Expedition: Ablesforth: The Demon Hole: Part 2 - 30 Aug 2021

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition: Ablesforth: The Demon Hole: Part 2 - 30 Aug

#421 Post by Marullus »

It would be difficult, and one at a time, and it will break your protection. :)

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#422 Post by Spearmint »

Idriss

With the demon heads webbed, we have a window of opportunity to exit without delay. Let us save oil and water for when we need it.

Another delaying tactic while they are in the Web, I could cast 'stinking cloud'. It will disable the sniffers especially if they are kept bound in the web and we should exit the quickest way out the hole.

Do we rake Dolph, his head or body with us?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#423 Post by Zhym »

See this map:
Demon Hole p1 - web.png
Demon Hole p1 - web.png (288.12 KiB) Viewed 978 times
I had intended Pendleton's group to go all the way past the doorway marked A—that's the first point on the map where we had multiple explored exits. Webbing sniffers there doesn't trap Able and Idriss on one side of the web with any sniffers that didn't get caught. But it looks like we might be at B? Which, technically, still leaves an escape route for Able and Idriss, but through unexplored territory. And the two of them would still have to kill or evade the three remaining sniffers.

My plan was to have Pendleton snag most of the sniffers in a web in a place where the templars could go around and finish off any who didn't get caught. This spot probably works, but I don't know if the different location is because I wasn't clear enough or because my plan was overambitious.

Either way, I think Pendleton, the thieves, the Templars, and the webbed sniffers are all out of range and line of sight from any spell Idriss could cast at the moment. At least until he makes it through the labyrinth.

How long are the sniffers likely to stay stuck? Is it a matter of rounds, or turns?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#424 Post by Marullus »

Fair enough - you fled four rounds (6 more for Ablesforth to follow the maze) and are at Doorway A instead.

Reaching his planned doorway, Pendleton is disappointed to find it locked. With sniffers fast on his heels, they escape through the adjacent archway and web it behind them.

They are webbed 2d4 turns.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#425 Post by Zhym »

Thanks.

I forget—did the thieves already try to unlock Door A today?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#426 Post by Spearmint »

Idriss

Sorry, am a bit lost with where everyone is. Map is great though. I (Idriss), had expected the rooms below the cavern to be no more than a small dungeon for the goblin king, not this labyrinth of odd rooms to different gods or idols. I have a feeling that the prospective mage tower here needs to wait a bit.

With 'mission accomplished' , Idriss just wants quickest exit. I thought the demon heads were wandering along the maze to get to the centre oc it by the portal, following the eyes? If they have followed the others to the 'headless statue' room then Idriss and Able are cut off behind them?

Shouting "Make for the sea goddess room" as a place to meet up.

Hope that makes sense.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#427 Post by Zhym »

Spearmint wrote:I (Idriss), had expected the rooms below the cavern to be no more than a small dungeon for the goblin king, not this labyrinth of odd rooms to different gods or idols. I have a feeling that the prospective mage tower here needs to wait a bit.
According to what Marullus said earlier, this is just a small part of a fairly sprawling labyrinth. But everyone involved is about ready to be done with this location, and Marullus has been putting other expeditions on hold pending wrapping this up. So I think we'll be able to hand-wave cleaning out the rest of the dungeon now that the main threat is taken care of. We won't get lots of loot, but then, if the gold is cursed, do we want it?

Or maybe the dungeon stays more or less as it is and we build the tower on top of it to keep it under control. I'm not quite sure how Marullus plans to have the plot points work. But I don't think anyone here is planning on exploring the whole dungeon.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#428 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Maybe this is where Foxy ought to go then. ;)

Anyhow, I am hopeful that the dungeon is running low on Sniffers. At least they cannot be replenished once killed. Probably still a good idea to use the holy water, since they will regenerate without it. Able will want to take Dolph out of the dungeon if at all feasible. He will be willing to spend the night in the dungeon; he can use his Eruanna blessing to keep most enemies out.

As a player, I'd like to deliver a bit on the way out. We all need coin to level up and pay folks back for this expedition. Also, the goblins mentioned gems on our first delve, didn't they? Gotta get'em!!! :P

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#429 Post by Spearmint »

Idriss

If all the half heads are webbed between us, Idriss does have holy water x5 flasks. I suppose burning the infernal and unnatural creatures once and for all will help secure the place. But really needs to do this on trapped creatures as Idriss is a bit fragile in melee.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#430 Post by Zhym »

Spearmint wrote:But really needs to do this on trapped creatures as Idriss is a bit fragile in melee.
So is Pendleton. Fortunately, we have Jacques, who is a big strong Templar.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#431 Post by Marullus »

Zhym wrote:I forget—did the thieves already try to unlock Door A today?
I think they did. If you check and confirm otherwise, I will allow a redo.

Pendleton is with Jaques, Molay, Rhe, Kerr, and Sigmund on the far side of the webbing, the archway now fully clogged with web-caught demonspawn. The Templars take their own initiative to splash oil on the webbing, increasing it's flammability in case they need to incinerate this batch.

Ablesforth and Idriss, leaving the glowing eyeballs behind, carefully navigate the maze on the floor. They see the eyeballs smack against invisible barriers, trapped inside the pattern. With the sniffers ahead, the pair is able to hurry through the throne room, the place where Dolph's body lies, and the slime room. Ahead in the statue room, they see three of the blind sniffers snarling and frustrated, then a wall of webbing in which all the others are trapped...

Date: 02 September 2021, 4:26pm
Light: Rhe's Torch (until 4:50pm)
Effects: Protection from Evil (Able, Pendleton, Idriss, Dolph, Jacques, Molay); Invisibility (Pendleton); Idriss' mirror image (until 4:30pm)
Injuries: Dolph (Dead); Ablesforth (minorly injured); Jacques (superficially injured)

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#432 Post by Spearmint »

Idriss

"Ablesworth, the way I see the circus going is that while those clowns are stuck we have a window of opportunity to deal with these three here. Got to get committed all in ..."

The mirror images follow suit to Idriss and take flasks of holy water and throw at a nearby demonspawn. Only one actual attack happens.

(Could he prepare and throw two 1st round?).

Mirror Idray ( plural of mirror Idrisses), should be the focus of retaliatory attacks first.

thrown attack with holy water [1d20+2] = 12+2 = 14Holy water damage [1d8] = 5

Seeing the flask hit and the spawn wither and burn, Idriss gets closer and unleashes a second flask.

thrown attack with holy water, short range vs thac0 18 [1d20+3] = 8+3 = 11 [1d8] = 6

Not as good as the demon head ducked the incoming.

3 flasks left.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#433 Post by Zhym »

Marullus wrote:
Zhym wrote:I forget—did the thieves already try to unlock Door A today?
I think they did. If you check and confirm otherwise, I will allow a redo.
You are correct: viewtopic.php?f=353&t=7646&start=280#p397764

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#434 Post by Marullus »

Holding for Ablesforth. Post two rounds. (Pendleton can act on the other side of the webs.)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#435 Post by Marullus »

Marullus wrote:Rusty Tincanne asked me to let folks know he has a family emergency and will be offline for a brief hold until it resolves. He intends to return as soon as he can and remains excited to play/GM things. Please keep him and his family in your prayers and thoughts.
I will NPC Ablesforth and move this forward as soon as I get a chance.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#436 Post by Marullus »

Idriss takes the lead, opting to destroy the three demonspawn rather than maintain their divine protections; protecting his weaker companion, Ablesforth brandishes his silver-plated setting maul and does the same.

Idriss hurls a flask of water, hitting the first half-head. (-5) It hisses in pain and lunges forward at the Templar wizard, but it swings wildly, not connecting even with the mirror-Idrissi. Ablesforth steps forward and crushes the flailing demonspawn (-7) - it meets its final end as the holy water consecrates its remains.

The other two spawn try to rush towards the party as well, but falter and fumble into the masses of webbing which now protrude out from the wall. (Both critical fumbles) The largest demonspawn is fully ensnared, only getting more entangled as he tries to wrest himself free. The other is lucky and pulls itself free while Ablesforth advances and clubs it hard with his maul (-6). It lashes out as it frees itself, but then is crushed by the maul a second time... this time with finality (-10).

With the third one hopeless mired in the webbing with the others, the immediate threat has passed and the group can decide their way forward once more. They face the locked door which already stymied the thieves and a mass of webbing which the demonspawn are quickly making headway against.

Realizing he already used his hammer's knack for door opening, Ablesforth tries brute strength. -BOOM- The maul shatters the locked door from its hinges, opening the way to the room littered with bone fragments, where the lizards once laired.

Actions?

Date: 02 September 2021, 4:30pm
Effects: Protection from Evil (Able, Pendleton, Idriss, Dolph, Jacques, Molay); Invisibility (Pendleton); Idriss' mirror image (until 4:30pm)
Injuries: Dolph (Dead); Ablesforth (minorly injured); Jacques (superficially injured)

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#437 Post by Spearmint »

Idriss

I thin we should despatch the demon half-heads as quickly as we can. To that end Idriss empties some of the remaining three vials of liquid over the top of those stuck in the webs.

thrown attack with holy water, short range vs thac0 18 [1d20+3] = 19+3 = 22 [1d8] = 4 thrown attack with holy water, short range vs thac0 18 [1d20+3] = 4+3 = 7 [1d8] = 5, saving the last one to baptise the dead one, as they regenerate hit points by pouring the flask over the prone body as he prays a recital of 'the End is Nigh' prayer for the dead and dying. (-8hp?).

When the demonspawn are no longer a problem we should gather again as one group and exit.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#438 Post by Marullus »

Pendleton?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#439 Post by Zhym »

"Let's go," says Pendleton. "I will use webs to delay any more demonspawn that follow us."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#440 Post by Marullus »

The Templars make short work of skewering the webbed demonspawn, fervently upkeeping the vows of their order. Idriss' two vials of holy water are sufficient to consecrate the remains, their bodies disintigrating to ash as the webbing collapses around them. This batch, at least, can serve their masters no longer.

Idriss and Ablesforth are able to pass through the doorway, with the webbing gone, and join the rest of the group. Hurrying outward, the group then passes through the chamber where you slew the rats and into the room that once was a dining room. You pause as you see a dozen goblins already in the room, hurrying from the opposite door towards the door on the right which you also intend to take to the statue room. They're loaded with full backpacks and look rather terrified, but not by you. Some pause as they see you, looking at you appraisingly with your guttering torch, but a few barely spare you a glance, hurrying onward...

Actions?

Date: 02 September 2021, 4:50pm

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”