Chapter 1: Welcome to Stonespear Province

Pulpatoon
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Chapter 1: Welcome to Stonespear Province

#1 Post by Pulpatoon »

Everyone knows about the Underworld. It’s everywhere, somewhere, below your feet. Full of monsters, strange ruins, fabulous treasure, and the mind-shredding weirdness of the Chaos gods.

In more civilized parts of the world, entrances to the Underworld have been mapped, sealed, covered over, and had citadels of Law built on top of them. (That, or turnstiles have been installed, and would-be-adventurers can enter for a modest fee and a less-modest percentage of any goods found.)

But here, in the frozen north of Upper Mastodonia, there is an unguarded entrance.

As nominal subjects of Sorcerer-King Syantides, autocrat of the ancient city-state Mur (you must be His subjects—after all you’re breathing His air), you have been volunteered to apply for a deadly mission into the Underworld.

You meet in Fort Enterprise, a rough outpost in the Stonespear Province of Upper Mastodonia, ruled over by Govenor Krofax, a former barbarian turned regent. You have been rudely and suddenly press-ganged, and are now sitting together in a tent, waiting to be vetted by Krofax’s vizier, Galandigrius.
Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 9.38.03 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 9.38.03 AM.png (485.65 KiB) Viewed 1965 times
Everybody, please post a few sentences about what brought you to this benighted dot at the edge of the map, introduce yourselves to one another, and give me 2 d20 results for rumors you’ve picked up.
Last edited by Pulpatoon on Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nate
Scout
Scout

Re: Welcome to Stonespear Province

#2 Post by Nate »

Gurzubar:
I came up to these parts looking for a fresh start, maybe try my hand at treasure hunting up here where every rotten temple and tomb aint been picked over by scallywags. Not sure I like the idea of "volunteering" for a trip to the Underworld, but maybe I can deepen these pockets a bit. I heard they got some of them Wooly Mammoths up here in the north, always wanted to see one of those.
[1d20] = 18 [1d20] = 15
Gurzubar | Level 2
Str: 15 | Dex: 12 | Con: 14 | Int: 11 | Wis: 11 | Cha: 11
HP: 14 | Armor: 14 | Long Sword: d8
Character Sheet

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#3 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Galot Wenz being from a performer's background wanted to perform in the north but this gives the type of performance a whole new meaning. Liking sword play he volunteers for this expedition into the underground besides it could turn a small profit. Seeing the other fellow named Gurzubar he simply asks "So what brought you here?"

Rolls Requested by DM/GM [1d20] = 11 | [1d20] = 9
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Nate
Scout
Scout

#4 Post by Nate »

GreyWolfVT wrote: "So what brought you here?"

Rolls Requested by DM/GM [1d20] = 11 | [1d20] = 9
Things got a little too hot in the South, I heard there was plenty of adventures to be had and money to be made up North. Plus I want to see a Woolly Mammoth.
Gurzubar | Level 2
Character Sheet

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Pulpatoon »

Rumors

Gurzubar:
The Underworld used to be the kingdom of the Beetles, but I don’t know anything else.
If you meet a slugman in the Underworld, see if he wants to trade. I hear they have all the best stuff.
Galot Wenz:
Accept the blessings of Mindlessness when you hear the call! I will say no more!
Shaggath-Ka the Worm Sultan lives down there! Are you insane? Godlings of the Underworld can kill with a thought, enslave with a gesture, destroy minds with a word!

GreyWolfVT

#6 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Nate wrote: Things got a little too hot in the South, I heard there was plenty of adventures to be had and money to be made up North. Plus I want to see a Woolly Mammoth.
Galot Wenz: chuckles a bit in the reply "Wouldn't worry about the heat here. Woolly Mammoth I don't think I've seen one of those myself and I once performed in a circus that had some exotic animals."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Nate
Scout
Scout

#7 Post by Nate »

GreyWolfVT wrote:
Galot Wenz: chuckles a bit in the reply "Wouldn't worry about the heat here. Woolly Mammoth I don't think I've seen one of those myself and I once performed in a circus that had some exotic animals."
Gurzabar: Great, stuck underground with a carny...uh, I mean, nice to meet you.
I heard the Underworld was once the Kingdom of the Beetles, imagine that, bugs with kings and queens and all that! Hmm... I hope they weren't dung beetles.
Gurzubar | Level 2
Character Sheet

mjulius
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#8 Post by mjulius »

His fanatic eyes wide open, Ollan Lumis enters Fort Enterprise positively shaking at the prospect of entering the underworld [the Underworld!], long denied to him in those Citadels of Law, of which he dedicated so much.
"Finally, finally, FINALLY", he says as he enters the tent, "I shall know TRUTH!"

He looks around, realizing that these mutterings are aloud, and he is in company.

Rumors: [1d20] = 2, [1d20] = 19
Last edited by mjulius on Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wither Whither
Citizen Lich, Level 2; Hit Points: 5
STR +2/12 DEX +3/13 CON +1/11 INT +6/16 WIS +2/12 CHA +3/13

GreyWolfVT

#9 Post by GreyWolfVT »

mjulius wrote:His fanatic eyes wide open, Ollan Lumis enters Fort Enterprise positively shaking at the prospect of entering the underworld [the Underworld!], long denied to him in those Citadels of Law, of which he dedicated so much.
"Finally, finally, FINALLY", he says as he enters the timbered gates, "I shall know TRUTH!"

He looks around, realizing that these mutterings are aloud, and he is in company.
Galot Wenz: before continuing his chat with Gurzabar gives Ollan a strange look one eyebrow raised "You alright?" he asks. After receiving a response from Ollan, if he gets one, he turns back to Gurzabar.
Nate wrote:
GreyWolfVT wrote:
Gurzabar: Great, stuck underground with a carny...uh, I mean, nice to meet you.
I heard the Underworld was once the Kingdom of the Beetles, imagine that, bugs with kings and queens and all that! Hmm... I hope they weren't dung beetles.
Galot Wenz: "I'm sorry do you have a problem with carnies? I assure you I left that life behind. I'd not heard that but I did hear that apparently Shaggath-Ka the Worm Sultan lives down there, supposedly Godlings of the Underworld can kill with a thought, enslave with a gesture, destroy minds with a word. But we shall see how much truth that holds."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Zhym »

Bubba Broadside wears the lavender livery of Duke Westerponce, a noble of little note and less importance. "Used to work for 'im," explains Bubba. "Private guard, sort of thing. So, one night, see, I'm off on a stupid shopping errand cause the steward's sick? And six yackoffs gang tackle me, tie me, bind me, gag me, and stuff me into a cart. Take me to their hideout, where I cool my heels for a week before the geniuses figure out I ain't the Duke's nephew or whoever the hell they thought I was. You'd think the livery woulda clued 'em in. Anyhow, the Duke didn't give a rat's tail about me gone missing, 'cept that he had to hire a new goon. It wasn't hard to bust some heads and break outta there after that. And so, here I am. Kept the poofy uniform cause armor's armor, even if it is crappy gambeson the color of a granny's bedroom."

"And that's m' story."

Rumors: [1d20] = 5 [1d20] = 2

Nate
Scout
Scout

#11 Post by Nate »

GreyWolfVT wrote:Galot Wenz: "I'm sorry do you have a problem with carnies? I assure you I left that life behind. I'd not heard that but I did hear that apparently Shaggath-Ka the Worm Sultan lives down there, supposedly Godlings of the Underworld can kill with a thought, enslave with a gesture, destroy minds with a word. But we shall see how much truth that holds."
Gurzabar to Galot:
No no, sorry, didn't mean nothing by it. Worm Sultan, eh? Sounds gross.
To Ollan:
Hi there, I'm Gurzubar! Excited to go down there huh? You heard about the Beetle Kingdom or this Worm Sultan? Oh, and Slugmen too, I heard they got slugs down there who will barter with you. Sounds a bit nasty but I admit I'm curious about what kinda goods a slug would be selling.
To Bubba:
Well, I kinda like that fancy outfit, pretty color.
Gurzubar | Level 2
Character Sheet

GreyWolfVT

#12 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Galot Wenz: nods his head when Gurzabar says worm sultan sounds gross "That it surely does."

To Ollan: he extends a hand in greeting "Well met Ollan my name is Galot Wenz."

To Bubba he gives that same one eyebrow raised look and says "Well that is quite the tale well met I am Galot Wenz."

To Everyone: "There was another thing I head from odd person on the streets too. Something about 'accept the blessings of mindlessness when you hear the call! I will say no more!', However I took them as the ravings of a madman and dismissed them."

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Pulpatoon »

Ollan Lumis:
A crusty old drunk told you, “If you enter the Underworld, beware first the mind- bats!” He then waved hands around, making ghostly “wooooo” sounds.
He also shared: "If you get hungry, eat giant bugs. If you don’t puke right away, it’s probably alright."
Bubba Broadside:
A crusty old drunk told you, “If you enter the Underworld, beware first the mind- bats!” He then waved hands around, making ghostly “wooooo” sounds.
Elsewhere, you heard that Governor Krofax has already sent a party off to the Underworld, but he’s still recruiting because he doesn’t expect them to ever make it back.

mjulius
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#14 Post by mjulius »

Galot
Ollan musters his best "I'm a solid fella" smile and responds, "Pretty good”, shaking his head too many times.

Gurzabar
"Aaaaah. I see you are also a fisherman of deep secrets. I’ve heard tell of some beetles and bugs. We’ll eat well probably.

Bubba
Quite a tale. Let’s relish this freedom of yours! Bust some heads, then rejoice in these rumored blessings of the mindlessness! Oh, I do love the Gods.

With that he makes his introductions, grasping hands of new comrades, making wistful remarks of the underworld, kvetching a little at the underworld gates once denied him by blind fools of Law.
Wither Whither

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Pulpatoon »

The entrance to the tent flutters and the burly, blocky head of an aging soldier peers in, looks at you with quiet dismay, and retracts. From Outside, you hear, "By Crom's encrustulated codpiece! Were the dung-sweeper's guild not answering the door? This lot's even worse than the last! Might as well send in Galandigrius."

After a few minutes, a weathered old man shuffles in, barely remaining upright under they weight of his many robes. A magnificent collar shaped like dragonfly wings spread out behind a moth-eaten turban, which crowns a bony, leather face, a shaggy grey beard, and wide black eyes that dart from form to form without seeming to register much.

He waves a hand that looks like a construction of sticks and walnuts wrapped in parchment in Bubba's direction. "C'mere. Sit. Put this," he produces a sigil-covered handkerchief, "o'er your head. Here. Let me adjust it so it covers everything of somatic significance. Now hold still. No fidgeting."

What follows is a short ritual dance, an intimate physical examination which includes thorough and vigorous measuring of the skull with calipers, and then splattering Bubba's face with reptile blood. Galandigrius takes extensive notes with a shaking hand, mumbling to himself all the while.

This examination is repeated with each member of the party. When it is all done, hours have passed, and several pages of Galandigrius' book have been filled with cramped, spidery handwriting. He shuffles out of the tent, handing some paperwork to the guard outside, and mumbling, "Adequately fit to serve."

You are left to twiddle your thumbs for awhile before a guard captain sweeps in, followed by two guards lugging a locked chest. The captain produces a ring of keys with a flourish and opens the chest. "Brave explorers! Behold the munificence of Govenor Krofax, who rules by the Grace of Heavenly Syantides, whose pores are the stars, and whose sweat is the rain! For your vital mission into the madness beneath, no expense shall be spared! Our stores are open before you. And, what's more, here are legendary works, weapons, tools, and provisions of documented magic!"

In the Chest
Sword of Demolition +1: can be set to self-destruct upon command, begins to count backward from 30 in a calm female voice, explodes at zero for 6d6 damage to all within 60’ (d8 damage, 2 slots, 1 hand, 3 quality)
20 arrows +1
One arrow +2: prismatic effect (as per faerie fire) on any creature struck
6 healing salves: restore 1d4+1 HP per application
1 potion of invisibility
6 Ancient charms vs. Chaos: functions as protection from evil for 1d4 days
6 Stone Cloaks: Provides camouflage (+1 to checks)
1 Wand of Magic Missles: fires 2 magic missiles per charge (5 charges)
Battle Axe of Spell Cleaving +1: Chop an emergent spell in the air; renders effects null and void, but destroys the weapon (d8 damage, 2 slots, 1 hand, 3 quality)
3 scrolls (as spell books, but one-time use): fireball, charm monster, membranous inconveince
1 dozen each red and blue anti-Chaos pills, to be consumed when directly exposed to raw Chaos of Chaos-derived phenomena

Inventory, or item slots are a big deal in Knave. You have as many slots as your Constitution Defense, and some items take up more than one slot (such as armor and weapons). Additionally, I have houseruled that some conditions, such as hunger, thirst, or exhaustion also take up slots.

Distribute the magic items amongst yourselves as you see fit. Additionally, and mundane exploration gear (within reason) will be provided to you. Beasts of burden are not available in the part of the country, so take what you can carry.

The captain continues, "A non-negotiable term attached to receipt of enchanted materiel is submission to the application of an eldritch tattoo at the hands of the wise and even-tempered Vizier to the Govenor, Galandigrius." The old man shuffles back in, holding a small brass pot in one hand, and pinching hris fingers of his other hand together as though holding something tightly. "The tattoos will be invisible, etched with invisible ink by an invisible stylus. In the event of dereliction of your duties, the mark will glow a bright red, a beacon of your shame and ignominy, and a beacon to every trooper, bounty hunter, and assassin in the service of the Sorcerer-King."

Nate
Scout
Scout

#16 Post by Nate »

Gurzubar requests the Sword of Demolition.
He reaches for it while glancing around at his companions.
He picks it up as long as no one stops him.
Gurzubar | Level 2
Character Sheet

GreyWolfVT

#17 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Galot Wenz will take a stone cloak & one of the charms v chaos. since I have only 11 slots and most of them are used.

mjulius
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#18 Post by mjulius »

Ollan gathers the six healing salves and the potion of invisibility.

I take all six salves but if we want to spread them out among the party, I'm cool with that too
UPDATE: I'll try to hold as much of the salves as possible. I may have to jettison some twine and glue, though.
Last edited by mjulius on Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wither Whither

Nate
Scout
Scout

#19 Post by Nate »

I would like to take a scroll or the wand if no one else is going to. I have two slots left.
Gurzubar | Level 2
Character Sheet

Nate
Scout
Scout

#20 Post by Nate »

I'm going to take the Fire ball scroll, Anti Chaos Pills and an ancient charm. If someone else wants Fireball I'll happily trade for another scroll. My slots are filled up now but I will drop my Blank Book and/or Hour Glass depending on what everyone else takes.
  • 1. Gambeson
    2. Helmet
    3. Mirror
    4. Hourglass
    5. Blank Book
    6. 1 day's rations
    7. 1 day's rations
    8. Sword of Demolition***
    9. ***
    10. Stone Cloak
    11. Anti Chaos pills
    12. Ancient Charm vs Chaos