come to the aid of people.

I figure connecting with dwarves might be easy, especially if they took Mason tools. What im not sure about is how to connect with "evil"/"morally gray" non dwarves.

It would be great to hear a bit more about everybody to get a sense of who might connect.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by Rex »

Are there any actually evil characters? Although I am a half-orc I am a druid follower of Mielikki, that will be obvious quickly to anyone paying attention. A combination that can not be evil, neutral at worst. Not everyone will know that of course but the ranger would for sure and anyone else with religion I would think would know it. A brass dragon draconborn would most likely be perceived as good, neutral at worst, even if I will be reluctant to trust them. I read the description of the Tabaxi and based on that I think most would assume they are neutral, basically self serving. I would certainly be opposed to singling out the bugbear, and would at least make sure he gets a fair shake, I am sure she has seem some negativity based on being a half-orc so would want to make sure the bugbear would at least have a chance to prove himself.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#73 Post by dmw71 »

Here is some analysis to aide in your decision:

Alignment Breakdown
Lawful Good: 3 ( ravenn4544, drpete, Computer +1 )
Neutral Good: 3 ( GreyWolfVT, Rex, Scott308 )
Chaotic Good: 2 ( Pulpatoon, Gerrin )
Chaotic Neutral: 1 ( BearSiren817 )
  • Note: There are no evil characters.
Racial Breakdown
Dwarf: 3 ( GreyWolfVT, Pulpatoon, drpete )
Elf: 1 ( Gerrin )
Human: 2 ( Computer +1, Scott308 )
Dragonborn: 1 ( ravenn4544) (Note: Brass)
Half-Orc: 1 ( Rex )
Tabaxi: 1 ( BearSiren817 )
  • Note: There are no Halfling, Gnome, Half-Elf, or Tiefling characters.
Class Breakdown
Cleric: 1 ( Scott308 )
Druid: 1 ( Rex )
Fighter: 1 ( Gerrin )
Monk: 1 ( Pulpatoon )
Ranger: 1 ( GreyWolfVT,
Rogue: 2 ( BearSiren817, drpete )
Sorcerer: 1 ( ravenn4544 )
Warlock: 1 ( Computer +1 )
  • Note: There are no Barbarian, Bard, Paladin, or Wizard

Character Snapshots
Player: BearSiren817
  • Character: Dr Catarina Jones
    Race: Tabaxi
    Class: Rogue
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Player: Computer +1
  • Character: Urth Stormwind
    Race: Human
    Class: Warlock
    Alignment: Lawful Good
Player: drpete
  • Character: Oskar Loderr
    Race: Dwarf (Mountain)
    Class: Rogue
Player: Gerrin
  • Character: Tannaris Vethykos
    Race: Elf (High)
    Class: Fighter
    Alignment: Chaotic Good
Player: GreyWolfVT
  • Character: Grimbul Graybeard
    Race: Dwarf (Hill)
    Class: Ranger
    Alignment: Neutral Good
Player: Pulpatoon
  • Character: KAN-DEMIR
    Race: Dwarf (Hill)
    Class: Monk
    Alignment: Chaotic Good
Player: ravenn4544
  • Character: Brenzavur Fyrebrand
    Race: Dragonborn (Brass)
    Class: Sorcerer
Player: Rex
  • Character: Strega “the Pale”
    Race: Half-Orc
    Class: Druid
Player: Scott308
  • Character: Dureau Sathaos
    Race: Human
    Class: Cleric
Last edited by dmw71 on Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edit: Scott changed from barbarian to cleric.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#74 Post by dmw71 »

The chaotic barbarian/neutral cleric swap kind of blows this out of the water...
Just throwing this out there, but there seems to be a nice divide along the alignment scale:

Group 1: Good (Note: Probably a bit too squishy, but they do have the extra character.)
  • Alignment: Lawful Good, Neutral Good
  • Races: Dragonborn, Dwarf, Half-Orc, Human
  • Classes: Druid, Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer, Warlock
Group 2: Chaos!: (Note: This group looks like a wrecking machine.)
  • Alignment: Chaotic Good, Chaotic Neutral
  • Races: Bugbear, Dwarf, Elf, Tabaxi
  • Classes: Barbarian, Fighter, Monk, Rogue

Maybe swapping one of the neutral good characters for a chaotic good character will even things out a bit?
For as useful as a barbarian is, a cleric might even be more useful (especially when the party didn't otherwise have one).
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#75 Post by Scott308 »

To make things easier on everyone, I now have a human cleric. I kept the bugbear in the campaign for the time being as unassigned because I think I'll put him on paper and play him as an AL character.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#76 Post by Scott308 »

Still need to tweak inventory and spells, but I've gotta head to work.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by ravenn4544 »

If you need some guidance on 5e character selection:

https://i.redd.it/yabfu6dk6e721.png

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#78 Post by dmw71 »

ravenn4544 wrote:If you need some guidance on 5e character selection:

https://i.redd.it/yabfu6dk6e721.png
:lol:

That's pretty awesome.
-- Project --
-- DM --

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by drpete »

Alright, so let's take another stab at it...

Theoretically, each group should take one from column A, one from Column B:

LG Dwarf Rogue/CN Tabaxi Rogue
LG Human Warlock/LG Dragonborn Sorcerer
NG Half Orc Druid/N Human Cleric

These guys are more flexible, and should probably be divided semi evenly. Maybe an argument for separating ranger and druid to give both groups that expertise.

CG Dwarf Monk/NG Dwarf Ranger/CG Elf Fighter

So, for vaguely rp reasons, what happens if we keep the dwarves together and give each group one "exotic" member.

Group 1:
LG Dwarf Rogue
CG Dwarf Monk
NG Dwarf Ranger
LG Dragonborn Sorcerer
N Human Cleric

Group 2:
CN Tabaxi Rogue
NG Half Orc Druid
LG Human Warlock
CG Elf Fighter

This followed from just those rules. Dunno if the groups "work" though...

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by drpete »

Not specifying with the dwarves, but yes with the splitting of the exotics... and trying to evenly split combat types.

Group 1:
LG Dwarf Rogue
LG Dragonborn Sorcerer

Group 2:
CN Tabaxi Rogue
LG Human Warlock

Option A
NG Half Orc Druid
CG Dwarf Monk *
CG Elf Fighter *

Option B
NG Dwarf Ranger
N Human Cleric

* Put the monk and elf opposite the ranger and cleric as "combat" oriented, otherwise A/B are to split divine and nature strength characters

Return to “Tyranny of Dragons - Group 1 (5e)”