Expedition: Halfpint/Into The Woods - 05 Sep 2021

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Expedition: Halfpint/Into The Woods - 05 Sep 2021

#101 Post by Alethan »

Personally, I think forcing a party to make an additional half share to give to a church because the party cleric happens to be of a certain religion is a lot of BS. Wizards don't charge for each spell they cast. Fighters don't charge for swinging their sword. The only player class that has this special cost is a cleric of Baudh.

How come this isn't something we ever have to do when we have an NPC like Florin in our group? He demands a full share, like most other NPCs, that is all.

But if that's what you require, then I won't oppose it. Let's just get on with the game.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#102 Post by Zhym »

I'm on record as thinking the whole thing is silly, counterproductive, and prone to having other classes wonder why they aren't getting paid for their skills. If a Cleric of Baudh won't extend professional courtesy, why should a Ranger of Beith? Should we negotiate what Lug will charge to cure Piers of poison?

Having a "Baudh share" makes somewhat more sense for NPCs. You want to bring an NPC cleric of Baudh along? They need a full share instead of half. But for PCs, we always end up in this sort of conversation.

If we have to have some sort of gold tribute, consider Eruanna and Gwanwyn as cost comparisons. Eruanna just wants "truth," which is basically zero cost except for some role play. Gwanwyn wants blood for blood, which for normal healing means -1 HP to the caster for each healing spell cast. A half share of gold is much more expensive than either, IMO.

As another comparison: Lug can (and did) purchase potions of extra healing for 75gp each. Potions of regular healing can be had for 50gp. Any tithe that ends up being more expensive per heal is a bad deal.

Anyway, that's lots of talk. Here's a proposal: Baudh (via Piers) gets a tithe of 10% off the top of all gold we bring back. Not silver, not platinum, not gems or other valuables, not loot we sell for gold—just found gold. I still think that's too much, but it's a proposal.

And if Piers gets poisoned, Lug can have a quick conversation with him to ask how much Piers thinks his life is worth. Unless you want to set a price in advance.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#103 Post by Jernau35 »

I agree that a half-share or quarter share is too much. I just mentioned it as a proposal to sort out the quickest way to do the math. I really like the idea of tithing whatever the share of gold is. Even 5% is fine. (Or 3% if we find less than X amount, 5% if we find more than X amount.) And if we don't find any gold, how about a nominal 1gp each? That's easy to justify from a role-play perspective: "Went looking for gold. Didn't find any'".

As far as I understand it, these rules are there to stop clerics just turning into healbots, encourage some role-playing, and to extract some kind of sacrifice no matter who does the healing. Even with Eruanna, the player has to sacrifice the time to come up with some kind of story.

I'm still working the process out myself, it's only Piers' third expedition. :)
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#104 Post by Alethan »

10% of all gold (and only gold) recovered sounds fair to me. Especially since it takes a literal approach to the Tribute rule (To receive blessings, Baudh requires that the faithful provide tribute in gold.)...

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

dang. I wish we had thought of that before we went after Scatha. :(

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#106 Post by Jernau35 »

Yeah. Baudh made out like a bandit on that trip. :) / :( / ;)

I think a 10% tithe/donation is a perfect solution. It's literal, as Alethan pointed out, and it's a good yardstick for future expeditions to go by.

Zhym wrote:And if Piers gets poisoned, Lug can have a quick conversation with him to ask how much Piers thinks his life is worth. Unless you want to set a price in advance.
The drawback with this approach is that it makes no real difference to Lug's abilities as a character if he charges or doesn't charge to heal Piers. But if Piers heals Lug for free, then at some point Baudh/the DM is going to punish Piers for not following the tenets of his religion.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by Marullus »

Correct. When you need Lug to wipe out a nest of creatures threatening the town and he refuses to make them extinct, THEN you can have the conversation about HIS religious prohibitions. ;)

Now, go get back IC. :D

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#108 Post by Alethan »

"Together again?" Earc chuckles. "You hardly seem 'together', Blackjack."
He sits down next to the lumberjack and puts a hand on his shoulder, "But it IS good to see you, old friend. I heard you finally killed those two green dragons. I thank you for that. One of these days we'll have to look for their mother..."

He goes on to tell Amistad about attaining a Lordship status and taking over the old kobold tower in addition to Toll's Tower. "I'm going to look into some way I can easily pass between the two. After I help Halfpint here explore HER new territory! Speaking of which..."

He lets off there, silently wondering if the town of Amistad falls under Halfpint's territory and if that means Amistad owes her anything...

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by Starbeard »

I hope everyone's had a good holiday! Thanks for being patient during the spotty off season.

Sidetracking, my two cents…
…easily ignored, since I currently have no PCs who are Baudhites or on expedition with a Baudhite.

Personally I'd be most at home having cleric strictures limited to the cleric himself, or just NPCs. In other words, if the god requires a tithe per adventure, it comes straight out of the cleric PC's pocket, in the same way that paying a personal henchman enough to keep him happy would come out of the master's pocket. If the cleric is an NPC, then they should usually demand the tithe as part of their payment. It's part of the toss up of using NPCs over PCs.

That being said, a literal 10% share of gold pieces found is a tidy workaround. In that case I'd still rather see the fee as optional, with each individual PC improving or diminishing their relational status with Baudh based on their decision to opt in on the tithe. If their Baudh relationship drops to, say, Dubious, then that would indicate a reaction roll each time a Baudh cleric casts a spell on them to see if it takes effect. It still lets players decide what to do with their earnings, and any RP consequences of that are with Baudh, not with the poor cleric player who can't convince them to play along without pissing everyone off. I prefer it when PCs deal with the setting's deities and temples through their own actions, rather than through the actions of other cleric PCs, if that makes sense.
Alethan wrote:"Together again?" Earc chuckles. "You hardly seem 'together', Blackjack."
He sits down next to the lumberjack and puts a hand on his shoulder, "But it IS good to see you, old friend. I heard you finally killed those two green dragons. I thank you for that. One of these days we'll have to look for their mother..."
Blackjack Amistad, scourge of pines and green dragons, shakes his head. "No, I'm afraid those days are gone for me now. I was only ever in this life to get my business started. The lumberyard is making me a wealthy and respectable man. Ma and Pa don't even need to lift a finger now. No, from now on it's the quiet and easy life for me. Besides, I'd have to burn this off before I took on any more dragons!" He laughs and pats his belly, which has already grown ever-so-slightly soft.
Alethan wrote:He goes on to tell Amistad about attaining a Lordship status and taking over the old kobold tower in addition to Toll's Tower. "I'm going to look into some way I can easily pass between the two. After I help Halfpint here explore HER new territory! Speaking of which..."

He lets off there, silently wondering if the town of Amistad falls under Halfpint's territory and if that means Amistad owes her anything...
"What?! Well I'll be. 'Lord Earc'…" He tosses the title around in his head a couple of times. "Has a nice ring to it!"

"And Halfpint here… yeah, I heard she'd be coming up this way for something."
He takes the papers from Halfpint and throws himself into a seat, looking them over with feet kicked up on the tabletop. He seems to go through them only cursorily and with half interest before tossing them back onto the table. "Looks legit to me. Honestly, I've got no idea where this territory begins or ends. You're welcome to all of it as far as I'm concerned, all I ask is that my jacks can keep sending their logs downriver. I never really was the lord of this place anyway, not sure why you need my permission."

With a sudden flourish, Amistad sweeps the letter away and leans forward, doubling his grip on his mug of ale. "But enough of that. Tell me, what are you up here to explore? The pixies? We still haven't found their lair. Or are you off to find Big Ma Dragon? Dragon hunting seems in vogue these days."

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by onlyme »

ok... physically back from vacation. now, just need a month or two to get back mentally...

Halfpint graciously absorbs Armistad's debriefing and answers best she can.

No, no dragons for us at the moment. At least I hope not. Those things are rather mean. I need to survey the land I must now defend. I have asked these brave folks to assist me, assuming there is lost treasure a plenty around, as there generally has been in these parts.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by Starbeard »

"The Vale's been bled dry, since the last of the Demonhole was plugged up. That's why I wanted the logging town here, not a t'ing to disturb us." Seeing your cups empty, Amistad takes it upon himself to gather them all up and stagger over to the barrels, refilling them all to overflowing before serving you another round. The Grizzly Woman and her two ogres eye his free use of the place with prudent stoicism. "The rest of the forest, mind, s'fair game. I bet I could dig up all sorts of goods around here. First I'd take care of them damn pixies and centaurs. They run in on us a couple of times, and lemmetellyou, they don't fight fair. That pixie tree's gotta be out there somewhere…"

Amistad's melancholic fondness for adventure shines through his rapidly slurring speech. The conversation has given him a second wind, and he hammers back the drinks, pouring more for you and encouraging you to keep up. He seems intent on hearing all of your ideas and providing whatever advice he has about the area. "Tell you what. Tomorrow, I'll take you around this humble place, we'll get you outfitted with whatever you need. No, put yer coin away, nobody's gonnersay Blackjack don't take care of his friends!"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by Zhym »

"Whad'ya mean, 'take care of' the pixies and centaurs?" asks Lug pointedly, his eyes narrowing.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#113 Post by Jernau35 »

Piers listens to Amistad's remarks about fighting with pixies and centaurs. I wonder why the creatures that live in the forest don't like the man who's cutting down all the trees...? he thinks to himself, drily. A private war we should do well to avoid getting involved in, methinks.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#114 Post by Alethan »

"I think we might do better to try and get the pixies to our side," Earc replies. "In fact, most of the creatures of the forest might be rallied against the Morlocks and their sleeping darts and evil experiments."

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#115 Post by Karaunios »

Unlike the vicious orcs and goblins, pixies and such creatures don't attack without reason, I believe. Maybe we should find out what's their plight and parlay with them. says Anforthas in a matter-of-factly manner.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#116 Post by onlyme »

Sorry, work has been crazy with new year, and I am still awaiting guidance on a pixie related question. Hopefully will get on track asap...
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#117 Post by Starbeard »

No worries, we're all easing back into it.

Blackjack once again takes to his current mug, clearly perturbed. ‘Take care of’ means whatisays… ‘Take care of’. We ain't ever looked for trouble, but ever oncesawhile we cut a log and pixies come… spewin out like rain, shooting cuss an'… 'n hellfire!" He does his level best to give you an appropriate visualize by flailing arms his arms wildly. "The little bugs're too damn flighty for my loggers. We lost five by now, it’s starting t’demoralize them.

“So far the centaurs are only a problem if we venture too far afield. But of course who's t'know where ‘afield’ is in the forest, right?””

At the suggestion of a diplomatic solution, Blackjack shrugs indifferently and starts jabbing his index finger into Anforthas' chest to accentuate his slurred words. "Can'say I care how, just that it is. But not from me, I'm a too busy man. Too busy. And respeckable." He gets sidetracked and starts to lose himself in his mug again.

You notice the group of loggers nearby have overheard your conversation about the pixies and have begun to grumble amongst themselves. Pointed phrases akin to "No-good bugs," and, "Not after wha' they done to old Leddy," give an indication to the general tack of their dialog.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#118 Post by Zhym »

Lug snorts and rolls his eyes. "Gee, who'da thunk they'd get cranky just cause you're destroying their homes? Ain't no figuring some folks, I guess."

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#119 Post by Jernau35 »

At this point Piers is wondering if they should find out where the pixies are causing all the trouble and just avoid the whole area all together. After experiencing the welcoming committee of ogres at the gate, he's now firmly of the opinion that these folks have have brought the whole mess on themselves.

"No doubt the pixies will find us at some point", he opines. " I can't imagine this forest has too many other bands of folk wandering around in it. I do hope nobody is crass enough to bring an axe along tomorrow".

With his success as a lyricist now firmly established, Piers idly begins to think up a marching song for their walk in the woods.

We like trees!
Trees are good!
We don't need to cut their wood!

Out of respect for the feelings of the mob of drunken, angry, tough-looking loggers, he decides to keep the song to himself for now.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#120 Post by onlyme »

Halfpint listens carefully, and asks Blackjack if he had any boundaries or markings for where his teams were doing their logging.
She then asks him what happened to Leddy.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”