Burned Bush Wells

Black Wyvern
Guide
Guide

Burned Bush Wells

#1 Post by Black Wyvern »

As you step out of the Doctor’s office onto the West side of the Main Street* of Burned Bush Wells you see you are at the North end of town. A few cottages are scattered around this area somewhat haphazardly. Many appear to be deserted. The Broken Arrow Stables, where you left your horses last night, is just across the street. The cemetery and undertaker’s house are just north of the stables.

Two businesses share a single double story building just south of the Broken Arrow; Schmidt’s Boarding house is on the North and Dirty Dan’s Saloon is on the south part of the building.

Just south of Dirty Dan’s is the boardwalk area with four two story business built sharing walls and one three story. The northernmost is the Imperial Saloon. Beside it is the Sagebrush Saloon, then the Birdsong Dance Hall and Social Club, then Winston’s Saloon and finally the three story structure is the San Franciscan Hotel.

Just south of the Doctor’s Office is the single story Stage and Assayer’s Office. The building has been closed since the silver played out a couple years back. Sharing the office’s south wall is Sarducci’s Barber Shop, a small single story building. The barber shop shares its south wall with Uncle Al’s Saloon. A stairwell runs up the outside of the saloon’s south wall leading to the rooms on its second story.

Beside that is a large stand alone two story building that houses the Metropolitan Hotel. Just south of the hotel is the Double Eagle Saloon. Then another single story building on the opposite side of the boardwalk that holds Kline’s Saloon, the Lucky Lady Saloon and Singer’s General Store.

At the south end of town on the west side of the street is the Burned Bush Wells Stable.

* Actually just a dirt trail that leads through the buildings that make up the center of Burned Bush Wells.

Note that even with a near blizzard you can see pretty much all there is to see of Burned Bush Wells.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Burned Bush Wells

#2 Post by Zhym »

"That there's a heap o' saloons for such an itty bitty town," observes Ted, shivering. He looks to see if anyone is making for one of the drinking establishments in particular.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Rex »

Nahum

"Looks like there are enough beds for rent to house the entire town too."

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#4 Post by Scott308 »

Samuel "Shootout" Stokes

Seeing the array of drinking establishments in front of them, Stokes starts walking. Dirty Dan's sounds like it's probably the shadiest of the bunch, so I think I'll head over that way. To start, anyway.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#5 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sawbones nods at his friends logic and accompanies him to Dirty Dan's.

"I'm with ya, Shootout! Sides, that ones the closest, and I aim to get outta this cold right quick."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Rex »

Nahum

Nahum follows along behind Sam and Sawbones, to cold to feel very talkative.

wapsii
Strider
Strider

#7 Post by wapsii »

"That is definitely a plus" Rusty says as he follows the group to Dirty Dan's.

Black Wyvern
Guide
Guide

#8 Post by Black Wyvern »

Dirty Dan's Saloon is a low two story wood slat building. A long ornate bar runs most of the length of the building off to the left of the door. There are three round gaming tables sitting in the front of the bar. In the back of the bar is a spiral stair leading up to the second story on the right side and back door on the left with a small storage room between the two. Most of the lower floor is open to the second story with a balcony running over the farthest back of the tables. Giving anyone on the balcony command of the bar and two gaming tables.

The bartender looks to be a cowhand fresh off the ranch. He sports a bushy handlebar mustache. He nods as you enter. "What can I get you fellers?" He asks in a thick Texas accent. There are three men at the closest table, all three grub line riders* by the looks of them. The remaining tables are empty. Fires burn in a couple pot bellies, keeping the bar tolerable warm.

*Cowhands out of work during the winter. Many cowtown establishments would keep a pot of beans on the fire for these hard lucks.

Scott308

#9 Post by Scott308 »

Samuel "Shootout" Stokes

Sitting down at one of the tables, Stokes replies, Whiskey. And whatever you got to eat around here.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Zhym »

The Wichita Kid takes a wary look at the balcony. He sits down near to "Shootout" Stokes—preferably with his back to the wall.

"What he said," Ted says by the way of ordering.

wapsii
Strider
Strider

#11 Post by wapsii »

"I'll take a beer." Rusty says as he takes a seat at the table.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Rex »

Nahum

Nahum takes a seat with his back to the wall and leans his carbine next to him against the well. "Something strong for me bartender, I need to warm up a bit."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#13 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sawbones takes a long look around the establishment before sitting down with the others. When the order is taken for drinks, he adds in his request.

”You got any of that good sarsaparilla?”

Passing the table with the cowhands, he tips his hat.

“Hey fellas! Any news from the range? Or has this storm got you boys shut in?”

Black Wyvern
Guide
Guide

#14 Post by Black Wyvern »

The cowhand turned bartender turns over three shot glasses from under the counter and produces an unmarked bottle of whiskey. He fills each glass and then pours a beer from the tap. "We got beer, whiskey and more beer. I don't got no barmaids and I picked up a powerful limp a couple years back. So ya'll can pay at the bar. Ten cents fer the Kansas sheep dip and five fer the hop juice. You can help yerselves to the pot o' whistle berries and the black water if you have a mind to. Dan keeps them out fer charity." He says setting the mug of beer down on the bar and motions at the grub liners when he says "charity". He pulls out an empty tin can that has the word "peaches" written on it and sets it down on the bar for Sawbones to get coffee in if he chooses to.

One of the grub liners, an old grizzled looking fellow, nods at Sawbones. "Ye-ah its deadly out ther right now. We tried ur hand at collectin' wolf bounties but Quick Pete nearly got ate. So we called it off." He turns to the bartender and raises his voice. "Better charity cases than fertilizer."
Last edited by Black Wyvern on Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#15 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sawbones chuckles at the grizzled mans logic as he fills his peach can with coffee.

"Dang, and I thought this place looked rustic from the outside."

"We just helped out your good doctor as he was about to get ate by some wolves. Stayed the night at his place afterwards. Seems like a nice feller."

He heads back to the bar for more hospitality.

"Names McCoy, but most just call me Sawbones. So, what other niceties does this beautiful little speck on the map have to offer, friend? Any good action around lately?"

Scott308

#16 Post by Scott308 »

Samuel "Shootout" Stokes

Shootout walks over to the bar, slapping a dime down on the counter before downing his shot. Putting a nickel down, he says, Might as well give me a beer as long as I'm at the bar. He'll then take his beer and wander over to help himself to some of the food. Tipping his hat, he says I 'preciate the chow.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Rex »

Nahum

Nahum heads for the bar, drops his coin and takes his whiskey. Nodding to the barkeep he heads for the chow.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Zhym »

Ted doesn't say anything out loud, but he wonders to himself if any of the saloons in town are any fancier than this. The choices here seem a mite limited. And basic.

wapsii
Strider
Strider

#19 Post by wapsii »

Rusty deposits a nickle into the tin before taking a sample of the chow.
"How much is the bounty on wolves and how do you collect? We ran into a pack last night and thinned it some."

Black Wyvern
Guide
Guide

#20 Post by Black Wyvern »

The cowhand bartender's face pinches up. "The bounties is about the only action ya'll er gonna find in Burned Bush Wells. Snow's too deep to make a safe trip ta Promise City an' only folk in town are these drifters an town folk. I guess there is a couple a' gamblers got caught behind the weatha but tha' don't come ta Pete's. Phil Singer, over tha General Store is offering $9 for wolf pelts and $6 fer coyotes. Most the grub liners are tryin' ta collect as much as they can. Hell four wolf pelts pay as much as a month a riding the line."

A small thin man in a nice brown suit wearing a bowler comes in and quickly shuts the door as a flurry of snow follows him. "Nother cold one out there taday gents." he says as he approaches the bar, slaps down a nickel and turns his back to the bar to face the room, not paying any attention to the beer the bartender is pouring him. He pulls off his left glove and starts flipping a double eagle as he leans back on the bar and takes in the room. "You gents must be the ones that rode in with our good doctor last night. Eh? What brings you to our little town?" His coat drifts open as he shifts his weight on the bar to reveal a gunfighter cut Colt Peacemaker. He smiles like a rattler waiting for an answer, still ignoring the beer that now sits on the bar behind him.

Return to “Go Heeled [Boot Hill 2nd Edition]”