Session 3: Day Two in the Citadel

DM: Dave
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Session 3: Day Two in the Citadel

#41 Post by dmw71 »

I still don't know how active I'm going to be able to be for the foreseeable future, but I'll do the best I can to keep things moving... even moving more slowly has to be better than completely stalling, right?

Initiative Order
22: Klilxuac, Hargrem
21: Durnn
20: Grenl
18: Guards, Goblins
13: Sky
12: Erky
6: Kelben

---

Round 2
Faced with three goblins in front of him, Klilxuac sends a bolt of energy streaking toward each of them and admires his arcane handiwork as one goblin after another collapses into an unmoving mass, seemingly ending the threat in the goblin "lair" area outside of Chief Durnn's quarters.

Hargrem catches a glimpse of the goblin shaman preparing to cast a spell and, witnessing the puff of green, noxious gas advancing in his position, holds his breath until the mist dissipates and escapes any ill affects of the attack. The cleric prays quickly and attempts to reach out at the goblin leader with a glowing hand -- but the heavily armored Durnn is able to easily fed off the attempt. Hargrem then commands his spiritual hammer to close on the goblin shaman, but the creature manages to successfully slip out of harms way.

Durnn, angered after his last strike -- which he was confident was successful -- suddenly missed, redoubles and makes another well-targeted strike at the cleric, clipping Hargrem with a less powerful blow (-6).

Hargrem recognizes the next spell being cast in his and Sky's direction by the goblin caster -- Bane; the very spell that it is currently affected by. Both the cleric and bard feel an intense feeling of evil thrust in their directions!

The pair of hobgoblin guards squaring off against Hargrem are unable to penetrate the cleric's defenses.

Sky watches as the hobgoblin in front of her falls to the ground and starts snoring. She turns to the goblin shaman -- only goblin in the room -- and watches as the goblin caster slips into a slumber.

Kelben, without an opponent in the goblin lair, hurries through the door and targets the nearest hobgoblin, which is standing just inside the door. The rouge sinks his rapier into the unsuspecting hobgoblins ribs; the creature screams out in pain before succumbing to what proves to be a fatal injury.
R02.jpg
R02.jpg (163.72 KiB) Viewed 1732 times

"You fight well," Durnn barks out in crude common. "Save face and surrender now!"

---

Monsieur Rose and Shaede, can you please make Charisma saving throws (DC 11) versus the 'Bane' spell attack leveled against Hargrem and Sky?

Also, Monsieur Rose, feel free to let me know after each update if you want to use your 'Cutting Words' (if so, with your roll, and also let me know against which action) and I will revise any action, as needed.

Please declare any actions and/or movement for round 3.

---

Date: 14 Flamerule 1489
Time: 06:30 (Sunrise: 05:54, Sunset: 20:09)
Temp: 57°F
Conditions: Cool.
Light Sources:
  • Klilxuac: 'Light' spell (purple; 20' radius + 20' dim) on small pebble (Extinguished: 14 Flamerule @ 7:20)
Known Conditions/Spells in Effect:
  • Klilxuac: 'Light' spell (Cantrip) (Detailed in 'Light Sources' section, above.) (Detailed in 'Light Sources' section, above.)
  • Klilxuac: 'Mage Armor' spell (1st-level) (Ends: 14 Flamerule @ 14:21)
  • Hargrem: 'Bane' (on Grenl) (Ends: 14 Flamerule @ 06:39)
  • Hargrem: 'Spiritual Hammer' (Ends: 14 Flamerule @ 06:39)
  • Sky: 'Sleep' (on Guard #3) (Ends: 14 Flamerule @ 6:39)
  • Sky: 'Sleep' (on Grenl) (Ends: 14 Flamerule @ 6:40)
Character Status ---

Marching Orders
Scout
  • Kelben
5-foot
  • Hargrem
    Kelben
    Sky
    Klilxuac
    Erky
10-foot
  • Kelben | Hargrem
    Erky
    Klilxuac | Sky
Rolls
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#42 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben attacks the hobgoblin to Hargrem's left.
Rapier To Hit: [1d20+4] = 2+4 = 6, Damage: [1d8+2] = 8+2 = 10
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#43 Post by Scott308 »

Qelgrax Klilxuac

Qelgrax steps toward the doorway, making sure he is able to see what appears to be the Chief. I would have accepted your surrender, but... the sorcerer says to him, before sending purple bolts of energy streaking through and around the combatants before they strike the chief. ...I don't like you.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sky
Charisma Save: [1d20+5] = 2+5 = 7
Thanks Dave. I'll hold off on using cutting words this time. I'll be sure to mention when I want to use it.
Feeling a bit out of sorts after the Goblin cursed her, Sky tries her best to shake it off and refocus. "Pull the hammer off the goblin! Don't wake her up!" Sky moves to the sleeping hobgoblin at her feet and pulls her rapier. She places it above the neck of the snoring hobgoblin, hovering just above in preparation of a killing stroke.

"Durnn! Where are the humans? Tell me or your minion will die!" If he answers amicably, she won't execute the hobgoblin. If not, she does.

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#45 Post by Shaede »

Hargrem

The cleric felt the words put out by the shaman and instantly recognized their evil intent. Oh no, today is not the day, my friend, he said to the goblin allowing the words to roll off of his back. But, he was too distracted by the shaman to see Durnn trying to strike him down. Hargrem managed to dodge slightly, but not fast enough as Durnn clips him in the process.

Then, the tabaxi yelled to move the ephermeral hammer, and Hargrem obliged. He moved it to the remaining hobgoblin guard and struck at him. The hammer struck true right on top of the vile creature's head. He then readied his Tymora given fire to be hurled at the next enemy.
Charisma Save: [1d20+1] = 12+1 = 13
Move: None
Bonus Action: Spiritual Hammer at Guard next to Durnn
To Hit: [1d20+5] = 16+5 = 21
Damage: [1d8+3] = 8+3 = 11
Action: Cast Sacred Flame at Guard, if the guard is still alive after the spiritual weapon attack (Dex 13 Save)
[1d8] = 8
OR
If the guard is dead, Ready Sacred Flame to cast at Durnn if he does not answer Sky in a nice and friendly manner.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#46 Post by dmw71 »

Initiative Order
22: Klilxuac, Hargrem
21: Durnn
20: Grenl
18: Guards, Goblins
13: Sky
12: Erky
6: Kelben

---

Round 3
"I would have accepted your surrender," Klilxuac starts. "But I don't like you." the sorcerer finishes, while releasing three purple bolts of energy which unerringly streak through and around the combatants before striking their -- the chief -- one right after the other. Durnn emits a loud, pained "Ahh!," which he quickly attempts to cover as an angry growl so as to not show any sign of weakness.

Hargrem commands his ephemeral hammer across the room -- gliding it over the open shaft in its middle -- and lands it directly behind Durnn, and adjacent to the remaining guard. With a powerful, unsuspected strike, the spiritual weapon crashes down on the guard's skull, creating a loud cracking sound as the guard collapses into an unmoving mess. Hargrem himself holds his ground, his shield and practiced prayer readied... just in case.

Durnn, realizing he appears to be the lone survivor and has no one else to save face for, tosses his massive longsword down.
Durnn.jpg
Durnn.jpg (108.45 KiB) Viewed 1718 times

"You win," he says flatly. "You get lucky, but you win."

---

Actions?

---

Time: 06:31 (Sunrise: 05:54, Sunset: 20:09)
Light Sources:
  • Klilxuac: 'Light' spell (purple; 20' radius + 20' dim) on small pebble (Extinguished: 14 Flamerule @ 7:20)
  • Klilxuac: 'Light' spell (Cantrip) (Detailed in 'Light Sources' section, above.) (Detailed in 'Light Sources' section, above.)
  • Grenl: 'Bane' (on Sky) (Ends: 14 Flamerule @ 06:41)
Character Status ---

Marching Orders
Scout
  • Kelben
5-foot
  • Hargrem
    Kelben
    Sky
    Klilxuac
    Erky
10-foot
  • Kelben | Hargrem
    Erky
    Klilxuac | Sky
Rolls
-- Project --
-- DM --

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sky

As the chief drops his sword Sky relaxes a bit. She still feels a sense of dread but pushes through. "Glad to hear it. Now, where are the humans that came here?" She turns to the others. She keeps her rapier poised above the sleeping guard.

"Nice work! Do you have anything to bind these two?"

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#48 Post by dmw71 »

Questioning Durnn
"You win," Durnn says flatly. "You get lucky, but you win."

"Glad to hear it,"
Sky responds, still a bit skittish despite the surrender attempt. "Now, where are the humans that came here?" The tabaxi keeps her rapier poised over the sleeping guard while calling on the others to bind the sleeping adversaries, and potentially the leader as well.

"They down there --"" Durnn grunts, indicating the shaft with a clawed finger. "Well, two of 'em anyway....

... I killed the third!"
he snarls after a deliberate beat.

---

Actions?

---

Time: 06:32 (Sunrise: 05:54, Sunset: 20:09)
Light Sources:
Character Status ---

Marching Orders
Scout
  • Kelben
5-foot
  • Hargrem
    Kelben
    Sky
    Klilxuac
    Erky
10-foot
  • Kelben | Hargrem
    Erky
    Klilxuac | Sky
Rolls
  • None.
-- Project --
-- DM --

GreyWolfVT

#49 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben moves to the indicated door that the humans are in. "Find out who he killed Sky." the gnome says over his shoulder as he heads to the professed door and listens and checks for traps.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Scott308

#50 Post by Scott308 »

Qelgrax Klilxuac

The dragonborn begins tying up the prisoners.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sky

Sky looks genuinely perplexed. "Why? Why would you kill one? And who was it?" She watches Kelben wander off towards a door, then turns back to Durnn.

"How did you come to lead this group of goblins? I can't think they are happy with the situation."

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#52 Post by Shaede »

Hargrem

The cleric helped the dragonborn tie up the prisoners, including Durnn. He wanted to be sure that they could not impede their progress of finding the children. At the mention of killing one of the humans, Hargrem felt a punch in his gut. Oh, your time will come, Tymora willing he said to the leader.

After they were secured, he looked down the shaft to see what was below.
Action: HELP Klilxuac

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#53 Post by dmw71 »

Questioning Durnn
Klilxuac circles around the shaft in the floor as he crosses the room and safely binds Grenl, the goblin caster. At the same time, Hargrem takes care of binding the sleeping hobgoblin guard.

With the sleeping adversaries secured, Kelben moves over to the two-foot wall surrounding the shaft; down which Durnn indicated the humans could be found. At least two of them.

A quick inspection of the shaft has the gnome believing it to be safe, and the rogue notes thick, pale vines line the shaft which he suspects could easily serve as knotted rope for the purposes of climbing.

The shaft is deep enough where the bottom cannot be seen.

Durnn confesses to Sky that Belak wanted all the living human prisoners sent down to him, but he killed the younger man after the male insulted him. The goblin leader shares that the female -- Sharwyn -- was most pained over the death which leads you to suspect that the younger man was her twin brother, Talgen.

The group recalls that Erky previously mentioned the name Belak -- the man thought -- or at least rumored -- to be behind the magical apples... and now, perhaps behind a kidnapping.
Shaft.jpg
Shaft.jpg (101.14 KiB) Viewed 1662 times

"Only the girl and the shiny man go down to the grove."

---

Actions?

---

Time: 06:33 (Sunrise: 05:54, Sunset: 20:09)
Light Sources:
Character Status ---

Marching Orders
Scout
  • Kelben
5-foot
  • Hargrem
    Kelben
    Sky
    Klilxuac
    Erky
10-foot
  • Kelben | Hargrem
    Erky
    Klilxuac | Sky
Rolls
  • None.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308

#54 Post by Scott308 »

Qelgrax Klilxuac

The sorcerer leans in closely to Durnn, allowing the chief to get an up-close view of the dragonborn's fangs as he questions him. And what, precisely, did you do with the body? We have been hired to retrieve some people, and you are making our jobs more difficult. I don't like difficult.

GreyWolfVT

#55 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben looks around for something to drop down the hole to gauge how deep it is.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#56 Post by dmw71 »

Talgen's Fate
"Burnt," Durnn quips at Klilxuac's inquiry as to the whereabouts of Talgen's body. The leader admits that a large fire was held in the "lair" in the next room -- through which you entered moments earlier -- and, while he didn't participate in the festivities, he admits that his goblin followers, as part of a celebration, roasted the remains.

Nearby, Kelben locates and drops a pebble into the shaft. It takes a long second before striking a solid surface below, and the gnome's best estimate is that it's not quite 100-feet deep, but definitely more than the 60-feet allowed by his darkvision.

The rogue's attention is quickly drawn by the large iron chest that sits in front of Durnn's throne.
Shaft.jpg
Shaft.jpg (100.23 KiB) Viewed 1653 times
It is locked.

---

Actions?

---

Time: 06:34 (Sunrise: 05:54, Sunset: 20:09)
Light Sources:
Character Status ---

Marching Orders
Scout
  • Kelben
5-foot
  • Hargrem
    Kelben
    Sky
    Klilxuac
    Erky
10-foot
  • Kelben | Hargrem
    Erky
    Klilxuac | Sky
Rolls
  • None.
-- Project --
-- DM --

GreyWolfVT

#57 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben gives picking the lock a try before trying to get a key from one of the goblins.

Ability/Skill/Stat Check Rolls [1d20] = 12

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#58 Post by dmw71 »

Chest and Treasure
Durnn observes with a smirk as Kelben kneels alongside the chest and begins to fiddle with the lock. His smirk is replaced with an impressed look mixed with surprise as the rogue manages to finagle the tumblers... without disturbing the needle trap set to penalize unauthorized access. Cracking the iron chest open, the velvet-lined interior houses two sacks -- one large and one small -- each cinched with yellow drawstrings. The larger sack contains 231 gold pieces, and smaller contains two small onyx gemstones.

Erky settles alongside Sky and, speaking in a near whisper, points out that the splint armor Durnn wears seems ill-fitting, and it also bears the Hucrele family crest you recall seeing being sported by Lady Hucrele. Once attention is drawn to the goblin king's possessions, a gold signet ring, forced over one of its fat knuckles, also stands out as being an acquired possession of the Hucrele family.

A more thorough search of the goblin king produces a key -- which fits the iron chest. Grenl, the bound shaman, also possesses a key which matches the one already in Sky's possession. The only other item of note are a pair of silver earrings, set with moonstones, punched into one of the hobgoblin guards ears. The same hobgoblin also wears a matching necklace.

---

Kelben: 12+6 = 18 vs Lock (DC 15) -- success

Actions?

---

Time: 06:35 (Sunrise: 05:54, Sunset: 20:09)
Light Sources:
Character Status ---

Marching Orders
Scout
  • Kelben
5-foot
  • Hargrem
    Kelben
    Sky
    Klilxuac
    Erky
10-foot
  • Kelben | Hargrem
    Erky
    Klilxuac | Sky
Rolls
  • None.
-- Project --
-- DM --

GreyWolfVT

#59 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben stows both sacks in his pack for the time being then walks over to Durnn "Purty fancy jewelry you've got there." motioning with one hand "Hand it over."

Scott308

#60 Post by Scott308 »

Qelgrax Klilxuac

Unfortunately for you, some of the items we were specifically requested to recover happen to be on your person at the moment. We are going to need them. You can give them up freely, or we can cut them off of you. I don't believe Lady Hucrele would be upset if we brought her back the ring still attached to the finger of whoever murdered and burned her son.

Return to “Tales From the Yawning Portal (5e)”