In Game Thread

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

Re: In Game Thread

#641 Post by Bhart »

Vargr1105 wrote:ooc: do the black skinned invaders look human? Or do they look like humanoids? Or are the frescoes to abstract or stylized to tell?
Most likely human. They lack the prominent facial features of humanoids (goblin/orc kin) like large canine teeth,short pug noses, and heavy brow ridges.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#642 Post by Vargr1105 »

Bhart wrote:
Vargr1105 wrote:ooc: do the black skinned invaders look human? Or do they look like humanoids? Or are the frescoes to abstract or stylized to tell?
Most likely human. They lack the prominent facial features of humanoids (goblin/orc kin) like large canine teeth,short pug noses, and heavy brow ridges.
ooc: blimey! those are the Touv people! I did not know there were references to them in 1E Greyhawk. I thought they'd been invented in late AD&D2nd. I had always considered them non-canon because of it and assumed they were simply an offshoot of the late-era TSR political correct stance.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#643 Post by max_vale »

OOC: Actually, there's a fair bit of evidence to think that Gary considered the Flan to be an African/Aborigine-esque people in his home Greyhawk campaign (as opposed to the TSR version of Greyhawk); and while I and some others consider the Flan to be more Native American in nature while others take them as Celtic; yet another legit point of view is that of Rob Kuntz (Gary's co-DM); in that NONE of the ethnic groups of Greyhawk really has a real-world parrallel. Also; while I know many; if not most; Greyhawk fans like the 1E stuff better; personally I think the 2E stuff; particualry "From the Ashes" is quite probably the best campaign setting TSR ever produced; but I'm well aware that I'm pretty much on my own (or at least VERY SLIGHTLY populated) island. :)

One of the things I always did enjoy about Gary though was his (and his immediate friends/family) interest in adding in 'non traditional' elements in their home role-playing games. They had characters take trips to 'Barsoom'; 'China'; and many other 'exotic' locales; many of which would later become modified 'cannon' places such as this module or 'Oriental Adventures' (which would later become a part of Forgotten Realms). To me; as opposed to being a "Politically Correct" move; the later 2E Greyhawk authors just continued the trend with the creation of the Touv in the Scarlet Brotherhood sourcebook; which also flushed out the Olman peoples. Personally; it's something I really like and enjoy far more than the much-more popular movements towards more draconic and/or demonic playable races and 'steam-powered' flavor that much of the D&D and similiar RPGs have taken too over the past decade; but to each their own. :)

Anyway; sorry for getting off point!

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#644 Post by onlyme »

Sterling will look around the room, hoping a magic sword will provide enough light to show them the exit.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#645 Post by Bhart »

The party moves further down the frescoed hall. About halfway Cirdan's keen senses reveal the presence of a door concealed in the north wall, its edges cleverly hidden in the fresco.

Further to the west the hall comes to an archway carved to resemble entwined snakes. Beyond the archway, the hall narrows and continues on into the darkness.
Attachments
tomoachan.png
tomoachan.png (236.52 KiB) Viewed 1183 times

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#646 Post by tooleychris »

Heather takes a moment to catch her breath and nods to Xam.
"That be some fine pig stricken you did back yonder. My thanks. What you thinkin that was anyhow? Some kinda water snake?"

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#647 Post by onlyme »

Sterling notices the clever discovery of the secret door.

My bet is that they would hide the right way and leave open the wrong way out of here. Seems to be a pattern. Let's check for traps and go through?
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#648 Post by max_vale »

Xam nods to Heather in thanks for her compliment on his shooting and then shrugs in response to her question; "I'm not really sure....but I'm glad it didn't make a meal out of you or any of the rest of us"; he responds awkwardly in his typical fumbling manner. Coughing a bit uncomfortably at his inability to really interact with anyone; he keeps up an alert watch around the corridor; particularly behind and above the party....

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#649 Post by Bhart »

You find no traps on the door. Beyond it you find a hallway which is dimly lit by a soft glow that seems to come from nowhere.

The corridor is decorated with sculptures mounted on the walls. There are two corridors branching off from this main hall; a narrow one to the east and another to the west. The statuary that adorns the walls consists of four sculpted heads of animals. Opposite the eastern passage is the stylized head of a coyote, while opposite the western hall is the head of a grinning bear. Closest to you on the east wall is the head of a bison. The last sculpture at the end of the corridor appears to be the head of an eagle with it's beak open. Something clasped in the beak glitters and shines.
Attachments
tomoachan.png
tomoachan.png (150.15 KiB) Viewed 1143 times
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (302.04 KiB) Viewed 1143 times

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#650 Post by onlyme »

Sterling will look around, and carefully check out the passageway, sword in hand.

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#651 Post by tooleychris »

Cross bow in hand, Heather watches the corridor.

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#652 Post by Bhart »

As Stirling draws closer to the Eagle head he can see than the glittering object held in it's beak is a gold bracelet.
Attachments
tomoachan.png
tomoachan.png (183.67 KiB) Viewed 1116 times

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#653 Post by Vargr1105 »

Oiran Erap, lecherous cleric of Fharlanghn

"Be careful up there." Oiran shouts to Stirling.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#654 Post by onlyme »

Sterling answers back.

Understood. I dont trust shiny shimmering things as they can hurt more than than they help. I'm here to get out, not steal from whomever left this.

He keeps looking best he can down the hallways to the side.

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#655 Post by tooleychris »

Heather will carefully make her way up to the east hall intersection and watch the east hall. She peaks down then whispers:
"Ya'all be hearin dat, spirits a da temple? Ain't nobody lookin ta steal yer pretty baubles."

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#656 Post by max_vale »

Xam cracks a rare smile at Heather's mumblings; but continues to take rear-guard position; keeping an arrow nocked and watching forward, sideways, up and down and behind the party as they progress along the corridor....

angelicdoctor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#657 Post by angelicdoctor »

Cirdan walks cautiously and quietly up to the passageway on the right and peers around the corner to see what he could see.

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#658 Post by tooleychris »

Heather snaps back to the here and now, as if she was lost in a day dream.for 6 months
"Wha...? Where'd my mind get ta? I miss anythin? " :D

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#659 Post by Dogma »

Heather's comment snapped Leomar's attention back to the present. He had been thinking of the gold bracelet held in the beak of the eagle head. The others may just want to get out alive, but he preferred to get out alive and rich if possible. But he wasn't gong to admit that he too had been lost in thought and not paying attention to there surrounding.

"Nah, take a look around...nothings changed in ages around here, beautiful." he replied with a wink. "Maybe two ages"

Return to “The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan - 1ed”