OOC Random Discussion

ffilz
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: OOC Random Discussion

#101 Post by ffilz »

I'm going to let some more responses bubble up before I respond to anything.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#102 Post by Leitz »

joertexas wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:44 pm One huge advantage of this game format is that we can concurrently run as many threads as we wish. It's more work for the GM, but it's an option.
That's the difficult part.
joertexas wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:44 pm Lastly, I've put a fair bit of time into Vee, and I'd like to play her more to see what happens.
I only have a few hours in Larry, so it's easier to let go. But yes, I understand how important the investment can get.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#103 Post by Tiglath »

We have a plan as above and a group of players who are good role players and gamers but we will require more GM input to carry the game forward. However, if that becomes burdensome then one of us is not having fun and we need to address that because that is surely the reason we're all here?
Player: Jonathan/Tiglath
Sigrun Volsung, 9B7886, Lt Commander, 3 terms, age 31
Gun Cbt 3 (Rifle 2, Pistol 1), Melee Cbt 1 (Axe), Pilot 1,
Gunnery 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1, Recon 1,
Electronics 0, Grav Vehicle 0
Enemy: Imperial Navy (Lunion) Ine Givar(?)

lenusmars
Guide
Guide

#104 Post by lenusmars »

ffilz wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:46 pm So we've gone over a month and haven't managed to really move things along. At this point, I don't see how to get this campaign back on track. Part of it is that chasing after the noble situation is a "bigger" thing than what I had really set up for the Wine Dark Rift. Sure, I put a background that the Imperium is contracting and as a result little wars and other trouble is breaking out, but this campaign has drifted more towards the politics of that contraction rather than the consequences. Maybe I'm reading things wrong.

I also feel like the role play of interactions between the PCs has started to take so much volume people not involved are getting bored, and it seems to be slowing down reaction to the situation and moving the game forward. I get that in part, the role play broke out amidst my getting stalled. The reality is I'm struggling with how to move this game forward, and maybe part of the reality is a struggle with making Traveller itself work.
My experience with pbp games is that the vast majority of them dwindle and die. I like the characters here, and honestly roleplay interactions are the reason I play at all. Particularly in asynchronous text games like this one.

In most games I've been in, it's not unusual for players to drop out (one or two at least) but it is more unusual for people to join in later. This particular game has seen a lot of both. One of the things new players run into is that they don't have the history and background of interaction that the longer term players have had to this point. And I can see where that is unwelcoming, especially if those of us already in don't reach out in some substantial way.

For example now we have Cmdr. Taheri and Larry both of whom are pretty recent, and are fine, interesting characters, but where do they get a hook in? Where do we get a situation that gives us a chance to interact substantially? Larry got some with the sort of 'interview' with Vee. Taheri has made some pretty funny comments, but not gotten a lot of screen time relative to the rest of us chewing the scenery. I know I've felt bad that she hasn't gotten much interaction. And I would like for that interaction to take place.

It's not as if we know each other well enough for considerations of style or what's expected in the game by everyone. I'm not sure how close to the same page we all are. But to be frank (not the official one) I don't know what 'move things along' means. Forward to where? Does someone need to be wrangling, pushing us on to the next thing, and prompting the GM? What situation are we talking about reacting to? The most pressing situation brought up has been Foix's concern over the fate of his family's domain. Perfectly logical as an organizing principle. What else do we have that's even half as pressing? I see the politics as part of the consequences of the contraction, not apart from them. And we're not dealing with the politics of the whole rift at once.

Part of the drama stuff has gotten started as us just responding to each other's prompts in the absence of other things happening.

If you don't want to do the noble bit, Frank, I get that. I'm good to keep playing, if we can figure out what and how we want to do so. But I've done GM for a bunch of pbp games and its not the easiest lift, so I understand if you don't want to keep on.

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#105 Post by Ramona »

I would like to but if it's to much for you. World is a bit of a ball of confusion right now so I completely understand.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#106 Post by Leitz »

My quality of life improves greatly when I do fewer things. I can do them better. Doing that means letting go of that which I am not most passionate about. Even if it means losing thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours invested, life is better when I focus.

Several years ago I was in a 1960's spy game based on the "Leverage" game system. We got started, I was invested in my character, and then the game died out. I had been writing short scenes for my characters for a long time, but really liked the PC I had made for the game; I wanted to see what happened with him. That "fan fiction" effort was the first book length story I had ever written, and I enjoyed the process. It was a lousy book, but I learned a lot. Writing was a lot more fun than urging the DM to continue a game they weren't passionate about.

My impression is that it is time to wrap. I pulled Larry from the game so that ffilz didn't feel any pressure from me. The remaining PCs are poised on a new direction; the game can be archived, and if/when it's time to pick up, then do so. Some of you may be itching to try your hand at writing, and this is a perfect opportunity.

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#107 Post by SpinwardMarch »

I'm fine with splitting up the group. Taheri is not a "court" person; intrigue is not her thing. She should be on a ship, doing what she does best: Keeping the ship running and shooting things.

I can save her character for a later game, if necessary. I actually have a binder full of old Traveller characters in the games bookcase.
SpinwardMarch

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#108 Post by ffilz »

Ok, I hear lots of desire to keep this game going and I'm not opposed to it keeping going, but one thing I need is more clear statements of action that require GM input. I'm ok with in character chit chat that doesn't necessarily change the situation in a way the GM needs to respond to, but I need to be able to spot the action that is being taken that DOES need a GM response, so help me out and let's see where this goes.

I'm actually NOT in favor of too much splitting up because that actually creates more threads to follow. Also, at this point I really don't have energy to expand the setting off map.

Also, if I seem to be taking too long to respond, PM me and I'll let you know if I missed a cue, or if I'm just momentarily busy and haven't had time to respond.

If we can get this moving again, I'm happy to continue.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by joertexas »

ffilz wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:34 pm Ok, I hear lots of desire to keep this game going and I'm not opposed to it keeping going, but one thing I need is more clear statements of action that require GM input. I'm ok with in character chit chat that doesn't necessarily change the situation in a way the GM needs to respond to, but I need to be able to spot the action that is being taken that DOES need a GM response, so help me out and let's see where this goes.

I'm actually NOT in favor of too much splitting up because that actually creates more threads to follow. Also, at this point I really don't have energy to expand the setting off map.

Also, if I seem to be taking too long to respond, PM me and I'll let you know if I missed a cue, or if I'm just momentarily busy and haven't had time to respond.

We're in the process of working out a plan of action, which will probably involve us splitting into two groups. Is that acceptable?
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#110 Post by ffilz »

joertexas wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:35 am
ffilz wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:34 pm Ok, I hear lots of desire to keep this game going and I'm not opposed to it keeping going, but one thing I need is more clear statements of action that require GM input. I'm ok with in character chit chat that doesn't necessarily change the situation in a way the GM needs to respond to, but I need to be able to spot the action that is being taken that DOES need a GM response, so help me out and let's see where this goes.

We're in the process of working out a plan of action, which will probably involve us splitting into two groups. Is that acceptable?
We'll see how it works out. Let me know when you're ready for GM input...

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by joertexas »

ffilz wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:19 amWe'll see how it works out. Let me know when you're ready for GM input...
I posted a request for news from two other systems...
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by Tiglath »

More info (if available to the PCs) would help please.

Foix is currently posed a question that will need GM input in whole or part to answer.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#113 Post by ffilz »

Tiglath wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:49 pm More info (if available to the PCs) would help please.

Foix is currently posed a question that will need GM input in whole or part to answer.
Sorry, I see Vee's news search, but I'm missing Foix's request (it may be back a page or two? That's one of the problems when the role play coasts on past a GM request, it's hard for me to find it...).

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by Tiglath »

Not a request by Foix per se but background for a question posed to him by Ana.

"More to the point, is she even aware that you're alive?"

I assume Foix wouldn't know unless there's anything in campaign that would determine otherwise.

Some contingency aspect to the "family rings" that would somehow "mail" or relay a message to the homeworld?

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#115 Post by ffilz »

I have been using some additional world background generators for my upcoming Roll20 Traveller campaign, I think I will use them on the Imperial worlds around you and that may generate a bit more stuff to work with... It will take me a few days to get to that though...

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#116 Post by Ramona »

What if you were vaporized in a nuclear strike or misjumped into an exploding star? Relying on your family jewels to send a message for a guy who's in the business of being on the sharp end of the stick.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#117 Post by Tiglath »

I'm guessing the "back channel" would only ever be needed in the extreme case where there were no witnesses to confirm the sad demise.

Or the assassin didn't come back to report in! :twisted:

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#118 Post by ffilz »

Ok, I've given this a lot of thought and the reality is this campaign has gone a direction I just don't have the heart or energy for. In a few days time I will ask the campaign be archived and I will be taking a break from running a game here on Unseen Servant and when I come back as a GM, I will be putting forward something entirely different.

I've enjoyed this campaign and will miss it, but I won't miss the daily mental gymnastics over trying to figure out how to respond and move the game forward, and that release of burden will make it easier for me to run my other games.

Thanks

Franl

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#119 Post by Ramona »

I’ll miss it Frank, take a rest.

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#120 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Thank you for the fun, and take a break. See you over at Roll20 /Hangouts for the other game. Cmdr. Taheri will go into my character collection.
SpinwardMarch

Return to “Wine Dark Rift (Classic Traveller)”