Character Generation

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Character Generation

#41 Post by ffilz »

Rex wrote:Maybe I am just confused, are we using a house rule? Bottom of page 15 column 1 and top of page 15 column 1 has 5d100 lunars per year for poor noble and the note says this is usually cut off around his 21st year. This seems his biggest advantage by far, otherwise he won't be able to afford any training (I may not anyways with my horrible rolling).
Ok, sorry, a Poor Noble does get to add up his 5 years of income (Rich Nobles basically get 6 * monthly since they add up the 5 years and then divide by 10).

So non-nobles get their base roll as pocket cash, nobles get whatever is left of their 5 years income.

More things for character sheets:

House rule: HP is (CON + SIZ) /2 (round up) + POW bonus. And then I realized that reduces the maximum possible for humans, so if CON or SIZ is 17+ add +2, if 13-16 add +1 (no penalty for low CON or SIZ, that's already been factored in the averaging...).

For skills a few things about the ability bonuses (you should list these on your character sheet also):

1. If your previous experience sets a flat percentage for a skill, you get your ability bonus on top of that.

2. For experience and training, the ability bonus is left out (this makes experience and training a bit easier for anyone with a positive bonus).

Due to #2, you may want to indicate your skills as Spot Hidden 25 (35) assuming you have a +10% Perception and got trained to 25%.

Note the Oratory ability bonus on p.50 (there actually are other skills that use the Oratory ability).

It will be helpful to all to include all the skills that have a non-zero base. If you find an RQ2 character sheet online (Free at RPGNow/DriveThruRPG https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/23 ... ter-Sheets - too bad they don't have the Sapienza character sheets available) it shows all the skills with their base percentage.

Here's some character sheets I made:
General Sheet: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CV630h ... sp=sharing
Newtling Sheet: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kbXRE_ ... sp=sharing

They do add some additional skills, which is fine. I guess I also started to use the Oratory ability bonus (renamed Communication) for Languages also (which is fine and good).

Newtlings get a base Swimming of 80% and Ducks a base Swimming of 90%.

The additional skills:

Knowledge:
Identify Plants base 5% (from Cults of Prax)

Manipulation:
Boat base 5%
Crafting base 5% (if this is advanced must chose a specialty)
Dancing base 10%
Throw base 25%

Communication:
Singing 5%
Bargaining 5%
Bribery 5%
Story Telling 5%

Since previous experience doesn't add to those new communication skills at all, divide 20 percentage points across the skills as you desire (in 5% increments).

An additional option for Apprentice in previous experience is any craft, take one craft at 75% (I will be generous as to what the craft covers or if it makes sense to have related ones, up to two related ones at 50% - basically I'm mirroring Armorer).

Frank
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#42 Post by GreyWolfVT »

did anyone else's brain just explode? No just me? ok... :shock: I'm still trying to figure it out. Appears I goofed my HP score then I will fix that. However there is not POW bonus in the RQ1 book for a POW score of 16 only my SIZ score had a HP bonus listed.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#43 Post by ffilz »

GreyWolfVT wrote:did anyone else's brain just explode? No just me? ok... :shock: I'm still trying to figure it out. Appears I goofed my HP score then I will fix that. However there is not POW bonus in the RQ1 book for a POW score of 16 only my SIZ score had a HP bonus listed.
Yea, I think POW only affects things if 1-4 or 17+
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#44 Post by ffilz »

Where are folks at? What do you need from me to complete your character?

KevinRune
Scout
Scout

#45 Post by KevinRune »

I am in Fresno CA I think I have my character set. Glad to help anyone else neading assistance.

GreyWolfVT

#46 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pretty much I am lost after the stat rolling as you can see what i posted is all I have been able to figure out I'm totally lost as to how KevinRune got the rest of the numbers as all I am seeing are modifiers to Def and other stats not a way of getting a set number as I see in the character sheet posted. Lost entirely on money as I only rolled starting not per 5 years worth? Aside from that I'd need to know what else I missed in my character creation aside from gear, weapons and armor. I'm kinda working on that now. Just a bit lost as i keep reading over stuff in the RQ1 pdf and become confused and lost. But I am trying to learn it.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#47 Post by ffilz »

Ok, I'll go back and help each of you. Would it help to have a separate thread for each character? Advantage is a bit easier to follow each character. Disadvantage is not being as easy to follow what others are doing. For now we'll work in this thread, but if anyone thinks it would be helpful, I'll break out a separate thread for each character.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Rex »

Either works as long as I can see eds thread, that way I may learn something from it as well. I am not trying to ease drop, just increase my odds of getting it.

GreyWolfVT

#49 Post by GreyWolfVT »

ffilz wrote:Ok, I'll go back and help each of you. Would it help to have a separate thread for each character? Advantage is a bit easier to follow each character. Disadvantage is not being as easy to follow what others are doing. For now we'll work in this thread, but if anyone thinks it would be helpful, I'll break out a separate thread for each character.
I would say whatever works best. having it like this everyone can help one another out having separate for each of us we lose that advantage if they are private for just the player and DM/GM.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#50 Post by ffilz »

Ok, for my sanity, I'm breaking out each player's posts. For now I will keep the threads in the top level, but eventually we'll move them into the sub-forum. They will not be private threads, poking in to see what others are doing is welcome. I will keep some general posts here (or re-post some general information).

Ok, I think I got everything mostly relevant to each character split out. If I missed something, just PM me with a link to the post you would like to move to your thread. I kept some in here that while in response to a specific character seemed relevant to all. I should actually cut and paste all of that stuff into a guide to creating characters document or something.

I think I'm still missing a few e-mails, and I don't know if both players running Foundchild characters have access to the Foundchild cult.

So far for PCs I think we have:

GreyWolf - Human Bison Rider, Foundchild
Rossik - Duck
Rex - Human Foundchild
Kevin Rune - Elf Yelmalio Sun Dome Templar
Starbeard - Duck
Le Noir Faineant - Human

With all the breakout, I can better see where characters are. I will find some time tomorrow to start getting folks rolling.

Frank

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Rex »

I have the cult info. I will switch to my individual thread from here out.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#52 Post by ffilz »

Here's some info on using your cult credit (and some "house rules" on spells - some of the little bits I take from RQ2):

You can train skills up to 25% or one 5% increase if your skill is already 25% (remember, this is the base skill, you don't consider your ability bonus, so if a skill has a 5% base, you can train it 4 times to 25% and then you add your 10% ability bonus for an effective 35% skill).

Speedart and Multimissile are variable spells (variable 1-4). I use the RQ2 costs for those:

1st point 500, 2nd 1000, 3rd 1500, 4th 2000, 5th 2500, 6th 3000.

I'll also add here that RQ2 combines Padding and Protection into a variable spell (1-4) and adds the Xenohealing variable spell (used for healing animals and critters) and Spirit Shield (I think this is also a 1-4 variable spell).

KevinRune
Scout
Scout

#53 Post by KevinRune »

If I could figure how to do character generation for RQG quickly for play by post, I would consider trying to GM a game. Don't want to use pregenerated PC's but people will lose interest if it takes to long. If I asked them for a character outline name race simple background and religeon. I could roll them up for them I guess.

GreyWolfVT

#54 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Sadly I'm starting to wish there were pregen characters to select from the creation process is more than I had anticipated.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#55 Post by ffilz »

Language suggestions (with Praxian as your native for most of you):

Lunar (the conquerors)
Sartarite (the neighbors to the west)
Aldryami (Elf)
Darktongue (Troll)
Balazar (the neighbors to the north)
Old Pavic (dead language of Pavis)
Tradetalk (common tongue of trade)

Father afield:
Grazelander (to the west of Sartar)
Esrolian (to the southwest of Sartar)
Tarshite (to the west of Sartar)

There are other more esoteric languages that I think should be learned in play.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#56 Post by ffilz »

GreyWolfVT wrote:Sadly I'm starting to wish there were pregen characters to select from the creation process is more than I had anticipated.
I need to work on a streamlined process. I haven't used the previous experience since like 1980 (if I even used it back then). My more recent gaming had been using a more streamlined previous experience inspired by RQ3, but I wanted to try out all the glories of RQ1. I think if I laid out a what to do next in a clear way it wouldn't be so hard. Mostly it's a bunch of die rolls and not much picking and choosing.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#57 Post by ffilz »

Does anyone need help in choosing a cult? For the duck characters, if you want a warrior with a death wish, Humakt is a good choice. Zola Fel is an easy choice but it's offerings are more limited than some of the more adventuring oriented cults. Other cults are hard for ducks to get into.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#58 Post by ffilz »

I just sent an invitation to access the Pavis City Players Guide (Common Knowledge). If you haven't sent me your e-mail that you use for Google Docs yet, please do so and I'll send you an invite also.

One thing it has is an alternate price list that we will use (I may need to help convert armor prices since it's based on RQ2 which has different armor).

Frank

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#59 Post by ffilz »

I think I've given everyone next steps in chargen. I think we're reasonably close. Let me know if you're stuck on something.

Kevin, feel free to jump in if someone seems stuck and I haven't responded yet.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#60 Post by ffilz »

Updating:
ffilz wrote:Ok, for my sanity, I'm breaking out each player's posts. For now I will keep the threads in the top level, but eventually we'll move them into the sub-forum. They will not be private threads, poking in to see what others are doing is welcome. I will keep some general posts here (or re-post some general information).

Ok, I think I got everything mostly relevant to each character split out. If I missed something, just PM me with a link to the post you would like to move to your thread. I kept some in here that while in response to a specific character seemed relevant to all. I should actually cut and paste all of that stuff into a guide to creating characters document or something.

I think I'm still missing a few e-mails, and I don't know if both players running Foundchild characters have access to the Foundchild cult.

So far for PCs I think we have:

GreyWolf - Human Bison Rider, Foundchild
Rossik - Duck, Humakt
Rex - Human Foundchild
Kevin Rune - Elf Yelmalio Sun Dome Templar
Starbeard - Duck, Zola Fel Initiate
Le Noir Faineant - Human

With all the breakout, I can better see where characters are. I will find some time tomorrow to start getting folks rolling.

Frank

Return to “Frank's RuneQuest 1”