Session 3: Day Two in the Citadel

DM: Dave
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Session 3: Day Two in the Citadel

#61 Post by dmw71 »

Chest and Treasure
"Okay, fine..." Durnn snorts, adding an incoherent grumble at the end of his sentence. The goblin leader efforts to get the ring off, but finally does, and tosses it... down the shaft.

"You want it -- go get it."

---

Actions?

---

Date: 14 Flamerule 1489
Time: 06:36 (Sunrise: 05:54, Sunset: 20:09)
Temp: 57°F
Conditions: Cool.
Light Sources:
  • Klilxuac: 'Light' spell (purple; 20' radius + 20' dim) on small pebble (Extinguished: 14 Flamerule @ 7:20)
Known Conditions/Spells in Effect:
  • Klilxuac: 'Light' spell (Cantrip) (Detailed in 'Light Sources' section, above.) (Detailed in 'Light Sources' section, above.)
  • Klilxuac: 'Mage Armor' spell (1st-level) (Ends: 14 Flamerule @ 14:21)
Character Status ---

Marching Orders
Scout
  • Kelben
5-foot
  • Hargrem
    Kelben
    Sky
    Klilxuac
    Erky
10-foot
  • Kelben | Hargrem
    Erky
    Klilxuac | Sky
Rolls
  • None.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#62 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben grabs Durnn and pulls him over to the pit holding him to the edge "You first." and the gnome shoves the goblin leader over the edge.

Ability/Skill/Stat Check Rolls [1d20] = 2
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#63 Post by Shaede »

Hargrem

The cleric sat back and watched as Kelben went to work on the chest. Hargrem was amazed at the amount of loot the orc was able to gather, and it seemed the apple selling business was quite lucrative. When Klilxuac mentioned that some of the jewelry was needed for their mission, Hargrem walked over to Durnn in case Kelben needed some help. Apparently, Durnn had some other ideas for the jewelry.

Kelben attempted to push push the orc down the hole, but with very little luck. His was small statured, after all. So, Hargrem helped him, as any good friend would.
Action: HELP Kelben - Roll again, Kelben. If that doesn't work, I guess Durnn wasn't meant to go.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#64 Post by dmw71 »

Shaede wrote:Kelben attempted to push push the orc down the hole, but with very little luck. His was small statured, after all. So, Hargrem helped him, as any good friend would.

Action: HELP Kelben - Roll again, Kelben. If that doesn't work, I guess Durnn wasn't meant to go.
FYI:
Durnn: Strength contest vs Kelben: [1d20+2] = 17+2 = 19 <--- Target number to beat.

Apparently Durnn is quite steady.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#65 Post by Scott308 »

Qelgrax Klilxuac

The sorcerer sighs. You just had to do this the hard way didn't you? Fine. You've just sealed your fates. With an air of boredom, he sends three purple streaks of energy into Durnn.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#66 Post by dmw71 »

Down Goes Durnn
"You just had to do this the hard way didn't you?" Klilxuac sighs after witnessing Kelben and Hargrem struggle to push the goblin leader down the shaft. The sorcerer expends his final spell of the first power and watches as three purple streaks of energy strike Durnn, one after another, killing the already wounded prisoner instantly.

Now that Durnn can no longer offer any resistance, a more thorough search of his possessions uncovers a potion of healing and two vials of antitoxin.

Also discovered on Grenl, the shaman, are two spell scrolls -- Faerie Fire and Expeditious Retreat.

The group now stands at the short wall surrounding the shaft; down which the golden Hucrele family signet ring was tossed.

---

Please discuss how to distribute any coins or items discovered and make sure to add any items claimed to your character sheet:

Actions?

---

Time: 06:37 (Sunrise: 05:54, Sunset: 20:09)
Light Sources:
  • Klilxuac: 'Light' spell (purple; 20' radius + 20' dim) on small pebble (Extinguished: 14 Flamerule @ 7:20)
  • Klilxuac: 'Light' spell (Cantrip) (Detailed in 'Light Sources' section, above.) (Detailed in 'Light Sources' section, above.)
Character Status ---

Marching Orders
Scout
  • Kelben
5-foot
  • Hargrem
    Kelben
    Sky
    Klilxuac
    Erky
10-foot
  • Kelben | Hargrem
    Erky
    Klilxuac | Sky
Rolls
  • None.
-- Project --
-- DM --

GreyWolfVT

#67 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben "We can split the loot later, if nobody minds I'll take the two keys. We can split the coins now or later doesn't matter to me I have little use for the potions and scrolls. Save for the healing potion. Jewelry is mostly just to hawk later for coin. I say we go down and fetch that ring but there is a lot to uncover here as well." the gnome says.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Scott308

#68 Post by Scott308 »

Qelgrax Klilxuac

I'll take the Expeditious Retreat scroll, as I'm the only one who can use it. Likewise, Sky should get the other scroll. I'll take the gems and jewelry as well. Split up the gold and antitoxins. Klilxuac will quickly check the rest of the room to make sure nothing was skipped.
Are there still two sleeping enemies or did we kill them? If they are still sleeping, we should kill them. I don't relish the thought of them seeking revenge when we come back through.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sky

"Thanks Qelgrax. This should come in handy." She remembers Erky's words and examines the armor Durnn is wearing. "This looks like personal armor crafted for someone. The son perhaps?"

Sky reacts to the sudden snore of the sleeping hobgoblin and moves his way. "Hear me out. I have no love for hobgoblins, nasty brutes. I suspect that our other sleeping prisoner might feel the same way." Sky then plunges her rapier through the skull of the sleeping hobgoblin.

"I suggest we wake the shaman and find out what is really going on here. If there is a problem...well, she's still tied up."

If nobody strenuously objects, Sky will wake the shaman. If someone objects, but not strenuously, she will wake the shaman. :D

GreyWolfVT

#70 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben "I don't trust a goblin spell caster. Even unarmed and tied up they could still cast some sort of voodoo on us. At the very least we should dispatch these hobgoblins." he suggests however switching from common to gnome language.

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#71 Post by Shaede »

Hargrem

Well, things took a turn for the macabre very quickly. Though, Hargrem could not fully blame the dragonborn since it was probably in his blood somewhere. Then, out of nowhere, the gnome suggested killing the sleeping shaman! He addressed the others.

"As far as these ill gotten riches are concerned, divide them amongst yourselves. We can divvy up when we are in a much safer position. Though, the scrolls and potions may come in handy for the remainder of this journey. Klilxuac has some good ideas, and I agree with his distribution."

"But, what I cannot fathom is killing unarmed creatures. This leader," he continued kicking the corpse of Durnn, "probably had them under a tight fist. While we should protect ourselves from any witchcraft by tying the goblin's fingers and mouth, we could still glean valuable information. I cannot condone killing it."

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#72 Post by dmw71 »

Questioning Grenl
After deciding how to split the fruits of their labor, they elect to carefully interrogate their remaining prisoner -- Grenl, the shaman. "Dac o," the terrified goblin caster starts -- in goblin. "Dac o."

Erky watches as everyone looks at each other with a mixture of confused looks or blank stares.
Grenl.jpg
Grenl.jpg (96.24 KiB) Viewed 1788 times

"D-do you want me to translate?" he offers.

---

Let me know what you'd like to ask Grenl.

Also, I've added a name next to each item that has been claimed (please make sure these get added to your character sheet, if they haven't been already). I just need to know who's actually carrying the potions/vials.
  • Potion of Healing -- who will carry?
  • Vials of Antitoxin -- who will carry?
  • Vials of Antitoxin -- who will carry?
  • 231 gold pieces -- Note: I'm going to say the group found an extra gold piece so each share is 58gp.
  • Two small onyx gemstones -- Klilxuac
  • Key from Durnn (for chest) -- Kelben
  • Key from Grenl (for doors) -- Kelben
  • Moonstone earring set -- Klilxuac
  • Moonstone necklace -- Klilxuac
  • Spell Scroll: Faerie Fire (Bard, Druid) -- Sky
  • Spell Scroll: Expeditious Retreat (Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard) -- Klilxuac

Actions?

---

Time: 06:38 (Sunrise: 05:54, Sunset: 20:09)
Light Sources:
Character Status ---

Marching Orders
Scout
  • Kelben
5-foot
  • Hargrem
    Kelben
    Sky
    Klilxuac
    Erky
10-foot
  • Kelben | Hargrem
    Erky
    Klilxuac | Sky
Rolls
  • None.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308

#73 Post by Scott308 »

Qelgrax Klilxuac

The sorcerer takes his share of the gold and a vial of antitoxin. Yes, Erky. Please do. None of us can understand this ugly language, so we will rely on you. Ask him what he knows about Belak and the magic apples. Why does he want the prisoners?

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sky

"Of course. Of course, the shaman doesn't speak common. Thank you for translating Erky." Sky backs away to gather a vial of anti-toxin and offers a few questions for Erky.

"How did Durnn come to be here?"
"What lies below?"

She watches Erky for reactions, not completely trusting him yet.
Insight/perception: [1d20+3] = 16+3 = 19

GreyWolfVT

#75 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben shrugs it off "Translate Erky I'm guessing you had to learn the language of your does right?" thinking that to be sound advice.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#76 Post by dmw71 »

Questioning Grenl
Erky beams as the group seems to place their trust in him, and even require his services. Then, the gnome cocks his head to the side for a moment, seemingly deep in thought, before approaching the goblin caster, acting as menacing as possible. Once the pair are standing face-to-face... the group watches as Ekry draws a blade and holds it to the shaman's throat.

"You speak common, don't you?" he demands.

The shaman, initially, does not reply... so the tip of the gnome's blade begins to prick the surface of the shaman's green, mottled skin.

"Okay, yes. Yes!" the shaman admits.

The gnome turns to face the group, smiling proudly. Sky, having closely observed the gnome during the interrogation, is convinced that the gnome is working in the best interest of the group.

Erky, having established his dominance in the interrogation, presses for the answers to the questions asked.

The shaman shares that the area below is known as the Twilight Grove, and it is run by a wicked old human called Belak — a spellcaster. In the grove is an enchanted garden where Belak harvests fruit -- enchanted fruit -- from something called the Gulthias Tree. His goblins have been selling this enchanted fruit on the surface.

When pressed about referring to the goblins as 'his' goblins, Grenl shares that Durnn and his hobgoblins usurped control of the Durbuluk tribe -- his tribe -- and he secretly hated him, but aided the hobgoblin bully only to protect his tribe.

"Beware of the twig blights," Grenl offers when he suspects the group is considering entering the grove below, seemingly wanting to help. "They're a nuissance."

When it becomes obvious that the group isn't familiar with the twig blights, the shaman volunteers that a twig blight is essentially a plant or woody shrub that can pull its roots free of the ground. When it pulls its roots free of the ground to move, a twig blight’s branches twist together to form a humanoid-looking body with a head and limbs.
Grenl Blight.jpg
Grenl Blight.jpg (61.04 KiB) Viewed 1775 times

He nods his head in the direction of the wide stone pot next to the throne, just off to his right, which houses a small sapling.

---

There's still a Potion of Healing that remains unclaimed. If no one wants it, Erky eyes it with interest and is willing to claim it. :)

Actions?

---

Time: 06:39 (Sunrise: 05:54, Sunset: 20:09)
Light Sources:
Character Status ---

Marching Orders
Scout
  • Kelben
5-foot
  • Hargrem
    Kelben
    Sky
    Klilxuac
    Erky
10-foot
  • Kelben | Hargrem
    Erky
    Klilxuac | Sky
Rolls
  • None.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#77 Post by Shaede »

Hargrem

The cleric listens intently to the shaman's story. "Twig blights, hmm? That does sound 'tricky' indeed. How do we get down to the grove, and where is this Belak? What is the relationship between Belak and Durnn?"

Then, Hargrem speaks to Erky and Kelben in gnomish. "You know, we could give this goblin back his tribe, and I am sure he would be grateful...even helpful. I think we made the right choice allowing him to live. Erky, lighten up a bit on the interrogation. I think there is much we can gain from this one."

GreyWolfVT

#78 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Shaede wrote:Hargrem
Then, Hargrem speaks to Erky and Kelben in gnomish. "You know, we could give this goblin back his tribe, and I am sure he would be grateful...even helpful. I think we made the right choice allowing him to live. Erky, lighten up a bit on the interrogation. I think there is much we can gain from this one."
Kelben gives Hargrem that look of we must be thinking the same thing and nods his agreement. "So that stick there was a twig blight?" he asks the goblin with an eyebrow raised showing his curiosity "Did you slay it yourself?"

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#79 Post by dmw71 »

Final Decisions
"How do we get down to the grove, and where is this Belak?" Hargrem asks after listening intently to the shaman's story. "And what is the relationship between Belak and Durnn?" "The grove, and Belak, are down there," Grenl says, simply pointing down the shaft in the center of this circular room. "The prisoners you're looking for -- except for the one Durnn killed -- are down there as well."

"So that stick there was a twig blight?" Kelben asks, looking at the sapling housed in the wide stone pot next to the throne.

"No," Grenl starts. "That 'stick' is a twig blight! It probably won't do anything now, since it's so young, and since it was Durnn's pet, and he's not around anymore. But, there's more of these down in the grove. Those, you'll want to keep an eye out for."

---

No change from previous map.

Actions?

---

Time: 06:40 (Sunrise: 05:54, Sunset: 20:09)
Light Sources:
Character Status ---

Marching Orders
Scout
  • Kelben
5-foot
  • Hargrem
    Kelben
    Sky
    Klilxuac
    Erky
10-foot
  • Kelben | Hargrem
    Erky
    Klilxuac | Sky
Rolls
  • None.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sky

Listening intently to the shaman's words, Sky comes to a decision. "So, Grenl. How about we make a deal. We're going down there, probably to retrieve the humans. How can you help us? You don't show any interest in going below with us, and if you are the sales department of this Belak you might not want us to disrupt that. So, I ask again. How can you help us? In return, we could find it acceptable to return your tribe to you. We can even share credit for removing Durnn."

Sky notices Erky's eyes flicking to the potion. "Are you coming down with us?"

Return to “Tales From the Yawning Portal (5e)”