OOC Discussion (Session 5)

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: OOC Discussion (Session 5)

#21 Post by shroomofinsanity »

That's absolutely true. And IC Berry would drink at the first chance, still having that sheltered upbringing fairly recently and all.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Marullus »

For the log... also it is +1 Check! :)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Twist, not condition? That's good, considering the likeliest condition was injury or death.

So the twist is howling and a knocking sound? Hmm... We might want to camp soon to, at least, eat.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#24 Post by Ludanto »

TB can be weird. If he succeeds with a condition, then it didn't explode, so injury would actually be unlikely.

I suppose an alternate might be "it explodes, save vs. death", but I didn't like the way that felt.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Marullus »

I assumed that the Twist is that Allric is blinded and deafened? At least, those were the bolded parts, so I figured they were the significant things. (Assuming it is a Factor, or perhaps working like a time-limited Exhausted that affects X number of turns with a +1 Ob?)

Or am I wrong and Rusty is right that it is the knock and howl (and Allric doesn't have a game-mechanic effect from the explosion)?

Explosives are fun - I researched that out and added it to my sheet from the beginning, intending Allric to use them. Using them as a weapon requires that they be used in a Conflict. Just like any other weapon use, there's no "save vs death" one-shot action in Torchbearer. (I don't think so, at least.)
Fireworks: for spectacle (1 use) - Ob 1 Alchemist
Fireworks: for spectacle (3 uses) - Ob 2 Alchemist
Explosives: as weapon (+1s feint) - Ob 3 Alchemist
Explosives: as weapon (+1s maneuver) - Ob 4 Alchemist
Explosives: as weapon (+1s attack) - Ob 5 Alchemist

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#26 Post by Ludanto »

The twist is basically that the bomb exploded. From that, Allric is seeing spots and has ringing in his ears, and something(s) heard you. These are all just facts. They might also be factors, if they apply.

Save vs. Death would basically go:
"BOOM! It explodes in your hands. How do you not die?"
"Uh... I try to be really tough?"
"Test Health Ob3 to not die."

Then
"Success! I don't die!"

OR
"No! I failed!"
"OK, you manage to survive, but are horribly INJURED."

Which works, but isn't great.
"Mi pensas, ke mia simio metis sian piedon en vian trinkaĵon."
Neniam dividu la adventurgrupon.
"Ĉu vi volas koboldojn? Ĉar tiel estas kiel oni akiras koboldojn!"

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Marullus »

Huh. Yep, that works. :)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Marullus »

shroomofinsanity wrote:Berry rushes to Allric's side to check on his friend's wellbeing. Excuse me, Berry shouts up the stairs invoking his instinct I feel that perhaps we may be under some kind of misunderstanding?
That's AMAZING! You finally get to use it!! :)

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#29 Post by shroomofinsanity »

I am very sure it wont work but I'm glad I get the chance lol. We will see what the response is.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Marullus »

Don't discount it! Humans are a dominant race because social is in their nature. ;) You are friendly and want to talk, but if he boasts you can add your Nature! Back it up with Touched by the God's and you're at 6 dice before help...

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#31 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

I'm a bit confused, can we have a drawing of the room with known exits?

Stairs up?
Passageway to the east?

Thanx

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Marullus »

Ludanto wrote:Creeping to the foot of the stairs, you can see that the chamber is maybe 50 feet wide. At its center are the remains of a shattered obsidian statue. Dark archways lead west and north, and a dim, orange glow emanates from the doorway in the east wall.

The old, worn book appears to be a journal. The text embossed on the leather cover is dwarven, though the cursive entries inside appear to be in the common tongue.

What now?
Ludanto wrote:The assailant upstairs doesn't answer, but you can hear something approaching from the hall to the east.

What now?
My interpretation of that is that it's a round (or square) room with doorways (meaning no doors in them) in each of the cardinal directions. We've just excavated the southern doorway to allow larger-than-kobold entry. The north and west doorways are dark and the east had a light on and now has someone approaching (which may be larger than kobold size? Unclear.)

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#33 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

I've also emailed Buck, he will be checking in.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#34 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

The kobolds wouldn't be able to just run away unless I let them, if I decide to try to stop them it would be a conflict before they get to the passageway.

So, should I chase after the kobolds? It'll probably be a Flee or a Kill conflict. I have Betsey in hand so I should be able to fire a shot to drop one, maybe two of them, then draw my sword and wade in.

My thought is that if we let them go they will bring more of their tribe.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#35 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

The map so far.
Attachments
The Crypt.jpg
The Crypt.jpg (44.23 KiB) Viewed 2486 times

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Marullus »

BillTheGalacticHero wrote:The kobolds wouldn't be able to just run away unless I let them, if I decide to try to stop them it would be a conflict before they get to the passageway.

So, should I chase after the kobolds? It'll probably be a Flee or a Kill conflict. I have Betsey in hand so I should be able to fire a shot to drop one, maybe two of them, then draw my sword and wade in.

My thought is that if we let them go they will bring more of their tribe.
Thag is acting on instinct, so it's his call, right? I'm fine with whatever he chooses.

As to what we planned... Berry's Instinct will cause interesting roleplay here anyway. You also know that Allric prepared "Wisdom of the Sages" as his spell so he can speak Kobold when it comes to it. (It can only affect him and it only lasts one turn. So, we get one shot at swaying them as a group.) I don't think we had much in the way of compunctions about wiping out the Kobolds, though.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#37 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

My instinct is to scout ahead so that doesn't occur here, but I feel that I'm acting on my Belief - I am the last defense of mankind against the minions of Darkness. And a good offense makes a good defense.

Alfred's instinct is "Shoot first and ask questions later", so I think he would immediately jump in and trigger a kill conflict as his instinct. Would I be able to help in that with my instinct of scouting ahead?

if "Yes", then Alfred and I will act on our instincts and shoot at the kobolds as a free test. If not, then I will initiate a conflict using a turn, and request that Alfred help.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#38 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Does the glow from the "forge/magma pit" provide enough light? Or will we be penalized for Dim Light?

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#39 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

bucksurdu wrote:
Ludanto wrote:A dry heat hits Thag's face as he enters the short corridor. Away from the dancing lights, he can see the deep orange glow emanating from the large hole in the floor's center. Bubbling magma or molten metal sizzles within.

Across the room, four kobolds have stopped in their tracks. A moment passes as you stated at each other, then the kobolds flee through an open door to the north!

What now?
Using my "shoot first and ask questions later" instinct I (Alfred) fires as many shots as I can manage into the fleeing kobolds.
Since Alfred is still back by the ruined statue I'm going to assume he shoots past Thag who is in the short corridor leading to the forge room.. Will me being in the room with the kobolds, with crossbow ready, trying to trigger my scouting instinct, and my belief be enough to assist Alfred in this combat?

If so, then in the combat it will be Alfred taking the first and third actions, I'll take the second. Elves and bows are faster than humans and crossbows anyway. And it will fulfill Alfred's wish "to fire as many arrows as possible".

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#40 Post by Ludanto »

Alfred can't see and doesn't have an angle from here. Also, this isn't a conflict at this point.

Return to “Torchbearer: Scoundrels”