Action Thread #4 - The Marshes

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Action Thread #4 - The Marshes

#62 Post by Vargr1105 »

Day 3 - Late Mid Morning? - The Marshes/The Ash Tree Clearing

As Buzz is late in posting his combat action I will NPC his move for this round.

Malone keeps trying to make the lizard he fights with meet the blade of his sword.

Malone Attack: [1d20] = 11, Shortsword Damage: [1d6+4] = 5+4 = 9

Round 4

Party Initiative: [1d6] = 4, NPC/Monster Initiative: [1d6] = 5

Segments: Lizards 4th, Party 5th

Two lizards keep trying to bite chunks off Stonjuz...

Lizard Attack: [1d20] = 15, Damage: [1d2] = 1
Lizard Attack: [1d20] = 2, Damage: [1d2] = 2

...and one succeeds, gnawing 1 HP off the dwarf. His counterattack fails to make contact with either beast.

The duo of lizards fighting Ogirdor also strike at their enemy...

Lizard Attack: [1d20] = 12, Damage: [1d2] = 2
Lizard Attack: [1d20] = 12, Damage: [1d2] = 1

...with negligible results, as before.

Andrin steps over the body of the critter he slew and jumps forward to assist Ogirdor against his two foes. The half-elf's drudic staff breaks the back of one of the lizards, the creature falls with a bird-like whimper.

While thanking the druid for his assistance Ogirdor plunges his spear into the remaining lizard's gut. The thing hisses in pain and looks worse for wear. Still, it refuses to fall.

Thurinor and his lizard continue their duel.

Lizard Attack: [1d20] = 9, Damage: [1d2] = 2

Through much stabbing and biting and feinting and dodging takes place, neither elf nor reptile manage to land a good blow.

Malone also faces his lone enemy...

Lizard Attack: [1d20] = 4, Damage: [1d2] = 2

...the lizard lunges for a bite and misses. Malone strikes back and cleaves the top of its head in twain with downward sword blow.

Ozborn looks around for the nearest foe to attack...

[1d2] = 1

...and notices Stonjuz nearby, trying to drive off two lizards, could use some aid. With two steps and a sword trust into scaly hide he kills one of the dwarf's attackers.

End of Round 4

3 lizards neutralized this round. There are 3 left. Stonjuz and Ozborn face 1, Andrin and Ogirdor face another and Thurinor is dueling alone with one. Malone is unengaged. Declare actions for Round 5.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#63 Post by Stonjuz »

"That's it lad. Footwork. You got it Malone. Now keep your shoulders square like this..."to hit w/Staff (2 hand): thaco 20 [1d20] = 15, Dmg (s,m) [1d6+2] = 6+2 = 8, Dmg (L) [1d6+2] = 1+2 = 3
"....and you'll be fine........ See?"

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#64 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Thurinor laughs heartily at the exertion of battling a lot of spitting lizards and stabs once again with his short sword. "If they are not creatures of intelligence, as they seem not to be, and if they do not eat us first, we might have one or two for dinner. Of course, I could not feast on a thinking lizard..."

To hit short sword: [1d20+2] = 8+2 = 10 Damage s/m [1d6+1] = 1+1 = 2 Damage L [1d8+1] = 4+1 = 5
"I must lie down where all the ladders start / In the foul rag and bone shop of the heart." —W. B. Yeats, "The Circus Animals' Desertion"

Geert Harfoot, Level 1 Halfling, Spartakos's Borderlands of Lamora Game
Brother Constantine, Level 3 Half-Elf Cleric/Magic-User, Spartakos's Play by Board Game
Former Unseen Servant DM, UK5 Eye of the Serpent

Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#65 Post by Sir Clarence »

Not really wanting to think about eating one of these things, and wondering once more about the ongoing obsessions of some of his comrades with eating, Andrin strikes at the last remaining lizard before him and Ogirdor.

To hit with staff: [1d20] = 16
Damage with staff: [1d6] = 4

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#66 Post by Stonjuz »

"We probably could have avoided this fight, throwing fish, just as a thief throws scraps of meat to avoid a guard dog. It does seem it is hunger that is driving them. Oh, and, I may not eat them at all, but I may carry me gear in two or three of them, after I find me a good leathersmith."

Buzz
Scout
Scout

#67 Post by Buzz »

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#68 Post by zebediah »

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#69 Post by Vargr1105 »

Day 3 - Late Mid Morning? - The Marshes/The Ash Tree Clearing

Ra the Monk is late in posting his combat action but it won't matter anyway.

Round 5

Party Initiative: [1d6] = 2, NPC/Monster Initiative: [1d6] = 5

Segments: Lizards 2nd, Party 5th

The massacre of their companions awakens something within the still-living lizards. As one they bristle, hiss despairingly and run away as fast as they can.

Everyone engaged in melee with the fleeing lizards gets to make their attack at +4 to hit.

Stonjuz finally masters his staff and dispatches his lizard as the thing turns its back on him. The blow is so violent its vibration rushes up the staff and jolt the dwarf up to his teeth.

Andrin likewise slays the lizard he was facing together with Ogirdor with a short sword stab. The poor thing hardly has the chance to complete its turn to star running.

Thurinot's sword blow misses his fleeing lizard by a handspan, the creature bolts away and runs, runs, runs until entering the fern clumps that limit the clearing, being lost to sight. Ogirdor was stepping to aid the elf wizard but arrives well to late to be of any use stopping the fugitive.

Seems like there was one that got away...

End of Round 5

Combat Ends. We are now off round-by-round timing.

The party is standing on the clearing, as before, except the grounds are littered with reptilian bodies. The old ash tree around which the beings were congregating upon the party's arrival stand at its center. All now feel the tiredness from the sudden expenditure of energy during combat.

The party will have to rest for 1 Turn before continuing travel. The clearing looks like as good place as any other.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#70 Post by Stonjuz »

"Feel like they kicked me in the shins. Im gonna heal me-self. Anybody else want to taste o' the doctors medicine?"
cure light wounds [1d8] = 5
"Aturadobenda, Venda-aturado"
Stonjuz looks to the others after tending to his own.
"you ok Turtle...poo?"

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#71 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Thurinor looks around with mock disgust and a wrinkled nose. "On second thought, I will not be eating these creatures." He cleans his face more thoroughly with water from his wineskin, takes a refreshing sip, and also cleans the blade of his sword in a clump of swamp grass after considering using a corner of his cloak. He then pulls out his dagger, eyes Stonjuz, and cuts only a claw and a tooth from the lizard he fell, leaving the spit sac he knows is somewhere just about... (tracing with the dagger point). "Spitters... I am ready to be moving on."
"I must lie down where all the ladders start / In the foul rag and bone shop of the heart." —W. B. Yeats, "The Circus Animals' Desertion"

Brother Constantine, Level 3 Half-Elf Cleric/Magic-User, Spartakos's Play by Board Game

Buzz
Scout
Scout

#72 Post by Buzz »

"Give us a few minutes. I need a breath." He scrunches his eyes, "By heavens that stings." He pulls out a waterskin and takes a sip, then rinses his eyes.

Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#73 Post by Sir Clarence »

"A short break sounds like a good idea", says Andrin while carefully removing any lizard remains from his staff. He then drinks some water from his skin and looks around to get a better picture of the clearing. Are there any more pathways noticeable that lead away from here?

Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#74 Post by Sir Clarence »

Andrin moves closer to the ash tree. Giving the statuette a curious look, he circles the old tree once, trying to locate any openings into its trunk. He also tries to figure out if the tree might actually be a sentient creature, if this is at all possible for him without using magic. If he's unable to find anything, he starts tapping with his staff against the trunk to get a clue about where the hollow might be located.

Ra the monk
Scout
Scout

#75 Post by Ra the monk »

Exhusted from the fight Oz saunters up to the old ash and leans against it as he cleans his blades. As Andrin starts to move around the tree knocking on it Oz will shift around at the same speed so as to avoid being in the way.

"Whacha doin there Andrin?"

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#76 Post by Stonjuz »

Stonjuz begins gathering 'research' materials. Moss, bark and leaves. "Thurinor, what do you a say? What could the Ash be used for? Druidic? Andrin? Oh, and Oz, Malone, mind cleaning some of them thar lizards for me trunk linings? Mind you, not askin' you to do something for me that I wouldnt do meself, but this here tree needs us magical minds on it right now. Ogidor, get over here. What do you think of this." The dwarf holds out a piece of bark showing the inner skin. "This look healthy to you?"

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#77 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Thurinor takes interest in the ash tree as his companions begin to circle and examine it. He also circles the tree, keeping an eye out for any evidence of secret or concealed doors. After that, he conjures his magical sight and circles again in order to detect any trace of magical auras. He then eyes the lizard figure leaning against the tree. "Definitely not eating lizards," he says in response to Stonjuz.

OOC: Does the tree look big enough that the lizards we defeated could get inside a hollow spot? Some kind of shrine here?

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#78 Post by Vargr1105 »

Day 3 - Late Morning - The Marshes/The Ash Tree Clearing

To Andrin's druidic eyes the ash tree looks perfectly normal; old and partly dead. Everyone around it can see a natural hollow on its side with something glittering within, large enough for one of the lizards to go in or out. Further investigation reveals it holds a stash composed of:

- Mixed coins in several denominations totaling 50 gp

- A broken gold bracelet

- A coil of silver wire

- A thin, crumpled piece of copper sheet, with a scratched picture of a snake and the name "Eli Sweetgrass"

Thurinor's second sight does not reveal any magical auras, either on the tree itself or on the objects removed from it.

The 2-foot tall wooden statuette depicts a humanoid creature of mannish body proportions with a reptile head and long tail. It is of superior craftsmanship but done in an artistic style none of the companions is familiar with. The statue looks very new and the absence of moss or any bog growth on it indicates it must have been brought into the clearing not long ago.

Both Andrin and Ogirdor can clearly identify the statue's wood as pine. So far the party has not seen conifer trees of any kind in their travel.

Thurinor cannot identify the reptilian humanoid has being any deity he has heard of, so it unclear if this is in fact a shrine, if the statue is part of the lizard's treasure which simply didn't fit inside the hollow, or if the truth is something else.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#79 Post by zebediah »

Stonjuz wrote:Stonjuz begins gathering 'research' materials. Moss, bark and leaves. "Thurinor, what do you a say? What could the Ash be used for? Druidic? Andrin? Oh, and Oz, Malone, mind cleaning some of them thar lizards for me trunk linings? Mind you, not askin' you to do something for me that I wouldnt do meself, but this here tree needs us magical minds on it right now. Ogidor, get over here. What do you think of this." The dwarf holds out a piece of bark showing the inner skin. "This look healthy to you?"
It is partly rotten. says the ranger as he scans the area to identify any tracks that preceded the party's encounter with the lizard critters and its directions My advice is to move as soon as we can, but if you want to have a quick break and eat something this might be the best spot we'll have for a while..

Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#80 Post by Sir Clarence »

Assuming that neither he nor his companions have ever heard of someone named Eli Sweetgrass, Andrin removes the golden bracelet from the hollow and takes a closer look at it. If he finds any engravings or something, he passes this information on to the others. If not, he simply places the bracelet back into the tree again.

After taking a cursory look at the other forest paths, Andrin then waits if Ogirdor is able to locate any tracks on one of these.

Return to “UK5 Eye of the Serpent”