Session 3: Day Two in the Citadel

DM: Dave
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: Session 3: Day Two in the Citadel

#21 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben shrugs and points to the door to the south first and nods waiting for the others to join him before acting further.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#22 Post by Scott308 »

Qelgrax Klilxuac

So...goblins or more goblins, huh? Can't say that I am surprised. The sorcerer follows Sky to the door.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#23 Post by dmw71 »

South Doors
"Which door do you fancy?" Sky whispers to Kelben. "Sounds like goblins behind both." Sky's head darts back and forth between each door before finally settling on the door in the southern wall. "That one," she says quietly. "Wait here -- I'll go get the others," she says scampering off; returning momentarily with Klilxuac, Hargrem, and Elky trailing behind.

Once everyone is in place, Kelben examines the door in the southern wall, and deems it to be both safe an unlocked. The rogue quietly pulls the lever and pushes the door inwards to reveal what might have once have been a cathedral -- but is now a goblin lair, thick with the filth of years of goblin life. Scores of wall- and floor-mounted sconces filled with violet-glowing fungi provide illumination.
Goblin Lair.jpg
Goblin Lair.jpg (198.97 KiB) Viewed 2165 times
Along the southern wall is a heaping pile of assorted items, including wagon wheels, broken armor and rusted arms, chests, small statues, antique furniture, and artwork.

Dozens of goblins go about their daily business -- which involves a lot of rudeness and violence -- and all activity stops once they realize the door has been opened.

Many, many, many goblin eyes now stare at the group.

---

Please roll for Initiative, and declare any actions and/or movement.

Ed, we can wait until you're ready... or I can NPC you, allowing others to make the decisions.

Actions?

---

Date: 14 Flamerule 1489
Time: 06:26 (Sunrise: 05:54, Sunset: 20:09)
Temp: 57°F
Conditions: Cool.
Light Sources:
  • Klilxuac: 'Light' spell (purple; 20' radius + 20' dim) on small pebble (Extinguished: 14 Flamerule @ 7:20)
Known Conditions/Spells in Effect:
  • Klilxuac: 'Light' spell (Cantrip) (Detailed in 'Light Sources' section, above.) (Detailed in 'Light Sources' section, above.)
  • Klilxuac: 'Mage Armor' spell (1st-level) (Ends: 14 Flamerule @ 14:21)
Character Status ---

Marching Orders
Scout
  • Kelben
5-foot
  • Hargrem
    Kelben
    Sky
    Klilxuac
    Erky
10-foot
  • Kelben | Hargrem
    Erky
    Klilxuac | Sky
Rolls
  • None.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#24 Post by Shaede »

Hargrem

Once again, the party stumbled upon a situation that seemed pretty dire. If not handled well, it could spell their end. The cleric moved to the doorway, pushing Kelben out of the way. He wanted to get between the goblin threat and his companions. As he moved into position, he said to Kelben, "Please allow me!'

Adequately put into a defensive position, Hargrem lifts his shield and starts chanting to Tymora. His shield starts to glow and the radiance shoots out to the others. They seem to feel strengthened and energized by Hargrem's words.

Afterwards, the cleric then looked back towards the goblins and started reciting another prayer in a tongue not known to anyone. Again, the shield glowed, but this time, the shield did not stop. Hargrem was ready for anything.
Initiative: [1d20+2] = 13+2 = 15
Move: To doorway
Action: Cast Bless on each of the other party members.
Bonus Action: Cast Shield of Faith

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sky

Sky sees an opportunity for an audience, something she has been missing as of late. She steps forward into the room, smiling broadly.

"Greetings my friends! I have finally found you all. I have traveled many days to reach your tribe, and I look forward to doing business with you."

She looks around, smiling at each of the goblins. "I have been told that your chief Durnn is here and is interested in our goods. Can anyone here speak common?"

"Until then, I have a gift for you. Come, come. A little token of our future deals." Sky pulls out some coin and tosses a few at the nearest goblins.
Initiative: [1d20+4] = 15+4 = 19
Persuasion/Deception: [1d20+7] = 19+7 = 26 :lol:

Scott308

#26 Post by Scott308 »

Qelgrax Klilxuac

Seeing the approach Sky is taking, the sorcerer will wait to see how the goblins react before doing anything other than moving into a position where he can try to breath fire on several goblins, should they choose to close and attack.
Initiative: [1d20+2] = 8+2 = 10

Klilxuac will ready an action. If the goblins attack and he is able to get three or more goblins (and none of his party members) in the cone of fire, he will use his breath weapon on them.

Fire Breath (Dex save for half DC 11) Damage: [2d6] = 7
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#27 Post by dmw71 »

Initiative Order
  • 19: Sky
  • 15: Hargrem
  • 12: Goblins
  • 10: Klilxuac
  • 8: Kelben
---

Round 1
"Greetings my friends!" Sky starts, smiling broadly, as she steps forward into the room. "I have finally found you all. I have traveled many days to reach your tribe, and I look forward to doing business with you."

She scans the room, smiling at each of the goblins. "I have been told that your chief Durnn is here and is interested in our goods... can anyone here speak common?"
R01.jpg
R01.jpg (171.96 KiB) Viewed 2146 times
Most of the goblins appear panicked, and back away into the furthest corners of the room. A few of the more sturdy goblins advance -- slightly.

Upon hearing the word "Durnn," almost to a member, while they do not reply in common, the goblins almost all point to the door in the curved wall in front of them, and off to your right as you face them.

---

I'm going to hold all actions at this point. No spells have been cast, or breath weapons released.

There's a chance that both can be avoided. If you want.

Actions?

---

Time: 06:27 (Sunrise: 05:54, Sunset: 20:09)
Light Sources:
  • Klilxuac: 'Light' spell (purple; 20' radius + 20' dim) on small pebble (Extinguished: 14 Flamerule @ 7:20)
  • Klilxuac: 'Light' spell (Cantrip) (Detailed in 'Light Sources' section, above.) (Detailed in 'Light Sources' section, above.)
Character Status ---

Marching Orders
Scout
  • Kelben
5-foot
  • Hargrem
    Kelben
    Sky
    Klilxuac
    Erky
10-foot
  • Kelben | Hargrem
    Erky
    Klilxuac | Sky
Rolls
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308

#28 Post by Scott308 »

Qelgrax Klilxuac

Klilxuac will wait to see what Sky does. He will ready a fire breath if goblins attack and he can hit three or more at once.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sky

Sky notices that most of the goblins shy away from the group save a handful. She focuses her attention on those brave souls. "Ah. You must be the protectors. Alas, I never learned Goblin." Sky remarks with arms spread wide and a smile on her face.

She points over at the door in the curved wall. "Chief Durnn is this way? Excellent." She motions for the guard goblins to lead the way. If none do, she will start moving towards the door.

"Right this way gentlemen, the chief awaits us."

GreyWolfVT

#30 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben uneasy with the situation as it is waits to see how things play out with Sky's lead.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#31 Post by dmw71 »

Hall of the Goblin Chief
Noticing that most of the goblins are noncombatants and too feeble or too fearful to defend themselves, Sky focuses her attention on those brave souls. She points over at the door in the curved wall. "Chief Durnn is this way? Excellent." she says, motioning for one of the one of the goblin guards to lead the way. When they back away instead, she takes the lead and moves to the door. "Right this way gentlemen, the chief awaits us."

After the door is deemed to be safe from traps, it is opened to reveal 40-foot-diameter domed chamber highlighted by a circular shaft which pierces the floor of the space leading into a lower level. Dim violet light shines out of the shaft, revealing sickly white and gray vines that coat its walls. The light is supplemented by four lit wall torches set equidistant around the periphery of the chamber.

A crudely fashioned stone throne sits against the curve of the northwestern wall, and upon this throne resides whom you perceive to be Durnn, the chief of the Durbuluk tribe, wearing a suit of polished and shiny splint armor. The chief, a large goblinoid with dark orange skin, is flanked by a smaller goblin wearing robes.

A large iron chest serves as the throne’s footstool, and in a wide stone pot next to the throne appears to be a tree sapling.
Durnn.jpg
Durnn.jpg (138.25 KiB) Viewed 2129 times
Caught lounging on stone benches which line the outer wall of this circular space are three more dark orange skinned goblinoids -- suspected to be hobgoblins. These guards wear chain mail and carry swords and shields.

"Haar daal!" the chief bellows in the familiar, but not understood goblin tongue, while leveling his sword against those on the the side of the door leading to his chamber. Erky mumbles a translation: "Get them!"

---

Please roll for initiative and provide any actions and/or movement for round 1.

---

Time: 06:28 (Sunrise: 05:54, Sunset: 20:09)
Light Sources:
Character Status ---

Marching Orders
Scout
  • Kelben
5-foot
  • Hargrem
    Kelben
    Sky
    Klilxuac
    Erky
10-foot
  • Kelben | Hargrem
    Erky
    Klilxuac | Sky
Rolls
  • None.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308

#32 Post by Scott308 »

Qelgrax Klilxuac

Not trusting the goblins and expecting an attack, the sorcerer springs into action when he hears Erky say, "Get them." Unsure if it was a translation or a suggestion, Klilxuac would have done the same thing in either case. He turns around, belching a gout of flame at the confused goblin warriors southeast of his position, roaring in Draconic, Die, goblin scum!
Initiative: [1d20+2] = 20+2 = 22

Fire Breath (Dex save for half DC 11) Damage: [2d6] = 5
I don't know if I can hit all four, but I think I can get three of them.

Intimidation: [1d20+3] = 4+3 = 7
Meanwhile, the goblins are thinking, "Wook at the cute widdle dwagon!" :lol:

GreyWolfVT

#33 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben wishes he was invisible at this point but attempts to fight should the group in the larger room decide to attack.

if needed

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sky

As she opens the door and sees the scene, Sky starts to talk but is rudely interrupted. "Damn it. Why can't people be less aggressive?" She starts to cast something. Barely audible under the clamor of the hobgoblins, a soft melody can be heard.
Initiative: [1d20+4] = 9+4 = 13
Sky attempts to cast Sleep centered about 12 feet from her, so that it encompasses the two brutes on the west.
That escalated quickly. :D

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#35 Post by Shaede »

Hargrem

The cleric of Tymora sprung into action as the plan seemed to have gone awry. Come to think of it, most of their plans have gone awry, though, in the end they have come out victorious! "Today is no different," he said to nobody in particular.

He charged the door and stood in between the goblins and the rest of the party. He was acting like the stop gap between the nasties and the rest of his companions. He lifted his shield and some clear words of hatred came from his mouth aimed directly at the northern goblins. He noticed as Tymora's bane attempted to seep into their otherwise disgusting faces.

As soon as he completed his words, he moved his shield in another pattern and yelled, "I summon thee, Tymora's Hammer!" and a ghostly hammer appeared right next to the goblin leader. It was wielded by nobody, yet it struck out at the leader with vigor.
Initiative: [1d20+2] = 20+2 = 22
Move: To Doorway!
Action: Cast Bane on Durnn, and the two other goblins to the north (Lvl 1 Spell Slot)
Bonus Action:Cast Spiritual Weapon placing it right next to Durnn and attacking him (Lvl 2 Spell Slot)
To Hit: [1d20+5] = 2+5 = 7
Damage: [1d8+3] = 7+3 = 10

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#36 Post by dmw71 »

Initiative Order
22: Klilxuac, Hargrem
21: Durnn
20: Grenl
18: Guards, Goblins
13: Sky
12: Erky
6: Kelben

---

Round 1
Not trusting the goblins, Klilxuac repositions himself so he'll be able to capture all the potential threats trailing behind the group in the cone of his breath weapon. With a deep, guttural roar, the sorcerer emits a burst of flame from his mouth which successfully singes all four potential -- but now certain -- goblin adversaries. They scatter, but not in time. "loreat, anqu scum!" the dragonborn bellows in his native language as the goblins pat down any stray items or clothing that remain in flames as they prepare to regroup for an attack.

Hargrem charges into the room and assumes a position between the door and the pair hobgoblin guards just off to his left. The cleric lifts his shield and speaks some words of hate at the trio of targets in the far side of the room and watches the face of the robed goblin next to Durnn twist into a disgusting expression at it succumbs to the cleric's 'Bane' spell. The leader himself and the other targeted guard do not appear to have suffered the same effect.

"I summon thee, Tymora's hammer!" Hargrem yells, repositioning his shield to face Durnn, and causing a floating, spectral hammer to appear at the side of the goblin leader. The ghostly hammer smashes down hard in the leader's position, but clanks off Durrn's shield as the hobgoblin leader braces for and escapes the impact.

"Nice trick," Durnn says of Hargrem's spiritual attack, switching to common. He roars as he raises a large curved blade while circling around the shaft in the center of the room. Used to cast two spells moments earlier, Hargrem is unable to bring his shield back around for defensive purposes and feels a deep cut in his right arm as the goblin leader lands a powerful blow. While the cleric is unable to bring his shield back around in time to deflect the powerful slash brought down by Durrn, Sky, realizing the situation, uses her 'cutting words' to distract the common fluent goblin leader, causing its effort to miss, and sparing the party's holy defender a substantial injury.

Grenl, the robed goblin, remains in place on the far side of the room. Seeing Durnn target the divine caster, the goblin shaman extends its hand and points at the same target, projecting from its palm a puff of green, noxious gas with lingers briefly over the cleric's head before dissipating.

Inside the circular domed chamber the two guards to the left follow their leader's lead and rush Hargrem, but the cleric, realizing the seriousness of the situation, manages to successfully fend off the extra pair of slashing attacks. The remaining guard, on the far side of the room, rushes towards Sky but the tabaxi seems almost amused as she easily darts out of the way of the guard's slicing attack.

"Damn it. Why can't people be less aggressive?" Sky purrs, annoyed. She tosses a pinch of sand into the air, and in a voice barely audible over the chaos of battle surrounding her, waves her paw at the goblin directly in front of her -- causing it to fall victim to her 'Sleep' spell and collapse into a deep slumber.
R01, Chamber.jpg
R01, Chamber.jpg (100.7 KiB) Viewed 2110 times
Back outside in the goblin lair, Klilxuac has clearly precipitated the rage of the goblin guards -- three of which target him, with the fourth targeting Kelben. Only the first attack against the sorcerer is successful (-7), with the other three attacks failing to inflict any harm.

Kelben's plan of assisting in the circular chamber are interrupted by the goblin taking a swipe at him with a curved goblin blade. The rogue, with a perfectly placed strike, finishes off his assailant.

Erky, now fully healthy, rushes past the goblin his fellow gnome just felled and looks to stick his dagger into the back of the second goblin, but his attempt is so weak he is unable to get the tip of the blade through the leather armor of his target.
R01, Lair.jpg
R01, Lair.jpg (85.9 KiB) Viewed 2110 times

The battle threatens to rage on!

---

A couple things:
  • Shaede, please make a Constitution saving throw for Hargrem (DC 11) or take 1d12 poison damage from a 'Poison Spray' cantrip.
  • Mr Rose, I can adjust how I adjudicated your 'Sleep' spell to still target the gang surrounding Hargrem... but, given how Sky is now engaged in melee, and how her 'Sleep' could potentially affect Hargrem (after being wounded -- potentially further if he fails his save) before the intended targets, I assumed she would take care of the immediate threat first. But, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

All, please declare any actions and/or movement for round 2.

---

Time: 06:29 (Sunrise: 05:54, Sunset: 20:09)
Light Sources:
  • Hargrem: 'Bane' (on Grenl) (Ends: 14 Flamerule @ 06:39)
  • Hargrem: 'Spiritual Hammer' (Ends: 14 Flamerule @ 06:39)
  • Sky: 'Sleep' (on Guard #3) (Ends: 14 Flamerule @ 6:39)
Character Status ---

Marching Orders
Scout
  • Kelben
5-foot
  • Hargrem
    Kelben
    Sky
    Klilxuac
    Erky
10-foot
  • Kelben | Hargrem
    Erky
    Klilxuac | Sky
Rolls
Last edited by dmw71 on Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edit: Durrn misses Hargrem thanks to Sky's use of 'Cutting Words'
-- Project --
-- DM --

GreyWolfVT

#37 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben goes over and attacks the goblin bothering Erky.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sky

Sky watches as the hobgoblin in front of her falls to the ground and starts snoring. She turns to the only goblin in the room and starts singing once again. Hopefully, this goblin likes lullabies.
Sky casts sleep once more on the spellcasting goblin.

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#39 Post by Shaede »

Hargrem

Hargrem becomes angered at the assault. Thanks to the quick work by Sky, the cleric was able to avoid the swiping blade of Durnn. He smiled at the Tabaxi and set his sights squarely upon the goblin leader. With a few words spoken in praise of the God of Luck, Hargrem prayed for just that - favorable luck and reached out to touch Durn with the back of his fist. His hand was glowing with some unseen magical energy that looked to rot away at the goblin's flesh.

Then, he commanded the weapon to strike out against the spell casting goblin in an attempt to end it's life.
Round 1 Poison Spray Save: [1d20+2] = 16+2 = 18
Action: Cast Inflict Wounds (Lvl 1 Slot):
To Hit: [1d20+5] = 7+5 = 12
Damage: [3d10] = 21
Bonus Action: Move Hammer to goblin mage and Attack
To Hit: [1d20+5] = 5+5 = 10
Damage: [1d8+3] = 5+3 = 8

Scott308

#40 Post by Scott308 »

Qelgrax Klilxuac

Faced with three goblins in front of him, the sorcerer sends a bolt of energy streaking toward each of them.

Return to “Tales From the Yawning Portal (5e)”