(010) Jump to Jenghe

Eris
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: (010) Jump to Jenghe

#41 Post by Eris »

bruce.desertrat wrote:Been swamped at work lately, and somehow missed this entire thread :oops:

As they transition to Jump Pedro is as surprised as the rest how smoothly it goes. "Simtale! Connie you are one sweet sweet ship; that's as smooth as I've ever felt." He grins at Carlos and leans back in the chair. "Think I'm going to just sit here and enjoy this for a while, I'll come down for a bite and a beer later."
"Thank you Captain." replies the ship's computer, "I do my best!"
Before the bridge crew stand down to the night watch Sigrun reports to Pedro and Carlos “I made some enquiries before we left orbit. I called the only people I know on Regina and asked them about their area of expertise”.

She smiles, pleased with herself “The information from my Embassy is that riddari … ah … knight …Herr Baltus was or is an Imperial diplomatic security operative based on Regina. He's now with Ling. Such people are dedicated professionals but he is not an Imperial Marine - so not as dangerous as me” she smiles and her teeth show.
Pedro nods. "That actually makes me feel more serene about his presence. He might even be who he says he is, and a Diplo security guy is expected to be invisible and subtle muscle. I hope he's a just-in-case assignment rather than a 'expecting trouble' one"

He sits a while in the darkened bridge, listening to the quiet noises of the "Connie" , makes his jump start entries in the captains log, then heads down gets his bite and a beer and falls into bed.

Am I bunking with anyone?
On the way to the crew commons Pedro meets Edwardo coming up from the Cargo Hold and asks his question about bunking with anyone.

Edwardo shakes his head, "Nope, but I am. Zaki gave my stateroom to this new crew member, Emily. I'm bunking with Chandra...I think she said."

As the pair enter the Commons they see Emily fixing herself a cup of kaff. Sigrun and John Lee are seated at the table both sipping from mugs.

Chandra is coming up from Engineering just behind Pedro and Edwardo. He's yet to meet the new Assistant Engineer, Emily, and he's eager to do so.

Zaki and Carlos are conspicuous by their absence.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

bruce.desertrat
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#42 Post by bruce.desertrat »

Eris wrote: On the way to the crew commons Pedro meets Edwardo coming up from the Cargo Hold and asks his question about bunking with anyone.

Edwardo shakes his head, "Nope, but I am. Zaki gave my stateroom to this new crew member, Emily. I'm bunking with Chandra...I think she said."
Pedro chuckles "Well I hope he doesn't snore too much! We run into more 'Friends of Windy' we're going to need to add more crew space"
Eris wrote:
As the pair enter the Commons they see Emily fixing herself a cup of kaff. Sigrun and John Lee are seated at the table both sipping from mugs.

Chandra is coming up from Engineering just behind Pedro and Edwardo. He's yet to meet the new Assistant Engineer, Emily, and he's eager to do so.

Zaki and Carlos are conspicuous by their absence.

"Chandra, nice work on the drives, that was a smooth a transition as I've felt in a long time. Mind you those have been clapped-out transports and that dinka kakio we flew back from Ruie, but I think the Connie is a hella ship so far."

He gets a beer and something edible from the fridge, then turns to Emily and raises the beer in a toast "A proper welcome aboard, tovaplaya, welcome to our motley crew. "
Pedro "Wong Way" Wong, 98BA77,
Navy, Starman, 3 Terms, 31,
Electronics-1, Engineering-1, Gravitics-1, Grav
Vehicle-1, Pilot-2, Steward-1, Vacc-1, ZeroG-2. Benefit:
Blade.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Tiglath »

Sigrun has seemingly undergone a complete transformation since the ship’s “day” became artificial evening. Wearing a while silk wrap, she pads barefoot into the common area with her long blond hair still loose. With sudden delight she says to John Lee “You made me tea – with honey!” and then settles down next to him with a warm smile. She salutes Emily with her mug, joining in with Pedro's welcoming toast.

As Pedro enters she acknowledges him and says “Kapiten, I had drinks with Sir Baltus and looked him in the eye. I believe he is an honourable man”. She continues brightly “I wore my new green dress from Sawhuffa in the passenger lounge” and then feels it necessary to add “no one was injured”.

This distinctly mellow and unusually “girly” version of Sigrun picks up her tea with both hands and reclines comfortably against John Lee. She says to Pedro “I’m working up some security protocols with Connie. Some of it is ship's environment stuff so you’ll need to authorise me to do that”.
Player: Jonathan/Tiglath
Sigrun Volsung, 9B7886, Lt Commander, 3 terms, age 31
Gun Cbt 3 (Rifle 2, Pistol 1), Melee Cbt 1 (Axe), Pilot 1,
Gunnery 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1, Recon 1,
Electronics 0, Grav Vehicle 0
Enemy: Imperial Navy (Lunion) Ine Givar(?)

bruce.desertrat
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#44 Post by bruce.desertrat »

Tiglath wrote:Sigrun has seemingly undergone a complete transformation since the ship’s “day” became artificial evening. Wearing a while silk wrap, she pads barefoot into the common area with her long blond hair still loose. With sudden delight she says to John Lee “You made me tea – with honey!” and then settles down next to him with a warm smile. She salutes Emily with her mug, joining in with Pedro's welcoming toast.

As Pedro enters she acknowledges him and says “Kapiten, I had drinks with Sir Baltus and looked him in the eye. I believe he is an honourable man”. She continues brightly “I wore my new green dress from Sawhuffa in the passenger lounge” and then feels it necessary to add “no one was injured”.
Pedro takes a swig "That's good news, I'd expect at least a mild case of whiplash with that dress. Now all we need to worry about is threats from OUTSIDE the ship. "
Tiglath wrote: This distinctly mellow and unusually “girly” version of Sigrun picks up her tea with both hands and reclines comfortably against John Lee. She says to Pedro “I’m working up some security protocols with Connie. Some of it is ship's environment stuff so you’ll need to authorise me to do that”.
Pedro chuckles "Connie, Sigrun has full authorization for this security protocol work. No practical jokes with the freshers though!" He grins widely.
Blade.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by joertexas »

Eris wrote:Zaki and Carlos are conspicuous by their absence.
The "Caution - Low Gee" warning bar is lit on the environmental panel for their stateroom.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Tiglath »

bruce.desertrat wrote:Pedro chuckles "Connie, Sigrun has full authorization for this security protocol work. No practical jokes with the freshers though!" He grins widely.
Sigrun seems initially confused then bashfully delighted when Pedro mentions her dress. She continues “Ja, as Sir Baltus seems genuine I’m now focussing on outside threats”.

She breaks eye contact with Pedro and addresses the ceiling “Hei, Connie Malone!” Her accent thickens and she gives a fierce grin “Cluster those security protocols we were discussing under the authority of the Kapiten and myself, voice command activation at my discretion. The activation code is …” Her heterochromatic eyes meet Pedro’s once more and she gives her fierce predatory grin “ … Sword Worlds polite”.

bruce.desertrat
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#47 Post by bruce.desertrat »

Tiglath wrote:
bruce.desertrat wrote:Pedro chuckles "Connie, Sigrun has full authorization for this security protocol work. No practical jokes with the freshers though!" He grins widely.
Sigrun seems initially confused then bashfully delighted when Pedro mentions her dress. She continues “Ja, as Sir Baltus seems genuine I’m now focussing on outside threats”.

She breaks eye contact with Pedro and addresses the ceiling “Hei, Connie Malone!” Her accent thickens and she gives a fierce grin “Cluster those security protocols we were discussing under the authority of the Kapiten and myself, voice command activation at my discretion. The activation code is …” Her heterochromatic eyes meet Pedro’s once more and she gives her fierce predatory grin “ … Sword Worlds polite”.
Pedro nearly falls off his chair with laughter. "Please tell me , our polite Sword Worlder, what invoking this protocol will do?" He grins devilishly "Or should I just try it and see?"
Blade.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Tiglath »

Alarmed Sigrun exclaims “Nei, no don’t!!! Not unless you want to float about in the dark with your own vomit!”

After a moment she continues more calmly “Connie and I are still refining the protocol and we may yet need to “harden” some of our electronics. We must employ it only in captured or contested areas of the ship”.

She explains “When storming a ship boarders should be trained to expect the absence of artificial light or gravitics. However, I propose to micro manage the ship’s environment and use it against intruders. This has to be tactically controlled and targeted by someone directly interfacing with Connie. For example activating individual gravitics modules might allow me to “boost” across the hold in zero G movement whilst hostiles struggle in heavy G. Likewise strobe effects with the ship’s lighting may produce disorientation and vomiting or leave an enemy momentarily blind”.

She snuggles into John Lee’s shoulder and sips her tea but her eyes are bright as she cautions “These measures won’t work in isolation or on ship's troops but might be effective against less professional pirates. Connie has too many access points to be defended conventionally so the protocol must be used in a counterattack on hostiles and to then launch our own counter boarding action”.

(OOC: As an aside re: languages Sigrun “speaks” Old Norse/Viking so may not Google translate well (although Icelandic is close). I’ll always try to include translations for clarity as required :) ).

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by joertexas »

During the week in jump, Zaki tends to the passengers, and works hard on her strength training.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Tiglath »

Sigrun renders Zaki uncompromising help and support or borderline torture - it's perspective dependant.

(OOC: :) )

She also continues to train with Chandra (see below).

She works with Connie on her security protocol - micro managing ship's environmental systems and practicing zero G movement about the ship in full armour. This is only mildly alarming for fellow crew members (due to a certain headspace she gets into) but she does not use the passenger areas to train in.
Last edited by Tiglath on Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keven
Ranger
Ranger

#51 Post by Keven »

During the week in Jump, Carlos stands his watches, helps Zaki with her exercises, and studies up on how to broker cargo.
Candles Against The Night:
Game Janitor, ZZZZZZ, Everything, 10 Terms
JOT-90, Admin-90, Fast Talk-90
---------------------------
In The Marches:
Carlos Matsumi, 79AAA7, Scouts, 33, 3.5 terms,
Gunnery-1, JOAT-1, Mechanical-1, Navigation-3, Pilot-1, Slug Pistol-1, Vacc Suit-2. Blade.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by joertexas »

Tiglath wrote:Sigrun renders Zaki uncompromising help and support or borderline torture - it's perspective dependant.
Carlos is Zaki's primary trainer, but Zaki welcomes her assistance and advice. She is determined to regain her strength after some serious injuries that regeneration therapies cannot heal for her.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by Tiglath »

(OOC: I remember that at some stage Sigrun offered to help - it might just have been keeping Zaki motivated / company while she trains and Carlos is on watch. Since Sigrun trains a lot (like a lunatic) there's probably somewhere where they could overlap).

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by joertexas »

Tiglath wrote:(OOC: I remember that at some stage Sigrun offered to help - it might just have been keeping Zaki motivated / company while she trains and Carlos is on watch. Since Sigrun trains a lot (like a lunatic) there's probably somewhere where they could overlap).
Zaki works with Sigrun on her strength training regimen - and she insists that Sigrun and the other new arrivals have a complete physical workup done. She has baseline data on Carlos and the others, but not for Emily, Sigrun, and John Lee.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Tiglath »

Sigrun rises to the challenge of competitive baseline data donation! :roll:

By mid jump she looks about for new training opportunities. She invites Sir Baltus to practice tactical manoeuvres through the crew side and hold of the ship adapting her tactics to account for his use of an energy weapon (if he favours his laser rifle).

At dinner one evening she propositions Emily. “If you like we could train together – maybe some light sparring or some range work. We built a temporary range to test fire our crew weapons and I have enough ballistic gel left to put up a pistol target for us to work with”.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#56 Post by ffilz »

Tiglath wrote:Sigrun rises to the challenge of competitive baseline data donation! :roll:

By mid jump she looks about for new training opportunities. She invites Sir Baltus to practice tactical manoeuvres through the crew side and hold of the ship adapting her tactics to account for his use of an energy weapon (if he favours his laser rifle).

At dinner one evening she propositions Emily. “If you like we could train together – maybe some light sparring or some range work. We built a temporary range to test fire our crew weapons and I have enough ballistic gel left to put up a pistol target for us to work with”.
Sir Baltus will be quite willing to train, he would love to work on Laser Rifle skill. I've also had a question out to Eris about level-0 skills, he was generated for a pure Classic Traveller game so wasn't given any level-0 skills, if he could get some, I'd love to add Zero-G Combat-0 and Vacc Suit-0. If he doesn't have those skills, he would like to train to acquire them.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

bruce.desertrat
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#57 Post by bruce.desertrat »

The day after the Jump Pedro commandeers the crew galley; in time mouthwatering aromas start to emerge. Early afternoon the crew and Sir Baltus receive invitations to dine at the Captains Table that evening for the FirstNight celebratory dinner, sent on the finest clip-art he can find in Connie's library :-)

When they arrive they find that Pedro has made good use of his Navy training as a cook to produce a simple but delicious meal featuring luscious beef stroganoff, salad, roasted root vegetables, and a tropical fruit sorbet for dessert, accompanied by wines for each course.

"Welcome mes tovaplayas and guest, to our first FirstNight dinner aboard the good ship Connie Malone. " He waits until they have their drinks in hand and raises his glass "To many more!"

He gestures to Sir Baltus to take the seat to his right "'Tis a long held custom of my aunt's that one should always celebrate the full day in in any journey properly, as befits a civilized people..." He smiles " She always told me it was an old Belter tradition, but I think it was mostly an excuse for a dinner party, to be honest, because she loved to throw on a big spread."

And of course I'll include the recipe! Way back at the very beginning of the first Akus game with Eris we did this a bit...

1.5-2 lbs good stewable meat (chuck, round or some cut like that suitable for a long braise) cut into ½-¾ inch cubes or thereabouts
3-4 cloves garlic minced
1 large, or 2 medium onions sliced and quartered
2 lbs white or brown mushrooms sliced
Grainy mustard (like Grey Poupon coarse ground mustard, not a sweet one)
Bay leaves
Thyme
Parsley
one can beef broth (or 2C if using home made)
Soy sauce
Red Wine
Sour cream

Cooked, buttered egg noodles and fresh parsley to serve

Heat a large heavy pot (I use our big enameled cast-iron dutch oven) and add a few TB of canola or similar oil
Season the meat with salt and pepper, then toss with a little flour to coat, and brown it in batches.
Add the onions and garlic and cook until slightly wilted then add the mushrooms. Stir it all around then add about 2 TB soy and a half-cup wine to deglaze the pot, stirring and scraping up the bits.
Add the beef broth, 2 TB mustard, about a ½ tsp dried thyme or several sprigs fresh, two bay leaves and about a tsp dried or a couple TB fresh shopped parsley, cove and simmer until the meat is very tender, about 1.5-2 hours.

Add in a cup (or more to taste) of sour cream and stir well to incorporate, serve over the egg noodles.

It's cribbed from a recipe from FoodTV https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/geo ... ff-4700692, but the first time we made it we nearly polished off the entire pot that night, and made it again two days later, and it's become a staple in our meal rotation
Blade.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Tiglath »

Sigrun will arrange to collect Sir Baltus from the passenger quarters. She has her hair braided and is wearing a simple cotton pullover shirt with runic embroidery at the neck and denim trousers. In contrast to her casual outfit she has her big Ulfberht autosnub holstered on her thigh. She grins and rolls her eyes when Sir Baltus notices the pistol "Relax, Imperial húskarl!". Seemingly in cheerful high spirits she explains "The Kapiten has invited you to his table and so you are his guest. If anything happened to you on the way it would be a sleight to his reputation and so I honour both you and him by showing that I take my duties as escort seriously”.

A little later she raises her glass with Pedro echoing “Many more!” and then adds with a smile “Bosmang kapawu*”.

Sigrun delights in the meal - communal eating seems culturally comfortable for her. When all have eaten she demands (and then remembers to request) that Emily again relate how she won her medal.

It doesn’t seem to matter that Sigrun knows the facts for she revels in the telling of the tale. When Lord William appears in the narrative she salutes him with an impromptu toast loudly declaring “The Jarl!” When Emily concludes the tale she raises her glass again and hammers the table declaring “It was well done, Emily Green, and the Jarl rightly honours you as a warrior”.

(OOC: (trans from Belter creole) Ship’s captain).

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#59 Post by Eris »

Tiglath wrote:(OOC: I remember that at some stage Sigrun offered to help - it might just have been keeping Zaki motivated / company while she trains and Carlos is on watch. Since Sigrun trains a lot (like a lunatic) there's probably somewhere where they could overlap).
Zaki is doing a lot of strength and flexibility work, not as much cardo. As long as she keeps this up her Strength, Constitution and Dexterity stay at an improved level. She would end up hurting herself if she tried to keep up with Sigrun.

Two of the passengers, Meriam Lockinvar and Bobby Rangle, seem to be a workout monsters as well.

Meriam seems to be in the workout area every time any of you are in there. She is always wearing a virtual reality headset If you ask her about it she tells you, "I hate jump space, it's the isolation and constantly being confined. When I workout in VR I can forget where I really am." Meriam is scheduled to leave the ship on Extolay, your second stop.

Bobby Rangle is a big, beefy, man of about 40. He is a serious weight lifter and flexes at Zaki and Sigrun more often than makes either of them comfortable. He is bound for Jenghe, first stop, and when you talk to him his two topics of conversation seem to be himself and how much weight he can lift and his "off the wall" theory that "The Jenghe Disaster" (when one of its moons left orbit and crashed into the planet's surface a little over a hundred years ago) was caused by some sort of Zhodani psionic weapon they were testing.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#60 Post by Eris »

ffilz wrote:
Tiglath wrote:Sigrun rises to the challenge of competitive baseline data donation! :roll:

Sir Baltus will be quite willing to train, he would love to work on Laser Rifle skill. I've also had a question out to Eris about level-0 skills, he was generated for a pure Classic Traveller game so wasn't given any level-0 skills, if he could get some, I'd love to add Zero-G Combat-0 and Vacc Suit-0. If he doesn't have those skills, he would like to train to acquire them.
OOC: I'll give you Vacc Suit-0 for free, but you'll have to learn Zero-G Cbt. Number of skill Levels + 1 week for ZG-Cbt-0.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Return to “In the Marches (Traveller)”