[007] Lady Alicia's Yacht - The Kiara Surabi

ffilz
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

[007] Lady Alicia's Yacht - The Kiara Surabi

#1 Post by ffilz »

I have taken the liberty of starting a new campaign document for the Kiara Surabi:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aLn ... sp=sharing

Lady Alicia welcomes you aboard the Kiara Surabi. There is a nicely appointed lounge. Sara is familiar with this class of ship. The lounge is a bit more cramped than the usual Scout version, however, the quality of the furnishings and finishes are way above anything she has seen in the Scout service, with real wood paneling and real leather furniture. Also there to greet you are the Dames Harper and Ananya, members of Lady Alicia's household.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: [007] Lady Alicia's Yacht - The Kiara Surabi

#2 Post by joertexas »

ffilz wrote:I have taken the liberty of starting a new campaign document for the Kiara Surabi:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aLn ... sp=sharing

Lady Alicia welcomes you aboard the Kiara Surabi. There is a nicely appointed lounge. Sara is familiar with this class of ship. The lounge is a bit more cramped than the usual Scout version, however, the quality of the furnishings and finishes are way above anything she has seen in the Scout service, with real wood paneling and real leather furniture. Also there to greet you are the Dames Harper and Ananya, members of Lady Alicia's household.
As they walked up to the ship, Vee had uttered a low whistle as she took in the ship's custom paint scheme and general cleanliness. "Now, that's something you don't see every day." She'd held any further commentary, and stayed close to Foix as a proper vassal/consort/girlfriend should. She carried herself well in her formal clothes thanks to her experience as a ship's officer.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Tiglath »

When all are ready to go in Foix formally greets Lady Alicia and Dames Harper and Ananya.

He then continues with “May I introduce my companions?” He presents each crew member to Lady Alicia announcing them in turn.

He introduces Vee first “Lady Anevay, Knight of House Foix”.

Then, as he turns to introduce her, Foix winks at Sara and announces her as “Captain Sara Kelley, my most accomplished pilot”.

As he turns to Ana she notices a livid bruise starting to colour on Foix’s neck. It is currently barely concealed by the collar of his dolman jacket. In non-noble circles it would no doubt be described as a “hickey”. “It is my great pleasure to introduce Général Anastasia Jones, Saviour of Hessia”.

He then introduces “Colonel Aarav Chu, my stalwart companion and Monsieur Grimaud, my peerless chef”.
Player: Jonathan/Tiglath
Sigrun Volsung, 9B7886, Lt Commander, 3 terms, age 31
Gun Cbt 3 (Rifle 2, Pistol 1), Melee Cbt 1 (Axe), Pilot 1,
Gunnery 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1, Recon 1,
Electronics 0, Grav Vehicle 0
Enemy: Imperial Navy (Lunion) Ine Givar(?)

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#4 Post by Ramona »

The whole Soc 3 thing is kind of sticking in my craw, Ana should probably be way less culturally sophisticated than I’ve been portraying her. It’s not that she doesn’t know how to pretend to be civilized for short periods of time it’s that she finds it increasingly difficult as time goes by. She probably has an accent too, and with a Soc of 3 it’s not a pleasant or cute one.

Ana bows, curtsies, then bows again when introduced to Lady Alicia, “Your ladyship,” she said with an awkward smile.

During the times they had known one another Foix had, despite his noble background, always been either a subordinate or an equal, never a lord, merely other soldier. Lady Alicia was something else entirely. Ana had taken measures over the years to insulate herself from the Imperial aristocracy, a carefully scheduled planner that limited her time or an attractive lieutenant who could carefully usher her forward, there would be no avoiding it here.

She clicked the guard of her blade repeatedly looking about the lounge, “Väga kena,” she mutteres under her breath, “tunneb imelikku, nii väljamõeldud.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by ffilz »

Ramona wrote:The whole Soc 3 thing is kind of sticking in my craw, Ana should probably be way less culturally sophisticated than I’ve been portraying her. It’s not that she doesn’t know how to pretend to be civilized for short periods of time it’s that she finds it increasingly difficult as time goes by. She probably has an accent too, and with a Soc of 3 it’s not a pleasant or cute one.

Ana bows, curtsies, then bows again when introduced to Lady Alicia, “Your ladyship,” she said with an awkward smile.

During the times they had known one another Foix had, despite his noble background, always been either a subordinate or an equal, never a lord, merely other soldier. Lady Alicia was something else entirely. Ana had taken measures over the years to insulate herself from the Imperial aristocracy, a carefully scheduled planner that limited her time or an attractive lieutenant who could carefully usher her forward, there would be no avoiding it here.

She clicked the guard of her blade repeatedly looking about the lounge, “Väga kena,” she mutteres under her breath, “tunneb imelikku, nii väljamõeldud.
Well, Social 3 might not necessarily be immediately visible/audible, but as soon as you drop some information, or someone takes a close look at your ID or something, and realizes, "Oh, you're from THERE..." And everything goes downhill fast.

Frank
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Tiglath »

Foix wanders over to Ana and says with a smile "Relax, mon Général, and enjoy a drink from a ridiculously small glass! Grimaud and I will guide you".

Foix never used his "noble rank" in the Legion and so was always simply "Foix".

He appears to be deliberately trying to make things easy for everyone but concentrates his efforts on assisting Vee and Ana. As ever Grimaud seems to act as his accomplice "hovering" effortlessly in peripheral vision to give cues should a dilemma of etiquette arise.

(OOC: As a historic precedent for low Soc Generals look at Napoleonic French Marshals. These guys were nearly all low Soc but were superb soldiers and garnered enough loot and wore enough bling to become nobility even when the French monarchy was restored!).

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by joertexas »

Tiglath wrote:He appears to be deliberately trying to make things easy for everyone but concentrates his efforts on assisting Vee and Ana. As ever Grimaud seems to act as his accomplice "hovering" effortlessly in peripheral vision to give cues should a dilemma of etiquette arise.
Vee does her best to be civil and professional, though her accent gives her away as a space dog to anyone who has been aboard a commercial Imperial ship. She spends a few clock cycles kicking herself mentally for not quizzing Gauvain more closely about what he expected of her. Still, the tall noble is attentive and kind to her, and she catches a measuring look or two from some of the guests. She is glad he is taller than her own somewhat lofty centimeters, and that her dress is cut to make her appear slimmer, or at least less of what her mother termed as 'sturdy'.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#8 Post by Ramona »

Tiglath wrote:Foix wanders over to Ana and says with a smile "Relax, mon Général, and enjoy a drink from a ridiculously small glass! Grimaud and I will guide you".

Foix never used his "noble rank" in the Legion and so was always simply "Foix".
Ana looks at Foix and frowns, “En kråka är aldrig rädd,” she says seriously waving a finger at him, “aldrig.

She takes a sip of the drink from the tiny glass, “It’s very sweet,” she whispers, “I think it is syrup.

lenusmars
Guide
Guide

#9 Post by lenusmars »

Tiglath wrote:Then, as he turns to introduce her, Foix winks at Sara and announces her as “Captain Sara Kelley, my most accomplished pilot”.
Sara, who has been wide-eyed in pleasant curiosity, appreciating the blinged out safari ship along with Vee, smiles sunnily when introduced Lady Alicia and the ladies of her household, after giving Foix an amused shake of the head at his introduction. She looks elegant in her formal clothes, and about the size of a paperweight next to the rest of the crew.

She gives them all a cheerful little wave, before remembering herself and attempting a slightly clumsy curtsey. Planetary gravity and complicated shoes aren't her friends.
Ramona wrote:Ana looks at Foix and frowns, “En kråka är aldrig rädd,” she says seriously waving a finger at him, “aldrig.”

She takes a sip of the drink from the tiny glass, “It’s very sweet,” she whispers, “I think it is syrup.”
"Not as sweet as you." Sara says definitively, sliding her arm around Ana's, then squeezing, it, touching her cheek to Ana's bicep for a moment. "It's okay honey-eyes," she says, looking up at Ana, a smile playing around her glossy lips. "I won't let them hurt you." She looks at Foix with a certain amount of glee as she gestures around them. "This is a hell of a ship!"

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#10 Post by Ramona »

lenusmars wrote:
Ramona wrote:Ana looks at Foix and frowns, “En kråka är aldrig rädd,” she says seriously waving a finger at him, “aldrig.”

She takes a sip of the drink from the tiny glass, “It’s very sweet,” she whispers, “I think it is syrup.”
"Not as sweet as you." Sara says definitively, sliding her arm around Ana's, then squeezing, it, touching her cheek to Ana's bicep for a moment. "It's okay honey-eyes," she says, looking up at Ana, a smile playing around her glossy lips. "I won't let them hurt you." She looks at Foix with a certain amount of glee as she gestures around them. "This is a hell of a ship!"
Ana looks at Sara and smiles, “I am not worried about them hurting me, I am concerned that I’ll say or do something stupid in front of the royal family.

From the time of my very first command I’ve always has some well mannered, attractive young lieutenant running interference between me and whatever local noble wanted into my office, nothing but trouble. My son Huxley needs a battlefield promotion and a special dispensation for time off to work on his squash skills.” Ana stops suddenly realizing she’s talking louder than intended and that the room is awkwardly quiet.

They’re looking at me right now aren’t they?” She whispers to Sara without looking behind her.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Tiglath »

Ramona wrote:Ana looks at Foix and frowns, “En kråka är aldrig rädd,” she says seriously waving a finger at him, “aldrig.

She takes a sip of the drink from the tiny glass, “It’s very sweet,” she whispers, “I think it is syrup.
As a guest wanders past Foix decides “How kind of you to say so General!” is an appropriate response. He adds “The sweet stuff in the little glasses is sherry – strong wine. The green minty one” he anxiously checks none of his company are drinking any “is absinthe. Stay off it unless you want to wake up in the capture tank!”
lenusmars wrote: She looks at Foix with a certain amount of glee as she gestures around them. "This is a hell of a ship!"
Foix smiles at Sara “It is - enjoy it! He asks "Can you fly this type? I may have given the impression that you can …” He then lowers his voice and smiles again “Please try to help Ana “embrace the alien” - you have the training and mindset for it. Remind her that she’s a lot scarier than they are!”

As Foix moves away Grimaud loyally steps in keeping a watchful eye on Ana he says “Miss Sara - you are elegance itself!”

Continuing to work the room Foix next talks to Vee. Opening loudly with “Are you enjoying the company Lady Anevay? The ship is nicely appointed is it not?” He steps in closer and grins “You look radiant in that dress. Alas, I have yet to discover if this vessel has any fitting rooms”. He adjusts the standing collar on his jacket with a fond smile and, looking about the room, adds “They’re really not at all as scary as they seem”.

After receiving an affirmatory nod from Grimaud Foix says lightly “Well, Ana hasn’t killed any of the family – yet and I’ve left it long enough not to appear overly desperate. Let’s go and meet Auntie and ask the question!”

He steers Vee towards Lady Alicia and, after a brief round of re-introductions and pleasantries, asks “Lady Alicia, I have been busy with Legion matters and travelling of late, can you give me any news of the state of affairs at home?”

lenusmars
Guide
Guide

#12 Post by lenusmars »

Ramona wrote: Ana looks at Sara and smiles, “I am not worried about them hurting me, I am concerned that I’ll say or do something stupid in front of the royal family.

From the time of my very first command I’ve always has some well mannered, attractive young lieutenant running interference between me and whatever local noble wanted into my office, nothing but trouble. My son Huxley needs a battlefield promotion and a special dispensation for time off to work on his squash skills.” Ana stops suddenly realizing she’s talking louder than intended and that the room is awkwardly quiet.

They’re looking at me right now aren’t they?” She whispers to Sara without looking behind her.
Sara leans in and says in a low voice with a sultry edge "Just at your butt, sweetie. And really, who can blame them. It's magnificent." She straightens up. "And I wouldn't worry too much. I think these folks like to have the distinctions of class preserved, you know?
Tiglath wrote:Foix smiles at Sara “It is - enjoy it! He asks "Can you fly this type? I may have given the impression that you can …”He then lowers his voice and smiles again“Please try to help Ana “embrace the alien” - you have the training and mindset for it. Remind her that she’s a lot scarier than they are!”

As Foix moves away Grimaud loyally steps in keeping a watchful eye on Ana he says “Miss Sara - you are elegance itself!”
"I can fly pretty much anything, but this ship? If it's not all chrome... which I'm pretty sure it isn't, it would be a real pleasure." She smiles. "And I'll do my best."

Sara smiles at Grimaud's compliment. "Aw... thanks! You're very sweet." She lets go of Ana long enough to kiss Grimaud lightly on the cheek. She takes Ana's arm again and encourages her to look around and observe Foix's interaction with Lady Alicia.

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#13 Post by Ramona »

lenusmars wrote:Sara leans in and says in a low voice with a sultry edge "Just at your butt, sweetie. And really, who can blame them. It's magnificent." She straightens up. "And I wouldn't worry too much. I think these folks like to have the distinctions of class preserved, you know?
And now I’m self conscious about my ass,” Ana looks at Sara, “thanks for that. No, I don’t think the proper word is magnifique.

She drains the Sherry and pours another glass, “I don’t understand... no, I don’t think there is a difference... I suppose you’re right, it doesn’t matter.

Ana puts a hand in her jacket pocket and runs a finger over the small crystal from Shedezar, the smooth cool surface feels somehow reassuring.

I need air,” Ana says quietly, “feeling weird.
Last edited by Ramona on Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Tiglath »

lenusmars wrote:"I can fly pretty much anything, but this ship? If it's not all chrome... which I'm pretty sure it isn't, it would be a real pleasure." She smiles. "And I'll do my best."
Foix smiles back and replies “Your best will be more than enough! You will be more familiar with the type than I but I understand, as a military vessel, that they are much more interesting than a trader. I understand that in atmosphere they actually “fly” due to the wing configuration. They are capable enough that the House has used them as Intruder Transports”.

Grimaud blushes awkwardly when Sara kisses him but nevertheless seems delighted that she was pleased with his compliment.

lenusmars
Guide
Guide

#15 Post by lenusmars »

Ramona wrote:
lenusmars wrote:Sara leans in and says in a low voice with a sultry edge "Just at your butt, sweetie. And really, who can blame them. It's magnificent." She straightens up. "And I wouldn't worry too much. I think these folks like to have the distinctions of class preserved, you know?
And now I’m self conscious about my ass,” Ana looks at Sara, “thanks for that. No, I don’t think the proper word is magnifique.

She drains the Sherry and pours another glass, “I don’t understand... no, I don’t think there is a difference... I suppose you’re right, it doesn’t matter.
Sara gives a tiny sigh and pouts just slightly, disappointed that her flirting doesn't seem to be helping Ana any. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be dismissive." She glances around the ship again, at the people. "To be fair, I don't really get it either. Nobility I mean." She says quietly. "I mean... I grew up in a commune with a hardcore democracy, so the whole... aristocracy thing is just weird to me. And, well, it's bitten me before." Sara trails off, her eyes shadowing for a moment.
Ana puts a hand in her jacket pocket and runs a finger over the small crystal from Shedezar, the smooth cool surface feels somehow reassuring.

I need air,” Ana says quietly, “feeling weird.
Sara breaks from her thoughts and looks up into Ana's eyes again. "Okay. Should I come with you? Or... well how can I help?"

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#16 Post by Ramona »

lenusmars wrote:Sara gives a tiny sigh and pouts just slightly, disappointed that her flirting doesn't seem to be helping Ana any. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be dismissive." She glances around the ship again, at the people. "To be fair, I don't really get it either. Nobility I mean." She says quietly. "I mean... I grew up in a commune with a hardcore democracy, so the whole... aristocracy thing is just weird to me. And, well, it's bitten me before." Sara trails off, her eyes shadowing for a moment.
I don’t take flirting and compliments well, to many years of being: Dustrat, Flatrack, Rook, Sleeper,” Ana counts the names off on her fingers, “to many years of being the butt of a million derogatory rumours and the trophy notch that every soldier wanted to claim.

She shakes her head and smiles at Sara, “I’m just really bad at, well anything that doesn’t involve high explosives or airstrikes.
Sara breaks from her thoughts and looks up into Ana's eyes again. "Okay. Should I come with you? Or... well how can I help?"
We can make a quick recce of the parimeter and you can distract me with exciting tales of your commune such that I might forget my troubles. Oh, also what the devil is a commune?

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by joertexas »

Vee watches with carefully concealed approval as Sara and Ana interact with each other. She leans close to Gauvain when they have a little space to speak. "I think they are good for each other," she says in a low voice pitched for only his ears.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by ffilz »

Tiglath wrote:He steers Vee towards Lady Alicia and, after a brief round of re-introductions and pleasantries, asks “Lady Alicia, I have been busy with Legion matters and travelling of late, can you give me any news of the state of affairs at home?”
Ah, I have not been back towards home for some time. You know I hate all the family politics. I'm here to investigate a ruin on the far side of the planet from the star port. We put in here for formalities, but intend to lift in two days to go round backside. The ruin is in a deep valley and we are hoping it is somewhat protected from the nastiness of radioactivity here. Unfortunately when our plans became clear to the crew just before we left Damkina, some of our crew got scared and left and we didn't have time to replace them. I was also hoping to find some recruits here, and finding a friendly family face is quite a pleasure. You don't know anyone skilled with Gunnery do you?

The lady seems quite pleased that Grimaud is taking care of everyone so well.

I see Grimaud attends you as always, he is such a delight.

BTW, I am going to take a sneaky tack due to the organization of the skills in 1977 Book 1.. Gunnery is listed under the Weapon Expertise section, and as such, all PCs have Gunnery-0! Which also means a self improvement program can be used to increase it to 1... Yea, pretty sneaky, but there you go...

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Tiglath »

ffilz wrote:I see Grimaud attends you as always, he is such a delight.
Foix smiles gratefully and replies "Yes, I am very lucky that he continues to put up with me".

Foix seems unsurprised by Lady Alicia's admission of disinterest in House politics and goes on to explain "Myself and Lady Anevay are currently travelling incognito until I have heard more of some rumours from home. My comrades and I form the crew of a merchantman currently put in at Arthiop to develop new markets and to conduct some repairs. It may well be that we could fill your crew vacancies and I’m sure we can find you a gunner. I can personally vouch for everyone but they will all make up their own minds on the matter. However, I will assist you of course. Lady Anevay is a Knight of the House and so may share a similar view?”

Making the last a question Foix turns to Vee and as Lady Alicia’s gaze turns likewise he gives Vee an emphatic nod.

Foix pauses while Vee interacts with Lady Alicia and then says “The House usually employs entirely stalwart sorts as ship’s crew”. He asks “Auntie, would there be any specific reason they chose another path rather than join your expedition?”

He continues with a fond smile for his Aunt “You know how your curiosity for matters ancient tends to let you focus less on mundane concerns – those that may trouble the minds of more practical types? Well then, would there be a possibility of any of these broad categories applying as risk factors on this current expedition: pestilence, war, famine, and death?”

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by ffilz »

Tiglath wrote:Foix seems unsurprised by Lady Alicia's admission of disinterest in House politics.
ffilz wrote:I see Grimaud attends you as always, he is such a delight.
Foix smiles gratefully and replies "Yes, I am very lucky that he continues to put up with me".

He explains "Myself and Lady Anevay are currently travelling incognito until I have heard more of some rumours from home. My comrades and I form the crew of a merchantman currently put in at Arthiop to develop new markets and to conduct some repairs. It may well be that we could fill your crew vacancies and I’m sure we can find you a gunner. I can personally vouch for everyone but they will all make up their own minds on the matter. However, I will assist you of course. Lady Anevay is a Knight of the House and so may share a similar view?”

Making the last a question Foix turns to Vee and as Lady Alicia’s gaze turns likewise he gives Vee an emphatic nod.

Foix pauses while Vee interacts with Lady Alicia and then says “The House usually employs entirely stalwart sorts as ship’s crew”. He asks “Auntie, would there be any specific reason they chose another path rather than join your expedition?”

He continues with a fond smile for his Aunt “You know how your curiosity for matters ancient tends to let you focus less on mundane concerns – those that may trouble the minds of more practical types? Well then, would there be a possibility of any of these broad categories applying as risk factors on this current expedition: pestilence, war, famine, and death?”
Well, I'm sure I'm ignoring some risk or another, you know me... Yet somehow everything always seems to work out ok... As to those who abandoned ship, you know my ability to attract house regulars is not very good, so I'm always relying on random thugs and mercenaries. I think they didn't like my assurance about the radioactivity... Well, if you have found some stalwarts, I would happily take anyone you recommend who is interested.

Return to “Wine Dark Rift (Classic Traveller)”