Silver Eel Tavern (OOC Discussion)

Sapperzz
Scout
Scout

Re: Silver Eel Tavern (OOC Discussion)

#141 Post by Sapperzz »

Man you are hilarious Wintermute! Your character is going to get us both killed, the crazy oaf!

Wintermute
Scout
Scout

#142 Post by Wintermute »

Thanks. Hlalf needs to continue being a fleeting luck magnet, because after this adventure his actual luck will probably be 0!

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#143 Post by Enoch »

Don't worry overmuch about that; Lankhmar is a lot more forgiving of spending permanent Luck (and recovering it).
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#144 Post by drpete »

You'll be able to regain permanent luck through "carousing", though this will tend to generate problems in itself (like making an enemy of a wizard, waking up in the wrong bed, or something similar)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#145 Post by Marullus »

Oh, that's interesting. The main book describes it as a function of religion, so I expected I'd have to do things through my Patron to regain luck (which makes sense, pleasing the God of Fate). Narratively, can I "carouse" by-Patron and flavor my consequences that way, or does my outcast-outdoorsman need to city-socialize to get more lucky? :)

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#146 Post by drpete »

Well, the carousing system is a variation on various "carousing" systems you can find on the internet. You choose how "wild" you want to go, and roll some dice. The higher those dice turn out, the more luck your regain, but (likely) the more crazy of a situation you end up in.

The situations aren't "party" specific,... you could find that you were robbed, or that you pissed off the Overlord, or that you gave all your money away in a fit of idealism. Essentially, they do require you to give up control of your character's actions to a roll of the die. I guess the flavor of why you got in that hot water could be tweaked, or some other method of regaining luck could be found.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#147 Post by Marullus »

Cool. We'll figure it out after the dice are rolled. :)

Wintermute
Scout
Scout

#148 Post by Wintermute »

I'm going to have to buy the full Lankhmar book. I like everything about it. Now to find some of the books to read...

Sapperzz
Scout
Scout

#149 Post by Sapperzz »

Leiber is rare to come by, I found a copy of his novella "A Spectre is Haunting Texas" so I'm gonna start with that to see if I like his style.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#150 Post by shaidar »

drpete

I was wondering how our magic might be affecting by our reduced size, we wil be generating reduced spell effects?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#151 Post by drpete »

shaidar wrote:drpete

I was wondering how our magic might be affecting by our reduced size, we wil be generating reduced spell effects?
Good question!

The short answer is... maybe? :)

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#152 Post by shaidar »

I thought that might be the answer

:-)

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#153 Post by drpete »

Since it's coming up more, a word or two about the thieves guild...

Rather than a loose confederation of thieves, imagine something like a very big gang with a central leadership. Members are sent out on jobs organized centrally, and they attempt to enforce a "no freelancing" policy, under penalty of death.

In other words, regardless of what you say now, a confrontation of sorts is probably coming with the thieves guild, eventually.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#154 Post by drpete »

Just to confirm... there was some talk about having dropped some of the tools up at the 3rd floor landing... did you want to retcon that in as part of moving Hlalf and Saal up to the 2nd floor?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#155 Post by Marullus »

The original request was to drop the tools before flying around the house, but we never put it in the narrative. I thought retconning it might cause too many complications (dropping tools next to the cat likely spooks the cat and brings it down on us), so I didn't push to add it in.

In my follow-up post I then tried to resolve it:
The owl rests with a taloned foot on the set of tools. He suggests that when delivering the tools upstairs he could try to hit the cat, then smiles.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#156 Post by drpete »

Ah, ok, yeah... that makes sense.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#157 Post by drpete »

Apologies for the delay folks. Went to a wedding tonight, and I think im not going to get an update done until tomorrow!

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#158 Post by Marullus »

drpete wrote: This would be ok, but the owl feather was used up when you summoned the owl. Animal summoning says you must have some material remnant to "expend" in casting the spell. Any other idea?
Well shit. That sucks. :-o
I thought I had two animal types, not two animals total. I need to really prioritize taxidermy of everything, and fast...
:)

As for the sleep spell, I already expressed confusion. Is that component also consumed? What is the proper consumable, then, for the kiss of a handsome prince?

Normally, I cast outside and would choose celestial triggers. Sunrise, moonset, midnight, etc. Is that okay?

Here indoors, I have no components... The duration is short so the trigger is superfluous, which is more arduous.

Can I just pick something in the scene related to the story? "When the outside door opens?"
"When our size returns?"
"When someone calls, 'here kitty, kitty"?

AureoBuendia
Scout
Scout

#159 Post by AureoBuendia »

"expend"... whoops. My bear summoning players are not going to be happy about that one.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#160 Post by drpete »

Now, I'm just reading what the spells say, and trying to apply them... I'm new to dcc, myself.

That said, animal summoning totally says that it gets expended, but sleep says you must possess it, but it doesn't explicitly say it gets used up.

This is an object or item related to your end condition. It is definitely a puzzle for you to figure out a condition related to something you have. Not a breeze, or the sky, but an item, a material component.

This seems to be like picking up a frog and saying you are cursed until you kiss a frog that turns into a prince. Or holding up a pocket watch and saying you will sleep until the clock strikes 12. Or... hrmmmm... something operating in that same sort of dream logic. Until I take my shoes off... until someone sneezes into this handkerchief (or sneezes, but you are just holding a handkerchief).

The object doesn't have to directly feature in the condition, except metaphorically. Spit might be spit, or water or a reference to cleaning, or...?

If it makes you feel better about these limitations, you're character seems extremely powerful for a starting character, as is...

Return to “DrPete's Lankhmar Game (DCC)”