Action Thread 5

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Action Thread 5

#61 Post by Argennian »

Zafalia quietly scrutinizes the freshly slain plant-man and the pod he came out of for a few moments*. She rejoins the others and offers her thoughts.

“I am inclined to agree with those that share feelings of cleansing these abominations to the nature mother. I would see this place consumed by oil and fire as well but for the smoke that would surely erase our advantage of surprise. Let us leave this place as is for now and continue forward, that we may clear the denizens of this place. Mayhap those giant rats will return here, as they do from time to time and be satiated with the feast rather than our ramblings down here!”

OOC/Edit: * Ron: it appears that I lost my previous post & pm about the above stuff. Zaf was just seeing if she noticed anything different about a freshly-born plant-man versus the ones they faced in the cavern above earlier. She's trying to use her knowledge of flora and fauna to deduce possible weak spots or interesting differences.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#62 Post by Alethan »

"An even better idea, my woodsy friend,"remarks Ilhalevar. "Let the rats know they have a feast awaiting them, with no chance of harm. They will do our work for us - and in a more natural, quieter way."
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by rredmond »

Day 1 – 12:17p

The party discusses burning versus not burning. Meanwhile Al'Zur hopes the stream and starts inspecting the wall.

Varkos starts poking around the fishy mush under the pods with his sword, making him a bit nauseous, but finds really nothing. The only strange thing is that one of the pods (one of the ones that were previously open and empty, not one of the two that just burst open) has no fish sauce under it. It's the one that rests a bit higher than the others. Pretty much all the rest have slimey puddles underneath, in various stages of freshness, but all rough smelling.

Odo starts poking about with walls as well. Zafalia starts poking around the scarecrow creatures, noting that they are shambling, humanlike plant things with strange gaps in their bodies and knobby growths of fungus sprouting from their outer surface. These fresher ones seem to have less fungal growths but are otherwise quite similar to the first ones you met, same wooden key fingers and everything.

HPs: Malak - 15/15; Varkos - 22/22; Ilhalevar - 8/8; Al'Zur- 7/7; SoT - 25/25; Wulfgard - 12/12; Zafalia - 11/11; Odo - 17/17; Rake - 6/6
WIH: Malak: short sword; Varkos: long sword; Ilhalevar: quarterstaff; Al'Zur: long sword; SoT: Spear, shield; Wulfgard: staff; Zafalia: spear, shield; Odo: short sword; Rake: long sword
MO (10’): 1- Zafalia and Varkos and Malak; 2- Odo and Rake and SoT and Ilhalevar; 3- ; 4- Al'Zur (back to one side of the cavern opening); 5- Wulfgard; 6-
Consumables: Hooded lamp (Zafalia) - 4 hours left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 45 minutes (Malak), 40' radius; Torch, 47 minutes (Rake), 40' radius; Torch, 47 minutes (Odo), 40' radius; Torch, 60 minutes (off), 40’ radius.
--------Spells: Ilhalevar: 1-1/2; Al'Zur: 1-1/1; Wulfgard: 1-4/4, 2-2/2; Zafalia: 1-3/4, 2-3/3

This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#64 Post by Nuke66 »

Al'Zur speaks up. "Looky here, not sure what to make of it, but it is here."

He bends to clear the seam of any dirt, making it obvious to even the most casual observer.

"Interesting, I'd guess some type of pressure switch, either on the wall or floor, but I cannot seem to locate it."

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by tkrexx »

Ah! I'd nearly forgotten the keeness of Elven eyesight! The Ranger is most pleased, and will check the floor around the concealed door for sign.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by Argennian »

rredmond wrote:... Zafalia starts poking around the scarecrow creatures, noting that they are shambling, humanlike plant things with strange gaps in their bodies and knobby growths of fungus sprouting from their outer surface. These fresher ones seem to have less fungal growths but are otherwise quite similar to the first ones you met, same wooden key fingers and everything.
Zafalia finishes her examinations of the freshly cut down plant-men with an unsatisfied look to her visage. She will take a small sample of the fungus, wrap it up and stash it for future examinations.

rredmond wrote:... Varkos starts poking around the fishy mush under the pods with his sword, making him a bit nauseous, but finds really nothing. The only strange thing is that one of the pods (one of the ones that were previously open and empty, not one of the two that just burst open) has no fish sauce under it. It's the one that rests a bit higher than the others. Pretty much all the rest have slimey puddles underneath, in various stages of freshness, but all rough smelling.
She looks over to see Varkos examining the pods and their muck moves over next to him. “Did you find anything of interest here, friend?”
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by rredmond »

The elf and the ranger search together, they have clearly found a compartment door, too small for a secret door being about 2' by 2'. But they are both baffled as to how it opens.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#68 Post by Vargr1105 »

Rake comes ambling about to where the elf and the ranger stand and finds them nonplussed about how to open the door.

"What do w got here? Closed? No lock hole? Well, as my thief mas..ahem tutor used to say: Somedays ye unlock it, some ye crack it open and some you just bust it open."

He looks around for a moment. "Who is the strongest in out party? Varkos? Varkos, get over here. Give the man an ax and stand clear. We'll have it open in no time.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#69 Post by Alethan »

Ilhalevar approaches the secret door and examines it closely to see if she can tell how it is opened.

OOC: Where is the secret door located specifically in the room? Wall? Floor? Can you put an "x" on the map to indicate it's location?

If it is near a wall, she examines the wall more closely, looking for what might be a similar key opening to what was at the top of the waterfall. If she finds nothing, she goes over to one of the freshly killed shamblings, cuts off one of their hands, and places it on the 2'x2' door, saying, "well, it's worth a try..."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by rredmond »

Picture updated here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=482&p=17720#p17720

The door is about at the white X on the wall. It's about 6 inches up from the floor and yes is 2' by 2', or so it seems.

Placing the scarecrow creature hand on the door doesn't seem to do anything.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#71 Post by saalaria »

She looks over to see Varkos examining the pods and their muck moves over next to him. “Did you find anything of interest here, friend?”[/quote]

"nothing here Zaf....unless you love the smell of fish!"

Varkos ambles over to the others by the secret door in response to his name being called.
He scabbards his sword and flexes his arm muscles, warming up for a workout.

"Anyone got an axe?" he enquires.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by Argennian »

saalaria wrote:
Argennian wrote:She looks over to see Varkos examining the pods and their muck moves over next to him. “Did you find anything of interest here, friend?”
"nothing here Zaf....unless you love the smell of fish!"

Varkos ambles over to the others by the secret door in response to his name being called.
He scabbards his sword and flexes his arm muscles, warming up for a workout.

"Anyone got an axe?" he enquires.
Zafalia watches Varkos move over to assist in the breaching of the potential small passage or hidey hole. She then turns to more closely examine the one unusual pod that is free of the fish-muck puddle below it.

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by tkrexx »

Son of Thunder moves out of the obviously stronger Varkos' path. It is only the tomahok, but you are welcome to it.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#74 Post by Nuke66 »

Al'Zur begins to look around the wall and floor nearby, searching for the release mechanism. "I'm not so sure beating on it is going to work. But it will make a lot of noise."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by Argennian »

Zafalia notates the details about the unique hanging pod and moves back over to the passage proper while the others consider the best way to breach the hidden portal. She will take up a guarding position opposite of where the party entered, moving just to the far side of the cavern near the continuing passage but still in the room. She will concentrate on seeing if she can hear anything beyond or see anything with her infravision.

OOC: Ron, just as a general descriptor, how loud is it down here in these tunnels? Can we hear the underground stream or rushing water in the cavern? just curious if there is enough background or ambient noise to somewhat cover our normal conversation/speaking, or if we are being a blunderingly loud lot while we're here presently! :)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#76 Post by Distorted Humor »

Odo asks "what do you see" to the party member on guard...

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by rredmond »

Argennian wrote: OOC: Ron, just as a general descriptor, how loud is it down here in these tunnels? Can we hear the underground stream or rushing water in the cavern? just curious if there is enough background or ambient noise to somewhat cover our normal conversation/speaking, or if we are being a blunderingly loud lot while we're here presently! :)
The stream is moving but isn't generally that loud, but the place is echoey, so the stream get's more echos than your voices.
As long as there isn't any yelling you think you'll be safe.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#78 Post by saalaria »

Varkos stands uncertainly - waiting to see if the majority want him to attack the door.
"Shall I strike?" he enquires.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#79 Post by Alethan »

"I do not believe such was the intention for its use when it was created... no doubt there is SOME mechanism or method to open it that does not involve smashing it in."

Ilhalevar tries pressing or sliding the "door" in all directions and iterations in an attempt to get it to open. If that doesn't work, then she'll begin examining the wall on either side of the panel, looking for something that might resemble a keyhole.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by tkrexx »

The Ranger watches Varkos approach the concealed compartment, then looks back from where his companion came from. One eyebrow raises slightly. Does anyone else find it odd that only one of these coccoons has no goo beneath it, the same that hangs higher than the rest?

Return to “Pod-Caverns Of The Sinister Shroom”