004b - Cargo Transactions at Shedezar

ffilz
Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

004b - Cargo Transactions at Shedezar

#1 Post by Ramona »

Ana frowns as she looks across the field, the atmosphere is still heavy and opressive even at this altitude. She pulls out her pad and starts looking for a brokerage to see if there’s much of a market for their cargo here.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: 004 - Sheddezar

#2 Post by ffilz »

Ramona wrote:Ana frowns as she looks across the field, the atmosphere is still heavy and opressive even at this altitude. She pulls out her pad and starts looking for a brokerage to see if there’s much of a market for their cargo here.
Captain Wen had suggested holding the Machine Tools for sale at Arthiop. You could get a quote for purchase here, but might annoy folks if you don't take the offer.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#3 Post by Ramona »

ffilz wrote:
Ramona wrote:Ana frowns as she looks across the field, the atmosphere is still heavy and opressive even at this altitude. She pulls out her pad and starts looking for a brokerage to see if there’s much of a market for their cargo here.
Captain Wen had suggested holding the Machine Tools for sale at Arthiop. You could get a quote for purchase here, but might annoy folks if you don't take the offer.
Do we have room to take on cargo? I’m not terribly merchant prince savy.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by ffilz »

Ramona wrote:
ffilz wrote:
Do we have room to take on cargo? I’m not terribly merchant prince savy.
Yes, you're offloading 80 tons of contract cargo. But we won't worry too much about securing a new cargo until we hear from Eris again...
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by Eris »

Wen posts the ship's arrival and the freight they are delivering here on the local network as the ship nears Sheddezar. He'll be fielding replies from the contracted cargo's owners and coordinating off loading and delivery to the owners.

He'll also contact the Starport Office and ask about local rules concerning delivering freight here. He'll want to learn if he has to hire local stevedores and at what rate, and what fees are required.

Once the ship has landed he'll greet the local Port officials signing forms and paying landing and other fees as required. Wen keeps it professional, as he has done this sort of thing many times before, but he is also feeling out the locals to see how they handle things on Sheddezar.

OOC: Sorry to be AWOL. I'll try to do better from now on.

Eris
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by ffilz »

Eris wrote:Wen posts the ship's arrival and the freight they are delivering here on the local network as the ship nears Sheddezar. He'll be fielding replies from the contracted cargo's owners and coordinating off loading and delivery to the owners.

He'll also contact the Starport Office and ask about local rules concerning delivering freight here. He'll want to learn if he has to hire local stevedores and at what rate, and what fees are required.

Once the ship has landed he'll greet the local Port officials signing forms and paying landing and other fees as required. Wen keeps it professional, as he has done this sort of thing many times before, but he is also feeling out the locals to see how they handle things on Sheddezar.

Eris
No unusual fees (i.e. the book standard 100 cr landing fee). I'd guess that for contract cargo, the shipper and receiver pay the stevedores (either that or the Cr 1000/ton is actually slightly higher and you net Cr 1000/ton after paying stevedores). For speculative cargo, I'd guess that fees beyond paying a broker are just part of the purchase and sale prices.

So other than lots of extra paperwork, nothing unusual for ship ops here.

Frank

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by Eris »

ffilz wrote:
Eris wrote:Wen posts the ship's arrival and the freight they are delivering here on the local network as the ship nears Sheddezar. He'll be fielding replies from the contracted cargo's owners and coordinating off loading and delivery to the owners.

Eris
No unusual fees (i.e. the book standard 100 cr landing fee). I'd guess that for contract cargo, the shipper and receiver pay the stevedores (either that or the Cr 1000/ton is actually slightly higher and you net Cr 1000/ton after paying stevedores). For speculative cargo, I'd guess that fees beyond paying a broker are just part of the purchase and sale prices.

So other than lots of extra paperwork, nothing unusual for ship ops here.

Frank
OOC: Okay!

Wen pays the docking fee, fills out the paperwork and tries to chat with the Port Officals to get a good idea of how they feel about outsiders and if they've heard of any pirates/reavers operating in the area..."Can't be too safe these days can we?", he'll tell them. He also arranges for the local owners to pick up their cargo.

Wen let's the Officials know the ship will be travelling next to Arthiop and put that up on the local Network. He'll call, both a passenger and cargo broker, and see what passengers and freight might be wanting to book passage to Arthiop.

Wen wants to get all this business out of the way ASAP. Then he and the crew can spend a couple of days looking around Shedezar before lifting out.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#8 Post by Ramona »

Admin-1

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by ffilz »

Ramona wrote:Admin-1
You can use the dice roller (campaign 638) +2 per level of Admin, looking for 7+ will get you a list of unclaimed cargo lots. Often they can be freed up for back storage charges.

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#10 Post by Ramona »

ffilz wrote:
Ramona wrote:Admin-1
You can use the dice roller (campaign 638) +2 per level of Admin, looking for 7+ will get you a list of unclaimed cargo lots. Often they can be freed up for back storage charges.
Don’t see a dice roller in the campaign / links page, gonna let Sara reply before I railroad her any further.

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#11 Post by Ramona »

Oh... that big dicey looking thing in the top corner... I think I got in, new sign up, create character... campaign ID...

[2d6] = 7+2 Loot Crate looking

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by ffilz »

Ramona wrote:Oh... that big dicey looking thing in the top corner... I think I got in, new sign up, create character... campaign ID...

[2d6] = 7+2 Loot Crate looking
You pull up a list of abandoned cargos and find a 1-ton lot of diving equipment listed. Apparently it has accrued 10,000 cr in storage costs. It may be suspicious that someone wouldn't have picked them up since the value must be upwards of 100 kcr.

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#13 Post by Ramona »

ffilz wrote:You pull up a list of abandoned cargos and find a 1-ton lot of diving equipment listed. Apparently it has accrued 10,000 cr in storage costs. It may be suspicious that someone wouldn't have picked them up since the value must be upwards of 100 kcr.
After entering the bonding house Ana flags down one of the clerks and asks if she can peruse a list of unclaimed cargo lots. Sitting down across the room she moves quickly through the presumably short list identifying the cargo in question before scrolls across to look at the unpaid storage fees.

“Frak me,” she mutters quietly before skimming the rest of the list.

TGM - Does anything else catch her eye? Are they blind auctions? No clue whats inaide or are they ID’d?

Ana waves the attendant over and points out three or four lots with virtually identical storage fees, “Excuse me?” She leans in across the counter so as better to point at the clerks terminal, “these lots, here here and here. What can you tell us about them? We’ve got a running wager with the boss, he figures you can’t make money buying abandoned cargo, we disagree. He treats us to an expensive meal and a spa weekend if we win.”

lenusmars
Guide
Guide

#14 Post by lenusmars »

Ramona wrote: Ana motions in that direction and smiles at Sara, “You know most people call my eyes either piss yellow or devil woman eyes, golden nebula is a nice touch.”
Sara shakes her head. "You talk to the wrong people, or at least no one with any taste."
Ramona wrote:After entering the bonding house Ana flags down one of the clerks and asks if she can peruse a list of unclaimed cargo lots. Sitting down across the room she moves quickly through the presumably short list identifying the cargo in question before scrolls across to look at the unpaid storage fees.
Sara stays near Ana, smiling at the clerks, and generally watching Ana cut a swath through the place. She can see why Ana had a command, people seem to respond to her, pay attention. Hard to blame them.

Ana waves the attendant over and points out three or four lots with virtually identical storage fees, “Excuse me?” She leans in across the counter so as better to point at the clerks terminal, “these lots, here here and here. What can you tell us about them? We’ve got a running wager with the boss, he figures you can’t make money buying abandoned cargo, we disagree. He treats us to an expensive meal and a spa weekend if we win.”
Sara's eyes get a little round at the duties owed on the diving equipment. That...Seems a little steep just to be able to do diving. Is there something specialized in there that's necessary?

Sara grins at Ana when the clerk moves to check the things Ana has pointed out. "I'm all for skipping the cargo part and going straight to the spa weekend. Do you suppose they have virgin tears?"

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#15 Post by ffilz »

Ramona wrote:
ffilz wrote:You pull up a list of abandoned cargos and find a 1-ton lot of diving equipment listed. Apparently it has accrued 10,000 cr in storage costs. It may be suspicious that someone wouldn't have picked them up since the value must be upwards of 100 kcr.
After entering the bonding house Ana flags down one of the clerks and asks if she can peruse a list of unclaimed cargo lots. Sitting down across the room she moves quickly through the presumably short list identifying the cargo in question before scrolls across to look at the unpaid storage fees.

TGM - Does anything else catch her eye? Are they blind auctions? No clue whats inaide or are they ID’d?

There are some truly abandoned cargoes, they may be had for just the back storage fees. They may have been on auction previously with no bidders.

There are some where they have contact information, but the storage fees are overdue, those are auctioned off weekly, with any balance remaining after back storage fees less 10% going to the contact. Minimum bid is the back storage fees.

The cargoes have varying levels of identification. All may be inspected but not opened.

So several cargoes with about Cr 10,000 in back storage fees:

The aforementioned shipment from Delta Deep Dive LLC, 1 ton cargo container, sealed.

A lot of 5 one ton cargo containers from Shameel's Seafood, will be auctioned off in 2 days, sealed bids accepted until then. Mimimum bid Cr 9,500

A 5 ton mini-sub that had been imported from Hara (so it is TL10) will be auctioned off in 2 days, sealed bits accepted until then. Minimum bid Cr 10,200.

And one final abandoned cargo, a totally unmarked 1 ton shipping container, Cr 9,900 in back storage fees.

Ana's eyes also light on a 20 ton lot of Aluminum to be auctioned off in 2 days, sealed bids accepted until then. Minimum bid Cr 3,000 (She will note that Arthiop, their next destination is Non-Industrial which would present a +4 DM for sale price of Aluminum, which would average Cr 800 per ton purchase price here).

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#16 Post by Ramona »

Is there something we’re totally missing with diving here? I’m with Sara in the 10,000cr in late fees for a 100,000cr box of gear being nuts. Is it super specialized stuff? The Deep Dive makes me think this maybe more than a simple snorkling thing.

lenusmars
Guide
Guide

#17 Post by lenusmars »

It is a ton of diving equipment. So.... that’s a lot?

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#18 Post by Ramona »

I suppose that would depend on whether we’re talking about a metric ton of weight or a displacement ton of volume. A ton of weight for diving equipment really isn’t all that much a ton of volume for diving equipment is a lot. Unless the gear is superspecialized 100 K is an obseen cost for diving gear, unless it’s super specialized.

lenusmars
Guide
Guide

#19 Post by lenusmars »

The calculations used for book 2 for the shotgun example on p48 (81 I don't have the soft copy for 77) in the trade section seems to indicate metric tonnage? (3.75kg per shotgun, 266 shotguns) Of course that example is specifically about aligning the 'ton' with the price of goods, assuming leftover weight to be packing.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by ffilz »

One thing that is confusing is displacement tons and metric (mass) tons. The 1977 rules (which are the basis of what we are playing) actually don't specify whether ship and cargo tons are displacement or metric. The discussion about shotguns in the trade rules is based on a metric ton and trying to rationalize the base price with the price per shotgun (you know, one thing the rules really don't handle is wholesale vs. retail prices, and that one should actually use the trade rules to find the retail price of goods. If ATVs trade for an average of 60kcr per on a Ni A or Ni P world, then PCs shouldn't be able to purchase one for 30 kcr at the ATV dealer...

KCr 100 of diving gear is a lot... I got that estimate based on some correlation with a metric ton of underwater air tanks (a ton of rebrears would be even more valuable). The fact that someone hasn't picked up the container for KCr 10 perhaps should be suspicious...

Return to “Wine Dark Rift (Classic Traveller)”