Wintermute's character creation thread

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Wintermute's character creation thread

#1 Post by drpete »

Hi Wintermute!

Welcome aboard!

The first things I'll need from you are some 3d6 rolls for stats. Stats are rolled in order though you'll be able to swap a pair, if you like.

To make rolls, you'll need to go to unseenservant.com, and create an account. From there, you create a "character" that you associate with this campaign. The campaign ID is 682.

Once you have created a character (just the name) and limited it to this campaign, you can roll your stats under the "roll the dice" menu... you pull down the character, then type in dice rolling macros... something like: Strength [3d6] will create a strength roll.

Below each roll, code for copying into a forum post appears... you can use that, or just tell me you rolled, and I'll be able to see them :)

The stats are:
Strength
Agility
Stamina
Personality
Intelligence
Luck

Once you roll them, you can then decide if you want to swap a pair around to get a class you would like to play. The available classes are warrior, thief and wizard.

There is no xp bonus for good stats, but stats give benefits as you might expect (int is good for wizards, str is good for warriors, etc)

Once you get these stats worked out, we'll roll for some background type info, and some advantage/ disadvantages for your character.
Last edited by drpete on Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wintermute
Scout
Scout

Re: Wintermute's character creation thread

#2 Post by Wintermute »

OK I made a macro for rolling all 6 abilities at once, and it worked when I tested it but when I went to "Roll the dice" to roll for real I got this message: "Microsoft Cursor Engine error '80004005'

Data provider or other service returned an E_FAIL status.

/default.asp, line 474"

Edit #3?: OK, it seems like making a macro for all the abilities at once is the problem, one at a time works.

Strength: [3d6] = 14
Agility: [3d6] = 13
Stamina: [3d6] = 13
Personality: [3d6] = 6
Intelligence: [3d6] = 5
Luck: [3d6] = 8

Some good physical scores and garbage everything else! That's fits the Warrior I have in mind...

AureoBuendia
Scout
Scout

#4 Post by AureoBuendia »

Wintermute wrote: Edit #3?: OK, it seems like making a macro for all the abilities at once is the problem, one at a time works.
I got a LOT of those errors learning the system yesterday. I managed to make up to 5 stats work in macros. Adding luck game me the same error. Maybe that's the hard cap. Would still be useful for rolling Attack and Deed together and maybe damage.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Marullus »

There's a length problem in the roller. Usually, you can roll four dice with other words in it just fine. Five dice with few other non-dice text. I can only roll six dice if there's no other text and no spaces used, i.e.
[3d6][3d6][3d6][3d6][3d6][3d6]
To be helpful...

5-6 The Cold Waste (Table 1-4)

10 Berserker*
Berserker* (3 Luck): The PC can go into a wild frenzy for a
number of rounds equal to twice his level each day. These
frenzied rounds don’t need to be consecutive, but the PC
must make a DC 10 Will save to end his berserker state prematurely.
If the saving throw fails, the character continues
to frenzy on subsequent rounds until he either makes his
Will save or he hits his daily berserker round limit. He may
attempt the Will save at the end of each round. During this
berserk rage, the PC gains +2 to attack rolls, damage rolls,
and saving throws against fear. While in a rage, the PC cannot
spend Luck to heal himself.

17 Magically Corrupted
Magically Corrupted: The PC either performed magic far
beyond his capacity as an apprentice or was too close to
a mystical event gone horribly wrong. As a result, the PC
bears a trace of magical corruption. Roll 1d5 to determine
the severity of the corruption: (1-3) Nehwonian Minor Corruption;
(4-5) Nehwonian Major Corruption. Roll on the
appropriate corruption table (see p. 19) to determine the
effect of the taint.

8 Hawkeye: Missile fire damage rolls

Wintermute
Scout
Scout

#6 Post by Wintermute »

Magically Corrupted: [1d5] = 3

That's a minor corruption so let's roll a percentile and see what happens...

Minor Corruption: [1d100] = 42

"Character suffers 1 point of damage whenever he enters a temple or other sacred space. He suffers an additional point of damage for every minute he remains inside the space."

OK Wow.

Per my Int, I can only speak the native tongue of the Cold Wastes: Northspeak

It seems pretty clear to me that I am the bodyguard of our new Dark Magic Wizard, and he has performed terrible rituals on me, and/or bound something quite unsavory in me. Perhaps it was his patron instead. Whatever it is gives me berserker strength.

What is my name?
Name: [1d20] = 7

Hlalf Frostmane. A rather gruff northerner with a wild shock of dark hair frosted with an early graying for his 25 years. He is a man of few words who prefers to let his actions speak for him. He lives with the shame of his corruption, and is bound to his master in inexplicable ways.

Even though I have no Luck modifier, I'm going to take my Hawkeye auger to mean that I have pretty good eyesight.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by drpete »

A minor wrinkle here...

These rolls are modified by luck, so some you continue to be from the North, but those are not your benison/doom.

Instead, we've got:

Ally, Major (3 Luck): The PC has a friend with extremely useful talents. This ally might be a trained warrior, freelance thief, apprentice wizard, member of the city watch, or similar individuals. The ally will occasionally agree to accompany a PC on his adventures, acting as a follower for a short time. Major allies are always 1st level in their chosen professions when first acquired, but may advance over time at the judge’s discretion. If a major ally dies while adventuring, this benison is lost for good.

Geased: The PC either willingly or unwillingly had a geas placed upon him. If he is an agent or the servant of a supernatural power, this geas was imparted upon him by his master. Otherwise, it is likely the result of offending a witch, wizard, or godling. The geas is a formidable one, akin to a major quest, and will likely take years to complete.

Wintermute
Scout
Scout

#8 Post by Wintermute »

Ok. Well in that case, instead of being a servent of someone in the party, I have joined them in hopes of finding a cure to the geas. I've heard of some Wizards running around the city and think they may know how to lift it.

I'm not sure who this major ally is though. Maybe a friend or lover I've met in Lankhmar since my arrival. Or possibly someone whose life I saved. Do you have any suggestions?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by drpete »

We'll find a way to put the party together a little down the road, I think.

As it's your buddy, someone who you might want to have help out or tag along on an adventure, feel free to be creative... a member of the Thieves guild? A guard in the city watch? A leg breaker for a street gang? Hooker with a heart of gold? I'm sure we'll find some kind of a use for it, whatever you want.

As for the geas, I'm thinking it should be something here, in the city, rather than something far away. Generally speaking, it's a requirement to get something, or do something, and each day you don't work on it, you lose a point of luck. It's supposed to be a long term problem :)

Wintermute
Scout
Scout

#10 Post by Wintermute »

-1 Luck a day, ouch.

So I know how to lift it, a task to perform, got it.

Also, since I misremembered the luck mod, I have poor eyesight and -1 on ranged attack rolls.

Wintermute
Scout
Scout

#11 Post by Wintermute »

Let's see if I am tie these two things together...

Soon after arriving in Lankhmar, Hlolf worked as hired muscle. He helped out a thieves guild member by the name of Satha on a simple job. Hlalf was there just as a backup in case things went south. After fencing the item, Hlalf worked with Satha on a few more jobs before she informed him rhat the Guild had lost interest in hiring him for further work (If this does not mesh with how the Thieves Guild operates it can be changed). But that was not the end of their adventures, for Satha and Hlalf soon discovered that whomever they stole that first item from had placed a geas on them! If they didn't return it they would face a terrible end/have bad luck/whatever. Since the two had grown to be friends they vowed to track down what they had stolen, but there is no telling how many fence's and collector's hands it has passed through in the back alleys of Lankhmar.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by drpete »

Interesting...

One thing I worry about with geas is that either we all end up looking for that thing, or for character ends up screwed. Im trying to think of something that could sort of synch up with what the group would be doing (hunting for some other treasure, or whatever) without penalising you.

How about something where through a twist of fate, you escaped death, or thwarted someone else's death. You are geased to "balance out the ledger" by essentially serving death and trying to kill someone important enough to satisfy death by killing them?

Or possibly a geas to protect someone (in the party, maybe) from harm... if you let them get hurt, you suffer the penalty, but it's not every time you follow a different plot thread.

Wintermute
Scout
Scout

#13 Post by Wintermute »

I think it would probably be harder to convince the party to assassinate someone than steal from merchant in hopes they may have the stolen good, right?

I can always use my downtime looking for leads on this and it can lead toany heists which may not necessarily bear fruit.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by drpete »

Alright.

How about the thing you stole was a big crystal, like the inside of a geode, a rough, uncut thing that didn't seem worth that much, despite its size. Apparently, it was to the wizard you stole it from?

Wintermute
Scout
Scout

#15 Post by Wintermute »

Great!

So what's next for character creation?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by drpete »

You need to roll hp, starting funds, and buy equipment.

This would be as the core dcc rules for as 1st level starting character.

Wintermute
Scout
Scout

#17 Post by Wintermute »

0 level HP: [1d4+1] = 2+1 = 3, 1st level HP: [1d12+1] = 3+1 = 4

Mediocrity.

Funds: [5d12] = 39

Warhammer 5gr
2 Javelins 2gr
Dagger 3gr
Shield 10 gr
Padded armor 5gr
Backpack 2gr
Flint and steel 15cp
3 candles 3cp
Small sack 8cp
Large sack 12cp
5 days of rations 25cp
Waterskin 5ss
2 oil flasks 4ss

Costs: 27gr, 9ss, 63cp. After cashing in a couple gild for lower coins, this leaves me with 10 gr, 1ss, and 36cp, assuming I did my math correctly.

And a d100 for an intriguing item?
Intriguing Item: [1d100] = 1

A copper spoon. Probably found in a gutter. Kept in a leather strap around his neck so he always has it handy for a quick meal.

Trinculo
Strider
Strider

#18 Post by Trinculo »

The Thieves' Guild of Lankhmar is notorious for disallowing any women from becoming members. Is this different in the version of the setting that we're playing in?

Wintermute
Scout
Scout

#19 Post by Wintermute »

I have not read any of the books, so of that is the case Satha is now a man!

I can assume from the context and name examples that people from the cold wastes are expected to look like vikings? I'm having trouble finding a character portrait of a vikingish warrior with graying dark hair who doesn't look like he is 50 years old.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by drpete »

Sorry, I saw the description, but didn't pick up on the gender of your Ally.

Yes, they are basically Vikings. Here's a description:

Northerners are anyone hailing from the Cold Waste and the various barbarian tribes that live there. Northerners are a tall people that possess pale complexions, red, brown, or black hair, and tend towards brown, green, and blue eyes. They are a robust culture, hardened by their natural environment and most Northerners are in prime physical condition. Northern barbarians make their living by hunting, trading, and pirating, and are both adept sailors and mountaineers. Although patriarchal as a whole, women are both respected and feared amongst the northern tribes for the weird witchery they can wield on their menfolk.

Return to “DrPete's Lankhmar Game (DCC)”