OOC I

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: OOC I

#141 Post by dmw71 »

BearSiren817 wrote:Okay thank you. Posted second roll in case.
Out of curiosity, why do you think you might have disadvantage?
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#142 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I assume we need to state that we are using inspiration before we roll when attacking?

Could Louchi have used her Hidden Step as they climbed up? Could she use it now?

Fellow Players: Please feel free to suggest actions if I am missing opportunities to do Reactions, Bonus Actions, etc. Thanks! :D

BearSiren817
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#143 Post by BearSiren817 »

If she is dodging or using uncanny dodge. Sorry uncanny dodge would just half the damage. Dodging as an action gives disadvantage.
Azalea, 1st level Rogue, Dave’s Urban Campaign

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#144 Post by Scott308 »

Louchi could definitely Hidden Step as a bonus action on this turn. She'd be invisible until the start of her next turn, so she'd be much harder for the cultists to hit her as they would have disadvantage. Alternately, she could use her bonus action at the start of her turn to Hidden Step, and then have advantage on her attack roll.

Hidden Step is the only bonus action she has. She doesn't have any features or traits that allow her to use her reaction, so unless someone presents her with an attack of opportunity or she readies an action, which would use her reaction when triggered, there really isn't anything else she can react to, either.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#145 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Ok, thanks!

When I played 5E a few years ago, I don't remember there being so many options.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#146 Post by Rex »

Having never played 5e before I have no clue what you are talking about so don't be surprised if Asmundr leaves stuff on the table, especially in combat.

Scott308

#147 Post by Scott308 »

Not a problem, Rex. On your character sheet on D&D Beyond, on the right side you'll see the different actions your character can take. Default view will start with combat actions at the top. There are tabs for Bonus and Reaction. Some class or racial features as well as feats or spells allow you to take a bonus action or to use your reaction when something specific occurs. Asmundr doesn't have any special actions he is able to take yet. Having said that, everyone does have the option of using two weapons. The second weapon would be used as a bonus action. If you do attack with a second weapon this way, you do not add the modifier bonus to damage, unless you have an ability or feat that specifies you can. There are other rules as well, describing what weapons you are able to use for this. When I play a rogue, I usually like to have a weapon in my off hand so that even though I may not be able to add my dex bonus to the dagger attack, it gives my rogue a second chance at being able to inflict sneak attack damage.

Everyone also has the ability to make an attack of opportunity as a reaction, if an enemy you are in melee range with moves out of your reach, unless they disengage in order to do so. You only get one reaction in a round, and this is the one action that does not get taken on your turn, as you have to react to what someone else is doing. A common example would be if a barbarian moved into melee with a wizard and hits her with an attack. The wizard may cast Shield in order to defend against the attack and make him miss. At that point, if the barbarian decides to move away, the wizard would not be able to make an opportunity attack as their reaction had already been used for the round.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

BearSiren817
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#148 Post by BearSiren817 »

When I play a rogue, I usually like to have a weapon in my off hand so that even though I may not be able to add my dex bonus to the dagger attack, it gives my rogue a second chance at being able to inflict sneak attack damage.
Sneak attack can only be used once per turn. But if you are saying it is a second chance for it to be applied because you may have missed the first attack then I understand.
Azalea, 1st level Rogue, Dave’s Urban Campaign

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#149 Post by Rex »

Thanks for the explanation Scott, I don't get any combat bonus for attack or damage. Such is being a mage type. Makes it easier in this regard anyways.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#150 Post by dmw71 »

Sorry for the delay, all. I've been tasked with a new project which is really dominating my free time, and will almost certainly have an affect on my availability.

I will continue to update my games as best I can, but please forgive a hopefully slight slowdown in my activity.

---

Thanks, Scott, for stepping in and speaking to the rules and explaining bonus actions/reactions. As mentioned, these can all be found on your character sheet in this section (note, I scrolled down past the 'Actions' section to show the 'Bonus Actions' and 'Reactions' sections):
Bonus Actions Reactions.jpg
Bonus Actions Reactions.jpg (130.04 KiB) Viewed 703 times
Definitely feel free to ask questions, about this specific game, 5e in general, or anything else. Scott probably knows the rules better than anyone, but I've been playing now for almost a year and feeling pretty comfortable with them as well (and I really like 5e).[/ooc]
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308

#151 Post by Scott308 »

BearSiren817 wrote:
When I play a rogue, I usually like to have a weapon in my off hand so that even though I may not be able to add my dex bonus to the dagger attack, it gives my rogue a second chance at being able to inflict sneak attack damage.
Sneak attack can only be used once per turn. But if you are saying it is a second chance for it to be applied because you may have missed the first attack then I understand.
Precisely. There are many times my rogue misses with her rapier but hits with the dagger. I want to get that 4d6 damage every chance I can, although sometimes she would rather disengage and get away instead of taking that second attack, even if she wasn't able to hit and do sneak attack damage with the first attack.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#152 Post by ravenn4544 »

Does Garl and Sandro see the bad guys coming up the ladder and free to attack or is this all still behind the curtain?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#153 Post by dmw71 »

You two are still in the reception area on the other side of the curtain. You'll learn of the cultists if/once you join the others.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308

#154 Post by Scott308 »

Since Joy is down, do I need to post Sandro going to see what is going on behind the curtain/ attacking any cultists that enter the reception area? Keep my attack rolls, since they are for the current round and he's gonna attack somebody.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#155 Post by dmw71 »

We'll keep your attack rolls (since this wouldn't be an issue at an actual table). You can post how you plan to move behind the curtain if you'd like; otherwise, I'll just assume that's what you do.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#156 Post by dmw71 »

If I don't receive an action for Azalea later today, I will NPC.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#157 Post by dmw71 »

FYI...

My mother, who's not in the best of health to begin with, took a fall while in vacation in Disney World yesterday and has bleeding in her brain. A situation complicated, I guess, by the fact that she takes blood thinners.

My youngest brother is there with her, and has been providing me updates. If I wasn't so busy at work (and also backing up a co-worker all week), I'd almost certainly fly out to be there myself... and still may.

I will attempt to get caught up on all of my games, but may need a few days to sort through things going on.
-- Project --
-- DM --

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#158 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Take all the time you need, Dave.

I hope everything works out ok for you.

Scott308

#159 Post by Scott308 »

The game isn't important. Do whatever you need to take care of family things. We'll be here whenever you are ready. Hope things go well.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#160 Post by Rex »

What Scott said.

Return to “Dave's 5e Urban Investigation”